Naruto - Back to Basics - OOC

The Takahashi Tokusentai Team, TTT , has much work to do... Such as winning said game of dodgeball for heroism and justice.

Plus merchandising.

Okay, so I have to use dice from my initiative on this marvel? Or it's a completely separate lake?

Well cat is a jerk but on the plus side I can explain marvels.

Anyway mask, what you got hit is a disrupt marvel which is a debuff on your combat stats. As you can tell Ichigo has targeted your footwork. Anyway you defend against it using the same skill that was used against you which is finesse. If it succeeds you get a -5 on footwork. To get rid off it you use leftover dice on the initiative roll against the difficulty of the result of that marvel. Also marvels can defended with a die.

How I'd do it is roll twice. one for defense and the other for the initiative roll

I see nothing wrong other than tactics being misused on simple dialogue which doesn't need a roll. And even if you really really wanted to roll it would be better served with the inspire skill

The Will of the Courtier is to do what the Courtier Will.

If you actually tried rolling it for, some inane reason. Or in general. Takahashi can't be contained in this mere cage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah there's also the part of trying to be better at talking the courtier which is going to be difficult.

Also kin you can't store dice from the initiative roll. They have to come from a roll against a difficulty number

AH, yes, need to clean up my river then. Apologizes for that then.

And so you can flow and float dice same action then?

According to the rule book, Wash, Float and Flow/Flood can only be used in that order. If you have Flowed a dice, you can't Float during the same round, which means:

• Kazimah can Flow her 6 Pair during the defense roll to protect herself from Disruption.
  • Kazimah can not Float her 4 Pair during the defense roll since she has already used Flow. She could first Float then Flow, but since her River's size is 2, it couldn't hold two pairs at the same time.
  • Kazimah can not Flow a 4 Pair to make a Minor Action during the initiative roll since her River is empty.
  • Kazimah can not Float the 9 Pair since initiative is not an opposed roll.
However, I am not very sure about the last rule. According to the rule book, opposed doesn't only mean competing against and appreciable difficulty, but also competing with, which could be understood as some kind of race. We could consider init rolls a massive race where everyone is competing with everyone, but then that would mean every roll would be an opposed roll and the opposed roll mechanic would be meaningless. Everything points to init rolls not being opposed, but Ixacise should decide.

And now we come to the flaw of Wulin which also extends to many other books. The complete lack of technical writing skills used in the writing of this book. However a portion of the fault also comes from me being sleepy and reading the rules which aren't clear at times. Which that it totally made sense you

Anyway river section a shit.

On one hand I feel like changing the way the how river processes are for the sake of combat speeding up by enabling bigger numbers. The changes would mean you could unload your river and float other dice in into however you will still only do each action once.

On the other hand I realize by doing that it will allow more shenanigans with dice hording and less of a strategic feel since the only thing on the player side would be how long will they be willing to save it as well as the luck of the draw. That is not to say that isn't already a factor to begin with, but rather that the pacing is altered.

Honestly I'd be up for messing with the rules and seeing how much it borks with the game. However feel free to argue for or against the changes.

As for the initiative thing nice rules arguing blume. With that type of view it does make sense. Also much like opposed rolls having some method at tie breaking so does initiative rolls. Where you look at the roll and see who had the biggest and failing that you let the infallible GM bullshit something up. Opposed rolls on the other hand do not have any tie breaker and instead fall on GM Shenanigans to administer some result or lack thereof.

Also mentioning the restriction on the part on when to float in dice as opposed to putting it in the first paragraph is super stupid. It makes me believe that it was some carryover from an older draft that escaped editing which wouldn't surprise me as it has happened before in this book. So yeah I changed my mind you can into river with initiative rolls because BE make up your FUCKING CLEARER minds up O-baka-chan-tachi* devs.

TL Note: Fools

Well, the default system assumes the River actions have a set of priorities. Although Wash is kinda useless, it is still necessary in case you had a 20 saved from last roll and want it to change to a 29, for example. Let's put into situation:

• Onna floats a 21 into her River during her attack roll.
  • Onna gets a 28 Pair during next attack roll.
  • Since she has no smart Flow use for said 21 right now, she decides to Wash her river.
  • Since Wash has a lower priority than Float, Onna can Float that nice 28 into her river.

If there was no priority order, she could simply Flow her 21 to make any dumb action she wanted and then reload her river. This allows for flashier combat full of Marvels, but it will be more luck-based than strategic as you don't have to decide between loading a better roll or using a minor action. This would effectively reduce the River actions to Float and Flood/Flow, since Wash would only be used at scene changes. I guess it all reduces to what do you want to achieve: seneless flashy ebin combat, or slower but more strategic well-thought combats? Since this is Naruto I assume the former, but I don't know.

Also, consider Rank 3 or higher Rivers.

• Onna is now Rank 3, with a River size of 3.
  • Onna Floats a 26 roll from her Attack roll into her River.
  • During next round, she gets a single 6.
  • Without priorities, she could simply Flow her 26 into her Lake, then make a triple 6 and turn it back to her River with Float, making a 36.
  • With priorities, if she Flows her 26, she has to use it since Flow has a higher priority than Float.

Regarding opposed rolls, I agree that rule makes no sense. I would be okay with Floating pairs from init rolls, as it speeds up the combat a bit but also keeps that strategic Wash usage. Probably the best compromise would be to remove the opposed rolls rule and make any Lake roll floatable, but also keep the River actions priority order to avoid shenanigans going out of hand.

Let's talk about this once we finish this "session" which ends when dodgeball is won

Anyway after this round we get into internals which should speed things up and help with shenanigans. Also hopefully you try some more marvels and fishing for GM bonuses

Blumenkranz said:
Well, the default system assumes the River actions have a set of priorities. Although Wash is kinda useless, it is still necessary in case you had a 20 saved from last roll and want it to change to a 29, for example. Let's put into situation:
  • Onna floats a 21 into her River during her attack roll.
  • Onna gets a 28 Pair during next attack roll.
  • Since she has no smart Flow use for said 21 right now, she decides to Wash her river.
  • Since Wash has a lower priority than Float, Onna can Float that nice 28 into her river.

If there was no priority order, she could simply Flow her 21 to make any dumb action she wanted and then reload her river. This allows for flashier combat full of Marvels, but it will be more luck-based than strategic as you don't have to decide between loading a better roll or using a minor action. This would effectively reduce the River actions to Float and Flood/Flow, since Wash would only be used at scene changes. I guess it all reduces to what do you want to achieve: seneless flashy ebin combat, or slower but more strategic well-thought combats? Since this is Naruto I assume the former, but I don't know.

Also, consider Rank 3 or higher Rivers.

• Onna is now Rank 3, with a River size of 3.
  • Onna Floats a 26 roll from her Attack roll into her River.
  • During next round, she gets a single 6.
  • Without priorities, she could simply Flow her 26 into her Lake, then make a triple 6 and turn it back to her River with Float, making a 36.
  • With priorities, if she Flows her 26, she has to use it since Flow has a higher priority than Float.

Regarding opposed rolls, I agree that rule makes no sense. I would be okay with Floating pairs from init rolls, as it speeds up the combat a bit but also keeps that strategic Wash usage. Probably the best compromise would be to remove the opposed rolls rule and make any Lake roll floatable, but also keep the River actions priority order to avoid shenanigans going out of hand.
I agree. Though the book says that competing rolls count as floatable too. Like who can grab the falling apple the fastest. So in this case since we're competing for who gets to a ball fastest, it can float

For the order, I understand. It wouldn't make sense to be able to do something like that at the starting level to do what I did. Technically, it would have been possible but only at a higher level right? I see what you mean

[QUOTE="White Masquerade]I agree. Though the book says that competing rolls count as floatable too. Like who can grab the falling apple the fastest. So in this case since we're competing for who gets to a ball fastest, it can float
For the order, I understand. It wouldn't make sense to be able to do something like that at the starting level to do what I did. Technically, it would have been possible but only at a higher level right? I see what you mean

[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Once we get to Rank 3 (which will be in... quite a few sessions), River action priority order will make much more sense. Without priority, we could technically float singles into the River in some specific situations, so I think it is better to keep it.

Anyway, I think we have all rolled for init already, but the River thing has to be fixed before we can determine the final order.

Aight just fix it.

Also in the talk about rivers I forgot to add that your roll of tactics which you made a wave is invalid. At most it would be a minor action. But like I mentioned before it really doesn't deserve its own roll

Users who are viewing this thread

Back