• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Forbidden and Scarred Love { The Last of Us 1x1 with icedthemoon }

Kaiden Lachlan and Alexander Brennan (along with the Smith Clan)
WLF Member, Young Seraphite Warrior | 23, 16 | Current location ;; Washington

Jacob laughed as he remembered bandaging up Josh that day. It was funny now but it wasn’t then. Jacob turned to look at Hayden, wondering for a moment. “I thought about. Especially during the FEDRA days, but no. Probably not. Unless Soren wanted to, but I think we’re just a little too old to go traveling the country.” Jacob said, as he too felt his body slowly the older he got. His hands were still steady and sure, he just moved slower.

Josh had never been more grateful to have Soren, or all these people helping. He took a deep breath, as they started searching buildings. Most of these were small, four stories at the most. They’d just finished the first two on their side. “Just a few more, I’m sure they’re here somewhere.” Josh told them, trying to bring the mood up.

Kai rolled his eyes as he pushed off the bed and threw on his pack. “So to the street and try and head back to where we came in? Somehow?” Kaiden asked as he moved towards the door, moving the chair from under the knob so they could move to the street.

Alex shifted and sat up. More wolves. Great. “Okay. Yeah. Let’s get moving before they find us.” He said, getting to his feet and pulling his bow on over his back. “Where exactly are we heading?” He asked, still very much lost.

Ezekiel Finch and Theophilus Sharpe (and also the Smith Clan)
Seraphite Warrior, WLF Member | 26, 22 | Current location ;; Washington

Hayden might have argued against not being old at another time, but right now, he felt that weariness in the bones kind of old. He was sure that Jacob felt it too. “You think he would have done with you? If you asked him to? If you decided you wanted to go somewhere, do you think Soren would have dropped it all to travel the country with you?” But what Hayden was really asking was whether or not Josh would have done that for him. Soren smuggled intel to the WLF the moment that he learned about them. He dropped everything and joined Jacob as soon as Jacob told him it was time to choose. Would Josh do that? Would Josh of then do that?

Soren and his group searched and searched and searched. If he felt like they searched a building too fast, because they certainly did once, he had them do it again. They grumbled and groaned, and he pulled them all together into a huddle to rally the troops for just a little longer. So they kept on going. They were so close to that crossroads, and he was hoping they would find the boys before then.

“I bet you all scars are those little stalker creeps,” Theo continued as he shoved his pack on his back. “Or shamblers. Or bloaters!” He opened the door and peered out into the hall. “Clear.” He stepped out and started making his way to the exit. “Or, um. Seraphites?”

Ezekiel opened the door for them and gestured out. “I believe that the wolves are exactly where we need to go. Getting back to where we started could be easy if they were not here. We could go around them, though I am afraid of where they will go once we hit street level. We may lose track of them.” He took a moment to think again. “No, I know the way. We will take longer than we would normally wish, but these places are so often grid like. We can get back another way.”

Jacob looked at Hayden , thought about what he was going to say and nodded. “If I had asked him to up and go somewhere else with me, and I’ve mentioned it, then probably. He’d left FEDRA the moment I asked, and he helped us for a few months with intel.” Jacob said, knowing the underlying question. “I think Josh would go now if you asked him. But I’m not sure if you’d asked him back then.”

Josh was pacing back and forth as they were one more house away from the cross roads. He bit his lip and pushed a hand through his hair. Another house with nothing in it. A groan slipped out before he heard something. A door? His attention turned to the crossroads and he headed in that direction, catching Soren’s attention as he moved. Josh came to the crossroads and looked towards the noise. Kai had just stepped out onto the street, looking at Theo as he talked because they’d picked a room on the first floor. “Kaiden?!” Kai’s head snapped around as he saw Josh. “Papa?!?” Kai replied, before he ran towards him, Josh meeting him halfway and wrapped his arms around his son. “I’m so glad you’re okay.” Josh whispered, holding him tight.

Alex followed Ezekiel out of the room and looked at him. “I’ll follow you.” Alex said, listening to his words. It had been such a crazy day and he just wanted to find their group, and get back to the island.

Hayden nodded. “I think you’re right. I think our husbands love us enough for that.” But he didn’t know about then. Even after all these years, it was never about if Josh loved him enough. He knew that he did. Their love was strong and beautiful. It was the job that got in the way. Being the hero. “I don’t think I could leave anyway. Not like this. And I don’t want to. I like how it is now. I like the life that we’ve created for ourselves.”

Soren’s attention moved to Josh as soon as Josh caught him. Josh started walking and so did Soren. He missed whatever it was that Josh heard or saw. He didn’t care what it was. He followed, silently signaling their groups to follow as well. His breath caught at the words. The voices. The faces. Oh god they finally found them. Theo was equally as excited even though this was not his family that found him. “Kai! Kai, Kai! You were so right! Your dad totally pulled through! No offense Mr. Smith, I know you were worried too which is why you’re out here, but we were really banking on the fact that the other Mr. Smith – that gets really confusing when you say it out loud, you know? – was going to be freak out sooner rather than later.” He was bouncing up and down with the renewed excitement of finally being found. “I really hope you guys know how to get back because I am sooooo lost.”

Ezekiel nodded. Alex was such a good kid. He did not deserve what was happening to them now. Once they reached the bottom of the building and stepped outside, he paused. He could hear the chatter. The exaltation. He smiled despite himself. “I believe our friends got found. Do you know what that means?”

Jacob nodded both about how much their husbands loved them and that he probably wouldn’t leave either. In truth, Joshua had annoyed and frustrated Jacob back then. He’d been so focused on being a hero and doing everything FEDRA told him to, that it seemed their relationship and marriage wouldn’t survive. But his brother finally figured it out and everything was better. Now if only they could get their family members back. “It’s a beautiful life we have here.” Jacob agreed.

Josh didn’t want to let Kai go. He was determined to hold him as close as he could. Until he finally let go. “You are in so much trouble. Your father has been worried sick.” Josh told him, stepping back and crossing his arms over his chest. “I know. I know.” Kai admitted, looking away and at the ground. He heard Theo’s excitement but he didn’t share it. He was embarrassed and upset that he’d caused so much worry for his dad. “Let’s get moving back. It’s a good thing we know where we came from.” Josh said, looking at Theo before he took Kai’s hand. “I’m not letting you go until we get home.” He warned, and Kai heaved a sigh. “I’m not five.” Kai muttered and Josh narrowed his eyes. “Then don’t act like it.” He replied before he turned and looked at all the others. “Let’s head home.”

Alex heard it too when they got to the bottom of the building. His eyes drew to Ezekiel and nodded. “We can go back the way we came instead of taking the long way around?” Alex said, seeing that smile on his leader and friends face.

“It would be even more beautiful if a certain someone didn’t run off and make me want to commit crimes that I will likely regret later,” Hayden added as he tapped on the table. He was torn between his worry and his fury. He was too tired to keep holding onto his fear. If he let that stay then there was no telling what he would do. He just sat there and waited. And hoped.

Watching Kai have to hold his papa’s hand like he was five was a little satisfying. Soren needed that just then. Safety and punishment. Theo frowned. “I’ll take a hand. Man, I am lost and tired and so hungry. And yeah, it’s like absolutely debilitatingly embarrassing, but bro, your family just saved us!” Soren swooped beside him and took his hand. “I can oblige.” Theo’s face went red and he tried to pull away. “Uh, I mean, no, uh like thanks, but-“ “No, problem.” Soren held onto the hand tightly. There was no escaping. “I think it’s important that you make it back home in one piece.” He paraded him forward occasionally saying things to the rest like, “Look everyone, we found them. You know what that means? We can finally go home.” This was exciting for everyone. The three trucks were packed with the people who were the most exhausted except for their drivers. Those who felt like they were the most awake were walking back. Thankfully the third truck meant that they had more space for driving. They would be home soon.

The smile sat on his face as he listened to the noises. “That is exactly what that means.” He walked quickly but quietly back towards the crossroads. He paused them around a building and peeked out. He moved back in and turned to Alex. “They are leaving.” He closed his eyes and counted. Listened. Then he looked back over and nodded. “They are leaving. We should move carefully back this way. The demons will have settled into their new homes, if the wolves left any alive, and the wolves should retreat without issue.” He really smiled this time. “Are you ready to find our people and go home ourselves?”

He heard the words and the tapping on the table. “Yes well. Like you said earlier, he’s young and making stupid mistakes, like we both did at that age.” Jacob told him as they fell into a silence. A few minutes passed by and a soldier came up to them. He whispered something to Jacob who looked at Hayden. “They’ve got them and they’re on the way back. They should be here by the time we get to the gate.” Jacob told Hayden, smiling at him as relief flooded his body.

Kai was walked back to the trucks, and holding his papas hand. This was so embarrassing but fortunately for him, he wasn’t the only one. Soren had Theo’s hand too. Ha! As they made it to the truck, Josh kept his word and climbed into the back of one, holding Kai’s hand. They were headed back and soon the gate of the stadium came into view. Kai shifted nervously, not sure what was going to happen. As the trucks were parked, Josh and Kai got out and waited for the others at the gate.

Alex nodded and followed Ezekiel’s pace. Quiet and quick. “Okay.” Alex whispered, before he nodded. “Yes. Yes I am.” Alex told him, the excitement in his eyes but he controlled his actions. Kept quiet and moved with his leader.

They’ve got them. Hayden felt like his entire body was washed over with the most powerful shower or water hose. It pushed away all the dirt and grime of his fear. He was already standing and moving to the gate by the time Jacob was finished. “Thank whatever deity or higher power someone believes in.” Hayden, though still mostly exhausted and struggling to keep himself moving, was walking as fast as he could. He had not had his cane in hours. He honestly had no idea where it was at this point. He didn’t even care, because his boy was back. A new fear trickled in. Was he okay? Did he get into a bad kind of trouble? What was in the suburbs that made him do that? An anger flicked that fear aside. What was he thinking? What was wrong with him? He was not supposed to be a child anymore. As they reached the gate, he could already tell where they were. He could see him. Kai was safe at home at last. Hayden’s heart felt like it would burst with the overwhelming relief. “KAIDEN!” If he could have run, he would have. He moved as quickly as his legs would allow, which was actually quicker than they really wanted or should have been going, until he was throwing his arms around his son in one of his stereotypically aggressive hugs that came with all of his anxiety. This was an embrace of only love. He loved Kaiden so much. And he was furious. Soren could see it on that man’s face. He pushed Theo around them and said, “I think we’re going to get him to his parents, please don’t kill him, but also Kaiden you did this to yourself good luck!” And then he was gone just as he could hear Hayden pull away and ask with all of the venom of a parent who had gone through hell for the last far too many hours, “Have you lost your ever-loving mind? Do you know what everyone, everyone Kaiden, has gone through to get you back here?”

Ezekiel moved swiftly down the street, sticking as close to the buildings as possible for fear that they could be seen if they were too far out in the open. Eventually, they reached the fallen stairs. “I think we are safe from the wolves for now. I assume we will not be seeing any patrols the rest of our journey back. Now, if you were back where we were,” he began as he made it past the stairs and where they had been, “where would you go to hide from the demons?”

Jacob followed Hayden out, relief in his body as he saw them all back safe and sound. Instead of watching the pair reunite, he went to Soren’s side. Josh could handle Hayden. “Hey Theo. I’m so glad you two are safe.” Jacob said, taking Soren’s other hand and following him to bring Theo back to his parents. Then he was going to catch some an hour or two of sleep before he had to work a long shift.

Kai’s head snapped around as Josh dropped his hand. A flash of relief at seeing his dad shot through him. He hugged his dad back as tight, head tucked into his chest. He’d been more scared than he’d let on when he realized they were lost. He heard Soren and sighed when he felt Hayden pull away. Kai ducked his head and looked down at the ground. “I’m sorry.. I didn’t.. I wasn’t thinking.” Kaiden said, glancing up at Hayden, knowing he was in deep trouble. Josh crossed his arms, watching his husband and he’d step in if he had to.

Alex looked around as they moved, and when they came to the fallen stairs, he shifted and shook his head. “Um. Find a small room in a building and wait them out?” Alex asked, not quite sure how he’d hide from the demons.

When Jacob took his other hand, Soren leaned over and kissed his husband’s cheek. Theo smiled at Jacob. “Thank you very much. I am also glad. That was some wild, wild stuff, and I would like to never ever do that again. Punished enough already?” Soren just smiled. Theo groaned and looked down. “Yeah, that’s what I thought.” Theo’s parents were in their room, which was where Soren dropped him off. They were ecstatic and furious though nothing compared to what Theo was sure Kai was having to deal with. Theo was not about to be grounded for life. Kai might be. “Thank you for saving us from ourselves and the infected and the scary people who are really a lot confusing!” Then he closed the door. Soren turned to Jacob and sighed so heavily he thought he might fall to the ground. “I would like to go to bed in the arms of my husband now. But, while we go there, tell me this. How bad was it after we left?”

“No, you weren’t,” Hayden snapped. “You clearly forgot how to use that function of your brain. You lied to us, Kai. Lied. Or no, perhaps you didn’t because you clearly went to the Serevena first. And then what? You decided that wasn’t good enough? You wanted to explore, right? In the suburbs? Where no one was going to be able to find you if say you got lost?” If he had two eyes, the fury would have probably been worse, though having this one may have been scarier. He never really knew himself. “This was not just stupid. This was not just reckless. This was not wandering off from your patrol when your patrol could find you fifteen minutes later. This was so far beyond irresponsible it is shocking. Can we trust you to go anywhere and not hurt yourself? Or others? Like Theo? And Theo!” A renewed fire blazed in him.

Ezekiel nodded. “That is in a way what we did as well. It would be the most sensible option.” He led them back through to the area that they were in with their group. “There are numerous buildings and houses in this area. The stairs fell from this direction. That meant that all of the demons would be drawn to that sound. Coming from all directions. We would want to go somewhere away from that sound once we were able to get away from those that already saw us.” He took this moment as a good teaching time. “Where would you go? There are no wrong answers.”

Jacob chuckled hearing Theo as they walked. He’d smiled at the kiss to his cheek, more than thankful that he was back. They were all back. After they dropped Theo off, Jacob’s attention went to Soren as they walked back to their room. “It was.. rough. Hayden was not doing well. And it took a lot before he finally sat down. And now he’s worked up again I’m sure. I kind of feel bad for Kai a little bit.” Jacob admitted as they got to their room.

Every word from Hayden cut through Kai. He could feel his eyes getting wet as he listened, staring at the ground. His hands twisted and twined together. “I- I’m sorry..” Kai’s voice was soft. He hadn’t thought about how this could’ve gone so wrong. What if the stairs had collapsed and trapped them. What if the scars had killed them? Or worse? So many things could’ve happened and he just didn’t think about it. His dad was right. He had been irresponsible and reckless, and had endangered his brother. Kai bit his lip and swallowed hard. “I don’t know what else to say.” Kai added. Josh placed a hand on Hayden’s shoulder. “Baby, I think he gets the gravity of the situation.” Josh said softly.

Alex listened to Ezekiel and nodded as he did. “Right. So we would want to go as far in the opposite direction to the crash. So if it happened there, we’d want to get as far away as we can in the other direction right?” Alex asked as he tilted his head slightly. He looked around when they made it to where they’d been with their group. “W- Where are they?”

“Me too,” Soren admitted now that they were away from prying ears that would require him to be less tolerant of Kai’s behavior. “He’s a big boy. An adult and everything. I don’t think Hayden has really come to terms with that yet.” As they entered the room, Soren closed the door behind them and sighed. “And this is why we don’t have kids.”

“Does he?” Hayden’s voice cracked as he asked, swinging his head to look at Josh. His eyes were blurry with the tears that he could not hold in any longer. Tears of worry and fear. Tears of sadness and regret. Tears of happiness. Hayden slid his arms around his son as he gasped for air. He pulled him closed, one hand behind his hand and the other on his shoulder. “I need you to understand how much I cannot lose you.” His voice was a broken whisper. “I love you so, so much Kai. You have got to be more careful.”

Ezekiel followed Alex as he tried to puzzle through this situation. “Well, they wouldn’t be out in the open, especially if they heard those wolves nearby.” He scanned as they moved and also did not see anyone. “Why don’t you ask where they are? Just like if we were on patrol and were separated.”

Jacob nodded as he listened to Soren. “I know that, but sometimes love and worry just change how people act.” Jacob said as they headed into their room. “This is exactly why we don’t have kids.” Jacob agreed as the door was locked behind them. He wrapped his arms around Soren and placed his head on his chest. “I think I might have to call in sick today. I’m so tired.” Jacob said quietly, his energy was drained from helping his brother. He couldn’t even imagine how tired his husband was.

Kai heard the cracked voice and Josh saw the blurry eyes of his husband. Kai sniffed as he felt tears hit his cheeks when arms slid around him and pulled him close. He felt one hand behind his head and the other behind his shoulder. Kai wrapped his arms around Hayden and tucked his head into his chest and cried quietly. “I- I’m sorry. I l- love you too. And I- I will.” Kai’s voice was just as broken. He hadn’t meant for any of this to happen, and it was all the scar’s fault. If he hadn’t invaded his brain the day before, he wouldn’t have wanted to explore and do something dangerous. None of this would’ve happened. Josh wrapped his arms around both Hayden and Kai in a group hug, holding them both close.

Alex tilted his head and nodded. “Right. That makes sense.” Alex said as he whistled the ‘where are you’ one and a moment later a reply came out before their group poured out of a nearby building. Drake led the way to them, a sigh of relief. “We were wondering what happened. Are you two alright?” Drake asked, concern in his voice.

Last edited:

Soren, who felt like he might actually be dead because he was that tired, mustered the last of his energy to sweep Jacob off his feet, carry him like he did all the time, and playfully toss him onto the bed. That was it. He had nothing left after that. He collapsed onto the bed after him. He should change. He should do all sorts of things that one would do before bed. But he was too tired. “I am going to sleep for an eternity. You are going to sleep with me. We are not going to work today. No one would fault either of us since I have been away for twenty-four hours, as have you, and we have both been nonstop that entire time. Me with the searching. You with Hayden.” He waved a hand. “Okay, yep, it’s bedtime. I’m too old for the length of college days.”

Hayden gently turned them one direction and then the other as he held him as close as he could. “You have been mine since the day that I met you. I will always love you no matter what you do. You can always come back to me.” He held him silently for a moment before he could work up the ability to put more strength behind his words. “Go rest. When Jacob is alive again, I’ll send him to check you over. I know Mel and Nora are perfectly good medics, but I don’t trust anyone like I trust your uncle. Don’t argue with it either. Just let me make sure you’re okay.” He smiled and almost laughed. “Indulge your old man. And then, after we are a little less… excitable, we will continue this conversation.” He turned to Josh to make sure he was doing a good job not being ridiculously overbearing. He was trying to be better about it, but he got so worked up sometimes. Or all the time.

Ezekiel patted Alex’s shoulder. “Excellent work. You are a natural.” He waited for Drake and the rest to come to them and bowed his head to them. “We are. We were mostly concerned about you. A staircase on one of the old buildings fell which in turn drew the attention of many demons. We could not get back to you until they cleared out. I am glad that everyone is alright. How was it on this side?”

Last edited:

Jacob let out a soft gasp and chuckled tiredly at his husband when he was picked up and playfully tossed on the bed. Jacob waited the few seconds until Soren joined him. The instant Soren was on the bed, Jacob curled up next to him, tucking into his side. “I think that is a wonderful idea.” Jacob told him, yawning. He pulled off his glasses and rolled just enough to set them carefully on the nightstand. “Mm. Good night my love. I’m too old for this staying up all night stuff.” Jacob muttered, curling back into his side again.

Kai felt Hayden turn them side to side and sighed softly. He heard Hayden’s words and just tucked in closer. He’d always felt a connection to his dad ever since he’d met him. He remembered the first time they met, he was a little under two and he brought out a book for him to read. The memory made him smile. He heard Hayden’s words and blushed a little. He was still tired, but maybe he could get a little more rest. “Okay dad. I will do just that. And it’s no good to argue, I’d lost the argument anyway.” Kai admitted as he moved out of his dad’s chest. “I’ll see you later. I love you. And I’m sorry again.” Kai said as Josh looked to Hayden and nodded. He was doing a good job, not too overbearing. “Alright, let’s walk our wayward son back to his room, and go get some rest of our own. How does that sound?” Josh proposed.

Alex looked at their group and listened to Ezekiel explain what happened. It wasn’t entirely incorrect but he knew better than to mention the wolves. Drake raised his eyebrows and his eyes widened. “Did you deal with wolves too or just demons?” Drake asked, watching the two men with a curious expression.

Soren threw their blanket over them both as he closed his eyes. It had certainly been one long day. He was not even awake long enough to say goodnight. Or good morning. Or whatever it was.

Hayden let out a breath of relief at Josh’s nod. Good. So he wasn’t being too much. He probably was too much earlier. It was good that he was the kind of exhausted that he was, otherwise this conversation would likely not be over yet. It needed to be over for now. “I think that’s a very good idea.” He put his hand out as an offering to Kai. Every cell in his body wanted to reach out and take it, but he was going to try to be a less embarrassing father for now. If Kai didn’t take it, he would probably be able to handle that. Probably.

Ezekiel glanced back at Alex like two brothers who shared a secret. He turned back to Drake to answer. “Thankfully, we did not run into the wolves that came this morning. Many came through the abandoned streets. We were planning an alternate route back here when they retreated. Were you as lucky as we?” He had never been one for deflection, but it seemed appropriate in this moment.

Jacob was already asleep by the time the blanket covered him. He was emotionally exhausted and tired. And he was going to sleep until dinner most likely.

Kai saw the offered hand and looked at Hayden. A soft smile crossed his face as he took his father’s hand. He had been embarrassed but he also knew his dad and he knew himself. He wanted the comfort of touch. Josh took Kai’s other hand and smiled at his family before he led the way to Kai’s room. This was perfect, and he knew the conversation wasn’t over but it was for now.

Drake nodded, taking that answer as fact. He had no reason to believe that it was anything less than the truth. “We were hiding in this building since last night so we did not encounter the wolves.” Drake informed him, as Alex nodded with a smile. He had seen the glance from Ezekiel and felt a weird sense of something more than friends. Like Ezekiel was closer to a brother than a friend.

They walked mostly in a comfortable silence to Kai’s room. When they got there, Hayden took one last hug, eyes watering once again, and finally pulled away. He sucked in a deep breath and smiled. “I love you, but if you do that to me again, I will hunt you down personally even if this one has to carry me.” Which was becoming more and more of what may need to happen the longer that they stayed up and going.

Ezekiel did not lie. He simply omitted the truth. If he were to have told them that they encountered two wolves that they not only did not kill but actively saved and worked with for survival before willingly letting them get away, it would be far worse. He was not sure that he wanted that to happen. Not to mention, this was now the second time for something like this to happen. It was becoming a pattern with Ezekiel. Or perhaps it was a pattern with Kaiden. His face still haunted his thoughts. The one that was just so angry with him. “I am glad that you were not seen. We should return to the island and inform the elders. They will want to know.”

Kai hugged his dad back and then nodded. “I love you too and I won’t do it again. I swear.” Kai told him, hugging Josh before he stepped into his room and shut the door. A deep sigh of relief came out as he walked to his bed, dropped his pack and laid down. He couldn’t sleep, his thoughts were back on Ezekiel. The same man who made him so mad, so frustrated and spoke to a part of him that he’d never heard from. He buried that down and pressed his face into his pillow with a groan.

Josh looked at Hayden after the door shut. He mustered the last of his strength, picked his husband up in his arms, and turned to walk towards their room. “It’s time for us to sleep to my love.” He said with a grin on his face.

Alex looked at Ezekiel just wondering what was going on in his head. Drake nodded and moved so Ezekiel could lead them back to the island. “That is a good idea. The Elders will want to know what has happened.”

Hayden wanted to protest. Actually, he wanted to want to protest. He was so tired. He hurt so much. “Is it bad that part of me wants you to turn around so that we can sleep in that room with him?” That was the overbearing part of him that they were trying to keep at bay. “Or for you to put me down in our room and then go retrieve him to put on house arrest? That way we can watch him like when he was a little boy?” He sighed as they finally made it to their room.

Ezekiel wished that he could speak with Alex on this, but since he was the leader, they were all looking to him. Instead, he did as he should and began leading them back to the island. When he caught Alex’s attention though, he winked with a smile before continuing on as though he had not done so at all. The journey back had no obstacles other than the usual. It did not take terribly long. He did not, however, know how well his lying by omission to the Elders would work out for him. If ever he were caught in this lie, it would be bad for him. He would do whatever it took to keep Alex safe, though.

Josh shook his head as he heard Hayden. “I understand what you’re saying my love, but we cannot be overbearing. That or putting him on house arrest would not end well.” Josh said, opening the door to their room and shut it gently behind him. He walked over to the bed, set Hayden down on it and joined him a moment later. He wrapped his arms around his husband and held him close. “Sleep baby. We’ll see him at dinner.”

Alex saw the wink and the smile and nodded. He followed happily as they found very few obstacles and soon they were back on the island. He looked at Ezekiel and even though he wanted to take an actual nap, he knew he shouldn’t. There were things that should get done he was sure.

When Hayden closed his eyes, all he could see was every fear he ever had about his son, and there were many. As he tried to sleep, they morphed into all the fears he had about everyone over the years. He knew that it would be a long night like this, especially when he body ached in ways that it had not in years. Finally, his mind and body shut down. He hoped the dreams would not keep him from resting.

When they arrived on the island Ezekiel turned to his people. “I must go to the Elders to speak on our troubles. I will not require all of you to go with me. I will ask you, Drake, to accompany me to more accurately describe what happened to everyone when we were unfortunately separated. Anyone else may come if they wish.” He smiled at Alex. “But only if you wish to do so. I do not want anyone to feel uncomfortable. For those who do not wish to come, take a moment to yourselves and your families. Rest. Let us come back together midday to discuss how we may handle such situations in the future. We can use this as a learning opportunity.”

Last edited:

Josh held onto Hayden, his own worries shifting through his dreams. He would not recall them when he woke, but they kept him from getting the best sleep that he needed to get. He just shifted closer to Hayden as he slept, wanting the contact and comfort.

Alex and Drake both nodded as they looked at Ezekiel. The rest of the group dispersed to their homes and families. They’d been away from them all night and wanted to see them. Alex and Drake would follow Ezekiel to the Elders to inform them of their patrol and what happened.

The Elders received them as they did with all missions, though they expressed more concern due to their lengthy delay. Ezekiel explained the circumstances in the same way that he spoke to the rest of the group. They were all in their assigned area when they heard a loud crash. As leader, he took responsibility in investigating and Alex, who was his partner in their pairs, came with him. They learned that the sound was the crash of an old and rusted ladder that seemed to finally give way to the pressures of the earth. This sound drew out too many demons for them to return to their group. They were forced to separate until the morning when the demons dispersed. He did tell them that they narrowly escaped being caught by what felt like every wolf, but they were lucky in their retreat. He did not give a reason for their wolves’ presences or anything else. He allowed Drake to also explain.

Last edited:

Drake explained to the elders that after the pair had left, he and the rest were staying where they were told. Once the crash happened, demons came out from buildings near them and they took shelter in the building that they’d already searched until morning. They stayed still until the whistle from Alex brought them out. The Elders, while initially concerned, gave Ezekiel a nod of confirmation that he’d done the best he could in the circumstances they had encountered. The Elders dismissed them and gave them the day to learn about how to prevent this from happening again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back