• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice To Kill A Primordial - OOC Thread

Characters
Here
I think I'll definitely boost Stamina to max to ensure I survive combat. Still trying to do the math on the rest.

What do WIT and DEC stand for for weapons, I looked at the core book and couldn't figure it out? Also how do I determine weapon range for a melee weapon?
Where are you seeing WIT and DEC? I’m not sure what that is without context.

Range in 3e is rather vague, just listing it as range bands of Close, Short, Medium, Long, and Extreme. Most melee combat is going to be in Close range.

Prosthetic Artifacts (work in progress tell me if they're too game breaking)
Seven Jeweled Eye of Sovereignty-(Artifact 3) A false eye made of jewels pried from rings of long dead kings. The exalt wielding this artifact can at all times perceive immaterial and spiritual beings along with flow of essence. Still holding on to the aura of authority held by the now dead kings it adds the exalted's essence level to all presence attempts involving in intimidation.

Iron Hand of the Dragon Prince- (Artifact 3) The mummified hand of a Dragon King from the days of Primordial rule coated with a layer of articulate soulsteel. It can touch and attack immaterial beings like ghosts and spirits. Any weapon held by this adds damage based on the exalteds essence level.

Prosthetic Artifacts (work in progress tell me if they're too game breaking)
Seven Jeweled Eye of Sovereignty-(Artifact 3) A false eye made of jewels pried from rings of long dead kings. The exalt wielding this artifact can at all times perceive immaterial and spiritual beings along with flow of essence. Still holding on to the aura of authority held by the now dead kings it adds the exalted's essence level to all presence attempts involving in intimidation.

Iron Hand of the Dragon Prince- (Artifact 3) The mummified hand of a Dragon King from the days of Primordial rule coated with a layer of articulate soulsteel. It can touch and attack immaterial beings like ghosts and spirits. Any weapon held by this adds damage based on the exalteds essence level.

Okay, let's break these down. Both of them start with permanent Solar Charms. The first one arguably grants most of All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight (You don't explicitly list all the things AESS lets you see, but you could make a strong case they follow naturally from being able to see essence flows), the second Spirit-Cutting Attack. Then on top of those permanent Charms you've tacked on a rider to each. One is Essence dice to Presence Intimidation rolls, the second is Essence damage on all attacks.

At least a 5m commitment for both in line with other 3 dot artifacts, but I could argue as high as 7m. Essence to damage on all attacks seems way too strong to be anything less than an Evocation. At a minimum you'd have to pay a hefty price to activate that. That's equivalent to a free 2m Strength Excellency on every attack at E2, and most splats don't get the Lunar's efficiency and ease in adding damage. At E5 that's horrifically powerful. The Presence booster is much narrower, and a narrow discount on the Presence Excellency isn't so bad. That effect more broadly is 7m to make permanent in the Solar Charmset, but it shouldn't be that expensive for only Intimidation.

Incidentally, I'm planning to take Teaching Incomprehensible Truths. If anyone would like to have studied under my character, they can go into debt up to 28 XP on Attributes + Abilities. Future Abyssal XP you earn goes towards paying off this debt. I accept payment in the form of sweets, the lamentations of my enemies, and particularly nice skulls.

Okay, let's break these down. Both of them start with permanent Solar Charms. The first one arguably grants most of All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight (You don't explicitly list all the things AESS lets you see, but you could make a strong case they follow naturally from being able to see essence flows), the second Spirit-Cutting Attack. Then on top of those permanent Charms you've tacked on a rider to each. One is Essence dice to Presence Intimidation rolls, the second is Essence damage on all attacks.

At least a 5m commitment for both in line with other 3 dot artifacts, but I could argue as high as 7m. Essence to damage on all attacks seems way too strong to be anything less than an Evocation. At a minimum you'd have to pay a hefty price to activate that. That's equivalent to a free 2m Strength Excellency on every attack at E2, and most splats don't get the Lunar's efficiency and ease in adding damage. At E5 that's horrifically powerful. The Presence booster is much narrower, and a narrow discount on the Presence Excellency isn't so bad. That effect more broadly is 7m to make permanent in the Solar Charmset, but it shouldn't be that expensive for only Intimidation.
Thank you for your input on this. I am horrible with trying to balance custom stuff like this, trying to balance cost vs. benefit.

So 7m commitment for both, make the essence to damage on all attacks an evocation for the hand like 10m for activation. And dedicate 4m for a permenant boost to intimidation via presence

The more you're willing to pay to activate secondary effects, the less I would press for more than 5m commitments. For example, for the Spirit-Cutting Attack artifact, you only break even on a 5m commitment after 5 attacks in a single scene. A lot of combat is over in 3 rounds. Not every scene includes combat. For Spirit-Cutting Attack only I wouldn't go much over a 5m commitment. Permanent AESS seems more appropriate for a 7m commitment

A 3 dot artifact is 6 XP, so you are buying a discount Charm with no pre-reqs. The activatable second effects basically make it two Charms for 6 XP and no requirement to buy pre-reqs. The second effects probably have to be Evocations or unusually expensive.

What if the Artifact cost for the items are increased? Would that lower the commitment cost, and if so, by how much would you suggest?

Random Word Random Word Just to let you know, your Command background is going to represent fewer troops, but the ones you do have under your command are going to be rather powerful necrotech creations of the Toymaker. Large bone and flesh constructs that are basically self-controlled Warstriders.

There's no reason you can't do something like that, but it's not generally how the authors recommended artifact ratings be used. Higher artifact ratings generally meen broader scope for effects. More and more powerful Evocations, bigger more dramatic effects on the world, etc. Artifacts also have the disadvantage they can be stolen where Charms can't, but it's rather unusual for a Storyteller to steal your Artifacts except for maybe a special scene when you're captured and imprisoned.

10m is a lot to pay to activate an effect, so that kind of balances out the fact it packs two Charms into one 3 dot artifact. It's a second Charm, but it's an expensive second Charm, and motes in combat are life.

Random Word Random Word Just to let you know, your Command background is going to represent fewer troops, but the ones you do have under your command are going to be rather powerful necrotech creations of the Toymaker. Large bone and flesh constructs that are basically self-controlled Warstriders.
Way ahead of you! My Command is a Size 3 (About 100) Might 2 battlegroup of bone construct war ghosts my character built using the bound souls of her former Legion. The Toymaker is welcome to have helped her build them, though! They wield massive longbows and paired swords in four arms. They are fucking terrifying after Abyssal War Charms. She can flurry Shape Necromancy and Command actions without penalty, which is just so much murder. I'm also planning to build a Legendary Size bone hydra-spider-thing to put my bone throne on, and create a Second-Circle-Demon-equivalent bone construct (Ambition 3 Labyrinth Circle Necromantic Working) and give him the artifact heavy bone crossbow from the book so I can basically have a heavy machinegun emplacement mounted on my bone spider. Probably the dredged up ghost of some legendary Shogunate general, or maybe even a legendary DB hero who died fighting in the usurpation. I'm open to suggestions if you have a particularly campaign-fitting idea for what ancient martially powerful ghost I should summon.

Surrounded by her constructs she is basically an untouchable murder-ball. Alone she will die to a particularly severe glance.

Hey Random Word Random Word Check the Spoiler in your Necromancy and Sorcery tab. The coding for the one with your scary throne is a little wonky.

Other than that, how are we all coming along on work on your characters? I see several posted, even if they are works in progress.

Mine's coming together, trying to figure out some charm/artifact focuses before completing attribute/ability.

I know you said no custom charms/spells/artifacts, but what about revising some of these from 2e that aren't currently present in 3e books so that they'll fit within the 3e setting?

I'm pretty much set. The only thing I might do is try to pick out a specific Artifact Silken Armor for the possible purchase of Evocations down the road.

Mine's coming together, trying to figure out some charm/artifact focuses before completing attribute/ability.

I know you said no custom charms/spells/artifacts, but what about revising some of these from 2e that aren't currently present in 3e books so that they'll fit within the 3e setting?
I can't quite say no to the idea of tweaking some stuff from 2e since I'm ok-ing EbonChevalier getting his Artifact eye and hand.

We start with 80 regular XP. and 50 Abyssal XP for non-Charm stuff.

I'll boost Stamina and Dexterity to 5 for 32 XP.
I'll boost Athletics, Dodge, Melee, Presence, and Resistance to 5 for 20 XP

For Merits I'm buying a Dripping Slaughter Stone (Standard Abyssal Hearthstone) for 4 XP, a Gemstone of Shattering Force (Standard Hearthstone) Arms of the Chosen 134 for 4 XP, and a 2 dot Retainer (a God-blooded advisor who also serves as his personal chef, entertainer, and interpreter) for 4 XP. If the Retainer's serving too many roles I'm fine with spending buying another 2 dot Retainer to split off the roles.

I'm buying 5 extra Charms for 50 XP

I'm spending 12 XP on the On Your Knees Evocation for Five Edicts Dominion since it seems like it works with my build and theme.

So that's 50 Charm XP and 76 nonCharm XP spent.

I just need to add up the numbers to finish off the mechanical parts of the sheet so now I just need to figure out backstory and Intimacies/Principles and then I'll post my character sheet.

Would these work for them?

Defining Principle: "Existence is meaningless, only pleasure matters."
Defining Principle: "I will devour every thing worth consuming in existence and cast the rest into Oblivion."
Major Tie (Negative) : Gods of Creation (Hatred and Hunger)
Major Tie: His own destructive capabilities. (Pride)
Minor Principle: "Bloodshed and destruction bring me joy."
Minor Principle: "To strike terror into a victim is as sweet as wine."
Minor Tie (Negative): Asceticism and abstinence (Hatred)
Minor Tie: The Deliverer of Dark Dreams and Nightmares (Grudging gratitude)
Minor Tie: Material pleasures. (Love)

Also what's a good code for posting the character sheet on this site?

Attachments

• Hunger Clad in Broken Oaths.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
I have been at work, without my computer for the past two days, and won't be back home till 12 hours from now, and then go to sleep. Will try to get my character posted then.

Most of his Charms have been chosen, but there are still some things I haven't fully cemented.

Psychie Psychie do you have a ruling on the range of Flesh-Sloughing Wave? It's missing in the draft book. It seems like it must be Short Range. At Close Range it's quite dangerous to execute in combat. At Medium Range it completely eclipses Death of Obsidian Butterflies. I'm trying to decide if I should take a Necromantic mirror of Death of Obsidian Butterflies (Withering Bone-shard Hail or something) or Flesh-Sloughing Wave. If FSW is Medium Range there's just no question - it's the obvious choice, for flavour in making bone constructs and for combat. If it's Short range or less, DoOB looks more attractive for being able to hit targets from on top of her bone hydra-spider-thing. Or an Oblivion-themed Unslakable Thirst of the Devil-Maw.
Cost: 13nm, 1wp
Keywords: Decisive-only
Duration: Instant
The necromancer shapes a singing sphere of ivory Essence in hand and hurls it down to shatter at her feet, unleashing a wave of shrieking light to cleave flesh from bone.
The necromancer unleashes a wave of Essence, rolling an unblockable (Perception + Occult) decisive attack against all living enemies within range, ignoring cover. Each hit enemy suffers (Intelligence + extra successes) dice of damage, or (Intelligence + Essence + extra successes for battle groups. Damaged characters suffer an additional die of lethal damage, ignoring Hardness, at the start of each of their turns as their flesh seeks to escape them. This ends if a damage die doesn’t roll any successes. This spell also tears the flesh free from all corpses within range, leaving only clean bone behind.
Control: The spell’s attack inflicts agonizing pain upon the living as it attempts to rip their flesh free. Enemies injured by the spell increase their wound penalty by −1 for the rest of the scene. The necromancer may call forth a sphere of illuminating ivory light, making skin crawl and flesh twitch where light falls upon it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back