OOC Chatroom

Well, I'm thinking along the lines of an "universal vehicles" type of pilot. Someone with experience who has flown and rode nearly everything that could be used as a ways of transport in battle, but chooses to fly fast attack ships for the most part.

Considering the personality I'm coming up for "her", I doubt working with another pilot would end up well. She likes to fly alone.

A universal vehicles pilot, I like it, would be good, that would mean we have the Mercenaries (Whom, I assume can fly their own craft?) A Mecha Pilot (Always good to have if we land on some not so friendly planet, or we get under attack.) A small craft pilot, I'd assume fighters and such. So another pilot who is universal? Heck yeah.

I agree with @Dapper Bunny, a universal pilot would be nice; especially considering it would be useful to have someone who can fly a drop ship to carry whoever is going to be fighting on foot. Someone who's good enough to drop off and pick up folks in possibly hot LZ's. Having an ace pilot who can get us out in one piece would probably be very desirable.

that could also work well for "her" provide close in fire support for the mercs and soldier when they are planetside, as well as extraction functions.

Ooh...

That makes two more characters we could make.

We could have the controls interface AI and the actual pilot, that would be fun ^_^  

@Mr.Sandstorm Nines is practically inseparable from the ship, you'd have to do a complete overhaul to replace her. She has the honorary rank of a Lieutenant Commander and has a brain larger than Lambda's entire body. She doesn't have Lambda's mobility or flexibility, or the ability to switch into different types of bodies for different functions. They're entirely different things.

@Mr.Sandstorm Nines is practically inseparable from the ship, you'd have to do a complete overhaul to replace her. She has the honorary rank of a Lieutenant Commander and has a brain larger than Lambda's entire body. She doesn't have Lambda's mobility or flexibility, or the ability to switch into different types of bodies for different functions. They're entirely different things.

Um, I'm pretty sure I wrote the the "ability to switch into different types of bodies for different functions" trait on Cyrus' part, not Nines'.

Is it weird that I get a little tingle of happiness whenever I hear someone use my character in some way? It makes me feel like I've contributed something :)  

Freelancer: Mettaralis Outteridge - Not enough info.

Freelancer: Delastarh Nagahoshi -  Not enough info.

Metaralis is a bit cynical and reserved, but he won't push away somebody who wants to talk to him. He never backs facing danger, and some could call that stubbornness. He's compassionate, striving to help people who really need it even if he don't get paid in the end. But he is also resentful, and a reckless under too much pressure.
He is in symbiosis with a creature called a Voidler (original species). He's a great pilot fighter with his own spaceship, but also on the ground with guns and his sword.

Delastarh, on the other hand, is very social. Being part of the founding family of a big intergalactic company, he learned how to use his words to his advantages. He also never gives up, always finding a way to get through what he's doing. He can sometimes get arrogant and even rude to people who don't respect him, his friends, or people in general.
He's more of classic fighters, with guns and physical weapons. He's a very good cook, but also very picky with his food. He also knows a lot about technologies with his family background.

If that helps you. @Mr.Sandstorm

Last edited by a moderator:
Alrighty! Posted a thing about Seyek's Hive. Even made a cool little emblem for them in Photoshop.

Monarchist spess buhgs go!

And that's two big posts in one day. Phew. Now it is time for me to rest and enter a deep slumber... 

EDIT: 

For those of you who read that last Extra Note I edited in at the end of the Hive of Teeth's post on the Organizations page... can you imagine the mix of wonder and regret one would feel after discovering what they'd been missing this entire time?

Rashaz would be pretty close to second command as a quartermaster, making a good amount of main decisions. Although, I'm unsure if I'll be sticking around much longer..

I'm reading everything in the Thinking Corner, and I am very impressed, but also kinda intimidated. It's crazy how you guys can just pull things like that. I would add my own little things, but I could only add two sentences about a vague thing that has been in "my universe" for months! And I have to admit, I don't understand everything. I love Sci-fi (or rather, Science Fantasy), but I am always very, VERY light about it. All those talks about how this or that tech works got me completely lost. I just go "It's a spaceship. It flies in space!". I don't know if you have been working on those things for months or just created them on the go, but that's more I could ever do in world building. There's a reason I only have two characters and it's because it takes me years to even have a believable character. No seriously, I am blown away. Good job! <3

I'm reading everything in the Thinking Corner, and I am very impressed, but also kinda intimidated. It's crazy how you guys can just pull things like that. I would add my own little things, but I could only add two sentences about a vague thing that has been in "my universe" for months! And I have to admit, I don't understand everything. I love Sci-fi (or rather, Science Fantasy), but I am always very, VERY light about it. All those talks about how this or that tech works got me completely lost. I just go "It's a spaceship. It flies in space!". I don't know if you have been working on those things for months or just created them on the go, but that's more I could ever do in world building. There's a reason I only have two characters and it's because it takes me years to even have a believable character. No seriously, I am blown away. Good job! <3

Same here. Basically everything you said echoes my sentiments, haha.

Well, reading a lot about tech-y stuff helps. And I'll let you know that what has been exposed in the Thinking Corner so far is pretty soft-science to me. 

If you're interested in getting some easy sources to understand the more technical parts of sci-fi works, I recommend to you the Atomic Rockets website. It contains lots of usefull tips for building accurate science-fiction, as well as many sources for sci-fi works that vary in accuracy and nature, from gundam-esque animes to documentaries about the space race:

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/

And also this blog for usefull advice on making accurate scenarios for space exporation that still allow for exciting and compelling storytelling:

http://toughsf.blogspot.com/

Your head might hurt a lot little while trying to understand the more technical parts, but trust me, it's worth it if you're realy interested in the science, and not just the fiction.

Assuming you dont mind running the risk of losing all taste for popular works like Star Wars.

Assuming you dont mind running the risk of losing all taste for popular works like Star Wars.

Eh...I guess I'm nothing like you guys. Crap taste here, I know. 

I like not getting bogged down in tech details, personally, and I like my fiction fun and unfocused on realism. Why analyze what doesn't need fixing? Isn't that what it's all about? Just the way I like to see things, I guess.

There's nothing wrong with details, though, but when realism purely becomes the focus, things lose their charm for me.

I will probably read the storytelling blog, but as for the technical stuff is less my cup of tea. Sorry.
I like the futuristic sci-fi genre mostly for the setting and world. For me, it gives me a lot of space (pun not intended) and freedom to just create. A weird creature? An alien! A strange environment? I distant planet! I am the opposite of a realistic loving person. The more fantastic and impossible it is, the more I love it. Then you might ask "why are you into sci-fi?" Well like I said, I'm more into Science Fantasy. When things get too technical, I kinda lose interest. Doesn't mean I won't watch/read it. Just that I'll wait for the story to go back on track and roll with it. How does Delastarh's rocket boots work? I dunno, but it's cool. What about his pocket dimension of a traveling bag? Same! How do the Voidlers exist and are able to traverse in our universe and possess the living creatures, but Metaralis is in symbiosis with one because of a rare gene? Because it is how it is.
Now, I don't have anything against all of you who are really into realistic and technicalities. It's your thing and I'm happy you like it so much! And I'm still very impressed by all you did in the Thinking Corner. But my spaceship can go through space because it's a spaceship, and my rocket boots can make me jump very high and almost fly because they are rockets on my boots. And I hope it's all good for you too.

Yeah, hard science fiction is a pretty niche category. You have to amass knowledge from many fields of science and still have the creativity to use these "limitations" to create a compelling story in order to make it work. I can definitely understand why most people just prefer to assume spaceships fly in space because theyre spaceships.

It has aways bothered me however that the common opinion is that incorporating scientific analysis into the plot bogs down the narrative. By the stars, why do you think it's called science fiction?! Because it uses science as an element of the fiction, not as some parallel element that needs to deviate the whole plot just to justify itself!

Just like J.R.R. Tolkien created whole languages, civilizations and cultures for his books but still managed to make one of the most succesfull series of fantasy literature to date, a good sci-fi author can use the current scientific previsions and questionings of tomorrows technologies and societies as an inseparable part of the world he's building; he should do that. But that doesnt mean just bluntly shoving scientific articles in the middle of the book, no. That would be bad narrative regardless of the genre. You have to merge the explanations with the very sequence of events that takes place: the small talks, the conflicts, the cultures.

Now, incoherences and holes in the scientific accuracy will aways exist. The Martian is an example of this. Most of the technologies and principles brougth forth to help drive the narrative are pretty down-to-earth, but remember that sandstorm at the beginning? The one that drove the main events of the movie/book into motion? That could never happen in real Mars, the martian atmosphere isnt thick enough to warrant windstorms strong enough to lift a small rock, nevermind an antenna dish or a rocket. Some deliberate belief will be necessary from time to time.

But if you have to rely more on that belief than acutal science, then you're not writing science-fiction. You're not even writing science-fantasy. You're just writing fantasy that happens to use different iterations of elves and orks, and also assume that planets are not flat and there's something else above the sky other than the zodiac.

But again, I understand how dificult the task is, and I understand why most prefer to rely on common popular notions about spacefaring and science instead. Considering how tight-knit and hard to find the hard sci-fi audience is, I doubt a technical approach to sci-fi would even work in a co-authored work such as this RP.

So, suit yourself, I wont bother you anymore if your spaceship has wings and makes whooshes while in plain vaccuum.

I will probably read the storytelling blog, but as for the technical stuff is less my cup of tea. Sorry.
I like the futuristic sci-fi genre mostly for the setting and world. For me, it gives me a lot of space (pun not intended) and freedom to just create. A weird creature? An alien! A strange environment? I distant planet! I am the opposite of a realistic loving person. The more fantastic and impossible it is, the more I love it. Then you might ask "why are you into sci-fi?" Well like I said, I'm more into Science Fantasy. When things get too technical, I kinda lose interest. Doesn't mean I won't watch/read it. Just that I'll wait for the story to go back on track and roll with it. How does Delastarh's rocket boots work? I dunno, but it's cool. What about his pocket dimension of a traveling bag? Same! How do the Voidlers exist and are able to traverse in our universe and possess the living creatures, but Metaralis is in symbiosis with one because of a rare gene? Because it is how it is.
Now, I don't have anything against all of you who are really into realistic and technicalities. It's your thing and I'm happy you like it so much! And I'm still very impressed by all you did in the Thinking Corner. But my spaceship can go through space because it's a spaceship, and my rocket boots can make me jump very high and almost fly because they are rockets on my boots. And I hope it's all good for you too.

@MystikGalaxy

Don't worry about what you write. When you write something in those sections, write for yourself because it's fun and because you think others might have fun reading it. Don't feel like you need to keep up with anyone or appeal to some sort of status quo; only you can bring out your ideas and thats make them worth writing.

Do what you think is most exciting and interesting; consequences and nay-sayers be damned. Sci-Fi isn't some elitist country club where you're not allowed to write or enjoy it if you aren't taking a physics class. It's a wonderful genre with a wide variety of styles and approaches that all have the capacity to be incredibly effective and interesting. It's not a challenge to see who can quote the most laws of physics. Science fiction is great at using a facade of advanced technology and space age science as a backdrop for its story; similar to how high magic fantasy tends to use the medieval era as a backdrop. So the way you're using it is as perfect as anyone else's method, and don't be dissuaded by anyone or anything.

Take The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy, for example. It's insanely inaccurate, but it's great at telling a story. It's why Douglas Adams is regarded as an amazing science fiction writer (and a hell of a humorist). Not to mention one of my favorite authors.

Don't sweat it. There's no one single way to write anything, including science fiction. Write the ideas you want to bring out the most; don't worry about the rest.

A wonderful statement Doobert and Sandstorm.

Unlike fantasy, Sci-fi is a bit harder, it's futuristic after all.

It's always easier to make up some weird names, slap it on something that doesn't look in-human and call it fantasy, rather than trying to explain that the quantum leap is different than the warp jump, and how the engines for each works differently.

The question is where to strike a balance, sure if we go "It's space, it just does!" That would be easy, but also it would remove immersion, especially for those who work with it,

Science, like fantasy have two main categories, Hard Science Fiction and Soft Science Fiction.

Hard SF is the emphasis on scientific accuracy or technical detail (Or more common, both.) On that, there are many who will discuss on how far is real science, it's less flexible than Soft SF, due to the fact we'd have to look and study our real life science, and sorta work it out through that, it can give a lot to work with both icly and oocly, that allows people to get into details with things, but it is not easy. Hard SF's requirements are that things are accurate, logical and rigorous in the use of our current scientific and technical knowledge, and about which technology, phenomena and scenarios that are practically and theoretically possible, Some Hard SF authors for an example doesn't even have faster than light travel, cause we don't have that. In the end, Hard SF can be boiled down to the "focus on realistically depicting the worlds that such a technology might make possible." Which does mean it can be less about the absolute accuracy of science (As Sandstorm said with the Martian.) And more of the rigor and consistency with which the ideas and possibilities are worked out. (AKA, This is how the quantum leap is different than the warp jump, but the engines work almost the same.)

Soft Science on the other hand, is not going to really be scientifically accurate, some of the things in soft sf can be illogical even, Basically like Star Wars, there is some explanation for the FTL (Like how far they go, a warp spool drive.. Etc) And usually also incorporate Paranormal powers (Such as the force.) Soft Science is also more concentrated on the characters and their interactions than the ship, removing the need to work out how the occupants in space ships endure the G-forces generated from extreme maneuvering in situations like launching or dogfights, Laser beams being visible even though there is a lack of dust particles or air molecules in vacuum to scatter the beam's light, and how ships that suffer engine failures and comes to a stop, even though it should continue along it's current trajectory or orbit.  

Soft Science also takes the focus away from what Hard SF has, instead of astronomy, chemistry, physics and technology, Soft SF focuses on things like psychology, biology and sociology to name a few.

What that needs to be worked out, where in the spectrum between these two, is this RP, (Not talking about all the subgenres that exist, just the two categories.)

Each as their pros and cons, and striking a balance between the two.. Is not something that is lightly done, putting technology and science into some things, while keeping it sorta vague in another is just going to confuse people. I've always preferred a lighter Sci-fi, due to it allowing people to make more, yet as I spoken before, I still aim to keep it under the paranormal part, I'd rather want a made-up (Probably semi-absurd) information about how the FTL drives works, rather than going arms deep into science and then wrangle a way out how we could in a realistic manner, put the same FTL drives into the story.

Personal opinions are personal in the end, @Captain Gensokyo Have the last say overall,

But again, Soft SF is a bit easier for the majority to work with and understand, because a lot of it can be semi worked with science we know and then be more ambiguous with the rest.

While Hard SF can bring out the extreme and beautiful details of science and technology, but it is limited to what you study, and there is quite a lot to study.

Both categories are good, I've read books of both, seen movies of both, they got their charms, but mixing them isn't something I've seen at all, and I doubt it's possible. 

Certainly on the soft sci-fi side here. While I can see the charm of discussing the difference of TFL and Warp drives based on our current understanding of science, I don't think this rp ever struck me as the type. As long as we keep a groundwork of 'fantastic realism' it seems most including myself will be happy.

My suggestion to the hard sci-fi crowd is to let those technical details flow into your writing, play an engineer and have it flow into his work and speech. If you know about rank structure and want to discuss military regulations, small unit tactics or the benefits of being commissioned then play an officer and let that flow in. Make it interesting and natural so people actually want to read it. Or drop an explanation in the tech section to discuss with the like minded.

@Mr.Sandstorm
I'm sorry if you thought I was completely dismissing science. What I meant is, I don't really look into it too much when it comes to sci-fi. I know that the spaceship would need a powerful reactor or something to be able to go through space, not just on water and sparkles, but I won't look into how it would need to work to be able to do it. If you tell me it's some kind of nuclear reactor I will just accept it because it seems like it would be plausible. Maybe it isn't, I don't know. And if someone goes into a lengthy explanation of how the reactor works realistically, I won't argue with them either. Because I know that the spaceship needs a lot of power to go through space, but that's the extent of what I need to continue.

@Doobert
What I meant is all I could really add is something along the lines of "Delastarh's family company is very well known for making a lot of mundane objects that help to make life easier but also ships and weapons of high quality." That's not very worthy of a post when you think about it, but that's all I have to say. I can't tell you their logo, their motto, what exactly they make, etc. But thank you.

@Captain Gensokyo

uh... It isn't really a problem of people losing interest, it's the problem of people forgetting about the RP and not knowing if they should stay or not....

I kinda wanted to get into this before school started so I could post at my best ;-;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back