• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

Akio said:
To be fair both the north and Dorne have kind of almost unassailable entrance ways except by sea. And we wouldn't have made an ebemy of the west or tyrells. No reason yet
No but you would have made enemies of the Vale, who could attack by sea (Gulltown), the Riverlands who could attack by sea (Maidenpool and Saltpans) and the Stormlands who can use their highly trained marcher Lords to stomp you out or attack by sea (Weeping Town and Tarth) oh and the crownlands who can attack by sea.

Also I don't think the Lannisters or the Reach would take kindly to a Ibbenese conquest for one of the kingdoms of westeros.

TheAncientCenturion said:
No one would. Bugger the North, but why let a rival power take control of close to a third of Westeros?
Fair enough. Though Cayden would have no issue other then possible tactical ones letting the men of Ib die deal or not. He much rather make a contract with the west or Tyrells and discard ib if he could. Je likes foreigners no more then the north

Akio said:
Fair enough. Though Cayden would have no issue other then possible tactical ones letting the men of Ib die deal or not. He much rather make a contract with the west or Tyrells and discard ib if he could. Je likes foreigners no more then the north
Or in other words, Cayden's racist.

Elendithas said:
Or in other words, Cayden's racist.
Well or rather he does not wish for them to be in power in Westeros. Hes fine with all those people when hes on thier land but as an invading army they represent a major problem

Akio said:
Well or rather he does not wish for them to be in power in Westeros. Hes fine with all those people when hes on their land but as an invading army they represent a major problem
But Cayden is fine with just waltzing into Pentos with an army of 2,000, he even breaks into the House of one of its citizens and goes to threaten them.

Hypnos said:
But Cayden is fine with just waltzing into Pentos with an army of 2,000, he even breaks into the House of one of its citizens and goes to threaten them.
Lets say he met that magistrate before and got no good impressions so hes fine with threatening that guy. And even with a military he has no power in Pentos. His men pay for what they do and like any visitor they have the right to stay in the city. Besides the free cities often host sell sword companies. Keeps them on good terms.

Akio said:
Lets say he met that magistrate before and got no good impressions so hes fine with threatening that guy. And even with a military he has no power in Pentos. His men pay for what they do and like any visitor they have the right to stay in the city. Besides the free cities often host sell sword companies. Keeps them on good terms.
Vance has met Cayden before and they didn't get along well, why can't Vance threaten Cayden? Why is one considered OK and another not? Pentos (Apparently) lost a war to Braavos and has no army so actually Cayden would have certain powers within the city as the owner of a large military force and even Free Cities that hire sellsword companies (Which Pentos didn't with the Red Spears and likely wouldn't appreciate the drain on resources) host them outside the city inside of camps not within the walls, 2,000 men is a lot of people to suddenly appear.

The Ibbenese aren't even claiming Westeros for themselves they are giving it to another ruler from the continent, what makes it any different from say when the Three Daughters intervened in the Dance or TWOTNPK?

By the way don't take this as critisism for your character, I tend to shout at all the books I read.

Hypnos said:
Vance has met Cayden before and they didn't get along well, why can't Vance threaten Cayden? Why is one considered OK and another not? Pentos (Apparently) lost a war to Braavos and has no army so actually Cayden would have certain powers within the city as the owner of a large military force and even Free Cities that hire sellsword companies (Which Pentos didn't with the Red Spears and likely wouldn't appreciate the drain on resources) host them outside the city inside of camps not within the walls, 2,000 men is a lot of people to suddenly appear.
The Ibbenese aren't even claiming Westeros for themselves they are giving it to another ruler from the continent, what makes it any different from say when the Three Daughters intervened in the Dance or TWOTNPK?

By the way don't take this as critisism for your character, I tend to shout at all the books I read.
Vance can threaten me and he did, he can respond in kind. He can not however threaten Daenna, at least not in his mind. Shes the rightful heir of the seven kingdoms and threatening her is threatening the royal family.

Pentos isn't hosting them, other then food and housing which Cayden makes them pay for. A company that cheats on paying people usually isn't very respected.

Honestly as bad as it is there is a bit of racism involved in that the free cities and Westeros fight wars with each other or assist the other pretty often. Hes used to them, the Ibbens hes not. But the free cities also have never tried to claim an entire region of Westeros. that will piss Cayden off for thats imposing rule on the seven kingdoms

Screw Astapor, I'm claiming New Ghis, after researching a little into the Old Empire of Ghis I'd say it wouldn't be unreasonable for a high-ranking military Officer to stage a coup, and overthrow the Masters through use of the overpowered New Ghis army; since the Ghiscari seem like incredibly proud - even patriotic - people.

Then rather than just wanting to expand, he can work towards restoring the empire that the Valyrians wrecked since they had nukes dragons.

Seriously though, how is New Ghis so powerful? They're the smallest, newest, free city and command a large navy and 36,000 well-trained-non-slave soldiers. I might write it off as another GRRM inconsistency.

Archon said:
Screw Astapor, I'm claiming New Ghis, after researching a little into the Old Empire of Ghis I'd say it wouldn't be unreasonable for a high-ranking military Officer to stage a coup, and overthrow the Masters through use of the overpowered New Ghis army; since the Ghiscari seem like incredibly proud - even patriotic - people.
Then rather than just wanting to expand, he can work towards restoring the empire that the Valyrians wrecked since they had nukes dragons.

Seriously though, how is New Ghis so powerful? They're the smallest, newest, free city and command a large navy and 36,000 well-trained-non-slave soldiers. I might write it off as another GRRM inconsistency.
I though they were getting owned by Ironborn in the Winds of Winter?

New Ghis isn't a Free City, it's the spiritual successor to Old Ghis, destroyed and salted by the Romans Valyrians. I don't think they're quite new either. Compared to the Ghiscari cities of Slavers Bay, maybe, but they're likely much older than the Western Essosi Cities.

New Ghis has an army divided in several iron legions' date=' made up of free citizens who serve for three-years terms. They are armed and trained in the fashion of the Unsullied.[2][3] Though they look more formidable to the naked eye than the Yunkish slave soldiers, the Unsullied know no other life than fighting, whereas the Ghiscari soldiers serve only in terms.[3]
Considering six legions make up a force of 36,000, we can assume the New Ghiscari legions aren't too different from late Roman Republic-Early Empire legions (of 5,120), just with more men per legion. Normally they have what seems like three legions active to defend their domain, but with the use of having citizens take up arms that would, theoretically, able them to raise more-professional-armies in times of crisis. Making them objectively greater than Westerosi levies. Though they'd still be below Unsullied, all things considering, but New Ghiscari is probably the greatest in pure military of the Ghiscari Cities.

Lancelot said:
I though they were getting owned by Ironborn in the Winds of Winter?
Ironborn and Unsullied were fighting, weren't they? It was said just hundreds were landing near two legions, I doubt hundreds of Ironborn warriors on the shore were the sole cause of the trouble. Especially considering most were off fighting in the bay.

TheAncientCenturion said:
Ironborn and Unsullied were fighting, weren't they? It was said just hundreds were landing near two legions, I doubt hundreds of Ironborn warriors on the shore were the sole cause of the trouble. Especially considering most were off fighting in the bay.
I'm not sure.

Lancelot said:
I'm not sure.
TWOW SPOILERS

Another messenger from Morghar zo Zherzyn arrives to inform the Second Sons that Bloodbeard and two Ghiscari legions are defending the Harpy's Daughter from the advancing Unsullied. The Second Sons are to sweep behind and take the Unsullied in the rear. Zheryn is the new Supreme Commander' date=' Gorzhak having been slain by the Prince of Tatters; the Windblown have turned their cloaks. The messenger recognises Tyrion as an escaped slave of Yezzan zo Qaggaz and orders the Second Sons to surrender him. Jorah responds to this by killing the messenger. He falls on the cyvasse table, knocking the white dragon to the floor, which Tyrion picks up. Brown Ben Plumm declares that they have always been Queen's men, and joining the Yunkai'i was just a ploy.
It's definitely the Unsullied. The Ironborn haven't amassed a substantial force on land yet.

Lancelot said:
I thought it was to steal a dragon with the horn?
Eh... one or the other. I was just saying the Iron Fleet's over in Essos running around after Dragons/Mother of Dragons, and I'm pretty sure they were fighting a few people along the way. (Understatement)

Yeah, I saw the wiki, it's where I got the numbers from. ^^

But you're observation of New Ghis's relation to the Late Roman Legion's was a good catch, it would explain the efficiency of having such a large standing army, but my complaint was more at the fact that it seems odd for them to possess such military might when they're smaller than all the other Slaver's Bay* Cities, and wasn't New Ghis built long after Yunkai, Meereen, and Astapor existed since those three belonged to Old Ghis?

We know nothing of the New Ghis commode, but it must profit in some way besides slaves (which all the Slaver's Bay cities partake in), since it's military might is rather outstanding.

Still, I want to be New Ghis. All 'bout dat Empire yo.

@TheAncientCenturion

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back