• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

Akio said:
Depends how clever he is, that close in you'd only have time for one blow and if he manages to get away with it he'd probably be fine. You don't become as good as he is with a spear without knowing how to deal with the really fast guys who get in your range.
Precisely why I said faster and more skilled. Dealing with speed is difficult, dealing with speed combined with flawless technique is something Cayden hasn't ever faced before. If he had, he'd be dead.

Archon said:
Precisely why I said faster and more skilled. Dealing with speed is difficult, dealing with speed combined with flawless technique is something Cayden hasn't ever faced before. If he had, he'd be dead.
Eh he's almost died a dew times. After all he spent time in Braavos which meant he met water dancers which was not fun on more then one occasion. He has some ideas however, mainly because not all of them were trying to kill him.

Akio said:
Eh he's almost died a dew times. After all he spent time in Braavos which meant he met water dancers which was not fun on more then one occasion. He has some ideas however, mainly because not all of them were trying to kill him.
The thing is, you could probably survive a few hits off an average or novice water dancer. If a very fast and very skilled Arakh user/longsword user got in Cayden's reach that's all it would take. Water Dancer's operate on cuts, and weak points. A skilled one would just hit an artery, and Cayden may have had training to avoid it - but it's different in practice - and more importantly, Water Dacing isn't dueling with a longsword or arakh.

The reason I say arakh is because Cayden wears light armor, and they're much quicker than longswords.

Archon said:
The thing is, you could probably survive a few hits off an average or novice water dancer. If a very fast and very skilled Arakh user/longsword user got in Cayden's reach that's all it would take. Water Dancer's operate on cuts, and weak points. A skilled one would just hit an artery, and Cayden may have had training to avoid it - but it's different in practice - and more importantly, Water Dacing isn't dueling with a longsword or arakh.
The reason I say arakh is because Cayden wears light armor, and they're much quicker than longswords.
We'll really have to see, talking about all this stuff is useless till actual battle lol

Obviously in RP battle, logic gets defied, and Cayden will somehow be faster enough to use his spear to block/escape Roland at close range. Which isn't bad at all, we'd all do it. Nobody wants to lose a fight in a few seconds lol.

Archon said:
Obviously in RP battle, logic gets defied, and Cayden will somehow be faster enough to use his spear to block/escape Roland at close range. Which isn't bad at all, we'd all do it. Nobody wants to lose a fight in a few seconds lol.
I like to be as realistic as possible, I 99% of the time wont say im fast enough or strong enough to do something but explain how i did it so i make logical sense

I do the same, doesn't mean logic doesn't get defied.

I might describe how my character saw the attack coming and slid back just enough to give him enough room to parry whilst still taking a nasty cut across the chest. It doesn't change the fact that had it been a real life situation my character probably wouldn't have moved quick enough and proceeded to get skewered through the heart.

Archon said:
I do the same, doesn't mean logic doesn't get defied.
I might describe how my character saw the attack coming and slid back just enough to give him enough room to parry whilst still taking a nasty cut across the chest. It doesn't change the fact that had it been a real life situation my character probably wouldn't have moved quick enough and proceeded to get skewered through the heart.
lol talk about seeing the cup as half empty, maybe he would have been fast enough to dodge.

Akio said:
lol talk about seeing the cup as half empty, maybe he would have been fast enough to dodge.
Not if the guy he was fighting was faster, and more skilled...

Which was my point all along.

Archon said:
Not if the guy he was fighting was faster, and more skilled...
Which was my point all along.
Caydens probably as fast as Rolands, Caydens weaknesses in combat is not his speed or skill but his choice of weapons and his stamina

Akio said:
Caydens probably as fast as Rolands, Caydens weaknesses in combat is not his speed or skill but his choice of weapons and his stamina
Roland's probably slower than Cayden. But Roland's moving forward, Cayden's moving backwards (to dodge), not to mention Cayden doesn't have the benefit of prediction when Roland is literally the one of the most skilled swordsmen in Westeros.

Do you think Oberyn could dodge 2-handed Jaime Lannister if Jaime was no more than a foot away? Do tou think Oberyn could use the shaft of his spear, or block before Jaime's used his quicker weapon with more skill to finish the fight? :P

I'm just saying if we put Roland and Cayden in the most realistic position possible for two fictional characters, the fight would end there. In the RP, obviously Cayden will survive that situation a few times and in the roleplay it will still be fair and realistic.

But "as realistic as possible" no spearman, regardless of personal agility, speed, and skill will survive that situation against Jaime/Roland/Barristan/Arthur etc...

Archon said:
Roland's probably slower than Cayden. But Roland's moving forward, Cayden's moving backwards (to dodge), not to mention Cayden doesn't have the benefit of prediction when Roland is literally the one of the most skilled swordsmen in Westeros.
Do you think Oberyn could dodge 2-handed Jaime Lannister if Jaime was no more than a foot away? Do tou think Oberyn could use the shaft of his spear, or block before Jaime's used his quicker weapon with more skill to finish the fight? :P

I'm just saying if we put Roland and Cayden in the most realistic position possible for two fictional characters, the fight would end there. In the RP, obviously Cayden will survive that situation a few times and in the roleplay it will still be fair and realistic.

But "as realistic as possible" no spearman, regardless of personal agility, speed, and skill will survive that situation against Jaime/Roland/Barristan/Arthur etc...
If he caught a foot away he probably would drop his spear, he wouldn't try to use it its pointless and would indeed get him killed

Last edited by a moderator:
Akio said:
If he caught a foot away he probably would drop his spear, he wouldn't try to use it its pointless and would indeed get im killed
That's about the distance Roland would be IF he got "inside" Cayden's reach. That was my point, I don't know how dropping the spear would work, 50/50 that Cayden get's skewered/wacked immediately, or leaps fast enough to go fisticuffs.

Wonder who'd win in a fiist fight between the two.

Archon said:
That's about the distance Roland would be IF he got "inside" Cayden's reach. That was my point, I don't know how dropping the spear would work, 50/50 that Cayden get's skewered/wacked immediately, or leaps fast enough to go fisticuffs.
Wonder who'd win in a fiist fight between the two.
We debated that one actually, it ended with Cayden kicking him in the balls. And im not sure about fisticuffs, more likely to use one of his knives more likely.

It's still pretty unlikely that Cayden could kick before he's been stabbed. But at least a kick is far smarter than anything that could be done with the spear at that point.

Cayden pulling a knife in a fistfight? I can picture the amazing scene that would follow if the person was A) Dolar B) Martyn C) Rory/Desgran

Archon said:
It's still pretty unlikely that Cayden could kick before he's been stabbed. But at least a kick is far smarter than anything that could be done with the spear at that point.
Cayden pulling a knife in a fistfight? I can picture the amazing scene that would follow if the person was A) Dolar B) Martyn C) Rory/Desgran
Knife or no knife, this is what would happen to Cayden if he gets into a fistfight with Martyn. :P

giphy.gif

Archon said:
lol you reversed what i said, pull the knife while getting into the longswords range and kick him in the balls during the fist fight

WanderingJester said:
Knife or no knife, this is what would happen to Cayden if he gets into a fistfight with Martyn.
giphy.gif
RIP Sad thing Martyns a lot stronger then him so in a normal fist fight that might happen because Caydens not so fast he can out move Martyn even if hes faster and if it comes to a grapple he would just lose

Akio said:
RIP Sad thing Martyns a lot stronger then him so in a normal fist fight that might happen because Caydens not so fast he can out move Martyn even if hes faster and if it comes to a grapple he would just lose
A good test to see if anyone can move faster and with more precision than Martyn: If your character can outstep and outmove Jaime Lannister, then he'll be faster than Martyn. They have the same speed, agility and precision as one another.

WanderingJester said:
Knife or no knife, this is what would happen to Cayden if he gets into a fistfight with Martyn.
giphy.gif
I approve!

Akio said:
lol you reversed what happen, pull the knife while getting into the longswords range and kick him in the balls during the fist fight
... Throwing the spear and pulling the knife would take even longer than just trying to bash with the spear. Cayden gets skewered. A kick to the nuts can't be parried, and has more range; provided the hastily thrown spear offers enough pause, Cayden could land the kick due to unpredictability. If he pulls a knife and tries rushing Roland he'll just get gutted. xD

Akio said:
A single punch off any of those characters would knock Cayden out cold. If it came to grappling, they'd ragdoll him around like a feather haha.

WanderingJester said:
A good test to see if anyone can move faster and with more precision than Martyn: If your character can outstep and outmove Jaime Lannister, then he'll be faster than Martyn. They have the same speed, agility and precision as one another.
Wah? Martyn has the speed and footwork of Jaime and the strength of Sandor?

He's probably the best in Westeros with that combo.

Archon said:
Wah? Martyn has the speed and footwork of Jaime and the strength of Sandor?
He's probably the best in Westeros with that combo.
Yes, that's probably why he's such a good fighter at a relatively really young age and can hang with some of the best. Fun fact though: he's actually slightly stronger than Sandor. I used this example to illustrate how much: if he and the Hound both went into a modern gym and worked out together, Martyn would curl/bench/lift/squat around 5-10 lbs heavier than Sandor.

W

WanderingJester said:
Yes, that's probably why he's such a good fighter at a relatively really young age and can hang with some of the best. Fun fact though: he's actually slightly stronger than Sandor. I used this example to illustrate how much: if he and the Hound both went into a modern gym and worked out together, Martyn would curl/bench/lift/squat around 5-10 lbs heavier than Sandor.
Wasn't it 10-15lbs?

The Hound must be working out, he's catching up!

From what I remember being told by @WanderingJester Martyn is very slightly stronger than Sandor and his agility and such is on par with Jaime. Thus why when we were discussing exactly how skilled Roland is with his swordplay we figured out Roland would need ridiculous skill to deal with that kind of physical specimen, as well as the fact Martyn is very skilled as well.

Archon said:
I approve!
... Throwing the spear and pulling the knife would take even longer than just trying to bash with the spear. Cayden gets skewered. A kick to the nuts can't be parried, and has more range; provided the hastily thrown spear offers enough pause, Cayden could land the kick due to unpredictability. If he pulls a knife and tries rushing Roland he'll just get gutted. xD

A single punch off any of those characters would knock Cayden out cold. If it came to grappling, they'd ragdoll him around like a feather haha.
he wouldn't really throw it, i think hes just drop it and kick it into his leg while trying to pull a Drogo level dodge to get close and see what happens, he can't win a fist fist fight if it came to that so he would need to get a knife past him if he got that close, a punch would do nothing to an armored guy not a kick to the balls, or at least not as much

WanderingJester said:
Hmm hard to say, hes spent his time all his time basically on speed to make up his lack of stamina to end a fight as possible. He combined Dornes lightly armored style, with water dancer foot work and precision, and Khal Drogo speed. He might very well be faster because unlike Martyn most of his training were speed and precision considering he had to train with a spear to get past full plate to so as far as precision there are not many who are equal (Roland is likely one in at least precision due to his skill) Only problem is after keeping up this speed to long he'll start slowing down though its not to fast as far as teh decline

Users who are viewing this thread

Back