• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

We were doomed from the Start.(CLOSED)

"Thank you". I take the pills swiftly. Even the look over didn't hurt as much anymore. Which was good.

"I don't know much about card games" I admit "but I guess you could teach me some."

I sit back up and I reach over to grab my shirt and pull it back over my head again carefully, sitting back in my bed again, making the sheets cover my legs. Like a child waiting to hear a bed time story.

I smile, watching him dress so easily. He really moves smoother. I still want him to rest.

"Well then. What about I teach you to play a game, and you stay in bed meanwhile? Darius, thank you for doing the washing and dishes. Care to join?"

I stand up, and automatically cover Mitchell with a blanket. I am smiling.

A silent day sounds wonderful...

Darius rung out the last dish and stood up and sat on the end of my bed.

"Teach away ma'am" he said, with that ready-to-learn look he always did when he was excited about something.

My heart quivers slightly. It was a bit like being on holiday, right now. Or at least, being sick in the hospital but having actual visitors.

I collect my cards, smiling. I've brought these from Blood Springs, just like the chronicle. It was sold at the fairs. We are the figures on the cards, and I am kind of embarrassed and proud at the same time...

"We can play rummy, you see. The goal is put down all of your cards, starting from fifteen in your hand. You can do this by making groups consisting of at least three cards..." I start to explain enthusiastically. I ferl wonderful...

I listen intently... I look at Darius. His brow was furrowed and j begin to start giggling. I knew that look. This was going way over his head.

"You haven't got a clue what's going on do you, D" I said laughing openly now

"Shut up I'm trying, Russell" he said

"Is it a bit too complicated for your puny brain"

"Shut up, Auntie can he go and sit in the punishment corner. He's teasing me" Darius said. Like a four year old. He said it half jokingly. You could tell by the voice he was putting on.

I shake my head and laugh.

"Come on, boys, be good. No teasing. If you can keep being angels, I might consider making fruit pudding for dinner. Let's not disturb your father's sleep, anyway..."

I look over to my liege, and I smile, instinctively. He sleeps peacefully, and I'd swear the colour starts returning his cheeks...

"Let's start over again. So you can create groups from same numbers and figures, or..."

I nod. I'll behave again now. I just needed someTime to tease my brother.

And I would explain it to Darius later if he truly didn't get it.

I take some cards and move them following the Knights instructions so I can actually identify what's happening when.

"Okay, exactly like that! You can also build series from numbers and figures of the same colour. After the placed down card groups surpass three, you can take one or two, even if it was placed down by others, to build a group on your own. This is called robbing. You also have to draw three cards in each turn..."

I really enjoy explaining. The rain starts again outside, but here it is warm and quiet. Safe. Peaceful.

I smile happily.

So good...

"Wait what, explain again, please" Darius says, his pile of cards now in an unorganised mess. I swear I could see the steam coming from his ears and the monkeys inside his brain screaming.

"Darius can only just about cope with 'Snap!'" I say with a boyish grin.

Darius leant over and gave me a playful punch. But it was quite hard

"I'll have you know" I interjected "I was number one snap player in school"

I laugh heartily.

"Do you actually want me to explain it all over again?" I ask, amused, not really bothered. This is fun either way. "I can do it simpler. Or you can explain snap for me. Could we play that with three people? I'd rather not wake your dad yet. My liege can join if he wakes up by himself..."

Last edited by a moderator:
"snap is super simple" I say with a hearty chuckle. "You each have an even amount of cards. And everybody puts down a card. Every time there is the same number back to back, so I put down a three then D puts down a three straight after, you put your hand in the middle and say snap! The first person to do that wins the pile of cards. The winner is the person with all of the cards. Easy!"

"Oh, I see! This really sounds easy enough." I smile, nodding as they explain the rules. "Maybe we can play that for a while. I will try to keep up with you. Promise. And at the evening, we will make the pudding. As long as you won't leave the bed, Mitchell, and get rest, I'm willing to let you have fun, even participating in said fun."

I laugh. My heart feels lighter than any time in the last three years...

"Thank you, children. Thank you so much" I say, embracing them both...

Darius looked at me. I knew his look said

"I'm 30 years old." But I ignored it and embraced the knight quite hard.

"Okay let's play!" I said dealing the cards out evenly between the three of us.

"Who goes first?"

I pick up the cards, grinning. This feels exciting, even if not a real battle... brings up memories, and this time, they don't feel painful.

I love these kids, again....

"Well, age before beauty? I need some advantage, I play this the first time in my life!" I argue, shamelessly...

"Okay I'll go first" I say as I draw the first card, a seven of clubs "and then we'lol go clockwise, so Darius you're next. He draws his card, a two of diamonds.

"So no snaps yet, ma'am. It's your turn"

"Nope. Not yet. Auntie. Sorry it's going to take a while to get used to." I say as I draw another card. Ace of spades. Then Darius. Ace of clubs.

"So that is a snap" I say holding out my hand to stop any snaps "see. Two aces. Okay? We'll ignore that one, you put one down, Auntie."

"Don't worry" I laugh, nodding. seeing from the example, it really clicks in my head. "I think I'll slowly get the gist of it..."

I think I really do. But even then, I cannot compete with players this experienced. We draw and play, and despite losing hard, I feel happy ant contented....

I was holding all the cards but some had been placed down. The knight had just placed her last card.

"Okay. Keep your eyes peeled. The next double could be make or break. If I win it, I win the game. If one of you win it your still in the game but the other is out."

2 of spades...

3 of hearts

5 of clubs

5 of spades...

I look very closely and intently. I am almost willing to lose. Almost. I enjoy this game either way. But I don't want to give it up without a fight...

I grin, excitedly, noticing the opportunity.

"Snap!...."

"Ahhh damn, well played. So you take the cards now and me and you continue. Darius you're out!!!! I lay a card down" Queen of clubs...

I smile and giggle, happily like a child. I gather up the cards and organize them together so I can hold them.

I feel excited. This is good, even knowing that I will eventually lose.

I'll still fight valiantly!

I put down one.

Ace of diamonds....

I eye her up, I wasn't going to let her win easily.

It was a child's game but it felt like a tournament. Darius, although unimpressed that he lost, was sitting at the edge of his see in anticipation. Who knew snap was a spectator sport?

King of hearts...

Nie was awake since a few minutes. He didn't make a sound, though... he felt too lazy and weak to even move. He just watched his family as they played, and he was smiling. Ma Baker seemed so focused, and Mitchell's expression felt even funnier, being determined... Well, Darius seemed a bit sullen, but even like that he watched the game intently...

I put down the next card. Two of clubs. I wait, the excitement still humming in my mind as the card pile gets bigger...

We keep playing. No snaps. I run out of cards and the knight only has 5 cards left. I wait in anticipation. If there were no pairs, she'd win the game as she was the last to lose all her cards.... If there was a snap I'd have to be hot on my tail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back