• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Legacies: World at War - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
We got keqing, now Zhongli for Numen. Cairo's gonna be completing the holy trinity of genshin face claims whenever I get him out lol

I'm giving him some like desert fan design Tighnari art that I found.
Cairo? Oh I remember. Lol, the Genshin FCs aren't done. There's one more on the way but it's not a known playable character.

Speaking of Zhongli, he gets his rerun in Phase 2 of 4.0. I'm excited for that c:

97a30d9cf5b287555b4217c3bc1e064e.jpg

The teeeeeam
Nahida Main DPS
Kuki Support/Hyperbloom trigger
Koko as Healer and Hydro Applier
Yelan as Sub-DPS/Hydro Applier

ALso, do you like the title and little lore snippets of the weapons i've been giving the new characters?

ALso, do you like the title and little lore snippets of the weapons i've been giving the new characters?
Honestly, just gave them a read because I thought you were just reformatting the sheets. I do like them. The things I noticed here, lightning gods plural, so we have more than one lightning god in the past. Plus, Mountain being capitol in Numen's sheet makes me suspicious.

Honestly, just gave them a read because I thought you were just reformatting the sheets. I do like them. The things I noticed here, lightning gods plural, so we have more than one lightning god in the past. Plus, Mountain being capitol in Numen's sheet makes me suspicious.
Ehe~

Mystra's weapon has a lore snippet too, dont know if you read that

SharkBark SharkBark Kumii Kumii
Dnd basics for you noobs XD
I can answer any other questions you have that I didn't address here.

And if you want Shark, I can run a practice combat session for you in Dm's. If you're up to, I know you're still on hiatus.

Dice
Everything about this system is determined by the dice. They decide your fate. Each dice is represented by the letter d following a number based on the number of sides it has. A dice that has six sides will be called a d6 and so on.

The dice are as follows: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20.

Should there be a number before the letter d, it simply implies how many of that type of dice you must role. Say you have a 2d4, it means you are rolling two four-sided dice.

Combat
AC and DC
AC stands for armor class. Armor class is representative of how hard a character is to hit. Armor class doesn't exclusively stand for how good one's armor is, though it is a big part of it. Armor class also encompasses reflexes, how quick they are and if they're good at dodging hits, and its often a combination of the two that makes up an armor class. Armor classes usually don't go above or much higher than 20, because around the early 20 range is likely where you'll get to with rolling attacks. Above 20 is more like the boss level, and even bosses don't go much higher than that, because realistically you're not gonna be rolling 23's to hit every attack. You can go harder with your armor class, but you have to remember to also be fair with it as well because of how the dice system works.

In combat, you'll be rolling to see if you can hit an enemy's armor class, as well as the enemy doing the same for your character. You have to surpass the number of the other character's AC in order to hit them. If the number you get is the same as the other's AC, it hits as well. If it's the number of the AC, or above, it hits, and if its below it doesn't. That rule applies for both player characters and enemies rolling to hit.

DC, or difficulty class, is basically the same as AC. A number that you have to hit in order to achieve something. In Dnd, difficulty class is the term used for most of the out of combat numbers, but since we're only doing combat, it'll likely only be referred to in the case of saving throws. So, if you see the term DC or difficulty class being thrown around, that's what it is.

Ability Scores and Modifiers
Along with your rolls, modifiers are a big thing to take into consideration and always remember. They can easily make or break an attack going up against an AC. All you're points count and even the slightest boost can make a difference.

Modifiers come from your ability scores. Strength, dexterity, intelligence, wisdom, charisma and constitution. Except here we have willpower instead of charisma. The stats here differ a lot from their dnd counterparts. We didn't go exactly the same, since it's not being run exactly like dnd. Everything outside of combat stays like it is without ability checks and whatnot, so we really only need ability scores for combat, so we really tailored it towards specific things. You've probably checked lore by now, but the first post in there has a list at the bottom of all the ability scores. Anyways, based on your characters skillset, your ability scores will range from higher to lower number. For example, in our combat system, Mateo would have less numbers on strength and dex and more on willpower, wis, and intelligence, because he doesn't use weapons like swords and daggers, things strength and dex are tailored towards. Additionally, he's more magic focused, and a cleric too, so willpower and the magic stats are where his dumping ground is gonna be at. It'll be different for each character based on what they're better at. Basically, it means that Mateo is gonna be shit with swords and daggers, which makes sense for him. I love the bean, but he's a flimsy, tall, nerdy teen. He ain't gonna have Rai's muscles lol So strength's not it for him. If it helps, you can think of ability scores as a numerical record of a character's training. What did they spend their year's worth of training on? Strength to wield and put force behind a sword? The dexterity to aim and throw ranged weapons? Or have they put their nose in a book to study magical applications? It's a good way to fill out ability scores this way, especially in something like this where it's not as strict as dnd.

Based on how high or low your ability scores are, you'll get different bonuses to your rolls. Basically, depending on how high or low your score is, you could get a plus or minus to your roll. Certain items can also add a plus or minus, though usually it's a plus. For instance, I haven't figured out everything about Mateo's sheet, but he'll most likely get some kind of added bonus from the phoenix book, because it's both a magic item and a drop from a boss. Loot like that will usually give you some type of added bonus, but not always if they have some type of affect. Like, the phoenix book won't give Mateo a ton of modifier boosters because it summons a creature that can do damage for him. You have to think about that before you go boosting all your modifiers because of a magical item. In real dnd, if an item does something, there's a good chance it'll have no modifiers attached to it. But obviously, there's some stuff we're taking and some we're leaving when it comes to dnd rules. Like, there's no leveling up here, so modifiers won't change and increase, especially the bad ones. So magic items giving us a mod boost is a good way to really show increase in the characters as the story progresses and get us a leg up on the tougher enemies, who will probably have good mods. The short of the long rambling here, it's just something to be mindful of as we go along. Here's the time where I apologize if I'm rambling or hammering in certain points a little too hard lol

Anyways, back to the actual modifiers, I don't know how Kumii's running the threshold for -1 or +1's, but that's the basics of how mods work. You're adding or subtracting points from your base roll that are based on your ability scores, aka what your character is good or bad at. If the ability score is a high enough number, you're really good at a particular skill, you'll get a bonus number to your roll. The same thing for when it's really low.

Types of Roles
There are a variety of reasons why a player would roll. If I'm not mistaken, we're only adding on three types of rolls, because we're only taking on the dice system for combat. These rolls are attack, damage, and saving throws.

You're d20 is the stereotypical dice you're always seeing associated with DnD. You'll be using a d20 for attack rolls and saving throws. Damage rolls are what all the other dice are for.

Attack rolls are roll to hit. When attempting an attack in combat, whether it be a spell or weapon attack, you roll a d20 and add your modifiers for your total. This total determines if you succeed in your attack and hit your enemy, or if the attack completely fails, but you still spend your turn (and spell slot if its magic) doing so. The common phrase is # to hit. So, let's use 16. Players will ask the DM, 16 to hit, as in does the number 16 hit the enemies AC.

If your attack roll succeeds, you then roll for damage. Damage dice may be anything other than a d20 and varies from weapon to weapon. A punch will be a lower sided die than a sword attack, because a sword will do more damage than a punch. The amount of sides on a die is the highest amount of damage you can do with that particular dice. The highest on a d12 is a 12 and so on. But obviously, if you need to roll two d12's, then you'll add that number together for higher damage than the die's highest side. The number that you roll with these dice determines how much damage you're attacks do.

The third type are called saving throws. These rolls are typically used for status affects. For example, say someone used electric magic that causes paralysis on the target. You would have to roll a saving throw to see if you would get that status effect, or if your character could shake it off before the effect takes hold. Saving throws use the same practice as attack rolls. A d20 plus modifiers, though some saving throws may not include the use of a modifier. It just depends on what you're saving against.

Natural 20 and Natural 1
You've probably heard of something called a natural 1 and a natural 20. These are the lowest and highest rolls you can get respectively, and each have special implications for the roll. A nat 1 pretty much means you did absolute shit at what you were trying to do. Say you're attacking with a gun. With a nat 1, you get distracted and accidently shoot yourself in the foot. Stuff like that can happen, and its usually hilarious chaos that ensues from a nat 1, almost making the failure even better than a success at times.

Natural 20's are the complete opposite, though with a little more to them. Again, say you're rolling an attack roll. Natural 20's are labeled as critical hits. Attack wise, they are immediate successes, and you're essentially bypassing the armor class of the enemy. That is to say, if the armor class is 25 and you roll a natural 20 plus a modifier of 3 for a 23, it doesn't matter that your short on 2 points because you automatically get the hit. This is true also for saving throws. You bypass the DC on a saving throw if you get a natural 20.

Now, here comes the part where there's more to it than the auto fail of a nat 1, natural 20's on attacks, you're doubling your damage die. So, you roll every die you're rolling for a normal attack twice and adding the numbers together. Say you roll 2d6 for one regular sword slice. You'd be rolling 4d6 with a natural 20. Nat 20's, and nat 1's as well, only last for a single roll. Say you're rolling three attacks for the turn, only the attack you rolled the nat 20 or 1 on would be getting the affect.

The natural part of the names comes from the fact that you're getting that number without modifiers. It's what you rolled on the dice before you added on modifiers. For example, if I rolled 16 and my modifier was 4, it would add up to 20, but the 20 would not be a natural 20 because you didn't get it on the roll before any type of modifiers came into play.

Advantage and Disadvantage
Advantage and disadvantage is when the situation presents a second roll to your action. For advantage rolls, you roll two times for the same action, and take the roll with the higher number before modifiers. Disadvantage is the same deal, except you're taking the lower number of the two rolls. There could be many reasons why you get advantage. A good example is flanking in normal dnd. If you and an ally are across from each other in an enemy's combat range, its considered flanking and you would be given advantage on your attack rolls so long as you're still flanking. There are many other instances, and in some cases players may give themselves advantage and disadvantage, with the Dm's consent, for narrative reasons. Like, if a character was scared because they were going up against a scary enemy or someone from their past, the player could ask to give their character disadvantage on their rolls. Not everyone does it, and you don't have to either, but it can be a good way to tie narrative into combat in some circumstances if that's what you like to do. There will, of course, be instances where basic combat rules give you advantage and disadvantage.

Some more pointers on Advantage and disadvantage
Advantage and disadvantage don't stack. Say you're flanking with an ally, so you already have advantage, but an item you have gives you advantage on say sword attacks. You don't roll three times and take the biggest number, it'll always be two, no matter how many advantage or disadvantage you may have.

If you have disadvantage on a roll, but an item or some other circumstance gives you advantage, they cancel out and leave you with a straight roll. Same goes for the other way around.

Combat Round
In Dnd, each player's turn is happening in the span of six seconds. Its fast-paced movement, and each character is allowed an action and a bonus action. If you take the attack action, you get two swings, whether that be punches or slices, and a bonus action, which can be used with the attack action to get you a third attack. Using an item can either be an action or a bonus action, depending on what it is and how much time it takes. Again, I don't know how Kumii is working this into our combat system. It's a good chance the six seconds thing might not even apply, but it's still a good guideline for now to make sure you're not doing too much in one turn. The combat round ends when everyone's turn has gone in order, which I think for us is just gonna be posting order and goes back up to the top of the list for a new round.

I was talking to Kumii about metagaming before with this. Don't know if you read that or the example I used. But since its six seconds, the characters aren't always gonna be aware of everything that's happening around them. Again, it may not apply, but it's just good to be aware of metagaming in the new system, and in general.

Ability Scores and Modifiers
Along with your rolls, modifiers are a big thing to take into consideration and always remember. They can easily make or break an attack going up against an AC. All you're points count and even the slightest boost can make a difference.

Modifiers come from your ability scores. Strength, dexterity, intelligence, wisdom, charisma and constitution. Except here we have willpower instead of charisma. The stats here differ a lot from their dnd counterparts. We didn't go exactly the same, since it's not being run exactly like dnd. Everything outside of combat stays like it is without ability checks and whatnot, so we really only need ability scores for combat, so we really tailored it towards specific things. You've probably checked lore by now, but the first post in there has a list at the bottom of all the ability scores. Anyways, based on your characters skillset, your ability scores will range from higher to lower number. For example, in our combat system, Mateo would have less numbers on strength and dex and more on willpower, wis, and intelligence, because he doesn't use weapons like swords and daggers, things strength and dex are tailored towards. Additionally, he's more magic focused, and a cleric too, so willpower and the magic stats are where his dumping ground is gonna be at. It'll be different for each character based on what they're better at. Basically, it means that Mateo is gonna be shit with swords and daggers, which makes sense for him. I love the bean, but he's a flimsy, tall, nerdy teen. He ain't gonna have Rai's muscles lol So strength's not it for him. If it helps, you can think of ability scores as a numerical record of a character's training. What did they spend their year's worth of training on? Strength to wield and put force behind a sword? The dexterity to aim and throw ranged weapons? Or have they put their nose in a book to study magical applications? It's a good way to fill out ability scores this way, especially in something like this where it's not as strict as dnd.

Based on how high or low your ability scores are, you'll get different bonuses to your rolls. Basically, depending on how high or low your score is, you could get a plus or minus to your roll. Certain items can also add a plus or minus, though usually it's a plus. For instance, I haven't figured out everything about Mateo's sheet, but he'll most likely get some kind of added bonus from the phoenix book, because it's both a magic item and a drop from a boss. Loot like that will usually give you some type of added bonus, but not always if they have some type of affect. Like, the phoenix book won't give Mateo a ton of modifier boosters because it summons a creature that can do damage for him. You have to think about that before you go boosting all your modifiers because of a magical item. In real dnd, if an item does something, there's a good chance it'll have no modifiers attached to it. But obviously, there's some stuff we're taking and some we're leaving when it comes to dnd rules. Like, there's no leveling up here, so modifiers won't change and increase, especially the bad ones. So magic items giving us a mod boost is a good way to really show increase in the characters as the story progresses and get us a leg up on the tougher enemies, who will probably have good mods. The short of the long rambling here, it's just something to be mindful of as we go along. Here's the time where I apologize if I'm rambling or hammering in certain points a little too hard lol

Anyways, back to the actual modifiers, I don't know how Kumii's running the threshold for -1 or +1's, but that's the basics of how mods work. You're adding or subtracting points from your base roll that are based on your ability scores, aka what your character is good or bad at. If the ability score is a high enough number, you're really good at a particular skill, you'll get a bonus number to your roll. The same thing for when it's really low.
On this, for now, the AC of your character and enemies is what you need, since this is taking effect BEFORE the timeskip, everyone will need to roll that number to hit. We'll use the timeskip to add modifiers and ability scores to everyone so that combat becomes easier later on.

For now, modifiers take on the form of simply adding additional damage on top of the damage they would normally deal with their rolls.

This is simply to test the waters of the system and if it'll work with what we got planned.

Advantage and Disadvantage
Advantage and disadvantage is when the situation presents a second roll to your action. For advantage rolls, you roll two times for the same action, and take the roll with the higher number before modifiers. Disadvantage is the same deal, except you're taking the lower number of the two rolls. There could be many reasons why you get advantage. A good example is flanking in normal dnd. If you and an ally are across from each other in an enemy's combat range, its considered flanking and you would be given advantage on your attack rolls so long as you're still flanking. There are many other instances, and in some cases players may give themselves advantage and disadvantage, with the Dm's consent, for narrative reasons. Like, if a character was scared because they were going up against a scary enemy or someone from their past, the player could ask to give their character disadvantage on their rolls. Not everyone does it, and you don't have to either, but it can be a good way to tie narrative into combat in some circumstances if that's what you like to do. There will, of course, be instances where basic combat rules give you advantage and disadvantage.

Some more pointers on Advantage and disadvantage
Advantage and disadvantage don't stack. Say you're flanking with an ally, so you already have advantage, but an item you have gives you advantage on say sword attacks. You don't roll three times and take the biggest number, it'll always be two, no matter how many advantage or disadvantage you may have.

If you have disadvantage on a roll, but an item or some other circumstance gives you advantage, they cancel out and leave you with a straight roll. Same goes for the other way around.
Expect this in the group's first real encounter with Mr. Death Knight.

On this, for now, the AC of your character and enemies is what you need, since this is taking effect BEFORE the timeskip, everyone will need to roll that number to hit. We'll use the timeskip to add modifiers and ability scores to everyone so that combat becomes easier later on.

For now, modifiers take on the form of simply adding additional damage on top of the damage they would normally deal with their rolls.
I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you saying we're disregarding modifiers until timeskip and then we'll use them afterwards?

Expect this in the group's first real encounter with Mr. Death Knight.
Narrative advantage?

I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you saying we're disregarding modifiers until timeskip and then we'll use them afterwards?
The "+# to damage" modifiers next to the new characters i've made are all we're worrying about when it comes to hit rolling. If a character has a 15 AC, you have to roll a 15 or higher to hit with no modifiers. The modifiers now are only to additional. So if a character would've dealt 6 damage but they have a +3 damage modifier due to Intelligence, they would deal 9 damage instead.

I'm not sure how else to explain it, only that we're worrying about damage modifiers for now until after the timeskip.

Narrative advantage?
Narrative disadvantage to all our characters against him in the first enctouner.

We all get disadvantage against him is what I meant to say lol

I guess unless you otherwise state so..

fuck it, forget what I said xD Modifiers are in effect, otherwise it make Mystra a lot weaker lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back