• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

We were doomed from the Start.(CLOSED)

Darius followed, still grinning like someone 15 years younger than him looking at his new shiny weapon.

I got to work on trying to make my father drink. Taking the cannister of water, I watch it clearly go into the cup

"Please go down my Father Gently" I ask the water like it can hear me.

I sit him up slowly, gently. He makes some noises as he's lifted up. He'd gotten to a point were I didn't know if he was awake or unconscious.

"Dad. You need to drink." I say softly as I put the water to his lips.

I lead the boy down the stairs, cautiously. I need to grip my sword hard. I start to feel a bit tired, to be honest... but the idea of actually doing something is good enough to keep me going.

I navigate the streets, following my instincts...

Nie remembered the voice. He just couldn't understand what his younger son was saying. He tried to open his eyes... just it was hard. Way too hard.

It felt like an eternity to actually look up and blink.

"Mitchell....?"

Last edited by a moderator:
"Dad, it's Mitchell. It's me Mitchell. I need to get you to drink, please"

Truth be told o was worried, very worried. Those two going out meant that they could get hurt, captured anything. I selfishly thought that I couldn't be left alone. Not with Dad the way he was. I needed some help.

Nie tried to nod, but it simply hurt too much. It was painful. He wasn't sure he would be able to do as his son asked. It felt like glass shards going down his throat... he only managed a few sips, flinching as he swallowed... the dentist still tried, half-knowing the urge in Mitchell's voice meant something was very wrong. He felt too weak. He couldn't remember too much. Still...

"...Where... is... Darius?... and... Ma... Baker... she is... did she... hurt you?..."

"They've gone to get supplies" Mitchell replied. "They shouldn't be too long. No she's been.. She's been very nice actually. Very very nice"

I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. I felt awful to think that it was unfair to have been ladened with this problem though.

Others were all healthy. Fighting for survival from the outside. But our group was falling from the first hurdle. If a Zombie wanted Nie. He was an open goal. And it scared me

’So they are getting along after all…’

The dentist closed his eyes, exhausted. He smiled even then… in his mind, scattered memories and dreams danced around, and all considered, it wasn’t all that bad.

His sons were in good hands now.

“Good… this… is… good… then…” Nie sighed, collecting enough power to look up at his son.

“I might… have to… go back… on my… promise… forgive… me… son… I am… selfish… I know… but not that… selfish… so I won’t… realise… what this… means… I love you… all… very… much… I don’t… want to… hurt you… any more…”

He wanted to continue, but speaking hurt. Everything hurt. Maybe the worst was the pain and fear in his son’s eyes.

That was the worst. Not maybe. Entirely. The knowledge he was torturing Mitchell and the others… his sons and best friend… for naught, after all, he was dying either way. He wanted to give up now. The boys were together now… and what’s more, with the most competent warrior he ever knew.

It may be all right just to finish all now…

"Don't you dare" Icried out all broken holding on to Nie's hand "please. You'll live You need to remember this."

I couldn't think I couldn't see straight I wanted the lady to come back to help e through this. I needed Darius to support me.

The world went numb around me. Was Nie actually dying right now? Oh please god no.

"Please" I rest my head on his hand

Nie tried to grasp his son’s hands with his own bony fingers… he couldn’t muster up enough to cause an effect.

“Please… don’t cry… son… you… want us… treat you…. as an… adult… you’re a man. This is… not worth… the tears… don’t waste… them… on me. I am…. a murderer… unworthy… of love… I am… grateful enough… for you… saving me… being… my son… means… so much… both of you… you gave me… happy dreams…”

He was straining to speak. He still had to, weakly lifting Mitchell’s chin up.

“I… love you… Mitchell. And now… I’m… just a burden… youth… shouldn’t… ever… fight… lost battles… especially… when it is… not even… necessary… you… don’t need… me anymore… you have…. your…big brother… now… here… and Ma Baker… she is strong… kind….she will.. take… good care… of you… my son… I’m… ready… to go.....”

"Dad... You aren't a burden on us. Please hold on. You're doing fine. We're treating you, and well get you better. We will." Mitchell was fighting back his tears as he didn't want his father to know he wasn't being a man. "I need you.. I know you think I don't. Because Ma Baker and my brother are back. But they're not a replacement for you. Please. Please".

Mitchell was lost for words

“I was… the replacement…”Nie said softly, quietly. “I love you… instead of… everybody else… I have… lost… I… really… love you… but… I was… with you… only… a year… maybe… a bit more… and… you know my sins…”

He opened his left hand, letting the spring open.

“I… do love… you… but… no way… I could… protect myself… even… then… so… I just… don’t want to… be a burden… you… fulfilled… your promise… saved me… brought me… here… letting me… die in… a real… bed… and…Darius is… here… alive… Azucena… is alive… You are… worth more… than I should… hold out… tormenting you… with this…”

"No, you're not tormenting me. You need to be strong. Giving up on my is tormenting me more. Please. Please no. Hold on. You're going to live"

I paced ther room with my hands cupped over my mouth and nose. I didn't know what to do.

Sick with worry I wanted to pass out. But knew I couldn't. I wanted to vomit. But couldn't. I started shaking violently.

“It… is not… fair… to force… you… to do… this…” Nie closed his eyes. He needed every ounce of willpower to speak, even if it hurt. The knowledge he is causing his son distress cut into him, deeply, making him want to give up even more. “It is… not fair… to you… I am… useless… weak… and I… won’t get… better… we all… know this… no way… I’m letting you… suffer… because… you try… the impossible… in this… mad… new world… weak… have no… place… forcing you… caring… for me… too heavy… I love you… more… than I would… want you… to carry… a burden… like this… please… my son… just… let me… go…”

I am not exactly pleased with my hunt, even if we progressively collect many doves. It seems like we only have older ones here… I try to aim for the youngers, and get back the projectiles, too.

I don’t really have to drag the boy with me. He seems really happy with the crossbow, and I have to smile under my helmet.

“Come on. Let’s get to a roof” I point to an iron ladder on the side of a taller building. “We might have luck and find some nests there…”

"no" I say bluntly, almost aggressively "you're not going anywhere. I can't let you. I won't let you"

I was being selfish. For a second I put myself in his shoes. Intense pain, suffering for what? To die later instead. I'd want to die, too. I'd want the permission. I swallowed my pride and my feelings.

"I don't want you too ". A tear rolled down my cheek as I choked on these words "but, I can't stop you. And it's not fair to keep you in this pain. So if you really want to..." I trail off.

Darius followed obediantly. He was almost skipping. He'd been bored and sad sat in the hospital, this is what he wanted to do.

It was better for him to be outside

He was holding his new weapon with pride. No longer inspecting it, he'd made it become an attachment of him. Like a true pro would.

He followed up the the iron ladder. It was all rusty

"If I get bloody tetanus" he muttered to himself as he began to clim.

“Thank… you… son…” Nie smiled, happily.

He still felt pain. But the immense relief almost washed it all off. Like cold water after a bad dream, cooled his feverish thoughts off. "You... should... rest... Mitchell. Try to... sleep... you look... pale..."

He closed his eyes, feeling calm. He wanted to sleep.

He let the darkness take him.

I have to be careful. My weight, especially with the armour on, means the flimsy ladder creaks and screams, but still holds on. I try to stay calm.

"What is tetanus?" I ask the boy, finally stepping to the flat roof. "We can try to find you gloves, you know. It is quite practical. It will be okay to handle this crossbow with them on..."

We really find nests. Almost all of them empty, but I still find a few eggs. I sigh.

"Let's try another building, then..."

"I don't want to wake up to find you dead" I say to the sleeping body. But he's asleep. I check that. Breathing. Thank god. I sit in the "punishment corner" with my back to the wall. Not because I was punishing myself. But it was comfortable. And Dad was in my eyeline.

"Tetanus is... I think it's a disease that you get if something dirty or rusty gets into your blood stream" Darius shrugged nonchalantly "you can get injections for it"

He looked around the roof

"Yup another building it is then!"

"We will be cautious" I promise, shuddering. Illness is a touchy subject right now.

"What do you think, do witchcraft pills against that exist?..."

In the moment I step on the ladder, it shrieks and breaks down. I manage to catch the edge of the roof, and let out a saucy swear, wishing the flimsy iron to hell...

"Hijo de tu puta perra retardada chingada madre pinche puto culero chupa mis pinches huevos cabron!!! Pollas en vinagre! Que te folle un pez! Pudrete en el infierno! Non me jodas!..."

I silence myself when I realize that I have company, and I'm also hanging about twelve meters from the ground, on my fingertips.

I add two words.

"La cage..."

"Wait what? Asked Darius in utter confusion. "When did you start speaking Welsh? I mean Spanish? Yeah Spanish... Yeah. An injection. A needle goes into your arm and hurts like fuc.... Hell. And then you should be okay. ". Darius followed suit, he was like an ape and like a pro. He could swing and jump from great heights.

He jumped to the floor and held his arms out to her.

"Come on, lady. Fall into me. I'll catch you. Im Strong and can do it I promise."

I hang onto the edge, and despite the situation, I’m laughing. This kid is too cute, thinking he could do that…

“My dear. I weigh more than two hundred pounds” I wheeze out, cackling like mad. “My armour adds about fifty-four more. I think it is twice your weight… falling down from thirty-six… feet… I won't fall on you. I promised your brother to keep you in one piece. I think this also means... not flat as a pancake...”

I collect my willpower, and flex my muscles, thrusting myself up. The material crumbles around my fingers a bit, but I somehow manage to land on my stomach on the roof.

I lay there for a while, breathing fast, muscles still trembling. This was dangerous…

…aaand now I’m stuck on the roof.

Pollas en vinagre…

"Oh yeah... Of course" Darius meekly said. Embarresed he'd made a total tool of himself. He decided to scale the side of the building, first jumping on the dumpster and using the window ledges to bring himself to the roof.

"So what's your grand plan then. That was very very impressive by the way." He said a bit puffed.

I turn to my back, still breathing heavily in the armour. I don’t even try to get up yet, my muscles still feel weak…

“Well, I doubt it was that… I managed to tear down the ladder…” I sigh, a little bit embarrassed. “A woman should watch her weight, I’d say, but I need the muscles to wield my sword. I think the other building is close enough. Maybe I should buckle down my armour, and try to use the support beams… I doubt you would find a ladder tall enough. And I am not that graceful so I could jump down like you. That’s your father’s shtick…”

"Must run in the family then" Darius says with a wink. "How good are you at like, climbing. You could try going down the way I came up. Windowsills them dumpster. Maybe? I'll help you if you need . But you're right. There's not much I can do..."

Darius shrugged and looked around.

"Or we go through the air vents and out the front door..."

“Just so you know, I’m starting to believe Lamarck.” I sit up, thinking and smiling. I decided I like this boy, too… “I doubt I could do that, even with you helping me. I’m simply too big for that, and not that young, you know. And I doubt I would fit into the air vents… I have an alternate idea, though.”

I stand up, and look around. This building should have roof access, too… I smile when I notice the small door.

“We are idiots” I comment, grinning under the helmet. “I kick down the lock, you hold your crossbow…”

"I was going to mention the door, but totally thought you wanted to do something more badass... Of course." Darius lied completely and obviously and he began laughing. He stood being the woman with his crossbow poised and ready.

He gave her a nod to show that he was ready to shoot and anything and everything that came at them.

I laugh.

“This is not a bard’s tale, you know, Darius…” I take a starting stance, then kick in the door with all my might. I might have overestimated the necessary force because the wood breaks from the first attempt and I almost fall down the stairs… I regain my balance somehow, and grip my sword, listening in.

Wood falling down on stone. Nothing else. I sigh, looking into the darkness.

“Do you have a torch?...”

"I have a lighter" he said taking the lighter from the box of cigarettes he had stored in his folded t-shirt sleeve. Like he was James Dean or something.

He lit the flame and shone it inside. It gave off a bit of light in the darkness.

"That should do"

He threw it to Ma Baker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back