• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fate/Stay Night: Broken Boundaries

Cunning Commander]Wait a minute. How did the water Mage (me) get placed with the lord of flames ([URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/4812-raikou-kaminari/ said:
@Raikou Kaminari[/URL] )?
Opposites attract

I'd say May pretty much is with her own opposite as well. Someone who lacks self confidence and tends to be more soft spoken with a flirt and hotheaded partner. :P

The Green Scar] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/10703-proxy/ said:
@Proxy[/URL] yeah I was noting lots of Kayneth similarities while I was reading it, and then I read this and it makes sense that you did it intentionally. I like the detail and such, the only thing I say that's really lacking is her motivation for being part of this war. My initial idea, continuing on in the alternate universe Kayneth (more or less), is that maybe she's mad that she had a servant summoning catalyst stolen from her, and is thus vengeful of having her rightful place in the war stolen?
Proxy said:
Oh I was intending the purpose of being there being her natural love for danger and thrill, but your idea could also be used and it would let me create friction with one of the Masters here.
But which master?

[QUOTE="Ian Temero]But which master?

[/QUOTE]
Well, anyone up to be the target of some maniacal hate?

Proxy said:
Well, anyone up to be the target of some maniacal hate?
k-on-episode-1-51.jpg

After school sports really cut into your time, sorry guys that I'm like only on for a bit each day (hence @Rhodus being here to help me more constantly run things). Anyways, I'll be kicking off things here really soon, just need to finish a few things on my end.

Proxy said:
Then I'll grant you the honors
Alright. So how did this happen? Did Rini sneak into Kerala's house and take the catalyst? Did she intercept the delivery? Did the Enforcer go after the "half-vampire" thinking she would be an easy target and had it on her? Or did the mailman just deliver to the wrong address?

Also, what should the catalyst be? We are talking about a fictional hero.

[QUOTE="Ian Temero]Alright. So how did this happen? Did Rini sneak into Kerala's house and take the catalyst? Did she intercept the delivery? Did the Enforcer go after the "half-vampire" thinking she would be an easy target and had it on her? Or did the mailman just deliver to the wrong address?
Also, what should the catalyst be? We are talking about a fictional hero.

[/QUOTE]
The most plausible seems like Kerala attempting to hunt down Rini and having the catalyst nabbed. Considering you're summoning Gandalf, the catalyst could literally just have been a random lotr book lol.

Oh yeah, sorry I took a while to get to your question @Hanarei. It'd depend on your characters past relations. For example, my master and @djinnamon's will have some past knowledge of one another, so it wouldn't be our first time meeting (maybe first time in a long time though). As your master is basically as much of a noob to the magical world as Shirou was, you won't know about any of the people involved. So it depends on your character.

Something I’ve been thinking of is how we handle combat/death. Basically, I want the fights to be heavily narrative based, and most of the fights probably won’t result in death unless it’s really sudden. Basically as a GM, we’ll be determining when someone will actually die from the conflict is going on. For example, if their completely cornered and they can’t think of a way out of their situation, they’ll obviously die. But most of the time, a death will have to be the result of a culmination of prior events and actions, so someone saying “and ____ stabs at ____’s heart” isn’t likely to result in death as long as the receiving party says they manage to deflect it with the base of their weapon, or side step or something. But if he’d been previously crippled or something, then depending on our discretion, maybe they do receive the stab (we’ll only be exercising this power when it comes to potentially fatal blows, everything else is more or less just exchanges between your characters). More often than not though, people will have the option to retreat and such.

So thoughts or questions?

@The Green Scar Ah, I was meaning as far as Master + Servant goes mostly. Though that does help as well. :P

As far as combat goes, that works. Granted May won't be doing much combat as much as evading, given she did I'd say that would be a good way to handle it. Heck, the idea of playing off some serious injury could be good as well I'd say given the RP participants are into that. That big fear of death can be very tense even without needing it to occur right off. It can be interesting to really play out the aftermath to the Master being in such a state and the negative feelings it can bring.

Hanarei said:
@The Green Scar Ah, I was meaning as far as Master + Servant goes mostly. Though that does help as well. :P
As far as combat goes, that works. Granted May won't be doing much combat as much as evading, given she did I'd say that would be a good way to handle it. Heck, the idea of playing off some serious injury could be good as well I'd say given the RP participants are into that. That big fear of death can be very tense even without needing it to occur right off. It can be interesting to really play out the aftermath to the Master being in such a state and the negative feelings it can bring.
Same with Amber , he always intend on letting his servant fight but he knew he needed to develop fighting skills. His primary role is to use inscriptions to give him speed to dodge and evade.

[QUOTE="The Green Scar]Something I’ve been thinking of is how we handle combat/death. Basically, I want the fights to be heavily narrative based, and most of the fights probably won’t result in death unless it’s really sudden. Basically as a GM, we’ll be determining when someone will actually die from the conflict is going on. For example, if their completely cornered and they can’t think of a way out of their situation, they’ll obviously die. But most of the time, a death will have to be the result of a culmination of prior events and actions, so someone saying “and ____ stabs at ____’s heart” isn’t likely to result in death as long as the receiving party says they manage to deflect it with the base of their weapon, or side step or something. But if he’d been previously crippled or something, then depending on our discretion, maybe they do receive the stab (we’ll only be exercising this power when it comes to potentially fatal blows, everything else is more or less just exchanges between your characters). More often than not though, people will have the option to retreat and such.
So thoughts or questions?

[/QUOTE]
What about when Noble Phantasms get involved? For instance, Annie's auto-hit attack? Or you know, Annie's super long-range attacks?

Proxy said:
The most plausible seems like Kerala attempting to hunt down Rini and having the catalyst nabbed. Considering you're summoning Gandalf, the catalyst could literally just have been a random lotr book lol.
But another thing we need to consider is that Gandalf shouldn't be a Heroic Spirit as he isn't from an actual legend. So why would our characters have been trying to summon him? Answer: they probably weren't. They probably mistook something LDR related as something else. Maybe a copy of the Silmarillion translated into elven was mistook as an ancient spell book, or maybe a broken replica staff as Merlin's staff?

[QUOTE="Ian Temero]What about when Noble Phantasms get involved? For instance, Annie's auto-hit attack? Or you know, Annie's super long-range attacks?

[/QUOTE]
That's where the stats and precedents will come in. I mean, as foolproof as any attack is in theory, Fate is known for having exceptions to like every rule they have. I mean, Gae Bolg literally reverses causality in its attack, but Saber due to luck and skill managed to survive it. And due to the washing pole being bent by excalibur, its time/space defying attack managed to not kill Saber (she's one lucky ass servant). But it'll definitely have to be on a case by case basis though. Sniping from the Archer class and assassination techniques from the Assassin class (and other surprise things) will as well be case by case. For example if your person has that foresight ability would probably survive a sniping shot if they had the reaction time to react to their prediction. Ones that are just power moves and such though are fairly straightforward though.

[QUOTE="Ian Temero]What about when Noble Phantasms get involved? For instance, Annie's auto-hit attack? Or you know, Annie's super long-range attacks?

[/QUOTE]
Like in case of gandalf, he may somewhat predicts the attack and uses a countermeasure like magic shield to avoid a fatal wound, if not, escaping with a terrible wound is acceptable. Still, I think sooner or later someone will has to die, but the servant or master left behind can always form a new contract.

[QUOTE="Ian Temero]But another thing we need to consider is that Gandalf shouldn't be a Heroic Spirit as he isn't from an actual legend. So why would our characters have been trying to summon him? Answer: they probably weren't. They probably mistook something LDR related as something else. Maybe a copy of the Silmarillion translated into elven was mistook as an ancient spell book, or maybe a broken replica staff as Merlin's staff?

[/QUOTE]
Or an action figure :) )) I don't understand all mechanics but instead of a catalyst it can be a charm to increase the chance to get a powerful servant, that way the reason won't be too anti dramatic

[QUOTE="Ian Temero]But another thing we need to consider is that Gandalf shouldn't be a Heroic Spirit as he isn't from an actual legend. So why would our characters have been trying to summon him? Answer: they probably weren't. They probably mistook something LDR related as something else. Maybe a copy of the Silmarillion translated into elven was mistook as an ancient spell book, or maybe a broken replica staff as Merlin's staff?

[/QUOTE]
I imagine he'd be similar to Sasaki in that regard

Hanarei said:
Unmovable Object vs Unstoppable Force. Which Noble Phantasm wins? :P
Neither. Both Heroic Spirits realize that it's pointless and join forces, becoming the most powerful team up to have ever occurred in the Holy Grail War.

Last edited by a moderator:

[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately neither Quenya or Sindarin are complete enough to translate the entire Silmarillion.

[/QUOTE]
Yes those would be better in terms of fitting the narrative. A staff piece sold to Kerala for a high price only for it to have been a random gandalf replica staff made to seem to be Merlin's staff or something.

Also it is possible to summon literary character,provided they have enough fame. Gandalf fits the bill, with the only issue being his legend is too young to be summonable regularly. If we bypass the age rule, then the grail would summon a replica of gandalf based on someone that was just like him just like Sasaki or Dr. Jekyll

Users who are viewing this thread

Back