• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Warhammer 40K: The Interex Valhalla

Protagonist said:
@Eplov: Actually, you want to roll lower than your skill when checking something. So I think that might count as success. Not sure if I'm reading that right, though.
To answer your other question: Not really, but it also doesn't really matter.
Just realized the confusion here. I typo'd on my character sheet. Fellowship should be 26, not 36. Fixed that, and the formatting issues (I hope).

Rules clarification please:

When taking an alternate rank, you loose the skills/talents you would normally have had access to, other than by the grace of the GM and paying bonus XP.

But what about when you're on your own career path? If I hit rank 2 but still want rank 1 goodies, do I then have to pay extra for them? Now that I pose the question I assume the answer is no, but the whole alternate ranks thing threw me a bit.

Secondary rule clarification:

Luminen Shock allows an explorator to use some of that energy stored in his/her coil to, well, shock someone. It does 1d10+3 points of energy damage with the shocking weapon quality. It says a successful WS test or grapple allows you to apply the damage. But, hypothetically, why couldn't I thwack you with my manipulator mechandrite (1d5+2+SB primitive club) and channel the energy through it at the same time?

Protagonist said:
@Eplov To answer the first question: If I understand correctly: You keep rank 1 goodies even as you climb up rank.
Hmm, maybe I phrased it poorly. Take this as an example: I am an explorator who has spent 6750 xp on rank 1 abilities/upgrades/whatever, but still have skills/options I have yet to take. I instead take Agility (basic) for 500xp, putting me at rank 2. Do I still have access to those un-chosen rank 1 abilities and skills at the original xp cost, or now that I am the next rank, do I pay some premium for skills/abilities not in my current rank?

Eplov said:
Hmm, maybe I phrased it poorly. Take this as an example: I am an explorator who has spent 6750 xp on rank 1 abilities/upgrades/whatever, but still have skills/options I have yet to take. I instead take Agility (basic) for 500xp, putting me at rank 2. Do I still have access to those un-chosen rank 1 abilities and skills at the original xp cost, or now that I am the next rank, do I pay some premium for skills/abilities not in my current rank?
I mean to say, you retain the ability to purchase rank 1 upgrades even after achieving rank 2.

Protagonist said:
I mean to say, you retain the ability to purchase rank 1 upgrades even after achieving rank 2.
Cool beans, that is what I thought/hoped. Otherwise you'd have to plan ahead to a semi-ridiculous degree. Thanks.

I just statted out the ship. Still haven't done all the math to see if I haven't overspent, though. I doubt I did, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apollo, estimate of with 2 DOF, No awareness so don't know how to do step three and how long is the trip because I don't know how to roll for warp encounters!

Don't worry. If you break the ship Naomi will put it back together again, only better.

Um, there's always pieces left over when you're done putting these things back together, right?

Hm, I'm having trouble coming up with what Apollo would swear by. He doesn't recognize the God-Emperor (and grew up in a culture that doesn't worship him) or any other 40k gods. I suppose I could just have him swear by the Abrahamic God. I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

I think I'll use "Providence".

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to point out that the short story 'The Last Church' depicts the Emprah talking to the last Christian in existence. Or what is very heavily implied to be. Although depending on when Interex and Apollo were around, and when the story is set, that may not be an issue.

For all we know, you can worship the emperah but not believe in all the weird shit that was built around him. He said himself in a text somewhere that the emperor wanted to abolish religions but that could just be shit from "If the Emperor had a Text to Speech device".

[QUOTE="Deltorian Nephran]For all we know, you can worship the emperah but not believe in all the weird shit that was built around him. He said himself in a text somewhere that the emperor wanted to abolish religions but that could just be shit from "If the Emperor had a Text to Speech device".

[/QUOTE]
The Emperor wanted to abolish all religions. As Fezzes pointed out, he killed the last Christian on Terra. Apollo, however, probably wouldn't know that either, since he lived in Interex (a non-Imperium government) that fought against the Imperium during the Great Crusade and assumed they were allies of Chaos.

It's theoretically possible that Christianity made the jump into space along with mankind (so there might have been Christians across space during the age of Strife that were later destroyed by the Imperium), though it does sound a bit jarring to invoke the Abrahamic God in this setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back