• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic The Thing About Machines...

Felix Wrightwind

(This is an open Undertale Roleplay. Ask to join, and please provide your character's profile as I have provided mine if you have one. This is prefferably detailed, around two lines per reply at least.)

You see, the thing about machines is that... They can't exactly have a life for themselves, can they? No matter how hard people try to give them life, it's all emulated. None of it is real. And the weirdest part?.. We sometimes even come to grow used to them, acting as if they were just one of us to begin with...

It was... Naturally... Snowy in the town of Snowdin... You'd gotten used to it, though. No matter. None of the snow mattered. It didn't hinder progress for anything. Everyone seems just fine with it. Who cares? Oh well, time for breakfast... No milk? Off to the market then... To buy some more... You slowly trudge through the inches of deep sno- ouch! What was that?! You must have stubbed your toe on something hard! That hurt! Must be a rock... I'll teach that rock who not to mess with! You dig in the snow, hoping to find and throw the annoyance... But instead feel something made of metal... You pull... It's heavy!.. You finally get it up... A robot? With the Alphys Tech trademark on the back of its head? Way out here? You look here and there... Nobody... It seems the robot is dead... Maybe it's out of battery, possibly?.. You decide to take it back home and see what it's all about...

Hope wasn't too sure about this robot; he seemed to have a knack for really peeving them off, especially Alphys's creations. He met MTT once, and although they forgot they met Hope after he left, it didn't end well. He brought it back to his void, although boy was it heavy. Everyone in Snowdin stared at him, trying their hardest to remember who they reminded him of. They all forgot him when they looked away, though something would be bothering them all day long. Once he arrived at his void, he laid the robot on an unused surgical table, and started tinkering. He just... hoped it wouldn't explode. Alphys's earlier creations weren't top of the line, exactly.

(Hey, sorry, I had to get a new account. Long story.)

(I'm sorry I forgot to mention, but he's currently in his harmless form. Here's a picture of what it looks like:

View media item 6414

And the profile for him is here Fandom - Prototype Model N006 (Nix))

As the... Stranger... Was tinkering with his insides, he twitched oddly a couple of times, at one point, his elbow bending backwards, then back into place. Seems it only had enough power to twitch a bit... Yes, it would definitely need some more energy if it were to be doing anything other than this anytime soon. You notice after a second that there is still a miniscule amount of whatever was powering it left over... Maybe you could figure out what it's fueled by?..

[...?]

He saw the small energy core deep in the heart of the robot. It appeared to be powered by plasma, a resource with a short lifespan. It got even shorter when it all disappeared overnight. No one knew why.

Except for Hope, of course. He was the one who had took it all, in efforts of re-powering his technology. He eventually realized that plasma was not an efficient energy resource, and started powering his technology with Null. He made it up.

Luckily, that meant that he had tons of plasma sitting around, waiting to be used.

He carefully took the power source out, and replaced it with an old canister of plasma.

[...THERE.]

He placed all the wires back in what should've been their places. Now, to wait. Or, since it seemed the robot was relatively intact, just be very... very... cautious.

Last edited by a moderator:
The robot began to fidgit... Its eyes rolled to the back of it's head, and came back into place, slowly...

>Power Up in progress...

>Scanning vitals...

>Vitals intact.

The robot slowly began to raise off the ground... Then faceplanted back on the ground-

>Recalibrating...

>Environmental scan initiated...

>Plausable threat detected!

Its long tail suddenly whipped in the air, knocking the man (?) over!

>... Threat disarmed.

>No further problems detected. Resume nonviolent behavior.

"Umph!"

He wasn't expecting that. Was it a human-killing model? Even if it was, it shouldn't have hit him, he was quite clearly a... well, actually, now that he thought about it, he was kind of a mix between a skeleton and a ghost. That would explain the confusion.

He tapped the robot's shoulder, hoping it wouldn't knock him down again.

[uH... HELLO?]

This thing should understand sign language... right?

Slowly, steadily, its eyes began to glow. A vertical beam scanned the area in front of it. The beam stopped on the skeleton... Then it turned green. It stood up on its two feet, before starting to hover about an inch above the snow. It seemed to ice-skate on the air towards the being, slowing down in front of it, giving it a look of almost genuine animal-like curiosity. It slowly touched the ground again, sitting cross-legged in front of it, the look not changing.

[...NEAT. UH. HELLO, THERE? X-E-9? S-P-G?]

He was trying to execute some of his old command codes, trying to see exactly what this robot was supposed to be. Perhaps they wouldn't work, he was erased from most people's memories. But...were robots' "memories" the same thing as humans'?

These specific ones were Intention Codes, made to make robots state their intentions. Like you would expect. However. He wasn't sure if he programmed specifically for any robot to understand sign language or not, or even if it was one of his.

Probably not.

Didn't look like his handiwork, more like one of Alphys's. There might've still been hope, though.

[OR, UH... R-S-G? R-S-A?]

Those were Name Codes. You can guess what it was made for.

It tilted its head slowly, once from left to right. Then, both of its ears pointed straight up in the air. So did the tail! For a moment it seems like it is about to attack... But it slowly put them back down... Then a look of sudden realization flashed in its eyes.

>Name- Prototype Model No. N006- Alphys Tech Incorperated

>Creator's Note- "Warning: This robot is STRICTLY a prototype, and should therefore be treated as such. Under NO circumstances should it be used anywhere else from the lab."

>Current Objective...

>Searching...

>0 results found!

>Warning!

>Objective overwritten!

It's eyes crossed and its head began to twitch spastically again, as it fell backwards onto its back!

[OH, UH, WHOOPS! LET ME GET THAT... WHAT'S A GOOD OBJECTIVE??]

[... OH! YEHEH.]

>execute commandoverrideversion1

>>rewrite objective\written

>>answer user [redacted]'s questions

>>rewrite objective\written\stated

>>abc123doremi

>execute reboot

[uH... THAT SHOULD WORK. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.]

Suddenly, the displays for the eyes in the machine's face turned off... Then came back on once again, a blank stare set.

>Reboot in progress...

>Reboot compete!

>Reading new objective...

>Objective implemented!

>Resume "Energy Consumption"!

The eyes went this way and that, but then set back normally. It seemed to remember the man... Still sitting down, its head turned the other way. Then, slowly, it held up a finger, then pointed it at its mouth.

[...? UH... DO YOU NEED OIL, TIN MAN?]

[FORGIVE ME IF THAT CAME OFF AS RUDE, BUT I SINCERELY DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE ASKING, SORRY...]

He had a small idea what the robot was thinking of, but what would be the purpose of this robot if it was built without a speech inhibitor? Just one more question to add to the pile, he supposed.

[DO YOU, UH, NEED A SPEECH INHIBITOR? IF YOU DO, I KNOW SIGN LANGUAGE AND MORSE, IF YOU NEED TO COMMUNICATE.]

It shook its head, seeming to be a bit frustrated... A small section on its belly began to glow through the artificial "skin"- it was a screen... Built inside, showing through, as if using a projector inside... You read it... But it was nothing but the command prompts it had been showing before... However, you slowly notice that there happened to be non-commands in between the lines!

It read the following:

Who are you?

Can we play?

Wait, what are you doing?

Reboot complete, thanks!

Do you have more fuel by any chance?

I have no need to use sign language-

[OH, UH, SORRY! I HAVE A BUNCH OF FUEL IF YOU NEED IT, THOUGH. HERE.]

He happened to have had the plasma all in a large box in the closet, and he went to retrieve it immediately. It looked heavy.

[HERE YOU GO, UH, PLASMA, LOTS OF IT.]

[sO, UH... NOW THAT YOU HAVE THAT... S-P-G?]

He restated the Objective Command that he thought worked earlier. He was trying to see if the command he writ worked, even though it had stated that it worked earlier.

"Consume?

Animals consume energy

Program says act as animal

Consume it all?

I will!"

He took the canisters and seemed to drain them through his hands, each one, one at a time... Finally, after about twenty minutes, he was done, about half of all the cans drained. He looked like this now- (don't worry it isn't fetishy)

"That is how real animals eat, correct? Consume the energy you can, correct?

[uH, WELL, USUALLY WE JUST CONSUME THE ENERGY WE NEED, AND THEN STORE THE REST FOR LATER...]

[uNLESS, OF COURSE, YOU'RE GOING INTO HIBERNATION, IN WHICH CASE THE ENERGY YOU WOULD NEED IS QUITE A LOT, BUT...]

[iT SEEMS YOU'VE JUST WOKEN UP FROM HIBERATION!]

He was rapidly taking notes in a large notebook he seemed to produce out of nowhere. Although, the notes looked more like sketches. Although, the sketches looked more like full drawings.

"Oh... Well..."

"I don't have any need to 'hibernate'..."

It turned its head this way and that- the looked at the pen.

"What are you... Writing down?.."

[OH. UH, I LIKE TO...]

[THIS IS GOING TO SOUND ODD, BUT I PREFER TO MAKE PROFILES ON EVERYONE I MEET.]

[YOU SHOULD HAVE, UH, SOFTWARE TO DO THAT ANYWAY, BUT, I HAVE TO MANUALLY DO IT...]

He showed the robot the drawing of itself he had been working on. It was rather good, actually. Although it was just in a grey pencil, it resembled the robot perfectly. Well, excluding the stomach, he had been drawing its torso before it consumed the energy. It wasn't finished, however, just a sketch, and he hadn't done the tail yet.

"Oh."

"I think I can understand. To an extent."

"Well, at least, I am programmed to act as if I understand."

"Would you mind not drawing a soul with me? It would be incorrect. As I have no soul."

[!]

[OH, I'M SORRY. PARDON THE BLUNTNESS, BUT, WAS THAT, ER, WHY YOU WERE IN THE SNOW?]

[ALPHYS, SHE DOESN'T HAVE TOO MUCH OF A GOOD TRACK RECORD WHEN IT COMES TO CREATIONS, YOU UNDERSTAND...]

[AGAIN, EXCUSE ME, PLEASE.]

He was reminded of his own fragile soul when the robot said that, and fragile it was, it was better than no soul. His soul was cracked, half-black, half-white, and only held together by Null. He shuddered at the thought of it.

"Hmmm... Alphys... I remember when I was her only creation... Back before... Snooty Mettaton... With his fancy soul... And beautiful Undyne..."

"She quit refueling me. It was too expensive for her, as I was only a prototype... Why would she power a useless machine?.. I was over there because... I had escaped her lab... I wanted to find my own fuel before I died out... But I never did... And there... I was dying..."

[...AH. I SEE. I AM TRULY SORRY FOR YOU... TRUTH BE TOLD, ALPHYS SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN THE ROYAL SCIENTIST...]

[sHE WAS NEVER CUT OUT FOR IT, MORE OF A, UH, BLOGGER, IF THAT QUALIFIES AS A PROFESSION.]

He looked sad as he said this. He seemed to have some sort of experience with the Royal Scientists, and Alphys, but he wasn't in the Database, nor any form of Database at all.

Who is he?

"Sir... You act as if you know about her plenty... I was actually there to experience her becoming the Royal Scientist- the previous one had died... From what my memory can pull, he had a name... Gaster... I've tried asking Alphys before about his, but she always says she has no idea what a "Gaster" is, and figures the name sticking around in my 'mind' is due to a system error..."

[...NO, GASTER IS THE MAN WE ALL WISH TO BE BUT CANNOT.]

[ALTHOUGH, THAT DOESN'T EXPLAIN WHY ANY OTHER SYSTEM DOES NOT REMEMBER ME...]

He was apparently crossing out and rewriting actual notes, unlike the drawing he had completed a moment earlier.

"I don't know why I'd remember, either. Is it that machines have something about them that helps being unaffected by these situations. Who're you, anyways? Sorry if I seem out of the blue asking this, but I never did ask. And you knowing who I am, it just seems right for me to know who you are..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back