• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Before the boys could talk anymore, the famous Sorting Hat was brought out and Professor McGonogall went to the stool where she was given a scroll of names of every first year. “Now, when I call your name, please step up to the stool so that you may be sorted,” she announced, speaking clearly. Sirius swallowed thickly, feeling his heart pounding in his chest.

There were only a handful of A and B names before Professor McGonagall cleared her throat and said, "Black, Sirius."

The room went quiet, a few Slytherins whispering amongst themselves about him. Probably his moral failings as an ancient pureblood heir.

Remus gulped. "Wow, you're... popular."

James seemed oblivious to the atmosphere and gave him a double thumbs up. "You got this!"

Sirius knew he was going to be up early. There were only a few A and B last names before the name was said that sent the whole Great Hall into silence, minus the whisperings of Slytherins. Sirius took a deep breath and glanced over at Remus, James, and Peter. “I wouldn’t say in a good way…” he muttered to Remus. Peter mimicked James and shot Sirius two thumbs ups. He simply gave a nod to James and Peter before turning around to approach the stool. He felt hundreds of sets of eyes staring at him in that moment. It was easy to see why Remus was so nervous about that.

The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife as Sirius sat down onto the stool. McGonogall lowered the Sorting Hat onto his head and it instantly came to life. “Ah! A Black! Never has a Black not been sorted into Slytherin, you know,” said that Hat. Sirius rolled his eyes at this- of course he knew that. His parents wouldn’t let him forget what a wonderful house Slytherin was because they only let in those pure of blood. “But you, you’re different…. Where to put you?” the Hat mumbled on.

Sirius felt his heart pounding now. “Bravery, courage, fierce loyalty. I know where to put you…” the Hat said, finally having come to its decision. “Better be…” it said, pausing. “GRYFFINDOR!” the Sorting Hat yelled. Slytherin looked rather uncomfortable, some stunned at the sorting. They probably knew that Sirius was being disowned or something along those lines after this. Meanwhile Gryffindor didn’t care, all of its members cheering loudly as they welcomed their newest housemate. The hat was taken off of Sirius’ head and he went to go join his new fellow Gryffindors at the Gryffindor table. He looked over at Remus, James, and Peter and gave them a smile.

James was probably cheering the loudest of them all, jumping up and down and applauding. "I KNEW IT! YES!" He turned to Remus and Peter. "Didn't I guess it? Everyone here is getting into Gryffindor." He grinned madly. "Friendship boat magic."

Remus smiled. "Good for him."

Sirius could see that James was the most hyped in the room, which made him smile. He guess James was right- he had a feeling that he’d be in Gryffindor and here he was there now. Sirius was greeted with pats on the back from his new older housemates as he took a seat at the end of the Gryffindor table. The Sorting Ceremony continued as the rest of the B’s, C’s, D’s, and most of the E’s were done. It was towards the end of the E last names that one particular girl’s name was called. “Evans, Lily,” announced Professor McGonogall. From the crowd of first years came a beautiful girl with stunning red hair and green eyes, gracefully taking her seat on the stool. The Sorting Hat said a few words, almost placing her into Ravenclaw before driving that Gryffindor would be the best fit for her. The Gryffindors cheered loudly and Sirius clapped for his new housemate as she joined him and the other Gryffindor first years at the end of their table.

James' jaw dropped, his eyes wide. "Woah. That's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Did you see that red hair? Gorgeous."

Remus frowned. "Really? He never understood what made a girl pretty. He had read plenty of books that went on and on, but he only understood it when it was about guys. Like Sirius was attractive, for example. His hair was long, soft, and dark. His eyes had this mirth to them and he smelled something distinctly herbal. A woman would clearly go crazy for that. But he could never have the same clinical reaction over a woman.

Peter nodded quickly as James commented how pretty that Lily Evans girl was with her fiery red hair. He raised a curious eyebrow though as Remus didn’t seem to find anything particularly stunning about her. How could you not? The hair, those beautiful emerald eyes! The sorting ceremony continued on as Lily Evans took her place amongst the Gryffindor ranks.

"Yes, really!" James sighed. "Maybe you're just not old enough to appreciate girls."

Remus turned bright red. "O-Okay. Sorry."

James frowned. "It was just a joke. I'm sorry. Everyone has different tastes, it's okay."

Remus just nodded.

It took a long time to make it through F, G, H, I, J, and K. They still had to get through most of the L's to make it to Remus. His legs were hurting and he was starting to forget what he was worried about when:

"Lupin, Remus!"

Peter nodded at what James said. He could appreciate the girl’s beauty but he wasn’t quite interested in dating anyone or romantic love at eleven years old. The sorting ceremony went on and soon, a familiar name was called. It was Remus Lupin’s turn. Sirius hearing it, perked up immediately as his eyes found the meek and bookish boy with the scars and his mousy brown hair. He hoped and prayed that Remus would be a Gryffindor with him too, although he somewhat struck him as a Ravenclaw.

Remus sat on the stool, hoping no one would notice how he was shaking. The hat practically covered his eyes. It was soothing, actually, not having to see everyone who was looking at him. He could even think about pretending that he was just a normal kid.

Ah. I've never had a werewolf, before.

Of course, he couldn't.

I'm sorry, Remus thought with all of his might. Please don't tell anyone. I'm happy in Hufflepuff.

The hat hummed. No, no. You would go to waste there. It's not for you. Ravenclaw maybe? You're smart enough for it. But you're more than that, aren't you? I see. Yes. it's got to be---

"Gryffindor!" the hat yelled, jolting Remus slightly. When the cheers started, it felt like he had left his own body.

"I TOLD YOU! YOU DIDN'T BELIEVE ME BUT I TOLD YOU!" James clapped just as hard as he did for Sirius.

Sirius leaned forward with anticipation. The suspense threatened to kill him before the Sorting Hat finally announced. Remus Lupin was a Gryffindor! Gryffindor erupted into cheers, the loudest one being Sirius (and James if you counted him from where the first years were standing). Sirius just clapped proudly for his new friend as he was welcomed to the Gryffindor table.

Remus walked forward in a blind daze, barely stumbling into his seat at the table. "I'm a Gryffindor. I'm a... how?"

James high-fived Peter. "Now just us two. We'll get in for sure. The magic friendship boat was real."

It wasn't nearly as long until McGonagall called for, "Pettigrew, Peter."

James cheered. "Go get that Gryffindor title!"

Peter smiled as he high fived James. Sirius grinned, beaming with pride for Remus, very happy as the boy took his seat next to him at the Gryffindor table. “The Hat never lies lad, you deserve to be here in Gryffindor. It saw that,” he told Remus. “I sure hope we get there too,” said Peter as the sorting continued. Before anyone knew it, they were onto the P last names. Peter perked up as McGonogall called his name. He gave a little nervous glance to James before approaching the stool. Sirius watched intently, hoping Peter would be sorted into Gryffindor with them too.

Peter sat down on the stool and McGonogall put the Sorting Hat onto his head. “Hmm,” it hummed, “Very difficult,” said the Hat. “You’d do well in Slytherin- yes, very well. But perhaps Gryffindor would suit you too. Decisions, decisions…” the Hat rambled. Peter just shifted nervously in his seat as the entire Great Hall watched on. The Sorting Hat ended up taking around five whole minutes to come to its final decision. Finally, it announced “GRYFFINDOR!”

The Gryffindor table erupted into cheers and Peter grinned from ear to ear, happy to be sorted there. He scurried over to the Gryffindor table and took a seat beside Remus. Now, all that was left was James, who was coming up very soon.

Remus smiled softly. "Good job, Peter." He was happy that Peter made it to be with his friends. He was the only other one that seemed to have doubts.

James was going mad waiting for his turn, daydreaming about all of the great times they would soon have as friends. They could join the Quidditch team together and put together the best pranks to ever grace this school. It felt like a dream. He was so enthralled that he almost missed it when McGonagall called out, "Potter, James!"

James jolted back to reality and headed to the stool. As soon as the hat touched his head it yelled, "Gryffindor!"

He lept out of the stool. "Yes!" He pumped his fist.

“Thanks Remus!” Peter replied with a big grin. “And congrats to you and Sirius! All we need is James now!” said the happy boy. Sirius simply nodded in appreciation over towards Peter and directed his attention to the stool. James Potter had been called. He watched his new best friend get up to the stool and as McGonogall lowered the hat onto James’ head, it immediately shouted Gryffindor. This was it- all four boys were sorted into Gryffindor! James was right! They were all Gryffindors! The Gryffindor table erupted into cheer, Sirius probably hollering and hooting the loudest of everyone. Peter clapped proudly for James as all of the Gryffindors welcomed their newest housemate to the table.

James ran over to the Gryffindor table, arms stretched out like he had just won the Quidditch cup. He plopped beside Peter, grinning madly. "See? There was no reason to worry. The magic friendship boat was real and now we're all together. I bet we're even going to be roommates. Every night will be like a sleepover and we can stay up as late as we want planning pranks and revenge on those horrible people."

Remus felt a strange pull in his chest. It was something he only felt when he was reading or way back when his mom was alive. He was... happy. He was thrilled, even. He had friends. Wonderful friends who were nice.

Sirius chuckled, “Guess you were right James,” he said with a smile. He couldn’t be happier that James was right. He’d already found his people. These three boys were his friends- best friends. He was looking forward to getting to know them over the course of seven years here at Hogwarts. “Count me in!” said Sirius, grinning at the idea of planning pranks late at night. “It’s all coming together well, isn’t it?” Peter said with a grin, happy to be included.

James grinned. "Yes! It's going to be perfect!"

Their happy conversation was interrupted by another name. "Snape, Severus." James wasn't going to pay attention until he saw who it was.

"Hey. That's the guy. The one who made fun of Remus!"

Sure enough, the same greasy black hair and pale skin sat on the stool, a smirk on his face as the hat was set down.

Eventually, a vaguely familiar name was called. Sirius directed his attention to the front and saw James pointing out that this boy was one of the guys who had bullied Remus. Sirius glared at Severus Snape, now having a name to put to that ugly face. He watched as the greasy haired boy got up to the stool, an arrogant smirk on his face. It all just made Sirius want to punch him right in that crooked looking nose of his. “SLYTHERIN!” the Hat shouted almost immediately, and the Slytherin table erupted into cheers. Sirius scoffed, “Not surprising….”

James scoffed. "Severus? More like Snivellus. Gross." He rolled his eyes. "We're going to put him in his place tomorrow."

Remus sighed. "Look on the bright side. We're all in Gryffindor. I'm fine. He's far away from us. We don't need to fight! We're good."

James scoffed. "Oh no. I'm quite looking forward to it. He deserves it. Besides, if we back out now we're cowards."

"Being a coward is better than getting expelled!"

Sirius snickered at the nickname that James had come up with for their newfound enemy. Snivellus Snape sounded good for a sniveling grease ball like him. “Mr. Snivellus Snape is going to be in for a rude awakening. We’re gonna make sure he never crosses us again!” he said boldly.

Remus sighed, covering his face. “You two are going to chase those boys to the end of the earth, huh?”

James scoffed. “He steps on your foot and then makes fun of you for reacting like you were hurt! That’s utter rubbish! No one gets to do that, least of all a slime ball like him.”

“Of course we are Remus. Nobody messes with us. You come for one, you get all!” Sirius said boldly. “Don’t worry Remus, they’ll make them pay for being such bullies!” Peter said with a smile and a quick succession of nods.

“Didn’t you not like this idea either, Peter?” Remus sighed, upset he lost his one ally. “Why are you on their side now?”

James smirked. “Maybe he just knows we’re the winning side.”

“Well I uhh, I think it’s a good thing- that they’re defending you!” Peter replied. “We can’t just let people walk all over you like that,” he said with a frown, “They’re being good friends!” he said. Sirius nodded, “Right you are Peter!”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back