• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

TheAncientCenturion said:
We're talking about economics, shush!
. . .Do you know what would be interesting? If Tiber began just. .Not dealing in gold anymore? He buys up large amounts of silver in Essos, and I mean crazy amounts. keeps all the Gold Dragons he's given. And let's the quantity of gold skyrocket, and thus the price of gold? And soon the crown needs to borrow the gold, which is worth a crazy amount, to make the gold dragons. They'd be in debt just borrowing materials needed for an economy!

very-interesting.jpg

WanderingJester said:
Too late! Tiber decided to play the game of thrones, not the game of coins.

Akio said:
If old town can double it's loot im making Cayden get a Mario style wing suit
"In recent news, the Dornish Prince, Cayden Martell, known for his brutality in Essos has leapt from a tower in Casterly Rock and fell to his death. He wore bedsheets and shouted that he was unstoppable. But, indeed, the ground did stop him." - King's Landing @ Night, channel 7.

Lancelot said:
To be fair they still wouldn't be as rich as the Lannisters? Especially with what Tiber is doing.
So I see the argument of Hightowers being rich as unfair than why would Lannisters being rich not be unfair if you get me?

As far as we know they are already similar wealths in book canon.

Also the wealth thing has been in there since the beginning, so you guys must have looked over it. And I am open to change it if you wish.
It's a different field of economics entirely. It's as if to say that it's not fair if, oh idk, Argentina (which I'm assuming in this hypothetical that their main export is oil, just go with it) seizes the major oil rich regions of Columbia that's nearly the same size as their own reserves and thus doubling it's national wealth, but that Istanbul, with its prime trading location between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean, couldn't double their wealth by increase trade either. It's two different markets and unless Istanbul makes another port city under its control that monopolizes all trade at the strait of Gibraltar, the two aren't really in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
WanderingJester said:
It's a different field of economics entirely. It's as if to say that it's not fair if, oh idk, Argentina (which I'm assuming in this hypothetical that their main export is oil, just go with it) seizes the major oil rich regions of Columbia that's nearly the same size as their own reserves and thus doubling it's national wealth, but that Istanbul, with its prime trading location between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean, couldn't double their wealth by increase trade either. It's two different markets and unless Istanbul makes another port city under its control that monopolizes all trade at the strait of Gibraltar, the two aren't really in comparison.
I am not denying anything you guys have been saying about trade and I would like to point out that it was an honest mistake. Not everyone knows about trade and economics.

So is there anything you guys wan't me to do? I am willing to change it to something lesser.

But I also like to point out calling it "op" is kind of pointless. House Lannister is one of the biggest military powers, economic and political powers and still would dwarf The Hightowers even if it did double its wealth so I don't see it being as bad as people are making it out to be.

Lancelot said:
To be fair they still wouldn't be as rich as the Lannisters? Especially with what Tiber is doing.
So I see the argument of Hightowers being rich as unfair than why would Lannisters being rich not be unfair if you get me?

As far as we know they are already similar wealths in book canon.

Also the wealth thing has been in there since the beginning, so you guys must have looked over it. And I am open to change it if you wish.
It's not about the Hightowers being richer than the Lannisters, it's about the precedent this sets. This is the same argument I use everytime Valyrian steel is brought up, someone might write a long and detailed backstory about how it was aquifer and passed down through generations, but then someone else will use that as an excuse to write a throwaway line about how they just saw it lying around then picked it up and will cry about special treatment when their sword isn't allowed but the other persons is. This is the same sort of thing.

The Lannister's acquisition of Castamere is a canon thing but since Tywin does not exist in this canon it was up to someone else to achieve the same end. Tiber is differant to Tywin and has differant methods, and went about things a differant way. That means that he got Castamere which in canon is very wealthy and it still had the capabilities to generate that wealth. The circumstances are completely differant, Oldtown didn't just contour their largest rival they just miraculously with no cause or stimulus doubled in wealth.

As far as I know Casterly Rock is richer, with not only gold being mined but taxes from all their vassals. If you can prove to me they are of similar wealth then I'm all ears.

I have never and will never question the ruling of another GM when they approve something, there are actually a few things that I personally wouldn't have approved in some CS but I assume that the person who did approve it considered those things and knew better. I'm not going to nitpick at every line of every character sheets, even if sometimes I might want to.

Hypnos said:
It's not about the Hightowers being richer than the Lannisters, it's about the precedent this sets. This is the same argument I use everytime Valyrian steel is brought up, someone might write a long and detailed backstory about how it was aquifer and passed down through generations, but then someone else will use that as an excuse to write a throwaway line about how they just saw it lying around then picked it up and will cry about special treatment when their sword isn't allowed but the other persons is. This is the same sort of thing.
The Lannister's acquisition of Castamere is a canon thing but since Tywin does not exist in this canon it was up to someone else to achieve the same end. Tiber is differant to Tywin and has differant methods, and went about things a differant way. That means that he got Castamere which in canon is very wealthy and it still had the capabilities to generate that wealth. The circumstances are completely differant, Oldtown didn't just contour their largest rival they just miraculously with no cause or stimulus doubled in wealth.

As far as I know Casterly Rock is richer, with not only gold being mined but taxes from all their vassals. If you can prove to me they are of similar wealth then I'm all ears.

I have never and will never question the ruling of another GM when they approve something, there are actually a few things that I personally wouldn't have approved in some CS but I assume that the person who did approve it considered those things and knew better. I'm not going to nitpick at every line of every character sheets, even if sometimes I might want to.
Iknow, I have already conceded everything that anyone has said, and I am asking since I already said I DONT KNOW about trade and economics what i should change it to?

Lancelot said:
Iknow, I have already conceded everything that anyone has said, and I am asking since I already said I DONT KNOW about trade and economics what i should change it to?
Instead of "double" why not just increased the trade within Oldtown to higher levels than his father or grandfather? That could mean frictional increase that's not as dramatic but traders in the city would still be impressed with what the current lord can do.

WanderingJester said:
Instead of "double" why not just increased the trade within Oldtown to higher levels than his father or grandfather? That could mean frictional increase that's not as dramatic but traders in the city would still be impressed with what the current lord can do.
I would be completely fine with that :)

Lancelot said:
That simple, just mention a gradual increase of wealth, doubt anyone is counting the dragons

Akio said:
Also you have time to change one of your CS's but not post... Shame
I like to take time with my posts and only write them when I am comfortable with writing them. I will definitely get one out tonight but I hope you understand that I may be busier than you think I am.

Lancelot said:
I like to take time with my posts and only write them when I am comfortable with writing them. I will definitely get one out tonight but I hope you understand that I may be busier than you think I am.
*Has been shit posting for the last couple hours*

>:U

I'm personally taking a small hiatus from posting. Just so I don't fall into my system of putting posts out there without much quality or plot relevance.

I

Akio said:
*Has been shit posting for the last couple hours*
>:U
It takes a few seconds of creative thinking or on google, to get a fun shitpost out.

It takes me at LEAST a full hour to get a post out. As much as I'd like to be completely up to date with all my characters, the motivation to post isn't always there.

Archon said:
I
It takes a few seconds of creative thinking or on google, to get a fun shitpost out.

It takes me at LEAST a full hour to get a post out. As much as I'd like to be completely up to date with all my characters, the motivation to post isn't always there.
Not to mention when you post you always feel like you are being judged and you have to make sure that it is high quality so it doesn't look out of place.

Speaking of changing CS's. I was thinking earlier of making Lord Massey a really strict follower of The Seven, instead of R'hllor. I think it'll make more sense with where I want to go with the character.

So, The Lord Of Light will have to find someone else to spread his word.

Huh, guess I'm the only one that just throws out update posts whenever I've got time. xD

Guess I'm the guy with the crap posts in this RP xD

WanderingJester said:
Huh, guess I'm the only one that just throws out update posts whenever I've got time. xD
Guess I'm the guy with the crap posts in this RP xD
Your posts are far from "crap", Jester.

You're just not as lazy as the rest of us. Which,
uh, reminds me... I got a post to work on. >->

I always end up considering a lot of my posts bad or below average, I don't know. Maybe it's because Cayden gets a lot of flak both playful and not that it tricks me into thinking I'm posting badly

Akio said:
I always end up considering a lot of my posts bad or below average, I don't know. Maybe it's because Cayden gets a lot of flak both playful and not that it tricks me into thinking I'm posting badly
I think the reason Cayden gets flak isn't because your posts. Your posts are good. It is just that, and this is 100% my opinion, I don't particularly like Cayden. He's a very interesting character and I cannot wait to see what you do with him. However, I don't think he is likable. But, that is in no way a slight against you man. I just don't like Cayden. However, he is written well and as I said- it'll be so fun to see how he develops later on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back