[OOC] Around the Fire - for any ooc discussion. [A Missing Flame]

In my opinion, the three primary social abilities are not well defined. According to the Core book p406-410:

Performance covers artistic expression, including speeches

Presence covers leadership and persuasion, including intimidation

Socialize covers understanding what makes people tick and the rules of etiquette, it's application ranges from being a master of small talk to being the life of the party to fine art of the insult

In social combat, however, only presence and performance are used offensively. Core book p172:

Presence is used when you are acting against a single individual or, maybe no more than a handful of people at best.

Performance is used for groups of people.

true, but socialize is used when trying to discern the motives of social groups, which in turn can help you convince them, by knowing what makes them tick.

Thanks.

I should be able to get everything done in less than twelve hours, if I have that much time. Otherwise, I'll do what I can... if I skip the fanfic, it shouldn't take long.

It struck me that a solar may well be oblivious to who is Lunar is.....the solar side isn't mystically enforced, and besides the occassional bit of deja vu or past life dream, they may have no clue why this random furball has taken an interest.....I was thinking it might be neat to try that perspective. Any of our unattached lunars interested....?

In my opinion, the three primary social abilities are not well defined. According to the Core book p406-410:
Performance covers artistic expression, including speeches

Presence covers leadership and persuasion, including intimidation

Socialize covers understanding what makes people tick and the rules of etiquette, it's application ranges from being a master of small talk to being the life of the party to fine art of the insult

In social combat, however, only presence and performance are used offensively. Core book p172:

Presence is used when you are acting against a single individual or, maybe no more than a handful of people at best.

Performance is used for groups of people.
Socialize is to social combat what War is to actual combat. It basically allows me to rewrite the beliefs of entire societies - if I could get good enough at it, I can convince Lookshy to abandon the Immaculate Faith, for instance - there are charms for doing that, which I bought. I don't have any such high goal at the moment, though - though that can change.

It struck me that a solar may well be oblivious to who is Lunar is.....the solar side isn't mystically enforced' date=' and besides the occassional bit of deja vu or past life dream, they may have no clue why this random furball has taken an interest.....I was thinking it might be neat to try that perspective. Any of our unattached lunars interested....?[/quote']
That is actually a good point. Usually, people have a flashback or something explain their sudden friendship but there's nothing saying that HAS to happen. Furthermore, the Lunar might not know either; they just feel like this person is spectacularly awesome.

Good idea, there. It'd be... Quirky if played well, hilariously odd if played badly. Either way, fun.

As for Lunars, I'd be happy to have Odalis paired up. Haven't read through everyone's stuff, though, so it's a general offer if any of you feel Odalis is right for your character.

...Well, I couldn't get the background or fanfic done yet, but hopefully there's enough there to go on.

I haven't done more than skim through the other characters yet, but... if it's not too late and anyone wants to pair with Rhea, just let me know.

Before you do anything, I'd say putting up a Motivation is very necessary. Otherwise, no-one knows what drives your character.

...I already did that, though.

Also... before I post, Shadow, would it be okay if I add "her mentor" to Rhea's list of Intimacies? I know I haven't written anything about him yet, but I was having trouble thinking of Intimacies last night, and today I thought I might as well put that on there if I could.

All right.

While I admittedly don't have more than a basic idea at the moment, I'll send you a summary before I write anything about it into the character sheet.

It just struck me, what languages do folks speak...? I've got high, low, and old realm as well as fire tongue, but it only just struck me that I'm in the east without being able to speak river speak or forest tongue. I suppose (with ST permission) I could trade fire tongue for river speak.....being a trade tongue it would be spoken more widely, and thus something a traveler would have picked up....

most people, especially in cities, are likely to speak one more language, at the very least.

also, your journey is gonna take you to many places, so a variety of languages would come in handy, and if you cannot speak to the locals in some areas, so much better for role-play...

Forest-tongue, Guild Cant, High Realm, Low Realm, Old Realm, Riverspeak here. And he speaks all of them well enough for nobody to recognize which one is native. I'm assuming I answered the spirits in the same language they spoke in.

True point, I'll leave it be and perhaps just try to learn it in game.....Language lessons are always fun for RP.....

That said...what language did they speak in...?

True point, I'll leave it be and perhaps just try to learn it in game.....Language lessons are always fun for RP.....
That said...what language did they speak in...?
Gods and demons speak old realm natively.

I think most of us have Riverspeak and/or Low Realm as languages.

strangely enough when they speak, it seems as if each of you hears it in whichever language is native to you. These are powerful spirits, despite their innocuous appearance, and as such they have no problem getting their message across, no matter the audience, if the need is grave, and in this case, it's very grave.

I've Flame, Sea, and Low Realm. Yep, so I cover two directions and common stuff too. But I'm no good with scratchy-speak (Clawspeak) so no leaving me messages in the trees xD

Riverspeak, Foresttongue, Low Realm, High Realm, and Claw-speak here. That should be enough to talk to anyone around here, though once we travel elsewhere in Creation I may have to take some language lessons, or at the very least one of those Charms that allows communication without speaking.

Speaking of that, language specialties in Linguistics just allow you to know another language and don't actually give a bonus, right?

Speaking of that' date=' language specialties in Linguistics just allow you to know another language and don't actually give a bonus, right?[/quote']
If you take a language as a specialty it doesn't provide a bonus unless you already speak it......I'm not sure if it's a house rule I heard or an actual rule, but if I remember correctly, one can have as many language specialties as they want, but only three that add bonus dice (For instance a linguistics specialty in calligraphy or in writing on a particular topic))

Odalis speaks High Realm, Low Realm and Old Realm. It did just strike me that I never picked a native language for Odalis, though... Maybe Riverspeak since it's a Lingua Franca? They did come from the West, though, so it may be inappropriate.

pretty much anywhere the guild is, you'll find riverspeak.....Not really a native language except perhaps for someone who grew up in a caravan, but easily switched with one of your others. (probably high or low realm depending on the station to which you were born).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back