• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

Leusis said:
You know I don't intend to actually attack the Tully's right?
Remember what I said about hypotheticals lol. Still the single most protected person when this wedding finally ends will probably be Cayden when his Red Spear catch up to him with Aerea, that's 200 fighters unless they take some losses one the way. Though right now he's probably the least protected (noble) till the Martells talk to him

Akio said:
No chance against double numbers + even with those two high level fighters without something done clever
Battles have been won with worse odds plus if worst comes to worst

she can always just teleport in the Knights of the Vale

Hypnos said:
Battles have been won with worse odds plus if worst comes to worst

she can always just teleport in the Knights of the Vale

Usually those battles have some kind of terrain advantage or troop quality disparity or as I said something really clever done.

though their is indeed always the vale

Akio said:
Usually those battles have some kind of terrain advantage or troop quality disparity or as I said something really clever done.
though their is indeed always the vale

Jon's forces were disadvantaged in literally every way

Lancelot said:
Jon's forces were disadvantaged in literally every way
They were royally fucked too, almost trampled John to death on too of that.

Lancelot said:
Also totally going to try and use that badass phalanx with the Bolton's in this rp.

Only would work with ones back against the wall and the Wildlings were undisplinned. That would have been very difficult to do usually and is very situational

Last edited by a moderator:
Akio said:
They were royally fucked too, almost trampled John to death on too of that.

Only would work with ones back against the wall and the Wildlings were undisplinned. That would have been very difficult to do usually and is very situational

Is that why it was the main formation used in Greek warfare and fucked basically everyone?

[QUOTE="LancelI'm talking about thepost: 6157110]
Is that why it was the main formation used in Greek warfare and fucked basically everyone?

I'm talking about the Bolton way with the surround. A phalanx was usually just done in a line formation with the flanks protected by skirmishers.

[/QUOTE]

Akio said:
I'm talking about the Bolton way with the surround. A phalanx was usually just done in a line formation with the flanks protected by skirmishers.[/spOILER]
I was meaning the phalanx In general, the version in the battle was an improvised one yet still very effective.

Lancelot said:
I was meaning the phalanx In general, the version in the battle was an improvised one yet still very effective.
the phalanx is pretty effective as long as it doesn't get flanked. A high mount archers and other skirmishers can also hurt a phalanx badly almost undamaged if they avoid melee combat

Lancelot said:
Akio said:
the phalanx is pretty effective as long as it doesn't get flanked. A high mount archers and other skirmishers can also hurt a phalanx badly almost undamaged if they avoid melee combat
What the boltons used were pretty much just over sized pavise shields. Pavise shields are generally about 5 feet tall and were as wide as a man and weighed around 10lbs, still easily within the realm of possibility to carry with one arm and used either by sticking it into the ground to protect crossbowmen while they were reloading or in combination with spears to form a very sturdy spear wall. What the Boltons used was something much taller, seemingly a little over six feet tall and likely weighing somewhere around 20 or 30 pounds as if you payed attention the troops using them didn't have weapons, they needed to use both arms to effectively move with the shield while men behiind them were using pikes.

I had planned for Roland's 400 veteran men-at-arms he brought to use pavise shields along with spears to create a very strong infantry core during smaller engagements in the Reach so that my 80 knights could flank and charge the enemy lines rear. But now that it seems the Boltons have turned the idea into a feeding frenzy I'm just going to back off of the idea as I'd rather not do something that was recently seen in the show and wants to be done by other people because I thought I was being original and true to medieval warfare.

Leusis said:
What the boltons used were pretty much just over sized pavise shields. Pavise shields are generally about 5 feet tall and were as wide as a man and weighed around 10lbs, still easily within the realm of possibility to carry with one arm and used either by sticking it into the ground to protect crossbowmen while they were reloading or in combination with spears to form a very sturdy spear wall. What the Boltons used was something much taller, seemingly a little over six feet tall and likely weighing somewhere around 20 or 30 pounds as if you payed attention the troops using them didn't have weapons, they needed to use both arms to effectively move with the shield while men behiind them were using pikes.
I had planned for Roland's 400 veteran men-at-arms he brought to use pavise shields along with spears to create a very strong infantry core during smaller engagements in the Reach so that my 80 knights could flank and charge the enemy lines rear. But now that it seems the Boltons have turned the idea into a feeding frenzy I'm just going to back off of the idea as I'd rather not do something that was recently seen in the show and wants to be done by other people because I thought I was being original and true to medieval warfare.
You can still use it, I just thought it was really cool and was wondering if they normally did that or if it was Ramsay's ingenuity.

Lancelot said:
You can still use it, I just thought it was really cool and was wondering if they normally did that or if it was Ramsay's ingenuity.
I know I can still use it, just as much as you can, its not like it was some super secret strategy that got taken from me, it was a common strategy in medieval battle and anybody can do it. I just felt like the show can I've stole the coolness from what I was going to do lol

@WanderingJester

Definitely using the whole "She has extreme intelligence" thing from her CS more often than the "She has no remorse and is crazy as fuck" side of her CS right now since she hasn't been really insulted yet.

Leusis said:
@WanderingJester
Definitely using the whole "She has extreme intelligence" thing from her CS more often than the "She has no remorse and is crazy as fuck" side of her CS right now since she hasn't been really insulted yet.
Well it's not a good idea to insult a Lannister ever.

Akio said:
Well it's not a good idea to insult a Lannister ever.
If she wasn't in his home and he didn't have Martyn glued to his hip she'd spit in his face and have him skinned if he insulted her.....

Leusis said:
If she wasn't in his home and he didn't have Martyn glued to his hip she'd spit in his face and have him skinned if he insulted her.....
lol great way to make allies. Etheir way I'm fairly certain after all this preparation Tiber hopefully won't break off the war, we need some action.

Akio said:
lol great way to make allies. Etheir way I'm fairly certain after all this preparation Tiber hopefully won't break off the war, we need some action.
I personally enjoyed the Lannister justification for the war with the Reach.

"They remained neutral like we did so we plan to compleley subjicate them your grace.". Tiber is funny man (^U^)

Akio said:
If hes smart he'll just ask to be able to take part of the Reach after the war is over, after all, he said civil war would happen and the Reach would be much weaker than they are now. Wouldn't he want to fight the Reach while they're really weak?

Leusis said:
If hes smart he'll just ask to be able to take part of the Reach after the war is over, after all, he said civil war would happen and the Reach would be much weaker than they are now. Wouldn't he want to fight the Reach while they're really weak?
Tiber has a reason to go to war he hasn't shared, somehow I really doubt it's what he told Kuriva in loyalty to the crown. Besides no one knows Viserys is in the Reach quite yet so civil war isn't a sure thing and giving them time to mobilize only makes the odds heavier.

Meanwhile Torvin is sitting in a tiny camp watching a ranging party of crows walk around a half burnt down free folk village. I would like to see him in a political setting, I feel like it'd be similar to when Tyrion was explaining loans to Bronn, but instead of loans it'd be murder.

Akio said:
Tiber has a reason to go to war he hasn't shared, somehow I really doubt it's what he told Kuriva in loyalty to the crown. Besides no one knows Viserys is in the Reach quite yet so civil war isn't a sure thing and giving them time to mobilize only makes the odds heavier.
Even if he goes now Sigfried is just going to screw him over the moment he marches out of the Westerlands and there is a good chance that quite a lot of Reach houses join Kuvira. I mean the mad king from the books had tons of supporters from the Reach/Dorne and he was an absolutely terrible king that everybody hated. Kuvira isn't her father, so by that fact alone she likely has a lot more houses loyal to her in any of the regions really. I wouldn't doubt the only reason some of the houses in the Riverlands and Stormlands are only joining the war against her because their liege is telling them to and they're afraid if they don't they'll get wiped out.

Leusis said:
Even if he goes now Sigfried is just going to screw him over the moment he marches out of the Westerlands and there is a good chance that quite a lot of Reach houses join Kuvira. I mean the mad king from the books had tons of supporters from the Reach/Dorne and he was an absolutely terrible king that everybody hated. Kuvira isn't her father, so by that fact alone she likely has a lot more houses loyal to her in any of the regions really. I wouldn't doubt the only reason some of the houses in the Riverlands and Stormlands are only joining the war against her because their liege is telling them to and they're afraid if they don't they'll get wiped out.
Dornes loyalty was at least in part due to Elia being married in kingslanding and having one of their princes on the Kingsguard, both lacking in this setting but I know one of the Major Tyrell lords support the Queen which why when Arren announces loyalty to the black dragon it will create quite a stir

@Leusis I know that you're easily more busy with all the more important politics right now, but what's happening with Crowl right now? Are you waiting on someone else to progress that storyline before it continues? Just wondering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back