• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Avatar Legends: The Northern War - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Posted a character sheet WIP - still got to write up some history, but hopefully it's a good enough reference for now!

Wandering Owl Wandering Owl
Heya. Just to let you know, I have found three more people who have expressed interest in taking part in this game ( Psychie Psychie Random Word Random Word and Sherwood Sherwood ), though due to real-life circumstances, it may be a while before some of them can join in earnest. In any event, we should have enough people for an actual game now.

What is the timeline that we are playing in? Is this during ATLA or the LOK?

D. Rex D. Rex Psychie Psychie Random Word Random Word Sherwood Sherwood Wandering Owl Wandering Owl
Quick check-in, but how's everyone coming along with characters and stuff? Anyone need/want any help?

( Random Word Random Word and Sherwood Sherwood , I know you two are busy with RL leisure right now, so no pressure.)

Also, just to let you all know, I've had a read of the corebook preview, and apparently we don't actually play out the events of the inciting incident. It's more just a bit of background to explain how the player characters met, and why they're all working together to carry out the group focus.

Last edited:
I'm starting to work on a concept, but its still a bit hazy. I'm thinking of a possible air bender.

I'm starting to work on a concept, but its still a bit hazy. I'm thinking of a possible air bender.
Hmm. Unless you can make a good case for it, I'm going to have to veto that. This game is taking place prior to the events of Korra; there are no airbenders around besides Aang. Apologies.

That aside, what do you have so far for the character concept, if you don't mind me asking?

Hmmm. No airbender. Ok. I can work with something else. I was thinking of a monk-ish style nomad, that would travel the world and offers up nuggets of her wisdom to others. I may end up with a waterbender instead now.

Hmmm. No airbender. Ok. I can work with something else. I was thinking of a monk-ish style nomad, that would travel the world and offers up nuggets of her wisdom to others. I may end up with a waterbender instead now.
If you want to go the whole "offering up nuggets of wisdom to others" route, my first instinct right now would be to take the Pillar playbook. That one largely focuses on providing leadership/support to the rest of the group, which I feel could very well manifest as your character providing wisdom to everyone else. It would require your character to be the leader of an established team of sorts in their backstory though; perhaps these could be warrior monks of sorts who once travelled with your character?

Otherwise, there's another playbook - The Elder - that seems to be all about being a source of wisdom. That one's not likely to be made available until the end of the month, though.

Neither of these two playbooks are in the quickstart, but I can happily provide you with the details for them - or at least the Pillar right now.

I was starting to ponder a weapons master of some kind. Possibly a swordsman. Not too sure what kind of background s/he would have or what kingdom to pick.

D. Rex D. Rex Psychie Psychie Random Word Random Word Sherwood Sherwood Wandering Owl Wandering Owl
Quick check-in, but how's everyone coming along with characters and stuff? Anyone need/want any help?
I think I've done as much of my sheet as I can before the other PCs are established - the final part of the history might get shifted around depending on the group and inciting incident but for now I'm happy with it. Feel free to look it over and let me know if there's anything that needs changed.

I think I've done as much of my sheet as I can before the other PCs are established - the final part of the history might get shifted around depending on the group and inciting incident but for now I'm happy with it. Feel free to look it over and let me know if there's anything that needs changed.
With regards to the questions, I'm guessing that:
  • The human impact of the war and his order's neutrality is what awoke Li Bao's protective mentality.
  • Miko is the person Li Bao used to protect.
  • Tian is the one who betrayed Li Bao's trust.
  • Miko's bracelet is the adornment Li Bao carries with him.
The bit about seismic sense being used as a diagnostic aid is certainly an interesting idea, and I can definitely consider it plausible in the setting, given how Toph's lie detection works.

That being said, if utilizing seismic sense is a key part of Li Bao's character and fighting style, are you sure you don't want to have Detect the Hidden Step be his initial mastered technique? The way you have it set up now, he has the aptitude to use seismic sense, but he can't use it nearly as easily as he might use "conventional" earthbending.

With regards to the questions, I'm guessing that:
  • The human impact of the war and his order's neutrality is what awoke Li Bao's protective mentality.
  • Miko is the person Li Bao used to protect.
  • Tian is the one who betrayed Li Bao's trust.
  • Miko's bracelet is the adornment Li Bao carries with him.
The bit about seismic sense being used as a diagnostic aid is certainly an interesting idea, and I can definitely consider it plausible in the setting, given how Toph's lie detection works.

That being said, if utilizing seismic sense is a key part of Li Bao's character and fighting style, are you sure you don't want to have Detect the Hidden Step be his initial mastered technique? The way you have it set up now, he has the aptitude to use seismic sense, but he can't use it nearly as easily as he might use "conventional" earthbending.
That's all good for the questions! Yun and Jianzhu in the Kyoshi novels use seismic sensing, so I felt like it was plausible to have it be a recognised practice even before Toph came along.
I wasn't sure which one of those I wanted to have as Mastered and Learned, honestly. As a player, I think I just wanted to steer the character away from being too one-note, and felt like the stone wall move links in very well with the Guardian role. Narratively, my thoughts were that he's not really had the chance to train with seismic sensing in combat, and trying to apply a technique used for slow, measured healing to the very quick, unpredicatable way you'd have to use it in battle wouldn't be an easy adaption, but the stone wall is something he's more likely to be able to learn off other earthbenders. He'd still use seismic sensing outside of battle - I can see it being useful for things like comfort and support, or assessing a situation with an NPC. It would be harder to find a teacher for Detect the Hidden Step, though, compared to a more standard Earthbending move.

That's all good for the questions! Yun and Jianzhu in the Kyoshi novels use seismic sensing, so I felt like it was plausible to have it be a recognised practice even before Toph came along.
You've read the Kyoshi novels too? Noice.

I'm turning in for the night now. I'll try and address the rest of what you've said tomorrow.

I wasn't sure which one of those I wanted to have as Mastered and Learned, honestly. As a player, I think I just wanted to steer the character away from being too one-note, and felt like the stone wall move links in very well with the Guardian role. Narratively, my thoughts were that he's not really had the chance to train with seismic sensing in combat, and trying to apply a technique used for slow, measured healing to the very quick, unpredicatable way you'd have to use it in battle wouldn't be an easy adaption, but the stone wall is something he's more likely to be able to learn off other earthbenders. He'd still use seismic sensing outside of battle - I can see it being useful for things like comfort and support, or assessing a situation with an NPC. It would be harder to find a teacher for Detect the Hidden Step, though, compared to a more standard Earthbending move.
My main concern here is that, the way the mechanics work in this game, you need to have a Mastered technique reliant on a specialized bending form to be able to access said specialization for general use, including skills and training/push your luck rolls. To quote from the corebook:

In general, the rules for becoming a bender with a specialty are:
  • You must successfully learn a technique of that specialty to prove you have the aptitude for it at all.
  • You must master a technique of that specialty to be able to use the specialty as easily as the rest of your training.
A PC Earthbender who learns a metalbending technique has proved they have the aptitude to metalbend, but they can’t yet use metalbending as easily as their earthbending. They can’t use metalbending to rely on their skills and training, or push their luck, or for their basic combat techniques.

A PC Earthbender who masters a metalbending technique can now use metalbending as easily as their earthbending, including for all the basic moves and the basic combat techniques. When they use Strike, they can hurl a spinning disc of metal at foes; when they use Seize a Position, they can use their metalbending to shoot out a metal grappling line and swing into the air.

So yeah, since Li Bao doesn't have a Mastered Seismic Sense technique, I wouldn't say he can have "seismic sense" as his fighting style. Like, when I saw it, I figured that meant there was a particular emphasis on him using it to detect enemy attacks and combatants, kinda like Toph.

My main concern here is that, the way the mechanics work in this game, you need to have a Mastered technique reliant on a specialized bending form to be able to access said specialization for general use, including skills and training/push your luck rolls. To quote from the corebook:

So yeah, since Li Bao doesn't have a Mastered Seismic Sense technique, I wouldn't say he can have "seismic sense" as his fighting style. Like, when I saw it, I figured that meant there was a particular emphasis on him using it to detect enemy attacks and combatants, kinda like Toph.
Okay, that's fair, I'll switch them over.

I have a question about the Combat Techniques and how we are able to pick one that is Mastered and one is Learned. Since I'm going with the Weapons skill, do I pick from these maneuvers?

Bludgeon (Advance and Attack)​

Using a blunt weapon or hand-to-hand combat, attempt to rapidly subdue your foe. Mark 1-fatigue and cause your foe to shift their balance away from center; if their balance is now +2 or higher, they mark Stunned. Mark an additional 1-fatigue to move your foe to a different position within reach.

Boom!* (Advance and Attack)​

Throw a small prepared explosive into the midst of your foes. Mark 2-fatigue or clear Prepared to toss the explosive into your enemies’ midst. Everyone in range (including allies in the area) must either mark 3-fatigue to dive away, or mark a condition and become Stunned, their choice.

Chart a Course* (Evade and Observe)​

Plan a clear and perfect path of action. Secretly choose your approach and up to two techniques you plan to use in the next exchange (noting them in advance). If you use those techniques in the next exchange, reveal your planning; those techniques cost no fatigue and cannot be cancelled or blocked. Anyone engaged with you can mark fatigue to look at the note.

Counterstrike (Defend and Maneuver)​

Using impeccable timing, read your foe’s movement and lash out with blinding speed. Execute a Strike as if you had marked 1-fatigue against an engaged foe who chose advance and attack as their approach. You cannot use this technique if you have any negative statuses.

Disarm (Defend and Maneuver)​

Target your foe’s ability to fight by breaking, removing, or limiting a particular style. Mark 2-fatigue to name any advanced advance and attack technique your foe has—they are unable to use that technique for the remainder of this encounter.

Feint (Evade and Observe)​

Trick your foes into overextending themselves against you. If you were targeted by any attacks this exchange, you may mark fatigue to immediately inflict a condition on each of your attackers.

Parry (Defend and Maneuver)​

Stop a foe’s attack before it connects. Choose a foe who used advance and attack this exchange; during advance and attack, mark fatigue—1-for-1—to cancel an attack they use against you after they pay the costs.

Pin a Fly to a Tree* (Advance and Attack)​

Fire arrows with perfect accuracy to pin a foe in place. Mark 1-fatigue to inflict Impaired on a target, or 3-fatigue to inflict Impaired and Trapped.

Pinpoint Thrust (Advance and Attack)​

Using a thrusting or stabbing weapon, go straight for the target with precision and accuracy. Mark 1-fatigue and inflict 2-fatigue and Impaired on your foe. You may mark an additional 1-fatigue to move yourself to a new position within reach immediately; any foes engaged with you may mark 1-fatigue to block this movement.

Switch It Up (Evade and Observe)​

Switch up your style, footwork, weapon, or bearing, causing your foe to second-guess your next move. Mark 1-fatigue to become Prepared and force an engaged foe to reveal their choice of approach before you choose yours during the next exchange.

Take the High Ground (Defend and Maneuver)​

Move to an advantageous position above your foe. Mark 1-fatigue, become Favored, and ignore the harm and negative statues from any attacks they make against you this exchange.

Turn the Tables* (Advance and Attack)​

Make careful strikes to undermine your foe’s advantageous position. Mark 1-fatigue to knock your foe from their position to a new, disadvantageous location, inflicting 1-fatigue. If your foe was Favored or Prepared at the start of the exchange, you do not mark fatigue, you inflict an additional 1-fatigue, and they lose all appropriate positive statuses. These costs and consequences cannot be canceled or avoided by another technique

Users who are viewing this thread

Back