New Version of Anathema

Yes, of course. Errm... sorry. I wanted to mention, but forgot while trying to be honest, witty and not too offensive.

(Ah, and while you're here: I'm still working on the User's Guide. It's mostly done, I just need to add some additional screenshots. Should be through in time for christmas.)

UrsKR said:
(Ah, and while you're here: I'm still working on the User's Guide. It's mostly done, I just need to add some additional screenshots. Should be through in time for christmas.)
Jesus' best birthday present ever!

Flagg said:
Jesus' best birthday present ever!
In that case you should be delighted, since christmas is right now.

The guide (first version, at least) is done. Most of the credit goes to uteck - his idea, his draft, many screenshots his. I only did the editing/layout and added some occult details.

I hope it is of some use to all of you - let us know how to improve it.

Edit: No direct link, then. Stupid internet.

Edited Edit: Maybe this one works.

Gawrsh... stupid next-gen internet systems with variable URLs. It worked five minutes ago, I swear! Anyway - I hope it's fixed now.

Edit: It isn't. Maybe this time.

Great. The first one was originally intended to do what the second one apparently does. Sorry for the confusion.

Now, linkage aside, any thoughts?

Here we go again...

I'm back, and with me is Anathema. The new release of Anathema, featuring many a bugfix and stuff "to make it feel more like an application", is available now.

Before you download, know that this new version uses Java 6, which is not yet available for all platforms and might not yet be installed on your computer. You can get it at java.sun.com.

For the Windows crowd, there's a shiny installer - created by myself in close collaboration with Jontu Kontar and Democritus - which will automatically check whether your Java is up to date.

Those of you direly awaiting more game-related content will be disappointed, since neither Dragon-Blooded nor Martial Arts nor Spells are in there - but read on: I'll try to have the latter two available via smaller updates, published every two weeks (or so) from now.  Maybe I'll even succeed.

For now, check out what's there and enjoy

-Urs

I can't seem to find the changelog. Can you point me to it?

UrsKR said:
Before you download, know that this new version uses Java 6, which is not yet available for all platforms and might not yet be installed on your computer.
There will be no Mac version of this release.

Out of curiosity, what feature of Java 6 required this change?

Java 6 is poor on features, so there is no "single one feature we couldn't to without".

The two things that I know to be in use in the code is the option to add the "@Override" annotation to methods defined in super-interfaces, not only super-classes- this would be quite hard to find-and-revert - and the use of the newly introduced splashscreen API - which is a change easily undone.

All in all, it's mainly my curiosity that wanted to make the move. Back when democritus designed the new splashscreen, there were several ideas proposed that would be quite easy to handle with the new API, so I integrated it as soon as the JDK was publicly available.

Sandra asked if I thought it prudent (thinking of people using the program) and I told her that installing Java 6 was no big feat, so we were safe.

It never occurred to me that the there would be a delay in the Java platform's public availability in the Mac world, after all there were no changes as big as there were with Java 5.

As I said in the mail I wrote earlier, I'm really sorry about this, but given that Apple has already posted some developer previews, things will be better in no time.

UrsKR said:
The two things that I know to be in use in the code is the option to add the "@Override" annotation to methods defined in super-interfaces, not only super-classes- this would be quite hard to find-and-revert - and the use of the newly introduced splashscreen API - which is a change easily undone.
For the former, I don't think you would need to revert. I think you could still use version 6 to compile such code into version 5 compatible jars. For the latter, however, you couldn't use the same trick.

UrsKR said:
Apple has already posted some developer previews, things will be better in no time.
You have more faith in them than I do :D . They've been on b88 since early November.

Good thinking, should be possible.

Since the use of the Splashscreen API is limited to a single dedicated class, it could maybe be handled via a delegating proxy that recognized the Java version and forwarded the call accordingly.

I'll code it somewhen this week and try to compile a test version for you to check.

wordman said:
There will be no Mac version of this release.
And I only just bought a Mac! :(

Still, satisfaction. I can live with 1.0 for now, and if I'm desperate I'll use my Desktop.

The experiment wordman proposed has not yet been conducted, so there's still hope.

Wordman, given that the SF.net downtime appears to be a lasting affair, is there some other way that I could transfer you 10 MB?

I found a small bug in 1.1

If you add XP to a character, it does not enable the "save" buttons. You have to change something else on the character before you can save it.

Depends on whether SF.net's shell servers are back up...*check* ... which they are not.

I doubt they'll do anything on the weekend, so I can't upload the file for wordman to test. Mac will come eventually, though, if things work out.

Hey, no rush. You guys are doing an awesome job with it just by making it Java, and if I'm desperate I can use windows.

I'd like to see that little charm widget you're using released, or perhaps purchase of a "Wildcard" charm being made possible, with fields for ability/prerequisite input etc., though.

New Anathema 1.1.1 is almost up. It fixes all crippling bugs reported for 1.1 and some minor ones, as well as some problems that never where. Also included is Terrestrial Hero Style.

And I've not yet given up hope for the Mac thing.

I have updated my equipment database with First Ed equipment.  Power Combat is next if I feel like it.

Remember that this will overwrite the previous file, so if you made changes copy the file elseware or don't use the new file.

Hmm.. I love Anathema,It makes it really easier to experiment with some skill combination and many more for a noob like me  8)

THX to UrsKR

(and THX uteck for equipment Base)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back