• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Tale of Two Survivors { The Last of Us 1x1 with icedthemoon }

Alexander Brennan and Kaleb Price
Former Seraphite, Former FEDRA officer | 19, 27 | Current location ;; Montana

Alex couldn't help but laugh as he wiped the tears that had spilled over off his face. He watched as Nate put away his supplies and sat so that their shoulders were touching. Alex smiled over at Nate, he was thankful that the man helped him. What he wasn't expecting was for Carlos to drape himself over Alex's lap, avoiding his leg. Alex couldn't help but laugh listening to him say that he was fine, a little sore but okay and that he didn't want to move from where he was. Alex blushed a little harder than he thought when he heard Carlos say the view was nice when he looked at Alex with that grin.

Kaleb rolled his eyes but chuckled at Carlos. Typical of him as he laid across their laps. "I hadn't seen any in that QZ. No one else dared to even try aside from you love" Kaleb told him with a laugh. "That's right, its because of Carlos that I'm happy and bright and not ever cranky" He added.

Nathaniel Matthews and Carlos Da Silva
Former Firefly, Aspiring Artist | 21, 25 | Current location ;; Montana

“That’s because no one else has the vision,” Carlos responded as he sat back up, sitting very close to Alex. He raised a hand and ran it down one of Alex’s arms. Beautifully muscular. Those were the arms of someone who had a very useful talent. Carlos aimed to figure out just what it was. Until then, he would consider being useful. He stood up and moved to Kaleb. “So, what’s the plan, boss man?”

Nate took Alex’s hand and cupped it with his other, holding it in his lap as they sat there. As long as Alex was okay, Nate was okay. He probably should have pushed for Carlos to let him see what was wrong, though he could understand what he meant about perhaps not being able to help. Though, he did have an idea. He pulled over his pack, and with one of the hands, rooted around until he found the medication. “Carlos.” When the man turned to look at him,” he tossed the bottle of pills. “Try that? Might help.” Carlos nodded his thanks and turns back to Kaleb. Nate turned his attention back to Alex, replacing the other hand back around Alex’s. “Are you really okay?” He asked, the concern outweighing his need to sound like the unbiased and not at all concerned medic.

Alex watched as Carlos sat up, sitting close to him. When Alex felt Carlos run a hand down one of his arms, he blushed and ducked his head. A shiver running down his spine. He watched Carlos get up and move over to Kaleb. Alex looked over at Nate when he cupped his hand and smiled. He watched Nate go through his pack and tossed some pills to Carlos, then those hands went back to Alex’s. He looked at Nate when he spoke and nodded. “I’m fine, promise. If we can stop running for a day or two that would be a bonus.” Alex told Nate. He tried to hold back the yawn, but it came out anyway.

Kaleb looked at Carlos as he sat up, running a hand down Alex’s arm before making his way over to Kaleb. The former officer watched as Nate tossed Carlos some medicine. Kaleb also saw the yawn from Alex. “I think we should hunker here for the night. We can put stuff against the door as a precaution but we should be fine here tonight. Get some rest and food.” Kaleb said.

Nate smiled at Alex’s yawn. It had no business being so cute, but since neither did just Alex being Alex, it was just as well. “Sleepy?” He asked with a wide grin, rubbing his thumb across the back of Alex’s hand that he held. “I think Kaleb is right. This is as good a time as any to get some rest.” He leaned over to the pack and pulled out his blanket before also pulling out Alex’s.

Carlos closed the door to their little room and gestured to the various things around. “Help me barricade, my sweet?” He asked as he began to move a desk over to the door. The heavy breathing and wheezing started pretty soon after. He would be fine for now. Maybe he’d even consider that medicine he got but not until after he moved everything. They needed to be safe before anything else.

Alex looked at Nate with a soft smile. "Yes. How ever could you tell?" He asked with a tired laugh. Alex blushed lightly as he felt Nate rub his thumb across the back of his hand. He'd never get tired of that, it was one of the many things that Nate did that Alex liked. "I think that's a perfect idea myself." Alex said as he watched Nate pull out their blankets. Alex looked up, hearing the heavy breathing and wheezing from Carlos and concern crossed his features. He wished the man had let Nate check him out.

Kaleb nodded, helping Carlos move the desk over to in front of the door. "Carlos, love, get the sleeping area set up. I'll finish this" Kaleb told him. He was concerned as well hearing the heavier breathing and that wheeze. Kaleb moved a few more pieces of furniture. Chairs, some small tables that were scattered around and he nodded. "That should do for one night. And in any case, it'll cause one heck of a racket if something tries to get in." Kaleb said with a nod of his head.

Nate smoothed out the first and hopped on top. “Carlos. You sure you’re good? I can take a look if you’d like.” But Carlos was doing as Kaleb asked, setting up their sleeping area close to where Nate set up theirs. Like he always did, he laid down and opened his arms as invitation. “Join me?” Because even with these extra people, he did not feel like becoming a separate entity in the night. They both slept better together. Plus, his now blanket was not nearly good enough for sleeping alone.

Carlos sighed but agreed that perhaps being the big strong man was not so much a thing he should be doing when his lungs had yet to calm down. He moved to set up their sleeping area right beside Nate and Alex’s, strength in numbers after all. “No, I’m fine. It’s a condition or something. I’ve had it my whole life.” He pulled out the medication Nate threw him. He didn’t know what any of those fancy words meant on the bottle. He lifted them up, shook them. “You think this will help?”

“Might could,” Nate answered. “Worth trying, I’d reckon.”

Carlos nodded and opened it up, looked at the pills and downed some. Worth trying. Then he looked up and called over, “The door looks sufficiently secured, beautiful. Come lay down and take some time off that always guarding nature of yours. That is no longer your job. We ditched that hell.”

Alex waited, watching as Carlos set up his and Kaleb's sleeping space close to Nate and Alex's. He smiled as Nate laid down, and opened his arms. Gladly Alex laid down beside him, his head resting on Nate's chest like always, arm over his stomach. This was what Alex missed. Sure it was nice to be carried by Carlos but this was better. Much better. "Of course." Alex said softly, a yawn escaping his mouth once more. He listened as Nate and Carlos talked, but he was struggling to remain awake, eyes closing slowly.

Kaleb looked over at Carlos, a soft smile on his face. He walked over and laid down beside Carlos with a sigh. "You know its not easy to do that. Even if I don't have to anymore" Kaleb said softly. He could feel the day's events making him yawn as well. He hoped that the medication worked for Carlos, he hated hearing him wheeze like that. He turned so he was facing Carlos, ready to curl into his side and go to sleep.

Nate wrapped his arms around Alex, one over his shoulder and across his back and the other that was under his head up so that his hand could play with his hair. This was becoming their nightly routine. Alex was going to fall asleep soon. He could tell by the dulling of his breath against his chest. He peered over at Carlos who laid down on the other side of Alex and right against Kaleb. They could be an Alex sandwich and Carlos sandwich. It made Nate laugh.

Carlos snuggled in with Kaleb but also laid probably too close to Alex for having only met earlier that day. “Good night all of my beautiful people. May tomorrow bring us closer to wherever our destinations may be.” And he closed his eyes too, falling asleep almost immediately.

Alex sighed happily, feeling Nate's fingers playing with his hair. Alex felt himself drifting into sleep, hearing Carlos' voice behind him. Alex had been hoping for a calm peaceful sleep. That was not at all what he got. Alex found himself in a the corridor of the building they'd been running through earlier. He was in Carlos' arms, and was being carried to the stairs like they had been. Nate leaving them to create a distraction, but instead of Nate appearing at the roof access, he never showed up. Alex was carried into the second building as the first one crumbled and crashed to the ground, gunshots firing in the air. "No! Nate! NO! nononono!" Alex jolted awake, not realizing that he'd started shouting out loud. Sweat covered his brow as he tried to calm himself down, hands clenched into Nate's jacket. He hadn't had a nightmare that vivid in a few days.

Kaleb smiled as he felt Carlos' snuggle into him. It had been a few hours since they'd managed to get some sleep when Kaleb's eyes opened instantly hearing Alex shouting. "Alex?!" He sat up, not knowing that Alex was prone to nightmares.

Nate took a while to fall asleep but eventually did in the comfort of so many people he could already call friends. It was so nice to be surrounded by so many people again. He had someone confident in leadership and safety, some fun and goofy, and someone sweet and who really made him feel necessary. It was like he was so used to. When he slept, he slept well. Too well. Because it took him too long to wake up, or at least that was what he assumed. By the time his mind was fully awake and aware, he only heard part of the words, and it took too long for him to process them. He sat up with a gasp, clutching Alex to him, hearing the concerned calls of Kaleb and now also feeling the bustle of Carlos moving as well.

“Alex, Alex, hey, Alex it’s okay, it’s okay.” He ran a hand through Alex’s hair, the other patting him as Nate gently rocked them after pulling him up as well. “I’m right here, I’m right here.”

Carlos shot up eventually as well, but the medicine made his groggy and tired. He was not stable enough to do much in this sleepy state, but he was aware that something was wrong. Everyone was yelling and something was wrong with Alex. He crawled to Nate’s side, a hand on Alex’s shoulder. “Alex, beautiful, are you okay?” It was a foolish question but he didn’t know what else to do.

Alex could feel the tears from the nightmare still on his face as he heard Nate gasp, and then he heard him talking. Alex took a few deep breaths as he felt Nate's hand in his hair as the man gently rocked them. He tucked his head into Nate's chest listening to him as he told him it was okay, all was okay. Nate was safe, he was here holding Alex close. He felt a hand on his shoulder and lifted his head turning to look at Carlos. He sniffed a little as the fear from the nightmare slowly faded away. "I.. I'm okay.. I'll be okay. I just need a minute" He said softly. He hated these stupid nightmares so much.

Kaleb couldn't do much, but he was very concerned for the other man. He watched as Carlos went over to Nate's side, setting a hand on Alex's shoulder. He sighed, realizing now that it was a nightmare. Many of his former friends at the QZ would have them, and he'd had a few himself. They were not fun.

It wasn’t until Alex started speaking that Nate’s own panic calmed. He kept his breathing low and voice calm, but inside he knew that if Alex didn’t come out of it soon, he would probably have a much harder time hiding this panic. But then he was okay. He pulled Alex into a tight hug, nestling his face inside Alex’s hair. He was silent for a while, Carlos having moved himself so close he might as well have been attached to them, a hand rubbing Alex’s back. His other hand reached out for Kaleb, fingers beckoning him to join them. He did not have to join the group hug, but being near could help. That’s what friends did. Families. Families after only a couple of hours, but that was how the apocalypse worked.

“Do you want to say it out loud?” Nate asked after a while. “You don’t have to. You can just let it go too. Whatever you need.”

Alex felt Nate pull him into a tight hug, and the man's face nestled into Alex's hair. Alex wrapped his arms around Nate, head on his chest. Nate was here, safe, alive. Alex felt Carlos getting closer, a hand rubbing Alex's back. He heard more shuffling which must be Kaleb moving closer. Kaleb had indeed moved closer, taking Carlos' hand and joined the group hug. All of them comforting Alex who felt like he was wrapped in a cocoon of warmth and love. Alex shifted his head so he could talk when Nate asked him if he wanted to talk about it. "I.. You didn't come back after you left to distract them. We had gotten to this b- building and then t- the one you were still i- in collapsed and g- gunfire was everywhere" Alex managed. It did feel better talking about it out loud.

Nate and Carlos listened, Nate holding him as close as he could, Carlos running his hand along Alex’s back and holding Kaleb in a hug around them. At his words, Nate’s heart sank. If he was in that position, trapped in the arms of someone else, hoping desperately that Alex would make it back just to watch everything fall apart and burn- to hear the sounds of so many shots. That would rip him apart. “I’m okay,” he whispered against him, trying not to cry himself. Not for his dream death but by the pain he knew Alex could feel. “I will always get back to you. Carlos moved himself so that the words could be more easily heard. “You don’t have to worry about people like him or the rest of us. We can’t die. Not him or me or Kaleb or you. You know why, Handsome? Because we are all so very pretty. We are too pretty for the world to let us die.”

Alex heard Nate whisper to him. He knew Nate was okay, but at the time it felt so real to Alex. He shifted himself so he could look at Carlos when he talked. A small smile crossed his face as he laughed a little. "We are? That's the key to survival? Just be too pretty so that we can't die?" He asked, his voice soft and quiet. Then Alex yawned, his eyes widening because he didn't want to fall asleep again. He was scared that the nightmare would come back if he did fall asleep. He knew Nate would always come back, and the hand running along his back was comforting. This was nice, having this comfort around him.

Nate couldn’t help but snort out a laugh. He may not have known Carlos for very long, but that did sound a whole lot like him. Carlos attempted a nod which was hard in their hug. “Oh yeah, that’s exactly how this works. the universe looks at us and goes ‘wait, no, we can’t let them die. We can’t even let them get too badly hurt. Maybe a little bear swipe, a little lung problem, a little trauma, but nothing too bad.’ Who else is the universe going to look at if they lose us?” Nate closed his eyes, intermingling their breath like he could transfer his life to Alex. He kissed the top of Alex’s head. Breathed. Sure. Too pretty to die. He’ll take that. “Do you want me to keep you up? I’ll stay up with you.”

Alex laughed a little more, listening to the man, shifting so he had more of his back to Nate, resting his head on his chest but able to see Carlos in this hug of theirs. "I guess that makes a lot of sense." He said, a smile on his face as he felt Nate kiss the top of his head. He was happy at the moment, the effects of the nightmare long gone. He turned himself to look at Nate. "I can't ask you to stay up for me. I'll be fine. I just need a moment to finish collecting my thoughts." Alex said, not wanting to hold back sleep from anyone else. He'd already woken them up once.

“You don’t have to ask. I’ve already decided. I sleep when you sleep.” Because that was how it worked. That was the whole point of sharing spaces. That was why they were living in the same room of their farmhouse they were going to find one day. He was going to be here to make the Alex’s sleep better. Carlos, who was slightly more lost in the situation but not enough to not be right there with them, let out a boisterous laugh. “Sleepover! I haven’t had one of those in forever! We can tell stories, have food, tell secrets.” He wiggled his eyebrows but then laughed some more. “And then if you fall asleep, party’s over.”

Alex sighed at that. He knew that would be the answer, it was just how things were now. His head tilted as he looked at Carlos when he spoke. And here was where Alex again, not having much of a childhood and not knowing as much, was ashamed that he didn't know what a sleepover was. He looked at Nate, then back at Carlos. "What exactly is a sleepover?" He asked, head tilted slightly in unsure curiosity. Wait, secrets? Alex didn't want to share secrets, not right now. He was very much lost at this moment.

“You don’t know what a sleepover is?” Carlos asked a little shocked. “You never snuck out of your room to hangout with someone else all night and shirked your responsibilities?” That was how he was as a kid. He couldn’t be held back by QZ rules. They were boring and stifling. He got into his fair share of teenage trouble.

Nate, still very much attached to his Alex, narrowed his eyes with a smile and readjusted so that he could see Carlos better. “I am alarmed that this is your definition of sleepover. No, they’re just people who don’t normally live together sleeping in the same room usually avoiding sleep by playing games or talking or something like that.” He shook his head at Carlos. “And they don’t share secrets. Unless you specifically have secrets to share.”

Alex looked at Carlos, shaking his head. "Um no? We never had sleepovers. No one was allowed over to anyone else's house during the night. It was considered wrong." Alex said. He looked at Nate who explained it a little better. "What kind of games do you play? What would you even talk about?" He asked. Alex felt really silly not knowing this stuff when clearly both Nate and Carlos knew a form of these sleepovers.

Kaleb had pulled away from the hug with a laugh, still sitting close, but sitting back with his legs crossed. Just where did Alex come from where they didn't know what sleepovers were.

Nate thought about it for a moment. “Depends on who’s having the sleepover. When I was little and my mama went off without me, which wasn’t very often, sometimes I stayed with some other people who had kids my age. We would talk about our favorite things to do, dreams, or whatever. Kinda like how you and I talk about the farmhouse and what we want to do after we find my people.” That was exactly what he might have done with others when he was younger. Talk about who they wanted to be.

“Ooh, so many games! Truth or dare is always fun-“
“No.” Nate interrupted. He had his fair share of his brothers with that.
“And charades. Where you try and act out words people have to guess. And hide and seek, though…” he looked around and shrugged. “Maybe not here. And a pillow fight- also hard. And that thing where you look for things that people are trying to get you to guess-“
Nate choked out a laugh and shook his head. “How about we not?”

Alex looked at Nate listening to him talking about what people talk about during sleepovers. “Well I’ve had talks like that during the day with Yara and Lev. But we couldn’t do it at night. Though we’d sneak out sometimes just for fun at night but I didn’t know that’s what a sleepover was.” He said, then his attention went to Carlos who’d started talking about games. Alex shifted, looking at him intently. “What’s truth or dare? That sounds fun.” Alex asked even though he heard Nate say ‘No!’ Which caused Alex to look at him with a sad face, before looking back at Carlos. All those games sounded fun to Alex.

Kaleb laughed, watching the interaction between the three. It was interesting to him just how much Alex didn’t know.

Nate sighed since clearly Carlos was winning the more fun of the people hanging out at their impromptu sleepover. “I think a lot of people would have those talks at night because that was when they could be away from their parents and guardians. They can be themselves without worrying about being whoever they were supposed to be.”

“Like the boring that is all of FEDRA,” Carlos added. Nate nodded absolutely agreeing. Though he would call them more than boring, that was good enough for him for now. Carlos, however, decided that he should keep going with the questions. “Truth or dare is the best game. One person asks another person if they would rather a truth question that they have to answer no matter what or a dare that they have to do no matter what. And then you keep playing until everyone chickens out and someone is the winner.”

Nate shook his head. “And we don’t have to do that, because that is something you only play when you are feeling extremely comfortable and are prepared to do or say anything.”
Carlos shrugged. “You sound like you’re a spoiled sport.”
Nate shrugged as well. “Would you believe I have been known as the life of the party?”
Carlos grinned. “So this is all an act. I dig it.”

Alex was not only wide awake now, but very interested in these games. Especially truth or dare. It was so new and he wanted to try it. It was interesting watching Carlos explain it. Nate didn’t seem interested in it though. Alex might regret this but he was way too intrigued to care. “Can we do truth or dare?” Alex asked Carlos, since Nate seemed against it. He thought he might have a better response from the one who suggested it.

Kaleb looked at Carlos with a small laugh. “Oh come now love. Are you calling me boring too?” He asked Carlos. “Because I’d like to think I’m not like the rest of them.” Kaleb added. He didn’t know that Nate was a former Firefly or he might’ve watched what he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back