• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

WanderingJester said:
  1. The Rock
  2. Castamere
  3. Oldtown
  4. King's Landing (very close to Oldtown)
  5. The Crossing
  6. Highgarden
  7. Sunspear
  8. Gulltown
  9. White Harbor
  10. Riverrun

I disagree that Hightower is even remotely similar in increase to House Lannister in this RP. The Gold Lions' wealth nearly doubled with the acquisition of Castamere after the War of the Lions, whereas Hightower simply increased their trading by significant measures.
Hightowers wealth is from trading, and they have managed to double the wealth of their house as well. Lord Jeremy Hightower one of Gawains ancestors was also famous for achieving this.

1: Casterly Rock

2: Oldtown

3: Lannisport

4: King's Landing

5: Gulltown

6: The Crossing

7: White Harbour

8: Highgarden

9: Sunspear

10: Driftmark

Lancelot said:
Hightowers wealth is from trading, and they have managed to double the wealth of their house as well. Lord Jeremy Hightower one of Gawains ancestors was also famous for achieving this.
That's kind of ridiculous that they managed to double their wealth by only trading. I mean at this point it's accepted so I doubt people would retconn it, but to me, that's at most a 50% increase of income, unless someone specifically established like a streamline trade with Yi Ti or something.

WanderingJester said:
That's kind of ridiculous that they managed to double their wealth by only trading. I mean at this point it's accepted so I doubt people would retconn it, but to me, that's at most a 50% increase of income, unless someone specifically established like a streamline trade with Yi Ti or something.
If I knew means that he could have also used I would have.

Believe it or not I don't actually know what I am talking about when it gets down to it so I am basically just shitting out my mouth hoping it makes sense.

Lancelot said:
Jeremy Hightower doubled the houses wealth hundreds of years ago, the same could not be done again in the present age. You can't just double wealth generated from trade, even if you tried really hard, you can't just ask more people to come to your town and even if you did something like lower tariffs it's unlikely that double the people would come to an already busy port.

It's ridiculous that Casterly Rock has any gold left in it after mining in The Rock for at least two thousand years, and if legends are correct, up to eight thousand.

There's more gold in that one place than all the gold on Earth.

TheAncientCenturion said:
It's ridiculous that Casterly Rock has any gold left in it after mining in The Rock for at least two thousand years, and if legends are correct, up to eight thousand.
There's more gold in that one place than all the gold on Earth.
Yet the drying of the Gold mines was never mentioned once in the books.

Surely George would have had it included somewhere - anywhere - if that were so.

WanderingJester said:
Haelga

Hypnos said:
Jeremy Hightower doubled the houses wealth hundreds of years ago, the same could not be done again in the present age. You can't just double wealth generated from trade, even if you tried really hard, you can't just ask more people to come to your town and even if you did something like lower tariffs it's unlikely that double the people would come to an already busy port.
Lets just say he is in some low key blackmarket deals?

Archon said:
Yet the drying of the Gold mines was never mentioned once in the books.
Surely George would have had it included somewhere - anywhere - if that were so.
THe goldmines drying up was a show only invention to add the whole "Lannisters are fucked" outlook.

Lancelot said:
If I knew means that he could have also used I would have.
Believe it or not I don't actually know what I am talking about when it gets down to it so I am basically just shitting out my mouth hoping it makes sense.
Yeah, likely not possible on that scale. A massive 100% plus increase to any faction's GDP or just general income would require a massive dynamic shift in regards to their original income worth. The Lannisters get their wealth by mining for valuable minerals, so getting another material rich mining network that used to rival their own would be enough. Unless Oldtown's main competitor, which I'm actually not sure they have one, fell off the face of Planetos or got acquired by them or Oldtown somehow attained an advantage over them so much in trading that the competition is irrelevant at this point, they likely would've only gotten a fractional increased in their income, rather than an 80%-120% increased to it.

SirDerpingtonIV said:
That's different. Haelga pretty much found a freeway equivalent between Yi Ti and the West Coast of Westeros. A distinct advantage not shared by anyone else in the world.

Hypnos said:
Thank you.

Lancelot said:
Lets just say he is in some low key blackmarket deals?
Black market deals that can match the wealth of the second largest city in the continent? Sign me up for those deals because that's a shit ton of money.

THe goldmines drying up was a show only invention to add the whole "Lannisters are fucked" outlook.
That's my point.

In this roleplay - and the books - Casterly Rock's gold mining operations are still going strong, no matter how logic-defying it is.

I mean, a near endless gold mine doesn't seem so unreasonable when half the castles in George's world defy logic in some way or other.

WanderingJester said:
Yeah, likely not possible on that scale. A massive 100% plus increase to any faction's GDP or just general income would require a massive dynamic shift in regards to their original income worth. The Lannisters get their wealth by mining for valuable minerals, so getting another material rich mining network that used to rival their own would be enough. Unless Oldtown's main competitor, which I'm actually not sure they have one, fell off the face of Planetos or got acquired by them or Oldtown somehow attained an advantage over them so much in trading that the competition is irrelevant at this point, they likely would've only gotten a fractional increased in their income, rather than an 80%-120% increased to it.
That's different. Haelga pretty much found a freeway equivalent between Yi Ti and the West Coast of Westeros. A distinct advantage not shared by anyone else in the world.

Thank you.
Well correct me if I am wrong but the Lannisters had Castemere anyway before they gifted it to House Spicer during the Red Wedding?

Hypnos said:
Black market deals that can match the wealth of the second largest city in the continent? Sign me up for those deals because that's a shit ton of money.
Only for Oldtown :^)

(Seriously though may have to edit some things in my CS considering.)

Archon said:
That's my point.
In this roleplay - and the books - Casterly Rock's gold mining operations are still going strong, no matter how logic-defying it is.

I mean, a near endless gold mine doesn't seem so unreasonable when half the castles in George's world defy logic in some way or other.
Just a suggestion, if this is the argument for the Gold Mines then...

Can we ignore the trade problem?

sneaky

Lancelot said:
Well correct me if I am wrong but the Lannisters had Castemere anyway before they gifted it to House Spicer during the Red Wedding?
Tywin Lannister flooded the mines of Castamere and made them unusable when he drowned the entirety of House Reyne. Tiber did no such thing and the mines are still fully functioning.

Archon said:
That's my point.

I was just bringing up this point to push off other claims of people getting wealthy in ways we see as illogical. Shit doesn't always make sense in ASOIAF.

I was just bringing up this point to push off other claims of people getting wealthy in ways we see as illogical. Shit doesn't always make sense in ASOIAF.
Don't make me play the.

"But there are ice zombies and Dragons :--------DDDDDD"

Lancelot said:
Hypnos said:
Tywin Lannister flooded the mines of Castamere and made them unusable when he drowned the entirety of House Reyne. Tiber did no such thing and the mines are still fully functioning.
Hypnos covered it.

Lancelot said:
Only for Oldtown :^)
(Seriously though may have to edit some things in my CS considering.)
Then any other ports can do the same thing and siphon off of Oldtown's potential earnings.

The problem with allowing such an enormous wealth boost to an already enormously wealthy city is that the faction could then be a liiiitttllle bit op.

To be honest, I would also accuse Castamere's total survival as the same thing; but if the Lannisters and Hightowers - already two of the wealthiest houses going - can DOUBLE their wealth, it just leaves the lesser Houses, or midway Houses in the dust; I know I want the Crossing to receive a buff if we're doing things this way... :/

Lancelot said:
Just a suggestion, if this is the argument for the Gold Mines then...
Can we ignore the trade problem?

sneaky
Nope, one of these things is established as canon within the books and the other is impossible. It would be unfair to just allow people to write stuff like this into their back stories and have it be canon within the Roleplay. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I wrote "Through great military planning Lord Baelor was able to double the size of the Royal fleet" and just have three four hundred ships to use as I saw fit.

Lancelot said:
Don't make me play the.
"But there are ice zombies and Dragons :--------DDDDDD"
We're talking about economics, shush!

. . .Do you know what would be interesting? If Tiber began just. .Not dealing in gold anymore? He buys up large amounts of silver in Essos, and I mean crazy amounts. keeps all the Gold Dragons he's given. And let's the quantity of gold skyrocket, and thus the price of gold? And soon the crown needs to borrow the gold, which is worth a crazy amount, to make the gold dragons. They'd be in debt just borrowing materials needed for an economy!

Archon said:
The problem with allowing such an enormous wealth boost to an already enormously wealthy city is that the faction could then be a liiiitttllle bit op.
To be honest, I would also accuse Castamere's total survival as the same thing; but if the Lannisters and Hightowers - already two of the wealthiest houses going - can DOUBLE their wealth, it just leaves the lesser Houses, or midway Houses in the dust; I know I want the Crossing to receive a buff if we're doing things this way... :/
I hear they're marrying some Stark Bitch soon.

Hypnos said:
Nope, one of these things is established as canon within the books and the other is impossible. It would be unfair to just allow people to write stuff like this into their back stories and have it be canon within the Roleplay. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if I wrote "Through great military planning Lord Baelor was able to double the size of the Royal fleet" and just have three four hundred ships to use as I saw fit.
To be fair they still wouldn't be as rich as the Lannisters? Especially with what Tiber is doing.

So I see the argument of Hightowers being rich as unfair than why would Lannisters being rich not be unfair if you get me?

As far as we know they are already similar wealths in book canon.

Also the wealth thing has been in there since the beginning, so you guys must have looked over it. And I am open to change it if you wish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back