• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Haven Falls

Characters
Here
Other
Here
Ashlyn Montana
mood
Feeling out of place

outfit
Black boots, light jeans, black belt, tucked in black tank top and glasses

tags
@Qwertycakes
Ashlyn sat cross-legged on the cool kitchen floor, stacking colorful blocks with her little brother. His giggles filled the room as the tower wobbled, threatening to topple with each new block she added. She smiled at him, enjoying the moment. If only life could stay this simple, she thought to herself, brushing a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

Her mother’s voice floated from the doorway, cutting into her thoughts. "Ashlyn, you should really go to the football game tonight."

Ashlyn’s smile faded, her attention drifting from her brother to her mom, who stood with crossed arms and an insistent look on her face. She tried to protest. "Mom, I don’t really care about football, and I don’t-"

"You need to make friends," her mom interrupted, her tone firm but not unkind. "We’ve been in this town for a couple weeks now and you’ve barely made an effort. It’s a good way to meet people."

Ashlyn exhaled heavily, looking down at her brother, who was still completely engrossed in his game. Her mom’s words felt like a weight. It wasn’t that she didn’t want to make friends, she just didn’t see the point in forcing something that didn’t come naturally. She was fine with how things were. Besides, her mind was always elsewhere, constantly spinning with story ideas. Socializing felt like a distraction.

Then again, maybe her mom had a point. She could gather some new material for her book, the one she’d been working on in secret. High school drama was full of inspiration for her writing and a football game would be brimming with the kind of scenes she liked to eavesdrop on, the kind that sparked her creativity.

"Fine," Ashlyn finally said with a sigh, pushing herself off the floor. "But I’m only going for research." Her mother smiled, clearly satisfied with the small victory.

A short while later, Ashlyn found herself walking toward the stadium, her hands shoved deep in the pockets of her jeans as the crowd grew louder around her. She felt completely out of place. I don’t belong here. The buzz of excitement and chatter felt suffocating. People were shouting, laughing, and reconnecting after the summer break, but Ashlyn felt like she was watching it all through a window, not really part of it.

She wandered aimlessly, searching for a familiar face, though she knew she wouldn’t find one. This is pointless. Deciding she’d had enough, she veered off toward the bleachers, ducking underneath them. The shadows provided some much-needed relief from the chaos of the crowd. Plus, it was the perfect spot to listen in on conversations, her secret hobby.

Ashlyn leaned against a beam, closing her eyes briefly, letting the voices of people above her blur into white noise. This is better. She could just sit back, relax, and maybe catch some interesting dialogue she could use later. Her fingers itched to pull out her phone to start writing down observations, but she stopped herself.

As she adjusted her position, her gaze landed on a boy sitting alone, just a few feet away. He was hunched over, his head down, picking at the dirt with the toe of his shoe. Ashlyn’s heart skipped for a second. Wait… I know him. It was the kid she had quite literally bumped into on the first day of school. He had those same brooding eyes, dark hair that fell a little too perfectly, and a kind of aura that screamed loner. His look was almost straight out of a book, like a character you’d expect to see in a story.

She hesitated, biting her lip, debating whether to say something. What’s the worst that could happen? Worst case, he’d ignore her. Best case, maybe she’d get some good material for her book. Ashlyn stood there for a moment, debating whether to approach the boy sitting alone. What am I even doing? she thought. Something about the quietness of him, the way he seemed to be avoiding the world just like her, made her feel like she wasn’t completely out of place.

She took a breath and walked over, her steps soft to not startle him. Leaning casually against a nearby beam, she cleared her throat.

“So... hiding from the world too?” she said, trying to inject a bit of humor into her voice. “It’s kind of the perfect spot for it, right? Under the bleachers, where no one really looks.”

He glanced up, his dark eyes looking at her. She couldn’t quite tell if he was annoyed or something else.

Ashlyn shrugged, pushing herself off the beam and continuing before the silence got awkward. “I mean, you gotta admit, it’s better than being up there with the crowd, right?” She nodded toward the bleachers where the sounds of talking and shouting filtered through. "Feels like the whole school is up there, and I... well, I'm not really in the mood for all that."

For a second, she thought maybe he wasn’t going to respond.
coded by reveriee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back