• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy ~The Lords of the Magistone~

"Nice to meet you Modrin," Skyre nodded back. "I wouldn't say angry, no, but just a little apprehensive about your arrival; I think they were surprised by your arrival." Although the boy was young, Skyre thought him old enough to not need patronisation. He thought back to his days of being that age, when he had still preferred solitude in his village, the times when he would camp out beneath the stars, lost in his own fantasies. He'd lacked his present social skills and maturity then, but still liked to think we would have been brave had he been put into the same circumstances as the boy.

"In terms of food, not with us, no." Skyre turned to address the entire company. "We have a camp of several survivors back in the east though where I imagine people would have been hunting for lunch. That was why we came here, to invite you two to join us, and now you too Modrin." Skyre dismissed any suspicions of the newcomers; besides, feeding them and showing them hospitality would at least give them more time, especially Modrin, to show their integrity.

His posture eased. Where he'd once appeared the meek and dejected child he now stood his full height, eyes glistening with rekindled hope. "Thank you," he said happily, even though his lips refused to curl upward. Then, a frown came to his face. "I heard there had been more attacks but I never thought...are we all that's left?"

Glad to hear that there were more survivors and that he'd get a chance to meet them, Modrin dropped his guard completely. "I would've slain some of those shadowy things myself if I knew how to fight like a knight, but I don't. I can fish and sail, but I can't fight. I don't think I can kill either." Bewildered by his own openess he retreated a pace and apologized. "I am sorry if I talk too much, I haven't seen many people in a while. No one really," he added thoughtfully.

The sound of light foot steps brought Ethan's attention to Ari who returned from her patrol. His eyes widen a bit when the kettle he had lost was sat next to him. Wanting to thank her he was about to speak but from her pose and lowered reaction it seemed she was still fatigued. He had come to understand partially this woman hid her vulnerabilities recalling how even the day before she looked almost immobilized yet showed eyes of fighting back. The kettle was partially full of the river water and setting the flat stone down again near the fire he let the pot heat up once more. Smiling back to have the kettle back he felt it best to not disturb the girl but would be sure to thank her once the tea was made.

The stranger was working on the last of her catch and seemed distracted in her task. Looking through his satchel he had pulled the metal ball removing the contents of the used herbs from earlier this morning. Looking at his supplies he saw the petals of the Rosehip flower. It had a berry-like taste and was great in giving an uplifting effect to those who drank. Wrapping the petals with a green herbal leaf Ethan stuffed it into the metal ball. Though the effects may take awhile it was still a great flavor and would in time relieve the fatigue the camp was still lingering on.

Recalling when the stranger had appear the short hair Ari had emitted sparks it left Ethan curious if she had focused on more then one form of magic. He didn't know the side effects of the class but knew every mage suffered from over use and exhaustion, recalling his own times he had overused his ability temporarily blinding himself and his body feeling heavy as if the weight had shifted like stone. He could only assume that if the negative effects for her magic must be a hinder and it wouldn't be a quick recovery. The wisp floated to the pot as it danced around the small amount of steam rising from the spout.

Noting the water heating back up he dropped the metal ball to let the herbs spread and disperse in the water. The smell of the herbs brought memories of the shore and his mother who brewed this near daily for his father. The sound of the sea crashing on the rocks echoed in his head as thoughts of the green hills of the farms spread and the stretch of nets near the docks being tended to. He started to

letting the words slip his mind, he relaxed waiting for the tea to brew as he watched fire dance.

Skyre listened to his fast tale, a smile breaking back onto his face as the boy finished, though his eyes still looked weary. "I'm not sure about the last ones, but certainly some of them, yes. And don't be worried about an inability to fight; we've plenty of warriors around who'll take care of you." He smiled blossomed further into a cheeky grin. "Though you'll have to pull your full weight of work around camp."

Turning back to Magnus and Clara once more, Skyre closed his smiled and exhaled. "Well then, are you two willing to join up with our camp?" It was mid-morning now, and Skyre knew that they would probably arrive just in time for lunch if they were to head back then.

Rederik rose slowly as Ein worked his magic and encased the turkey in ice. It would surely suffocate before long, to which prompted him to smile at Ein and casually approach the bird. His eyes took note of the girl above, but his prayer took precedence. He murmured it softly to the frozen turkey, his hand hovering over its head for the duration.

After the prayer, he looked up at the girl perched in the tree. Ein's call should have definitely stirred her to notice the two, so he felt no need to call out to her. Instead, he looked down at the man with him and nodded.

"You did well," he said. "It was a method I had not considered. Hunting without a bow can get messy, but this was cleaner than anything I could achieve. We will not go hungry today, friend."

Lapis dried her eyes, making sure there was no sign of weakness left in her face. She stared at her reflection in the water, mentally outlining her features. The same features as her mother. In the pas people had often told her that she looked a lot like her mother. Same face, same eyes, same nose, and same beautiful hair. She found a pebble next to the stream and tossed it at her reflection. Lapis sighed and began to return to camp, the wind her only comfort on the way back. Lapis walked back silently, coming to sit underneath a tree, hoping no one would notice her.

The kettle started to slowly whistle as Ethan broke from his thoughts. Moving the kettle to the cooler side of the stone he cleaned and poured some into the cups of various shape and size. He noted the chip in his that must have happened during the hastened packing. Noting he did not have enough for everyone he used the wooden bowl pouring a little inside sliding it to the stranger "In case you feel the need to quench a thirst." as he got up pouring some into a small metal cup roughly dented.

Walking to Ari he turned to the stranger "...guess trust can go both way can't it?" as he smiled tipping his hat before tossing it on his head. Ethan noted the sound of the brush stirring on the other end noting the young girl Lapis brown hair and the edge of her fabric kimono being seen near the bark of a tree. He was unsure where she had been but to not anger her further he left her to whatever means she found comfortable.

Bending down he sat the cup near Ari before sitting on the opposite end of the tree. He didn't want to disturb her directly but saw why the woman found this spot wonderful. The tree was sturdy and provided a cool shade from the sun. The sound of the river could be heard from the distance and the breeze was calm.

As he set his back to the bark he covered lowered his hat preparing to enjoy a nice doze off. Speaking quietly he simply spoke "...thanks" as he spread his legs towards the grassed patch kissing the tree's roots "I had thought the kettle lost." as he took a sip of the tea, though it was sweet in aroma he didn't want to waste anymore of his bitter root to improve its flavor for himself. The cup rested on his lap, his hands folding it over to keep it from spilling. The wisp's light dimmed and rested on the top of his hat like an ornament it just watched over its creator with soft pulses.

Lapsi felt a disturbance on the other side of the tree. She peered around the bark to se the edge of Ethan's coat peeking around the bark of the tree. She saw no reason to disturb the peace and decided to leave him be. She wondered what they thought of her. They probably hated her, thought she was useless. Sadness was all she felt as she sat under the tree.

She loved the breeze, but it could not comfort her now. Her fears and nightmares had re awakened. She loved to sit and relax, but now, she was anything but relaxed. She sighed, many a bit loudly, and looked off into the distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Though you'll have to pull your full weight of work around camp."

"Not a problem," Modrin replied, growing more confident by the minute. His hands still showed blisters from pulling the sails and hoisting nets full of fish aboard. Some breadcrumbs in the morning and a hot plate in the evening, with no rest or relaxation in between, was what he had been doing for most his life. Still, he knew he had to exercise caution around these people. Even before the shadows had arrived, the lands hadn't been entirely free from injustice. He knew of plenty boys his age that had been bought by a miller or a farmer to do hard labour from dawn till dusk with only bowl of gruel or mashed potatoes to live on. He still recalled how one day just such a man had taken an interest in him. But his father had declined the feeble payment, something Modrin was still thankful for today. "A fair share for fair work, right?"

Ari marked the arrival of Ethan and his tea. But, out of tiredness or introversion (she wasn't sure which, maybe both), she did nothing to acknowledge his thanks.

She closed her eyes for a moment. With the tree's shade and her cloak cast over her, Ari appeared much like a young boy. The kind that was reckless and carefree, the kind whose existence demonstrated the vitality of youth; a boy whose eyes, when open, captured the naïve and hopeful nature of one that age. None of these qualities pertained to Ari. Even the appearance that gave these false impressions would be obviously erroneous upon inspection. Aurelia's nose was too delicate, her lips too feminine, her face lined too softly to keep up the illusion that her hair lent itself to.

She opened her eyes again. They showed a fatigue that her body language did not, though the steely grey of her irises betrayed no other secrets. But within them, a cool fire burned; a distant sense of duty and determination that had stopped her from running away where a young boy with naïve and hopeful eyes would not have hesitated.

Ari sighed, signifying that she had received Ethan's thanks well enough. She took up the tea. It rested warmly in her hands, the sweet aroma rising up to appeal to her tastes. She let it linger between her hands for the time being, wary of its heat. "Have you offered any to our little miss over there?" She whispered quietly to Ethan so Lapis would not hear. The girl looked desolate and lost under her tree. Ari almost felt apologetic for her, looking so dejected like she was, though not enough to avoid poking fun at her. It was more of a private joke, but she felt neither Lapis nor Ethan would appreciate it as much as she. A private joke to herself, as it were.

Rusar finished the fourth rabbit by the time the tea was ready. Admittedly she'd never tried tea, the closest thing she got was some lemon mixed in with water but even that seemed so long ago. She held off on drinking it not wanting to get the clean bowl bloodied. "Thank you..." She muttered as the Brunet passed. glancing over to where the new spot where the camp members gathered. She felt a bit awkward in the camp, part of that was her own fault by not at least giving her name but still she wondered if it was worth sticking with a group.

" I guess all things are sacred, " Ein said as the man in front oh him prayed, " Especially in this day and age."

Once Rederik was finished with his prayers, Ein took hold of the turkeys body . There was not a rustle of feather, breathing, or slight movement coming from the bird, giving it the appearance that it was dead. 'Surely it can't still be breathing,' he thought to himself as he took hold of the birds neck. No, it was motionless, not a sign of life.

'Friend....' Ein choose to ignore the thought. It wasn't overly important what titles the group of strangers used to refer to one another as, afterall, he had been using comrades and companions without thinking of the meaning.

"Ever since I set out on my own I've made sure to leave very little evidence that I had been somewhere." Ein made note that the ice trail he had cast was already beginning to melt in the sunlight. It began to glisten on the surrounding grass and roots like a morning dew. " This was, any shadow beasts and bandits would be unable to follow my trail. " He kicked the frozen feet of the turkey, snapping them off into the ice, while taking hold and lifting the bird into his arms. " I suppose that's a bit of evidence," he chuckled a bit at his comment.

Before turning to walk away, Ein once again glanced up to the girl. "Our camp is just north of here if you get hungry or lonely up in that tree."

Rederik regarded the small looking girl up in the tree for a moment, questioning if she were even alive. Her dark braided hair and olive skin was unlike anything he had seen before. His white brows knit together as red eyes assessed the tree from the perch to the roots at his feet. Was she breathing?

He found a suitable path up the tree, though he'd have to jump to reach the first branch that jutted from the thick trunk. Rederik crouched and situated his stance for better momentum when rising to jump, his athletic arms grasping the branch above. The branch was a little thinner than he'd like, but it appeared to hold his weight without too much give. With a small hop he tested the strength, finding it suitable before hoisting himself up with a grunt. The climb up to the small girl in the tree took him spiraling upward and around the trunk, loose bark occasionally falling down in a soft shower. Rederik was nimble and swift, testing a few branches before moving on. He only had to change his path once, his feet secured on two different limbs and one arm holding another above as he leaned forward, then back before finding his new path.

Eventually he made it well within arm's reach, and tapped on the tree trunk near the girl. He said nothing, though watched for any rise and fall of breathing or stirring to insure she was alive. He would not touch her unless given permission or he found that she were dead and needed removal to be properly buried.

Ethan lifted the edge of his hat peaking towards the tree where he spotted Lapis the wisp continued to hover on the edge like a lantern hanging from a post. Ari's words stung him a bit recalling his bitter words he said to the overly aggressive guest. He plopped his head on the bark sighing a bit from the troubled and active events that have happened in only the course of a few hours. "If we are to ever get along I guess its best we commoners be the ones to allow her to open up." smirking back to Ari using the the young girl Lapis words as a joke. "You'll have to show me sometime some of my father's techniques." he smiled "After all its not everyday I get to me a light mage with a sparked personality." as his face turned around the tree to see hers before getting back up, dusting his pants and straightening his hat.

Walking back to the kettle Ethan noted the stranger had finished her work on the game. He reached into his bag removing a simple cloth and tied pouch "The river is but a few minutes back, if you wish to wash up..." as he offered the rag to her "...upon your return I have salt if you wish to cure it." leaving the small pouch of near the fire before grabbing a rather large cup and pouring a bit of the tea into it. As he walked towards Lapis he turned back and smiled "...I thank you stranger for your actions and hope you come to welcome this group as your own. As with any of us you are free to do as you wish but do think it over madam there are safeties in numbers." as he bowed his hat a bit and walked back to Lapis.

Reaching the tree side where she hid he took a long breath before shaking his head. Moving the branches aside he looked down to the girl and offered the cup "Noble or not you need to drink to keep up your strength." as the wisp lit up the shadows between them. Ethan had noted her brown hair and the glimmer of the blue and white ribbon she had tied into her hair which revealed the streaks of blonde that ran like silk. He didn't know of her past nor from her attitude before care to know. Still stubborn as she may be or as stubborn he may be it was best to try and mediate with her. Finding a rock across from her he left the cup near her foot so not to approach and aggravate her.

It was silent for a bit the wisp floating between the two. Ethan stared into his cup a bit, taken back to his reflection from the brownish green tea. Looking back up to her he looked back down "I am sorry..." his voice quite and calm "...I guess considering all we have been through anyone would be apprehensive. Yet I lashed out at you not knowing who are why you did it." as he turned the cup in his hands. "Perhaps I am too trusting of strangers and it'll lead to my downfall..." recalling how even Ari wasn't comfortable with inviting the stranger "...or perhaps I am just a simple son of simple village never raised to understand the importance of nobility." the hat hid his eyes but his face was not smiling or showing emotion, just calm and collective. "Lapis of Leavenworth I do not know what you seek with your brother or that our group can assist you in your goals." as he slowly rose his head looking into her ocean blue eyes being reflected by the wisp's light "...but I wish to start over our meeting, so I wash our past moments away from my memory and offer you my friendship if you will allow me so." as he took his cup and finished the last of the tea. The silence rising back between the two as they sat.

"It's fine. I was trained to hate commoners and see them as slaves, though I never really thought they were bad. But my grandfather thought that they were, and his word goes in my old family." Lapis said, picking up her tea. She never liked to think about the older men in her family. They were disgusting and putrid thieves that stole from the already poor. "My life may not have been as luxurious as you think. Being a aristocrat is hard when you have to live up to your family's standards. My brother was the only one who thought I should be free." She sighed, recalling her dear brother that she still held close to her heart.

Rusar looked up as the brunet approached ,"Thank you..." She said once more finding it a bit odd how he could be so hospitable and friendly after all that happened. Then again that might be his way of coping, trying to connect with others to fill a void caused by the massacres which plagued every village. She her self had done the opposite pulling away to save her self the pain of loosing someone, dealing with emotional pain was not her strong suit. She couldn't help a small smirked hearing his suggestion before he wandered off, he sounded too much like her father in that moment. The mystic Magician had many small quirks that reminded her of her father, though the brunet was much kinder and patient. He wasn't wrong though, she counted seven with in the camp and more were missing so it seemed. Perhaps sticking with the group, at least for a short time, would be beneficial. If only to have a few decent nights sleep instead of constantly being paranoid and aware of her surroundings. Ultimately the decision came down to where the group was headed, a question for later.

Rusar cleaned her hands on the blood stained rag before pulling a bag of herbs mixed with salt she kept for curing. Supplies for the camp would dwindle with so many so she saw it better to use her own materials first at least. Additional she liked to mix in grounded up roots and herbs to give the blade meat some flavor other than salt. She cut the meat to manageable strips, trimming out any bit of fat left before coating the meat in her cure mix and wrapping it with in the cloth to keep bugs and dirt from getting to the meat while the mix did its job. she had a feeling some of the meat would be eaten before the day was done. She set the furs aside on flat rocks as well allowing them to dry as well before she gathered up her knife, bowl and the rag that had been offered.

The blond made her way to the river enjoying the quiet of the forest. She knelt beside the cool stream and chopped up the remaining entrails to smaller bits before allowing the river to take them away, no doubt something would find it to be a tasty meal. She rinsed out her bowl, knife and her own hands before drying with the clean rag. She looked up to the sky seeing the sun had risen pretty far with all of the waiting around and prep work. Normally she would have started wandering by this time but she was curious to see who this group was. She sheathed her dried blade before starting to make her way back to camp.

Helia listened as she heard someone climb the tree, her tree, and debated her options.

She had originally hoped they would believe her dead, and follow after them later. Instead it seemed one of them was intent on figuring out if she was actually dead or not. Regardless of how dead she felt she was, bruised and sore as she was, Helia realised this wasn't a problem that was just going to walk away.

Pulling what energy she had left, and the little she'd recovered during her nap, Helia used a couple microbursts to fling herself away to the sde, exactly where she'd mentally mapped another sturdy branch. For the most part it went well, granted she nearly slipped off the branch she'd landed on.

Readying a dagger, Helia did her best to aim with her left eye, her right having been jammed shut with dried blood from her cut from early. It also didn't help that she had a headache pummeling her mind and blurring her already rubbish vision.

"You a friend...or are you a a target?" wheezed the diminutive woman defiantly even as her body shook from exertion.

(OOC: Real fast, I work 11 pm to 4-8am, and usually sleep a bit when I get him, and sleep a bit before I leave[1-3 hours] Generally I've got about 12 free hours, and I won't usually respond this late. I was just a little exhausted. Thankfully, we all get one last post after the lock, which allows me to catch up real fast.)

Neljor had been trodding the forest for quite some time when she thought she sensed magic. It was the first time since she had left her university that she had felt the presence of magic. It was warm. It felt familiar and comfortable like a favorite blanket. She breathed it in deeply, then heard the voices of prayers and someone mention something to someone about a tree and a camp. She froze in her spot, crouched now behind a large bush and barely dared to breathe. She hadn't had any human companions since she left the university, either. She hadn't even heard a human voice.

Neljor watched the two men head down a path together with a turkey in hand. Slowly, quietly, she did her best to follow them at a length. Not until she was a few feet away from the trail did she notice the girl sitting the tree. For a moment, Neljor froze. The girl didn't seem to notice her. Good, she thought. Neljor noticed ice magic leading into some bushes and sniffed slightly again. It was so comforting. But what should she do? Say hello and risk everything? She had to get back to her family. She had to know of their fate. As she tip-toed behind the two men, her over-sized boots caught an exposed root. Her body hit the ground, and not quietly. The leather pack that hung from her side was full of rocks meant for future arrow-heads and a small iron pot for cooking with.

Once she hit the dirt path she didn't move. It had been a while since she'd even talked to another human. Somehow she couldn't find it in her to stand and look at the two who now obviously knew she was following them. Much less the girl in the tree. A mixture of fear and excitement welled up in her, making her clench her fists, shut her eyes, and wait for her fate to play itself out.

FREE POSTING IS NOW ACTIVE

///////

The sun hung high in the sky now as time fast approached midday, shining brightly down on the southern valleys. Birdsong echoed between the peaks, and noisy insects could be heard from every larger piece of shrubbery. The reassuring peace of nature filled the entire valley, a peace that felt horribly ironic given all the survivors had experienced.

As always, Skyre lead the journey back alone upfront, eyes impassive as he silently retraced down the paths they had taken before. The group reached the mountain outlook where Skyre and Desiree had spent time admiring the beauty of the valley, only this time Skyre lead on without stopping. He had calmed down a little, and was deep in masked thought; despite the fact that his emotions were normally clear to see, you would'ne be able to tell how he was feeling. And that was because he didn't know either.

Desiree, he thought. If you hadn't have kissed me then I wouldn't be in this mess. You're difficult at times, and we don't always agree, but I wouldn't have it changed. Do I love you? And can I allow myself to do so? I really don't know. A little vacant, he lead the group back through the forest, treading carefully as he strode upfront. In any case, their collection had been successful, and although he was not apprhensive about the newcomers, he knew that other people would be and so wasn't worried about sudden treacherousness; his new companions would surely find out any evil quickly.

Skyre thought over things again and again until his mind simply went blank and he could contemplate no further, so instead he began to prepare himself for regreeting the others. He thought he had missed a couple of people from his early morning escapade, and was positive he'd have at least one greeting to make. So replacing his emotionlessness with his acustomary smile, Skyre strode on to camp.

Camp. Right. When Skyre had said 'camp' Modrin had anticipated large tents, big banners, dozens of knights. He'd expected a rebel army, sharpening their weapons for a final assualt on the dark forces. Instead there were about seven strangers and a campfire. How such a ragtag group of wizards and warriors could possibly hope to survive for a little more than ten seconds against the obliterating force of the Shadow King was beyond him. But for the good of his belly, he remained quiet and entered the camp last, eyes darting nervously from one stranger to the next. From what he could tell; they were as much strangers to each others as he was to them, and there was some comfort in that. Something akin to pity welled up in his bones, most of the men and women looked tired, as if they hadn't slept for days. Their clothes indicated they'd been on the road for a while as the edges had become permanently covered in dried mud.

Not quite sure where to sit or who to talk to he halted near the fire, crossed his arms and scanned the strangers once more. Was this all that was left?

Skyre led the newest survivors through the glen and over the small mountain toward their camp. Desiree followed along at the rear to round up the stragglers. The old man, Grandpa she called him to herself, was the leading culprit on their diminished pace and for perhaps the umpteenth time, she wondered if his presence were truly necessary.

The mystery surrounding the man continued to draw her focus from other thoughts. How had he and the girl survived the wolves until now? It wasn't possible, as she judged his shuffling, plodding gait, that they could outrun them and the girl certainly wasn't adept enough to handle a pack of them on her own.

It was this mystery that kept Desiree's interest enough to justify his company despite his inability to keep up with the kids.

Kids, she thought as she scanned ahead and noted the three, younger travelers ahead. Certainly Skyre had shown some maturity, but these others were still wet behind their ears. And the newest one, this ... Modrin? ... was the youngest she'd seen by far. How the group would be able to provide for so many lost souls was yet another conundrum for her to ponder.

It was bad enough that she had lost her own, meager supplies when she had tossed her haversack in vain as bait for the shadow wolves. It was fortunate for her that she had stumbled into this motley band who had similarly escaped the Shadow King's wrath and that they had enough supplies to pass around even if her latest meal was only enough to prod her stomach to insist she feed it further.

But Desiree hadn't anything more to eat and didn't want to burden others with her plight. She had already risked everyone's lives once by trailing the band of wolves that were chasing her into their midst last night. Their survival of that onslaught bordered on miraculous.

She, once again, caught Grandpa from stumbling and nodded at his thanks. Remembering last night's fight – and flight – brought her eyes back to Skyre. He trudged along in that damnable silence of his which annoyed her. Hells, Skyre had annoyed her ever since their little encounter at the river. If he couldn't grow up and take a joke, how could she keep holding any respect for the boy.

Respect? she thought. That was a new one. Desiree hadn't thought about respecting Skyre or not; she merely followed along with him for ... well, she didn't know what reason. Again, her inner emotions roiled and she chastised herself for it. I am not jealous of that ... boy, she stammered to herself. Just because he's got more control of the wind, and can fly, is no reason for me to feel jealousy, or anything else for that matter, for him.

But she knew, from somewhere deeper inside, that she had angered him or possibly even hurt him in some way – some way she didn't know – and she did feel sorry for doing so. Desiree shook her head and her light, blonde hair tousled about her head and shoulders before it settled back to its typical cascade of gold.

"Get over yourself, girl," she whispered, uncaring if Grandpa heard her or not. But her voice was emotionless and unconvincing. "He's not all that."

Rusar returned from the river finding the trio still by the tree conversing, she could pick up tid-bit of their conversation but tried not to ease drop. They had already thought she was a spy once, no reason to give them more evidence for such a false claim. She knelt back by her belongings and packed what wasn't necessary once more before setting the brunets cloth aside to return when done talking to his group mates. she spied the small bowl of tea that had been offered and decided to test it, she took a small sip before grimacing a bit. mildly biter but has some earthy flavor to it. No doubt from the herbs used. Defiantly not something she would want again. Rusar pulled out her water skin and a bit of the cured rabbit meat she cured weeks earlier to cancel out the taste.

The sound of foot steps approaching cause her to tense up and reach for her bow, she notched an arrow quickly but did not draw there was talk earlier of more from their camp returning. She spotted the small group approach the camp and looked to the others, for signs if this was in fact the missing members of their camp.

Desiree entered the camp with Skyre, Modrin, Clara and Grandpa and realized that their company had grown in their absence. She breathed a small sigh of comfort when she realized that there were more adults than children. At least I won't have to be the responsible one for them, she mused with relief.

Since Desiree no longer had any possessions save for the ones she carried, she noticed that her place by the twin maple trees had been usurped by one of the newcomers. It was no matter to her as she had gotten her fill of rest last night and was more invigorated than she had been in more than a week. Her display of power at the encounter with Modrin had drained her a few degrees, but the depressingly slow walk back to camp had allowed her to recover the energy spent.

She crossed the small clearing, made even smaller now by the number of current inhabitants, by weaving cautiously through packs, legs, sheathed weapons, small bowls of tea and laid claim to a spot next to the fire. She sat with grace and leaned her quarterstaff against her shoulder as she glanced around at all of the faces.

If this keeps up, she thought, we're certain to garner attention. We can't sit here and wait for the next wave. We need a plan, a purpose or we're already dead and just don't know it.

Her mind cast back and she remembered her youth, growing up with her brother, Stephen. Desiree was always the free spirit, almost a true embodiment of the chaos of her element as she drifted whimsically through life. Stephen, on the other hand, was always ground in reality which is what made him especially connected to earth magic.

As such, whenever the two of them were tasked with chores, it was Stephen who laid out 'the plan' and delegated the responsibilities. This suited Desiree well, as it freed her to just ... do. However, it was this lack of focus on responsibility which followed her at the university and was one of the reasons why she appeared so careless in her studies.

Desiree was naturally gifted with her talent and in her early years won high praise from the professors and other tutors at the university. She wasn't some iconic prodigy of her art; rather, she was just exceptionally talented and ahead of the curve.

Had it not been for the Fall and her desperate escape from the shadow's minions, she would have certainly mastered flight well before her third term. But she never fully learned the control of her talent that was required to keep herself from overtaxing her limits. Desiree only knew one level of power: full.

She was always a passionate girl (now a passionate woman) who took little offense and gave joy and excitement to any room in which she entered; a free spirit which defied containment – much like the element she wove. When working with her magic, Desiree didn't merely manipulate the air, she encompassed it: all of its strength, its pandemonium and its raw fury. She channeled it through her very spirit as if she would tear herself apart just to be embraced by it.

Desiree knew no boundaries to her craft but her body often suffered for her inability to accept her limitations. One day, she had told herself. One day, I will be one with the wind and the air, and they will accept me and become one with me. It was a childish thought, she knew, for all of her studying at the university told her that such a transformation simply was not possible. But Desiree thrived on the impossible and had convinced herself that it was her destiny to prove them all wrong.

Desiree shook her head playfully as her thoughts returned to the present. Her face beamed with an inner radiance as she considered her future. She looked across the camp and tried to catch Skyre's attention; she was full of happiness right now and wanted to share it with someone. It didn't occur to her that he was her first choice.

Finally they arrived at camp, and to Skyre's suspicions there were newcomers; he was created immediately with the sight of a bow wielding blonde woman at the side of the fire. To his dismay, mood in camp seemed a little shallow; people were sat against trees, quiet and weary, and he noticed that a few people were absent, probably off hunting. I guess it was too expectant of me to presume that everybody would be getting along fine and dandy for our return. It certainly shows that we are all strangers. Unfortunately, this meant to Skyre that people were likely to disagree and argue, making it a whole lot more difficult for a decision to be made. This fatigue shows people aren't jumping off to go places though; maybe we can all travel together simply because there's very little else to do.

Skyre gave everybody a warm wave as he walked into the clearing. "Morning. We bring other survivors!" Figuring people could introduce themselves, Skyre decided to fade off into the crowds until lunch, which would inevitably be soon. Noticing the group of rabbit corpses at the new girl's side, Skyre knelt next to her, impressed. "That's an impressive hunting catch you have there," he smiled. "I'm Skyre, and you are?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back