• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice To Kill A Primordial - OOC Thread

Characters
Here
A man with heavy soulsteel plate and a grimscythe is not a man who wants to blend into crowds. Blend crowds into a fine mist, perhaps.

Consider a Hearthstone, though. More fun than Giant, and even without the merit you can still be giant - you just don't get the HL, and there are other ways to get those. A Retainer or Ally if you want a squire or apprentice. Do the whole Sith Lord thing. Cult or Followers if you have a cult tagging along worshipping you as an avatar of death.

Okay, so I'll spend 1 point on language for Old Realm and 2 on a Hearthstone.

Currently for my character sheet I've spent all the Merit points I started with and other than the experience for boosting Melee to 5 dots have just spend all I had for the others too.

I would appreciate advice on what other Charms to purchase and how to finish off my character in terms of spending bonus experience.

My character concept's "big strong scary guy who eats people" so I took the Athletics, Brawl, and Melee charms that seemed to work for that so far.

Attachments

• He Who Devours Light and Life.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
Big, Strong, Scary, and Eats People suggests Resistance for being tough, which often goes with Big & Strong. Scary is the purview of Presence, along with the Hideous Merit. Do you do anything other than be Big, Strong, and Scary? If not, you can just specialize. If you have Apocalyptic Melee you can always just go deep on murder. Charms for Eats People might not exist - I would probably put that in a custom Resistance charm tree, though I could see an argument for Medicine or Occult or something.

Okay, so I'll spend 1 point on language for Old Realm and 2 on a Hearthstone.

Currently for my character sheet I've spent all the Merit points I started with and other than the experience for boosting Melee to 5 dots have just spend all I had for the others too.

I would appreciate advice on what other Charms to purchase and how to finish off my character in terms of spending bonus experience.

My character concept's "big strong scary guy who eats people" so I took the Athletics, Brawl, and Melee charms that seemed to work for that so far.
Oh, worth noting, you don't have any dots in Linguistics. One dot is required to be able to read and write. It's not at all unreasonable your character never learned to read and write growing up, depending on their upbringing, but your Deathlord would have had someone teach you after your death if you had any interest in learning. There used to be a requirement to have some Lore & Occult to learn to speak Old Realm, though that might be gone in this edition. Let me check.

Edit: Yup Old Realm - "Characters must have Lore 1+ or Occult 1+ to learn this language."

It's okay if you don't speak it - it's an old dead language of scholars and spirits in our world. It just so happens the world we'll be invading still speaks it, so you'll only be able to communicate with the natives through intimidating body language and murder. Those might be your preferred means of communication anyway, though.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll figure out a different place to put that Language Merit point and move another in Abilities for Linguistics for literacy.
Would it be worth getting 2 Hearthstones?

I'll probably spend the rest of my Charms on Melee, Presence, and Resistance. Which ones would work best for that? I'd especially like to know the best Melee Charm trees for my character.

If a Presence Charm says it's about boosting Instill, Inspire, or Threaten it's probably useful to you. Bonus points if it gives bonuses to instilling or inspiring Fear. Extra bonus points if it doesn't require you to speak to do it, as you won't be able to speak to a lot of the NPCs anyway 😆. As for Melee, if you like the description of the Charm it's hard to go wrong. Abyssal Melee is in general going to be very very good at murder. Since Melee is your Apocalyptic Ability, you're looking to dive down to get an Essence 5 capstone Charm if you can.

As for Melee, if you like the description of the Charm it's hard to go wrong. Abyssal Melee is in general going to be very very good at murder. Since Melee is your Apocalyptic Ability, you're looking to dive down to get an Essence 5 capstone Charm if you can.
Is there a wrong/best way to go for my current build or does it not matter as long as I buy my way down a tree?

Just a thought, but you don’t have to be Hideous to be scary. You can instill mortal terror into someone and still be handsome. But if hideous fits your mental picture for your character, go for it.

I picture him as having basically grown an exoskeleton and having a mouth full of scary teeth so I picked Hideous on purpose.
Cool. Like I said, if it works for your build, go for it! Do you have any artwork that you are basing this off of that you can share? I’d love to see what it is that you’re looking at.

I picture him as having basically grown an exoskeleton and having a mouth full of scary teeth so I picked Hideous on purpose.
Also, if you are talking an exoskeleton like a bug, you can go for the Unusual Skin mutation. That will give you the look you want and add to your soak to make it harder to hurt you.

You can get multiple hearthstones but you’ll have to read their description carefully. Some require that you have them socketed into an artifact. Most weapons and armor have sockets though

Okay, after updating I've now got 19 Charms. So I've spent 40 of the regular XP and 8 of the 50 I get for non-Charm stuff.

Should I just max the stuff I want to focus on or save XP?

Also, if you are talking an exoskeleton like a bug, you can go for the Unusual Skin mutation. That will give you the look you want and add to your soak to make it harder to hurt you.
More like his skull's grown over his head. But he wears a helmet.

In terms of character images I'm thinking like these:

1728600581565.jpeg1728600677161.jpeg1728600751810.png1728600704243.jpeg

I'm thinking a Dripping Slaughter Stone and another Hearthstone for weapon or armor or spending all 4 points on Abhorrent Reaper’s Fang.
Abyssals (page 541)

Edit: Probably just going to spend all 4 on Abhorrent Reaper’s Fang.

Evocations can be very nice depending on the Artifact. They are just a tad expensive.

If you are going with the Strength Charm to boost your to hit, you can save some points by just focusing on that. Stamina adds to your Soak and gives you health levels if you buy the Charm Corpse Body Resilience, so that’s always good for a damage magnet.

Well, I will say that banked xp doesn’t help you unless you are saving for something that’s expensive. I will also say that since you are new to the system, I will let you tweak your character after a while after you have had a chance to see what your character is weaker in.

I think I'll definitely boost Stamina to max to ensure I survive combat. Still trying to do the math on the rest.

What do WIT and DEC stand for for weapons, I looked at the core book and couldn't figure it out? Also how do I determine weapon range for a melee weapon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back