Other Roleplay Pet peeves

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but I get pretty peeved about RP's that expect you to make a character sheet even when there's no guarantee you'll be selected to participate. Sorry, but no. If you only want a limited number of people and want whoever fits the roles best, fine. However, don't expect me to make an entire sheet, only to get rejected. A simple character pitch should be good enough for you to determine whether someone is the best fit. Character sheets are already practically a chore so I don't want to do one for a character I may not even be writing.

Well I think I often have the entirely opposite of sheets Jannah Jannah does I gotta at least agree with the sentiment that I really hate having my time and effort wasted through submitting a character sheet with the prospect of just having to trash it on the horizon, let alone it actually happening.

The one that's bugging me right now is when people just... ignore the setting we've decided on and the worldbuilding we've done when they reply. In one roleplay I'm doing, we specifically decided on a fantasy setting. It was made clear, we mentioned the details of said fantasy setting a couple times, my rp partner seemed to understand what was going on. Then, a couple of IC replies later, their character suddenly has a phone??? Like... That is clearly not what we decided on. I don't understand how people can forget these basic details about a roleplay. Yes, everyone forgets little details, but how do you forget the entire setting?

Although, the person I'm rping with for that roleplay didn't really have any detail or contribute any ideas to start with, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised...

Sorry if that sounded aggressive, I'm a bit frustrated by it at the moment.

The one that's bugging me right now is when people just... ignore the setting we've decided on and the worldbuilding we've done when they reply. In one roleplay I'm doing, we specifically decided on a fantasy setting. It was made clear, we mentioned the details of said fantasy setting a couple times, my rp partner seemed to understand what was going on. Then, a couple of IC replies later, their character suddenly has a phone??? Like... That is clearly not what we decided on. I don't understand how people can forget these basic details about a roleplay. Yes, everyone forgets little details, but how do you forget the entire setting?

Although, the person I'm rping with for that roleplay didn't really have any detail or contribute any ideas to start with, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised...

Sorry if that sounded aggressive, I'm a bit frustrated by it at the moment.
Oh no, that wasn't aggressive at all and I too have had this happen. I was pretty miffed.
My peeve aligns to this one in a way.

I despise watching bullies. Especially one's who MASK HARD. It's a typical narcissistic trait and I detest it.

I have a really really hard time watching a roleplay be taken over by a bully. Who is pretending to be nice. Then they take over someone's entire roleplay. They change aspects of the story to align with their characters. They manipulate the players by pretending to be invested in theirs but if you really look closely, man, all those posts are "aggressive pick me posts." I just can't handle people like that. On the internet and life. Like, it's always that one person doing this again and again and again and again and again and again.

There is a difference from being helpful and manipulative.

Being helpful is like taking someone's trash out at work without being needed to be asked. It's not punching in for someone else job.

I don't know if that makes sense this is before coffee and I'm just really disgruntled and disgusted. HA

As a role-player and someone who draws, I enjoy making art of other people’s characters, but I can’t make anything if the only description I’m given for a character is artwork taken from Google images.

not fitting in sucks. going through the effort to submit a character sheet and trying to accommodate the worldbuilding lore, trying to make your own lore to complement the initial setting, and making a variety of characters for the sake of exploring central themes to the lore and unfortunately never getting anyone to rp with you as extensively as you wanted. even sacrificing some parts of a character to try to "get more engagement" with other people didn't really get much track. while i could suggest it as a problem with myself, more often than not, im always seeing groups rp with their og's, and so it just sucks investing a lot of words and ideas for a collaborative vision that'll never come to life because of favoritism, of incompetence; actually, the reason doesn't even matter because the end result is still the same, putting in a lot of work for something intended for collaboration but doesn't get any is a downer no matter which way you slice it.

When someone ruins a plot you had set up with a different person with a character that's op in comparison to your character

not fitting in sucks. going through the effort to submit a character sheet and trying to accommodate the worldbuilding lore, trying to make your own lore to complement the initial setting, and making a variety of characters for the sake of exploring central themes to the lore and unfortunately never getting anyone to rp with you as extensively as you wanted. even sacrificing some parts of a character to try to "get more engagement" with other people didn't really get much track. while i could suggest it as a problem with myself, more often than not, im always seeing groups rp with their og's, and so it just sucks investing a lot of words and ideas for a collaborative vision that'll never come to life because of favoritism, of incompetence; actually, the reason doesn't even matter because the end result is still the same, putting in a lot of work for something intended for collaboration but doesn't get any is a downer no matter which way you slice it.

I know you weren’t looking for advice but I have found for myself thinking of it as an independent writing excerise helps.

I usually put a lot of world building into my individual characters and roleplays (like at least two 10 page Google docs and sometimes a full spreadsheet)

The vast majority of the information is never really relevant to the RP (because it ends or because it’s not gonna come up in the story).

But it’s a fun writing excerise and it keeps me busy.

As for my latest pet peeve, this is just a minor one ::

Mobile incompatible character sheets. Like I love that you made your character sheet pretty but it’s a pain if I have to wait until I can get on a computer to actually read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back