• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

WanderingJester said:
What alliance? Braavos and Dorne? Or Braavos and Daenna?
Bravos and Daenna though most likely Cayden might be negotiating it. Caydens been pushing for her to ally with bravos from the start

Akio said:
Bravos and Daenna though most likely Cayden might be negotiating it. Caydens been pushing for her to ally with bravos from the start
Not sure why Braavos would agree with that given the risks, especially if they already have contacts and such in Westeros. I mean I can see Braavos and Dorne even (not much more but a better chance), but Braavos and Daenna? They're wayy too calculative to just jump into an alliance with a girl with no holdings, no armies, and possibly allying with their future enemies.

Akio said:
By our representative i meant he called a representative from the iron bank or at least sent one of his men to get one and open negotiation not this its ours xD
He was actually never intending to sleep with Daenna then, that was just a friendly spar. Him marrying her is about the deal that Daenna might offer to draw in dorne. Also what century old tradition?

Wouldn't that man the war easier huh
The tradition of the Prince of Pentos deflowering the Maiden of the Seas and Maiden of the Fields, which Cayden ruined by sleeping with one of them first, entirely disrespecting their religion and ruining tradition, on top of this they were defeated in a war by Braavos soon after so it was clear the gods weren't happy Cayden pretty much screwed Pentos.

Archon said:
And would Qarth be willing to throw itself into a trade war with New Ghis? Beyond embargoing New Ghis for all eternity, they face the same problem Braavos would - far more powerful navies - no ideal way to use them, the economic loss on having no trade in New Ghis would be massive, but the strain on the Qartheen economy even higher. Since all a great deal of their trading ships would be parked in one spot, accomplishing nothing. New Ghis is a nation, a blockade would not starve them out - especially when a good deal of the army would be overseas in the taken Slaver's Bay cities. The war would have no outcome but to eventually end inconclusively.
Besides Volantis, allies would be hard to come by. As every other Free City in Essos can't afford to divert attention from the rivals at their doorsteps. Not to mention they'd have to march halfway across the continent only to be defeated miserably by a superior army. If anything, there's more reason as to why the Free Cities would seek to ally New Ghis.

And no, I wasn't going to say it had a powerful navy because it's an Island Nation. I was going to say it has a strong navy because it is a trade hub, like Qarth. Not too mention - as unreliable as it may be - the WiKi for ASOIAF directly states that New Ghis does have a powerful navy.

I also think you mistake patriotism for bravery. The Masters will have spent their whole lives far from danger, pampered, and in luxury. These men don't possess the Iron-Will of Stannis, what makes you think they all have such bravery as to resist an army that outnumbers their own nearly 4:1? It'd be a massive gamble, and shoult they lose a gamble which would have them killed. If not worse, a siege may not even be necessary; it's shocking how effective waiting is against the weak-willed, several days of disease flooding the city from tossed over animal carcasses would likely remove any patriotism in turn of the more sensible self-preservation.

I also said a few pages ago, that if the Ghiscari Cities surrendered immediately, they'd essentially self-govern. The Masters would lose little power, and Astapor would not give up its economy for free; it would be paid for in gold by New Ghis, otherwise Astapor wouldn't be able to sustain itself.

You're entirely right, it's very plausible that New Ghis would fail miserably in an attempt on Qarth.
I'm going to just concede this one and say some (But not all) of what you've said is true and leave it at that, I don't really want to spend the evening arguing about this and you're right on many counts.

I'm going to be honest here, I really don't like East Essos (At least not in comparison to Westeros and the FRee Cities (Which themseleve I'm not the greatest fan of)) and I've read only half of the sections of WOIF regarding the area beyond the Free Cities, really just do as you see best and refer to Centurion and Jester on the matter of New Ghis and your campaign.

Hypnos said:
The tradition of the Prince of Pentos deflowering the Maiden of the Seas and Maiden of the Fields, which Cayden ruined by sleeping with one of them first, entirely disrespecting their religion and ruining tradition, on top of this they were defeated in a war by Braavos soon after so it was clear the gods weren't happy Cayden pretty much screwed Pentos.
I'm going to just concede this one and say some (But not all) of what you've said is true and leave it at that, I don't really want to spend the evening arguing about this and you're right on many counts.

I'm going to be honest here, I really don't like East Essos (At least not in comparison to Westeros and the FRee Cities (Which themseleve I'm not the greatest fan of)) and I've read only half of the sections of WOIF regarding the area beyond the Free Cities, really just do as you see best and refer to Centurion and Jester on the matter of New Ghis and your campaign.
They lost the war against Bravos before Cayden was born and it wasn't like he raped the girl. He just snuck his way into her bed, he never made it a secret of what he was and once again he never liked that magistrate so he really didn't give a fuck

Akio said:
If Cayden is still in the melee at that point and he realizes it a woman he would probably help her. He had his own code of civility though he might help her without even realizing its a her to take out Roland who's a damn good fighter.
Just like a cowardly Dornish man would do, not only does he fear Roland will defeat him but he'd rather ally with a woman than just face Roland like a man. If Roland found out Cayden used a woman to try and gain an edge to beat him theres a good chance Cayden wouldn't be walking back to Dorne any time soon.

WanderingJester said:
Not sure why Braavos would agree with that given the risks, especially if they already have contacts and such in Westeros. I mean I can see Braavos and Dorne even (not much more but a better chance), but Braavos and Daenna? They're wayy too calculative to just jump into an alliance with a girl with no holdings, no armies, and possibly allying with their future enemies.
Except Dorne will be supporting Daenna and the Iron bank has always wanted a greater say in westeros which if daenna becomes queen they'll have a much greater say. There's not even much rid for them because he won't be asking Bravos to commit to war at first, just to fund them. If there was even a chance to conqure westeros and gain powerful allies in Westerosi nations and the new ib it would be now

Hypnos said:

I really don't want to meta-game so to speak, and get this easy.

I'm hoping Jester and Centurion moderate the campaign and give me some real struggles to work with, Dothraki hordes, Meereen/Yunkai coalition with mercenaries, something which will be hard fought. I'm in a unique position, because an Empire is pretty overpowered. But I'll jump that hurdle if we get to it.

Leusis said:
Just like a cowardly Dornish man would do, not only does he fear Roland will defeat him but he'd rather ally with a woman than just face Roland like a man. If Roland found out Cayden used a woman to try and gain an edge to beat him theres a good chance Cayden wouldn't be walking back to Dorne any time soon.
He wouldn't realize it was a woman most likely. Just that Roland was probably the best fighter in the Melee and he might lose a single combat fight with him so taking him out is a smart plan when hes fighting some on else. If he realizes its a woman he'll fight Roland to heal her because watching a knight as good or better then him wail on her is not his style.

Akio said:
They lost the war against Bravos before Cayden was born and it wasn't like he raped the girl. He just snuck his way into her bed, he never made it a secret of what he was and once again he never liked that magistrate so he really didn't give a fuck
Wait what? I was under the impression the war was fairly recent if they lost the war so long ago why does Cayden consider then weak? After so much time a whole new generation would have grown to warriors age and their army would be well on the way to repair as well as their wealth growing back to slightly less than former numbers, at this point I'd say they're pretty powerful again. Just because you didn't make a secret out of it doesn't mean it wasn't illegal and disrespectful to an entire city rather than on Magister, he should have been castrated. Cayden's a dick, poor Magister.

Akio said:
I mean, it's not like he could have done that with literally ANY other woman in the city and not shit on their culture.

You know what, I'm tempted to make that paticular Magister a character and my entire goal would be to get revenge on Cayden Martell but every time I try my plans somehow get foiled, I'd be like the one man Team Rocket of Westeros.

Last edited by a moderator:
Akio said:
Except Dorne will be supporting Daenna and the Iron bank has always wanted a greater say in westeros which if daenna becomes queen they'll have a much greater say. There's not even much rid for them because he won't be asking Bravos to commit to war at first, just to fund them. If there was even a chance to conqure westeros and gain powerful allies in Westerosi nations and the new ib it would be now
Who saids they can't get it some other way? Or that they don't have contacts that'll work with them in Westeros now? Braavos have been monitoring the rise of Ibben and will definitely take action against them the moment they know an invasion fleet's headed towards Westeros, for reasons I've explained before about the Iron Bank's assets being threatened to the point where it warrants actions. They would risk more by allying with Daenna now than anything else, and cost wise the potential pay off is massive, but the risks would still outranks the potential reward, which I mean the chance of more influence in Westeros isn't the same as having the influence now through other methods.

Archon said:
I really don't want to meta-game so to speak, and get this easy.
I'm hoping Jester and Centurion moderate the campaign and give me some real struggles to work with, Dothraki hordes, Meereen/Yunkai coalition with mercenaries, something which will be hard fought. I'm in a unique position, because an Empire is pretty overpowered. But I'll jump that hurdle if we get to it.
I'm of the same boat honestly with @Hypnos, Essos don't really interest me overall, though I can get more excited for the Free Cities though. The whole time you talked about New Ghis I was okay with them just carving out a good chunk of empire for themselves, so I wouldn't be the best to judge how things goes down in slaver's bay. @TheAncientCenturion would make a better controller there than me.

Hypnos said:
Wait what? I was under the impression the war was fairly recent if they lost the war so long ago why does Cayden consider then weak? After so much time a whole new generation would have grown to warriors age and their army would be well on the way to repair as well as their wealth growing back to slightly less than former numbers, at this point I'd say they're pretty powerful again. Just because you didn't make a secret out of it doesn't mean it wasn't illegal and disrespectful to an entire city rather than on Magister, he should have been castrated. Cayden's a dick, poor Magister.
Except that Bravos put sanctions on them about how big of an anything they can have. There not allowed to have a navy or an army above basically minimum protection size. Thats why there forced to rely on mercenaries. Bravos sanctions dont least them have an army

Elendithas said:
I mean, it's not like he could have done that with literally ANY other woman in the city and not shit on their culture.
He could of true. Mind you i never claimed he was an innocent guy at all. He just kind of does what he pleases

Hypnos said:
You know what, I'm tempted to make that paticular Magister a character and my entire goal would be to get revenge on Cayden Martell but every time I try my plans somehow get foiled, I'd be like the one man Team Rocket of Westeros.
Please xD that would be great

WanderingJester said:
Who saids they can't get it some other way? Or that they don't have contacts that'll work with them in Westeros now? Braavos have been monitoring the rise of Ibben and will definitely take action against them the moment they know an invasion fleet's headed towards Westeros, for reasons I've explained before about the Iron Bank's assets being threatened to the point where it warrants actions. They would risk more by allying with Daenna now than anything else, and cost wise the potential pay off is massive, but the risks would still outranks the potential reward, which I mean the chance of more influence in Westeros isn't the same as having the influence now through other methods.
I'm of the same boat honestly with @Hypnos, Essos don't really interest me overall, though I can get more excited for the Free Cities though. The whole time you talked about New Ghis I was okay with them just carving out a good chunk of empire for themselves, so I wouldn't be the best to judge how things goes down in slaver's bay. @TheAncientCenturion would make a better controller there than me.
They might have other ways. Thats why we would be negotiating xD we would have to make it worth they're while somehow.

Akio said:
They might have other ways. Thats why we would be negotiating xD we would have to make it worth they're while somehow.
Fair enough, just saying: don't hold your breaths for an acceptance xD .

Akio said:
Except that Bravos put sanctions on them about how big of an anything they can have. There not allowed to have a navy or an army above basically minimum protection size. Thats why there forced to rely on mercenaries. Bravos sanctions dont least them have an army
Can Braavos realistically enforce those sanctions for twenty something (Can't remember how old Cayden is) years, surely after all this time at peace they would no longer be sanctioned or would have just ignored the sanctions and gone for another war. I don't think Braavos would strangle its neighbor for so long for no reason.

Remember guys if the Iron Bank doesn't have what you need you can always go to the Rogare Bank in Lys, I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Hypnos said:
Can Braavos realistically enforce those sanctions for twenty something (Can't remember how old Cayden is) years, surely after all this time at peace they would no longer be sanctioned or would have just ignored the sanctions and gone for another war. I don't think Braavos would strangle its neighbor for so long for no reason.
Remember guys if the Iron Bank doesn't have what you need you can always go to the Rogare Bank in Lys, I'm sure they'd be happy to help.
They might of, considering the I sanctions include not being able to have any slaves and in the books they were still keeping up sanctions years after the war. Rogare bank doesn't have the same history but he would look into it if he had to

WanderingJester said:
Fair enough, just saying: don't hold your breaths for an acceptance xD .
Granted im nit sure Cayden would give a fuck if Bravos screws over Ib later.

Akio said:
They might of, considering the I sanctions include not being able to have any slaves and in the books they were still keeping up sanctions years after the war. Rogare bank doesn't have the same history but he would look into it if he had to
I can see them not being allowed to practice slavery but canon sanctions didn't include a restriction on Pentos' army, only its navy and disallowing them to hire mercenaries, their armys at this point should be back to a good size.

Doesn't have the same history of funding your enemies to come and kill you? If you want crazy polotics and strict repayments go to Braavos, if you want a loan then Rogare is your bank.

Hypnos said:
I can see them not being allowed to practice slavery but canon sanctions didn't include a restriction on Pentos' army, only its navy and disallowing them to hire mercenaries, their armys at this point should be back to a good size.
Doesn't have the same history of funding your enemies to come and kill you? If you want crazy polotics and strict repayments go to Braavos, if you want a loan then Rogare is your bank.
was it just navy and mercenaries, thought it was more?
True, but right now they dont have a lot of money so its a gamble and getting the help of the iron bank usually means a lot more then just money. Theirs a reason Asha when she realized stannis was gonna have the bank help him she thought if he held he might just win the entire war. The iron bank has great power in the world even beyond money

Akio said:
True, but right now they dont have a lot of money so its a gamble and getting the help of the iron bank usually means a lot more then just money. Theirs a reason Asha when she realized stannis was gonna have the bank help him she thought if he held he might just win the entire war. The iron bank has great power in the world even beyond money
Rogare has a lot of money and a lot of connections, they used to rival the Iron Bank in size but were slightly diminished due to their interests in Westeros (A Rogare was once married to a Targ) they still have sizable wealth and wield a lot of influence (The patriarch of the Rogare family is an infant but also the half brother of the patriarch of the Saan pirate family) and are far more likely to aid Westeros than the Iron Bank, plus they're close to Dorne.

Hypnos said:
Rogare has a lot of money and a lot of connections, they used to rival the Iron Bank in size but were slightly diminished due to their interests in Westeros (A Rogare was once married to a Targ) they still have sizable wealth and wield a lot of influence (The patriarch of the Rogare family is an infant but also the half brother of the patriarch of the Saan pirate family) and are far more likely to aid Westeros than the Iron Bank, plus they're close to Dorne.
Not saying he won't talk to them, he might even talk with the Rogare bank privately for Dornes sake in the coming war but his connections in Bravos and the reputation of the Iron Bank made him think of them first, especially because the bank has enormous influence in bravos itself. Get the loyalty of the bank and you have a very good word with Bravos

Hypnos said:
Rogare bank hasn't been the same since the family's downfall though. They're still a very respectable institution, but compared to its prime where it could threaten the Iron Bank, it's more like a smaller local bank branch to the Iron Bank in regards to power and influence. I agree about the liklihood of aid for Westeros though, since the Iron Bank's really only out for themselves, and whoever they "help" they help themselves first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back