• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern East Of Hell

Elephantom

Chicken Broth Paragon
NARRATOR There is white hot vengeance and black pistols, and people who want to murder, fuck and rape this sonuvagun river country to feed their own lies . . . and reporting this kill-war in far south, a real showdown of loathing, is one intrepid man from Glasgow— Scotland, Great fucking Britain— by the name of Käng!
He woke up again sometime during the afternoon, 3:00 PM— the town was called East of Hell by the foreigners and locals, and nothing as far as he was concerned, having come upon this town in a flurry of booze, heat stroke and discount dollar-store sandwiches, a .357 and his C. A. Bulldog to maim witless animals and road-show killers like Manson and Bundy but with a hitchhiker twist to it, and enough bullets to start a goddamn war. East of Hell, that was the town's name, a land in cold-blooded mire and filled with counterculture hate-brood reptiles, east of the river and the trenches of the bourgeoisie deep and the slave holdings of corporate America. War & Peace had nothing against it, paled in front of it, mobbed by pitchforks and crucifixes. The townies there saw two raging groups of hate on two sides separated by the big fence of bogged ceasefire: the Kore Ku Klux Klan, the new age KKK, sons of their fathers, sins of their fathers, come to take their dues; the nouveaux Black Panthers with their Cadillacs and old biker jackets and motorcycles, a product of an incestuous relationship between la révolution and the marxist blacks born from Malcolm speeches and the heart of South Africa by the name of Johannesburg and Apartheid; and the both of them living like the war'd just ended and that thing called law'd yet to come to fruition, revolvers drawn and ropes hand-knotted. The people who didn't care an inch about this pissed War & Peace just stared, as concerned as the never-knowing-better intrepid reporter named Käng. He looked around: there was redstone dirt from the badlands beneath him, blackened leather, an asphalt street, houses, lampposts taller than the buildings, elastic palm trees from the Miami-Dade police department and telegraph wires running down the road and hill slope.
He realized he wasn't on the felt seats of the Trabant 601, that swindling car, but on the cold ground— and he could feel the hurt all over his body: his teeth, his throat, ribs, guts, and his wrists. He remembered that one day he spent running down the car pools of Las Vegas chased around by Rudy's hardmen, almost lynched with a roll of tough as hell duct tape and a fountain post founded in Caesar's Palace, the greatest hotel in that district, got a hole punched in his jacket with a pocket knife . . . that was one thing, a hyper reality maybe, nothing even happened. This was reality he was facing now: I know what pain is, fuck. He was having a bad day and he knew it— and because he knew it, a fool, what a fucking fool, it was all the more painful— and he could not feel the cold of his Bulldog anywhere around his body, somewhere in the car probably, next to that sandwich he'd bought from the gas station store— Motley's—, but with the other, the .357 he'd carefully stored in his holster? Likewise carefully removed by the Panthers. What a fucking fool.
As soon as he woke up, the quiet of the late-hour-silenced, though sunny, town was broken by shouts— hoarse, drawn out, rusty like the gristle of earth on his sleeveless Tr. Tucker jacket that was fucked as fast as it was bought. He jerked back and they drew the rope tight around his neck— this was a bad case of Fear Syndrome, hysteria, the nervousness of radical racial undertones and amen to liberty, libertines and liberals except Käng didn't know anything and had nothing do with them, but maybe with the offal lot of those white knight people with their SMGs and dated WWII-era RPGs. He thrashed the ground and hands held him down, propped him still for the tallest of them, a negro, to arm a punch; the fist was lightning to his nerves, connected with his jaw and threw him off, almost, but the hands . . . the hands! He pushed his teeth with his tongue, none broken. An inch more and that would've been the case.
Käng spat out blood. “Why?” he said, tasting the copper in his mouth.
“You're one pert callahan, actor,” his assailant said.
He shook his head. “I'm not.”
The black man— schwarzer rassist— took him by the collars. “Why are you here then?”
“My car broke down.”
“I don't think so, actor. I think you're lying.”
“I'm not.”
He released his grip. “Do I look like I trust you?”
“I don't lie.”
“What makes you think I'm gonna take your word for it, actor?”
“Why?”
The negro eyed two knives at him. “What's your name?”
“Käng. I'm from Glasgow,” he said. “A type of driftwood.”
His brow furrowed. “I bet you know who I am.”
“Who are you?”
“Malcolm eleven.”
He squinted. “Wha?”
This was no negro— no thank you godforsaken sirrah—, but a seven feet giant in a diamond-studded leather jacket, huge pockets probably heavy with a serial-filed Beretta and a trench knife, in acid-washed Levi's jeans, in two boots from the surplus store of Sgt. Jackson straight from this black-white inferno called East of Hell. He had an eye for hot vengeance— one eye only, being the left, and the other gone, taken by a I'm uncultured— and it was hotter than the badlands off the precipice and the shallows downstairs of the town . . . and his aim was focused on rest-in-peace Mr. Käng.
“I'm the leader of the Black Panthers, actor, and this is—” he spread his arms around— “this is East of Hell you're in. You know how it works here?”
Käng glared. “I don't.”
“The way of southern justice!” he shouted and gestured at his men. The rope tightened, constricting, and then began to drag him toward the lamppost.
Käng tried to curse but gagged instead. Fuck. He was mighty fucked indeed.

The fates and gods were both equally cruel and equally ironic. Kitty stood upon the precipice of a local war, one she wasn't unfamiliar with, but had never actively sought out. Not like she was looking to wade into that mess, but damn she was literally standing on the dividing line. A small ball, barely larger then a marble, flashed an unholy black from the palm of her hand and a deep sigh of regret crawled its way out of her lungs. This was the way.

Kitty had followed the winding path of her quarry for about two weeks now. She wasn't in any hurry since she enjoyed the chase, but now that she was so close to her home town, she couldn't get this bad taste out of her mouth. East of Hell had always been a place of tension and the river was a tense neutral zone. Kitty knew she didn't belong to either side, not really, but some places were better than others. She parked the beat up ride she had lifted from some punk back in New Mexico, where she first caught the sent of her prey, and headed towards the rundown old diner.

The bell inside tingled and the plump, older woman behind the counter turned with a toothy grin.

"Welcome, sug!"

The sincerity left her face as she got a good look at Kitty. She wasn't sure if it was her ripped, too-short-for-a-proper-lady shorts or her currently aquamarine hair that offended the woman more, but it almost made Kitty laugh. Instead, she grinned and sat on the red bar stool.

"Hello, ma'am. I was hoping you could set me up with some hot coffee."

The woman gave a polite nod, but hesitated a beat.

"Imma need you to pay for that now, missy."

Kitty did laugh at that before pulling a few bills out of her pocket. She tossed a five down.

"Keep the change, ma'am."

She sniffed before grabbing it, tacking on a 'thank you kindly' for good measure. Bitch. Kitty eyed the diner and took note that it wasn't busy at all, in fact she was the only one in there beside a cook in the back she could barely see.

The coffee was placed in front of her and she grabbed three packets of creamer, dumped them in then poured about two tablespoons of sugar. The woman pretended to wipe some glasses, looking at Kitty's offending appearance as little as possible. Kitty took a few sips of her coffee, leaving black lipstick stains on the outside of the rim, enduring the waves of distaste rolling from the woman before she pulled a piece of paper from her pocket.

"Ma'am. I was hoping you might be able to help me. Ya see I'm looking for a friend of mine. Well I say friend, but more like an acquaintance ya see."

Kitty put the piece of paper on the table. It had a name and car model written in quick scrawls and an odd stain on the corner.

"His names Käng and he's driving some shitty old car called a Trabant or some shit."

The lady glanced at the paper, sniffer like a bitch, then shook her head with contempt.

"Nah, I ain't never heard of no Ken like that. Sounds like a ni-"

The bell of the diner rang out and she transformed before Kitty's eyes. She greeted the three young men, all white with a telltale look about them. They were a specific type that made Kitty grimace. She snatched the paper from the counter and stood up to go. Her seer was about out of juice so she'd have to keep looking else where and she really didn't want to mess with skinheads.

At first the guys didn't take notice of her as they greeted the now friendly woman, but that soon changed as she made for the exit. One of the men, boys really, grabbed her shoulder.

"Well, well, damn miss, don't get many of your kind round here. What brings you to our neck the woods?"

Kitty was about to spit out an answer when the woman chimed in.

"She was looking for some black fella named Ken. Told her no one like that has ever stopped foot in my place."

A low whistle and some laughter from the peanut gallery lit Kitty up, but she didn't have much time to react before an arm was wrapped around her and she was pulled against the assholes body aggressively. There was a tinge of anger in his voice.

"Sounds like we got a regular slut, if you let any old animal inside you. How about I show what we do to women who...cross that line."

He whispered the last part dangerously low, but so his friends could hear. The other two chuckles darkly in agreement and the woman behind the counter shook her head.

"Outside boys, I don't want you messing up my diner."

They were already dragging Kitty to the door. This had definitely taken a turn, one she wasn't too thrilled about. That fucking bitch.

"You bastards have no idea what you're fucking with."

Kitty said as she was led with little resistance. One of the boys smacked her ass from behind and she jumped, causing them all to break into laughter this obviously wasn't new to them. They didn't lead her far, just to the back side of the diner. The leader shoved her down and forward to her knees and she caught herself with her hands.

"Turn around slut."

She heard the sound of a belt unbuckling and she reached to her own belt, unsheathing her tigers claw before pivoting around and burying the knife just above his groin. A guttural gasp escaped him before she tore up to his navel. A sickening squelch sounded as blood and piss spilled out of him and one of his friends let out a cry of alarm.

Their leader fell to his knees clutching his spilling innards as Kitty pulled her M1911 with an oyster pommel and aimed it at dumbass number two. The shot rang out as it tore through his neck and he collapsed, bleeding and grasping at his neck futilely. Kitty laughed, blood splattered on her arms and legs from her first victim. She turned to lucky number three who already had a growing wet spot on his jeans. She stepped on lucky number one, getting her combat boots covered in blood, before walking over to the now shaking boy.

"Y-you're psycho...!"

She brought her drenched hand and stroked his cheek, causing him to squeak in fear.

"No dear, I'm your worst nightmare."

She then took her tigers claw and tore through his jugular. He fell to the ground, bleeding out with his friend. They only had seconds left, but her first victim was still alive, for a little longer. He was in shock though. She kicked him from his knees to his back and then sat on his chest.

"Thanks motherfucker. Now you serve a purpose."

From an apothecary's on her belt she produced a mixture of crushed leaves and gunpowder and, with almost no effort, forced open his jaw. He seemed to come to his senses long enough to start screaming, but the mixture was shoved into his mouth. He bit down on her hand, but she barely flinched. She pulled her hand away, kept his jaw closed and, with the blood on her hand, drew an eye on his forehead.

"Hate, evil, everything vile in your departing soul is now mine. Leave this vessel and come to me. I command thee."

Her voice took on a darker, huskier tone as she repeated this three times. She also produced a small, almost clear marble. As she finished the third utterance, black smoke started to pour from the boys eyes, ears and mouth, like his insides were on fire. Kitty held the marble closer and it seemed to suck in the smoke, filling the marble. Under her, his body thrashed around and she grinned her black lipped grin.

Soon it was all quiet in the back. She stood up, brushed off her knees and hands, pocketed her knife and marble and headed for the back entrance. Kitty kicked open the back door and turned to the only cook in the back. He shouted out, but her gun was already leveled with his head and she watched it pop. The woman at the front started screaming as Kitty came to the front, but all her screaming and pleading meant nothing to Kitty.

"Oh bless your heart ma'am. You were so sweet I just had to return the favor."

Kitty shot her in the leg, the stomach and lastly she shot her in the heart, but not before dumping her still hot coffee on her. Afterwards Kitty took the tapes from the security cameras, grabbed the money from the cash register and cleaned herself off as best she could. Kitty climbed back into the lowered Honda Civic she had lifted, pressed down on the clutch and teared down the street away from the massacre.

Kitty passed dilapidated building after dilapidated building, thankful for the tints of the windows. She knew she'd never be welcome in this part of town and if she wasn't jumped immediately, she'd be harrassed shortly afterwards. She had heard stories about this place, but she didn't worry about mortal men. Kitty turned a corner onto a back street while her marble pulsated with a black light, leading her closer and closer to the man she was looking for. The first thing she noticed was the car on the side of the road, hood popped. The second was the gang of black men, beating on and dragging some poor idiot to a lynching post.

As the pulsating became more intense, she realized this must be the guy she had been chasing down since New Mexico. Fucking hell. It only took Kitty a beat to shift from second to third, slam on the gas and aim for the group of men. She saw the realization hit a few of them before she pulled up on the emergency brake, shifted to the clutch and drifted into the group. The thuds of the bodies against the side of the car made her black lips spread into a grin as with a flick the back seat drivers side door flew open.

Kitty hoped she hadn't taken the man she had been chasing out when she barrelled into the group, but if her estmations were correct she was right beside him.

"Get in asshole!"

She shouted as she reached for the M1911 besides her and rolled down the window. Now Kitty wasn't the best shot, but she could get the job done. The flash and echoing cachopany filled her car as she aimed for the largest figure she could see. This was going to end very badly if that asshole didn't jump in, but she had already tossed the gun to the side and was shifting to drive away.

Last edited:
‘Why, general, we people up north have regarded the Ku-Klux as an organization which existed only in the frightened imagination of a few politicians.’—INTERVIEW WITH NATHAN BEDFORD FORREST, in response to the interviewee's condemnation of Mr. Brownlow, [Cincinnati Commercial, August 28, 1868 (also 40th Congress, House of Representatives, Executive Documents No. 1, Report of the Secretary of War, Chapter X, Page 193)]

NARRATOR Mr. KÄNG— he's standing . . . no, he's sitting, sleeping, forced down by the big black band ensemble, leather motorcycle gloves and piercing glares tight and angry as the ruler of hell hisself. He was there, nevertheless, getting beaten to an inch of his life. The six o'clock high noon mad dog getting eased for a hanging worthy of the local newsletter. A big motherfucking finger to the KKKK, the teenage babes of the older and deader dixiecrats. They're trying to lynch him and hang him and do some frontier justice like they used to do in the old days . . . then there's bullets flying and whizzing and hitting the red dirt beside him. You don't expect that, that kind of desperate luck. This resigned fool certainly didn't: the .45 ACP round goes an inch past his head and hits a lurching goon in the arse and sends him to the ground; that's the best he can come up with, his vision being too bloody red, but he knows one thing sure, heard it clear in the air. It's this or that, Mr. Käng, foot it.​

A FEW DAYS Earlier,

“Crowley,” Käng said, tipping his hat.

“Käng.”

He sat down on the bench. “Why'd you call me?” It was a warm morning, just around the twelve sharp mark in the clock, warmer than normal; the ready-made shirt tugging at his waist and his steadily forming paunch was drenched around the back and stuck to the skin like a summer swamp leech.

“How are you?” Crowley— big, fat, hairy asshole, portrait of a government minstrel friar— said.

He scratched his back— it itched like shit— and frowned. “Is that it?”

“Just asking,” he said, smirked. “Think of it as a prelude.”

“To what?”

“Have you ever been to the Strasbourg Cathedral, Käng?”

“I fail as a traveler.”

“I went there once, when I was younger, and tell you what, I thought it was one big pile of shit.” He chuckled. “I never was the arsty sort.”

Käng looked him over. “Not even now.”

Crowley nodded. “It was dark, mysterious but in a bad way— ignorance, really, human ignorance. I was young—”

“I know that.”

“You remember Ms. Lou?”

“I do.”

Crowley sighed. “I've got a lead on her and you might like it,” he said.

They were sitting underneath the brick red pavilion, their usual spot, on elm wood chairs and a rickety old platform. The call for horror was in the air, a steady roll of fear sharpened to the edge of a mujahideen pulwar. “What's the deal?”

“I'll be frank, Käng—”

“What?”

He hesitated again. “There's trouble in a town and I want you to deal with it. You get something, I get something.”

Käng never did remember getting employed but Crowley had both the paper and the signature. What if I don't agree? “What trouble?”

Crowley grunted. “The Strasbourg architect's son continued the tradition, built another church.”

“Where?”

“Just near the first one.”

“And?”

“The boy's name was Gerlach and he later had an apprentice by the name of Herrman Trauk.”

“Trauk?”

“He built the Low Cross in the country, this country.”

“I know him.”

“Hermann, Benson's adopted godfather—”

“Or his dead god.”

“He killed the Strasbourg man and fled here, leaving his mentor Gerlach behind.”

“I don't understand.”

“The reports get muddy after this, but Trauk used to be with the Hood Cabal, some shifty organisation in France, and the Freemason Major before he came to the USA and introduced himself to Mr. Nathan Bedford Forrest— yes, that man, you know him, everybody here does. He joined the KKK, as an honorary member, and bred a bastard son . . . ”

“What else?”

“He died an early death but his son— named himself Trauk too after his father— stayed on. He served with the dixiecrats for a while and the second wave KKK but retired soon afterward to a small village called Fen's East. That's where our reports get muddy.”

“That old?”

He nodded. “That old.”

“What happened then? What's with this town?”

“Bastard Trauk's son, John Trauk, took over the town and after the KKK died down, he took up his father's former mantle.”

“Why?”

“If I knew, man, I wouldn't have called you here.”

“Huh.”

“There's been sightings of organised violence and heavy weapons in that town, as well as the new Black Panthers—”

“What?”

“Backed by the French and a delusional maniac called—”

“The Holy Terror.”

“Holier than thou.”

“Who?”

“Whatever Forrest or Herrman told that bastard to do— if I knew, I wouldn't have called you over.”

“Seems too coincidental to me.”

“My sentiments exactly.”

“Why me?”

“Well.” He grinned. “You've always been a flytrap for the weird.”

He shut his eyes. He could feel the weird, the corpse high, coming. “That all?”

“That all.”

The leap was glorious, the timpani in his head throbbing, his throat barely keeping that hound's shout in. The dirt flew, his heels dug in, and he lifted himself off from the ground; he didn't even question, why? At least, not right then.

The negroes were shouting, panicking— keep your head down, fools, the giant said, you're not gonna get away with that gunny of yours, actor—, going for cover. Käng was lucky but he didn't know it. He was luckier than he thought— lucky enough to make sure those bad guys in black tights were watching five jeeps, 4X4s and armoured sedans, and not a little girl with blue hair and a shrill voice thin enough to be heard above the vocal menace. His lurch took him front, into the backseat, straight diving in as the car began to take off.

He rustled inside and the door shut behind him; the force of the car or the force of his jump, but either way, there was a bang and a clash and his head was hurting like shit. Not as much as his throat, wrists, ribs or his busted lips, but . . . he sat up and looked at the interior of the car— Honda, he almost sneered— and then at the driver: blue hair, redder vision, and a groan threatening to break out. Instead, he said: “Why?”

Kitty's adrenaline was on overdrive and she could feel the excitement swelling within her chest as her bullet fire was returned and the chaos ensued. A bullet scrapped by, shattering the passenger side window. Her movements were fluid though and as soon as she heard the thump of a body inside, she floored it. There was a discernible bump as they drove over some poor sap who managed to wedge himself in front of car. Through the shattered window you could even hear the sickening crunch and then Kitty's laughter rose up. Her wheels skid for only a moment before they teared down the street, her rear end fish tailing a bit before she steadied it out. A few more bullets hit the car and then the revving of engines joined the cacophony. She took a second to glance her back mirror and a toothy grin spread from ear to ear. The fire fight had turned from her to the Jeeps, like fucking tanks, barreled towards the insanity.

Kitty heard the croaking of the man behind her, beat to shit and bloodied. Why? It was the funniest question really. Why do anything in this fucked up world. Her cackling died down, but her grin never left her. She didn't answer though, focused on getting as far from the blood bath as possible. Two in one day was surprising, but she kind of loved it. When the two were about ten blocks away and the chaos was a distant din, she pulled into a desolate alley and stopped with a lurch. She turned around in her seat, her pupils still dilated, almost obscuring her grey irises.

"Why, Mr. Käng? Because I'm fucking awesome."

She laughed again before kicking open the drivers door, grabbing her gun and climbing out. She opened the back door and looked him up and down, as if assessing him.

"Damn, they really beat you to shit? What the fuck did you do?"

Not that she had done anything earlier, wrong place, wrong time. She popped open the apothecary satchel on her hip and dug around a bit before pulling out a glass bottle filled with a shimmering, white substance. "Here we go." Kitty muttered before leaning forward and handing it to him. "This tastes like ass, but it'll help your pain so you don't go into shock or some shit."

Kitty then pulled her phone out and pressed the second speed dial on her phone. Her gun was still in her hand and while she wasn't actively watching him at the moment, the gun was firm and pointed slightly towards him. She couldn't just have him running off on her now, not after all this time. The line connected and she heard the telltale voice of her lovely friend.

"Nora! Sug, I got him. Bit of mess down here though, where you at?"

A few mhm's later and Kitty was slamming the door shut and climbing back into the driver's seat. She took off again, but this time at a more reasonable pace, even go so far as to obey traffic signals. She kept glancing in the mirror at Käng though and giving a coy smile every now and again. Soon the pair was pulling up to a lovely funeral home. Kitty parked, turned around and stared intently at Käng for a solid five seconds.

"You need a safe place to stay and lay low. Trust me?"

Kitty cocked her head slightly and waited for his response. She wasn't going to just bring him into Nora's place before making sure he wasn't going to completely lose his head. Not that he was in much of a bargaining position, but sometimes that's when human's got more interesting and unpredictable.

A FEW YEARS AGO,

I, being suffer'd with the incontinence of modern society,—
benignly, wicked, and wrack'd with hypocrisy,—
now set out to persuade my instincts,
of the non-perverse and perverse of the lands beneath me,
in verse and ink and vellum and tools of Man,
with quill, mind and the memories I have,
with the will of the gods and fate and everything else,
to craft an image of this country and its natural tales;

This is the fall of the year's,
this curse'd season,
and, blithely, I write,
sitting here in treason,
and 'pon my wake & desk:
it is peaceful, silent,
but drap'd with burdens,
being my avatar of wilderness,
a descendant of the lost races,
again in 1979 of Sept. 30,
then me, my reflection,—
a garrulous writer,—,
in his youn'er years,—
a pretender & pretendee,
without any peer or pupil,—
to craft an image of this country,
and its natural histories;

Again:
1979, Sept. 30,
it is the fall of the seasons,
the air is blithe and the leaves are wroth,
and sitting 'pon the pavement afore,
is the Brueur Building, of yon New York,
in this city, city of rats,
there is me, this bat,
Garrulous Mr. Crowley Mt.,
called a wild crow or the Crown
by friends and families and pawns;

And as to his purpose,
that was no mystery,
he dwelt in his notebooks,
and in secret service,—
wrote of the artefact,
in the years to come after,
this . . . building, being his lenscrafter,
he was a chronicler of esteemed and self-esteemed proportion,
and his nightly days made good use of the strays,
of Montreal, then Phoenix, then Vegas, then here,
now at the bowels of this dead city living,
being the woodlands of Weir,
here he is,
a sallow and drained husk, livid,
deathly, you see,
and with the eyes of madmen,
a being of as closed solitude,
as the city itself,
and its shameless ignominy,
and citizen libertines,
a man who dealt hands of hedonic dao,
and observed those who excelled in such humane meters;

There, standing, lurking over as a vulture does over a corpse,
is this citizen of France,
from a copse of blood and ghastly dance,
by the name of Malcolm XI,
in his leather, of Hell's Angels fame,
and his big game gun,
dangling down a holster,
and acid-washed jeans,
looking boorish,
for the moors' sake;

Malcolm XI of France,
said to this stranger friend,
“Whit art ye, I say,
have tae gain from this taking,—
I say, on which account do ye partake now?”;

His companion,—
being me,—
said back:
“A produce monologue,
ye fellow brethren,
do ye not partake in violence too,
tae satiate whate'er misled go'rnance,
ye have o'er life,
and the life of o'ers?”;

He frowned,
yet his voice was still,
then he grunted,
stared at me, steely eyes,
my pen and myself,
and said,
“Ye art true, my friend,
but taking no account of yer solipsism,
hypothetically I say—”;

“My practice is no solipsism,
being that I merely observe solipsism itself,”
I said, and then I spake again:
“Do I practice my practice?
I am no libertine, ye see,
yet I have tae oblige my hypocrisy, ye see.”;

“Goodness' sakes.”;

“It is only normal for some people, man,”
said my reflection;

“What is there tae see here?
Explain tae me, my friend,
but with words belonging tae mortals.”;

“There is Man,
being you and me,
and what greater testament,
is there tae Man,
than their creations?”;

“Man itself, no?”;

“But, my friend,
we art of little transparency,
invisible tae our own eyes.”;

“And should that not apply,
tae yer pon'erings,
of the man-made,
and the man-made itself?”;

“I am Man, say—”;

“Ye art Man, see.”;

“Then, say, ye art this Man.”;

“I am this Man then.”;

“And what do ye do?”;

“I dwell in this violence ye spake of earlier.”;

“Why do ye do that?”;

“Why do I do that?”;

“Yes, fellow.”;

“I suppose, then, ye art right.”;

“It is the action of man, being the man-made, the reflection of their core. Now, why do ye kill?”;

“Do I kill because it is a testament tae my being?”;

“Ye do.”;

“That is utter horseshit.”;

“It is,”

I say, sigh,
and gesture at this Building afore me,
looking over littler men,
faceless but a testament,
and witness all the same;

I say:
“This country, my fellow, America,
is the reflection of human vices,
a testament tae humanity at large,
and I seek tae capture it.”;

“Ye could have said that from the start.”;

“But where is the joy in that?”;

AND NOW,

This man in ire,
called Mr. Käng,
shook about the fire,
of the pistols and anger,
then called hither,
among the rash drive,
the womyn who had rescued,
his being,—
he, in the confines of the vehicle,
the Honda Civic so loathed,
the premodern,
in pain and gritted teeth,
recovered from the concussed vision,
of having hit his head,
of having died near about,
strangled or lynched or hanged,
on a lamppost;

He'd earlier said to her . . . ,
Why (art thou saving me!) !;
and, she,
after they drove down,
the length of the street,
away from the bullets,
and the Panthers,
with her blooded teeth,
and her ominous eyes,
said, or answered back:
“Ye say, and it so,
'cause I'm blasted awe-worthy.”;

He did not say anything,
for he was in pain,
but he grunted,
and lay'd down,
'pon the rear seat,
but watched as she exited her car,
with the fists and toes,
and some fool's grin,
she spake:
“The gods forbid,
this happen to my enemy,
what'd ye do, ser?
to get tonk'd as ye art?”;

He made to speak,
but held his tongue,
for the girl lent her,
medicine from her satchel,
or so Käng hoped it was,
and then she said,
“'here ye go . . . ,
this tastes like arse,
but ye've the best of it.”;

Käng muttered,
“Aye, ye, much obliged,”
and he took this,
murky liquid,
to dispense of in secret,
down a nook of the seat,
or perhaps the dirt,
but he was illusioned much to know,
proper and clear,
but who be he to to shower trust,
'pon everyone?
Goodness' sake!,
mused he;

This Mr. Käng looked on,
as the bastard womyn,
cobalt hair and of youth,
but nothing to say of in her eyes,
which spake of early maturity,
talked on her contraption,
but he could not hear much,
being incapacitated,
a broken rib,
a cranium,
an elbow,
a kneecap?
someone other than him,
knows best;

She got back,
and in the term of this duration,
spent driving,
she looked back,
and stared at Mr. Käng,
and said:
“We art to stay low'th,
and in sanctuary, ye need to,—”;

Doubt & Redoubt,
thought Käng;

“—Trust me!”;

And Käng murmured,
in equal:
“I 'ave yet to be brought to clarity,
so, ye'll be suspect awhile,”
but it was strained and quiet,
and so remained a thought only;

But, alas;​

The low tones of the injured man barely reached her ears, but it made her smile soften from her slightly more manic one. She felt the adrenaline leaving her body and her temperament evening out as she stepped out of the car. She opened the passenger door and held out a hand to him.

“Come on.”

*~*

“Come on!”

The woman above her yelled as she held out her hand. Kitty didn’t even wait to respond, she grabbed her hand, jumped to her feet and the two were off, leaving some broken men cursing after them. Kitty felt her left eye swelling already and the bruises forming. She had gotten into a fist fight after drinking too much and while three men were usually no big deal for her, she hadn’t expected the surprise additions. Now she was finger-locked with a random woman who had smashed a bottle over one of their heads.

The two probably ran three blocks before they stopped, gasping for air. They looked at each other then burst into laughter.

“Are you always that friendly?”

“More often then I should be.”

Kitty said with a smirk. Then the two were at her studio apartment, bodies interlocked as they made their path to the bed. It was bliss, for the first time in a long time.

“I’m Cherie.”

“I’m Kitty.”

Kitty sat outside a park, wondering how she had found herself in one place for longer then a week. The sounds of her voice called out though and she remembered why. The two held hands as they walked around the pond, laughing and chatting. Still, demons never truly rested. From the bushes men attacked, armed and ready to kill. She shoved Cherie away as pulled out her tiger’s claw and ripped into their flesh. Their blood washed away into the pond and she wiped it from her face.

“I think I love you. . .”

“. . .”

Kitty turned away and ran a hand through her hair. Fuck, she was dumb. It was just under a month and she was spouting nonsense. A hand tentatively rested on her shoulder and she looked back at her red haired love.

“I. . .can’t respond. Not now.”

Kitty nodded and stood up from the bed, grabbing her t-shirt from the ground and sliding it over her head.

“It’s okay. I’m going to run to the store, need anything?”

Cherie shook her head and Kitty smiled softly down at her before placing a kiss on her forehead. She pulled her shorts on and ran out the door. Halfway out of the apartments parking lot she realized she forgot her wallet. She pulled back in and ran back up the stairs. Quietly opening the door she was surprised to hear Cherie talking.

“. . .keep doing this, Connor!”

Kitty’s eyes widened at that name, but crept forward, staring at Cherie’s back.

“She’s absolutely insane and now she’s in love with me! I didn’t sign up for this.”

“. . .”

“It’s almost been a month now, you said it was just a month.”

“. . .”

“Yes, don’t worry, I can keep her here until you get here, but promise me you’ll do it soon. It makes my skin crawl every time I have to touch that fucking demon.”

“. . .”

“I love y-”

Her words were cut off as a dagger jammed itself into the side of her neck. Kitty’s normally grey eyes were pitch black as she slowly carved through her neck. Blood gurgled out as the phone dropped. Tears from her eyes as she stared into Kitty’s. Her body hit the bed and blood started to pool as Kitty grabbed the phone.

“Hello, Connor. Long time, no talk.”

“Where is Cherie, Katherine?”

“Cherie’s a bit. . .disposed of. If you’re going to come after me, come after me. I’ll be waiting.”

“Wait-”

Kitty hung up the phone and threw it at the wall before grabbing a few of her belongings and heading out the door.

*~*

Kitty helped her British query climb out of the car and let him lean against her body as she helped him towards the mortuary. Instead of walking through the front though, she led him to the back and helped him up, noting every wince and hoping that a little magic and some of Nora’s insight might help get him back up to functioning order.

Kitty kicked open the door and led him to the bed. She helped him lay down and did a quick visual check, leaning down close to his face, as she gently lifted his chin. The burn marks were set from the rope. Kitty was about to start poking and prodding him when Nora swung herself onto the scene, grabbing her friendly bottle and plopping on the couch.

“Nora! You are a sight for sore eyes. Are you any good at fixing living people? He’s pretty fucked up.”

She said with a playful laugh as she looked back at Mr. Käng. She thought about tossing in a wink, but figured he wasn’t in a mood to appreciate it.

“JANUARY 13, ++++, xxx; MALCOLM XI was quick to receive my phone after I called him one late afternoon from a telephone booth at some place, amidst the blooded crowds— Jeet Kune Do of New York City, monochrome and steel and glass— and our conversation could be held to the sum of all warm-blooded pleasantry exchanges . . . of course, I had met him before, reporting the Hell's Angels as they sacked the East Down (see: FOLDER III, QUARTO I, 2003, SERIAL: 6166) District. He was the late informant (see: ‘character’ DOSSIER 119) of that incident, what you call it, those Days of Rage . . . ”
— CROWLEY (JANUARY 13, FOLDER III, QUARTO II, 2004, SERIAL: 9203)

The barrenness of the city houses, the streets and the deathly asphalt hid the insidious innards of the wabash semi-trailer packed to the brim with top secret files and bleeding edge computers— 24 TBs of hot ram—, parked against the sidewalk next to Greely's Bar, watching the festering boils of civilization drown in the red dirt, overlooked by the monolith that was the Low Cross peering over the mountains in the opposite, deeper south. The town hadn't always been like this: the best place to get a pewter jug of root beer come 1969, just after hell called Nixon broke loose, but it hadn't been too long to let the cynicism seep in. Not too short either to keep the shocker on everyone. A few months late, the eve of Christmas, and everyone had forgotten about the bloody deaths— a momentary gasp, suppose glancing a headline from the Saturday newspaper, nothing much more. The people kept to their daily tedium, some praising their benefactor the coal mines, others rousing themselves from sleep early in the morning to raise effigies against and for the Fertiliser and the Seed . . . except, the government had cut off their public fundings to pay for the $183,000 for the direct action and the rages, a tyranny in disguise espoused by men like him and Jacobine and Bosebite— at that time, and even holding positions of influence now, being the secretary of defence for Mr. Nixon and the other being the military lieutenant general who went by the title of ‘Witchfinder’, clad in moral blacks, being villains with their actions against the city and him, perhaps—, and along with the steady withdrawal of tourism. The years disguised the idealism or the detachment of the people: only spacious emptiness remained to see against the hooded neon sun and the silhouettes of the faraway, lone-digging willow trees and nothing much else beside the badlands, red dirt cities and termite mounds, gone the long ago fanfare and the liveliness of country towns. A few miles over the LeVay mountains, forty latitudes and parallels down with a sextant, you have this world-dammed East Of Hell— and take it a notch towards the north, a notch left to the river, and you have this town. It was a different league of country, Red Country like all but still; yet the people passed by, buildings passed by, and they'd rather keep to themselves than bat more than five eyelashes. He was now back again after those years spent travelling the northern counties and states. Crowley Mt. had been here once, with Malcolm XI shortly before he'd left for France, and it'd been an ideal city. The ideal South, some would say. Yet again, he was not the gunman he used to be and so wasn't the city. The similarity was bitter on the tongue.

He walked outside the door, witnessed by gnomes covered in blood, carrying pitchforks, pitched in line formations on the natural turf. They stared at him with their beady goblin eyes . . . eyes that had earlier seen crimes carried out in broad daylight— by that time, he'd finished brushing his teeth, licking his skin over a pissed headache and a desire to avoid his occupation, which was stated on the plate IV to the door leading to the office, this transport compartment, GOD BLESS YOU, when they had nothing to do with god— with the trailer mainframes and the Trabi's temporary owner. The trailer was drab, rotten: paint strewn about hastily, stripping off from the metal with the wind's harsh cries; to the point of break down, red with enough rust to hide it in the wide open of Red Country without anyone knowing the better. It was no government vehicle, for sure, and it was far below Crowley's own cheques and monies, but that was the intent. The people avoided you if you had the givings of a redneck— or colloquially, white trash— and that was his plan. The contrary state was that they did their wonders, like that sign said, and they did their job but no god helped them in return. This mystic lord of Red Country, of the Low Cross, was detached: a surgeon performing an appendectomy he knows he's going to be proud of but which he's unable to affect beyond that of his work. Back then it was the same surgeon, in all his dreamed glory, in all his hysterical madness, come free from the confines of Red Country somehow and eager to cross Crowley Mt— laid before this officer the remnants of a massacre . . . the Days of Rage, a not-singular testament to the violence of the early days and the beginnings, the history, of this hell. East of Hell, that's what they called it. The fact was straight, GOD or no GOD, there was dark business exchanging hands and white fists, beyond the government businesses— nobody minded the South but there was something special with Herrman Trauk's grander-than-grand son, of the Low Cross fame, and the onus he took trying to cross the Low Cross of/off the Red Country map, taking his father's Djinn-blessed white mantle. It was a collection of horror: the renewed white supremacists and some terrorist cell from France who had hands on Belgium armaments. But it was still just another job among many and he'd been the one to draw the short stick.

His sierra brown bowling shirt hung loose over his paunch, dragged to the back by the breeze; underneath, he wore a blue knockoff designer t-shirt and, below, work pants cheap at half the price. He looked the part: hair a mess, eyes dirty and mouth dirtier, and twin trails of bound beard running down the face. He was anonymous nowadays, just another sick joe coming to the northern southlands to get treatment for appendicitis or drug abuse or whatever ailed the men stuck between the new age and the old school. His destination, Greely's bar, was a one-three-six feet and larger chrome pad, low-lying and hugging the feet of the pavement. A gutter of piss and sewage trailed the path from the door and went down streetside water channels. There, etched on the top, in plastic, was the bar's name, being Greely's personal institution for wisdom and xen-zen against freak aliens and for the sake of xenophobic peace. Crowley Mt. saw the truth, his computers saw the truth: this was nothing more than a hive of Discord and other such human failings, a front for moral dissonance and verisimilitude of virtue but within lying a comically distorted caricature of the human Self. He should've taken him out when he had the chance.

Crowley entered the diner. Greely, some years older but not a single day aged, greeted him with glance— faint recognition and then a mental shrug— and went back to wiping the tables.

“Not e'en a greeting, sir?” said Crowley, shuffling into one of the stools lined across the counter.

Greely kept wiping the tatty chrome surface. “You're a stranger, friend—” a proud declaration almost but said with world-weariness— “what are you doing here?”

“Just travelling.”

“I ain't got a mind to care about your business, but tell me, friend, are you a fucking fool or something?”

Crowley stared him in the eyes. “Why'd I be a fool now?”

“I wager my bills,” he said, “that you don't know nothing about what's going on around these parts?”

Crowley relaxed. “Well, sir, what's going on around these parts?”

Greely stopped his wiping, grunted and looked at him. “Some rodeo shootout, they says. I don't know much about it and I don't care.”

“Where's the best place to stay around here?”

“None, friend, but Bovary'll take you in for a few weeks provided toy pay a settlement fee.”

“That sounds reasonable.”

“Anything else?”

“Are there any utility shops?”

“A few. Most people get by here with Ted's hardware shack or the K-Mart just down the road stuck to the highway.”

“What about law enforcement.”

“Scarce.” He frowned. “Now, you gonna order something?”

Crowley squinted. “Fine, sir, been travelling a lot and I'm aching for some food.”

“What'll you have?”

Crowley looped a hand around his belt, close to his holster— a .44 Automag capable of levelling people with single shots— underneath the shirt. “I'm hungry, sir,” he said.

His brow furrowed. “What?”

“Fuck it.” He stood up and trained the pistol on Greely. “Forgotten, Karl? Too much for your own good?”

“Shit—”

The bullet sent fragments of pink bone, blood, brains splattering the other side of the counter. His head flopped, he jerked, and hit the heated grill.

Crowley could taste the blood, the cooked brains, in the air. “Shit.” He spat on the floor and scrammed for the exit.

Käng could've complained— he didn't like getting manhandled— but he figured it'd be useless. The last time he whined, Rudy'd near taken his ears off, and god knows why he didn't go through with it: this was luck, a league of luck, and why him? He was a tourista, no use for anything save spouting facts about America's culture that only a tourist, and a British tourist at that, would find interesting enough. He had little merits beyond his Scottish descent and citizenship with the British Isles, and littler with his encounters in the past— the Son of Sam, that goddamned son of a gun.

The girl was in a high of her own and she wasn't going to listen to anyone. This was the peyote high, dreamlands, seventh circle— who was she? What was she doing here? And what was he doing here? No use arguing. Too many questions to settle in the fifty seconds he had to expend his breath and say, for one last time, Why? It wouldn't mean much, probably would've gotten hollow assurances. He heaved and let her pick him up. He'd seen better days, worse days too, but this wasn't it for him. A wild beatdown was what he deserved and what he'd gotten, and what he'd get in the near future too.

“Fuck,” he said, under his breath, as he was unceremoniously plopped down on the sofa. He glanced out of the corner of his eyes, watched as the woman got a bottle and sat down. Of course, she was no lady, no lady of this Red Country: far too brash, not too sick, but with that gleam of anarchy embedded in her eyes. Some foreigner like him. It was a new complication. He wondered what Crowley'd say about this.

“Nora! You are a sight for sore eyes. Are you any good at fixing living people? He’s pretty fucked up,” the woman said, to her friend. He turned and looked at her, and then at the sofa where he was lying, beat up hard. This flea-bitten old couch, reserved for the dead, elderly or the fucking lazy. One of three— and, judging by his benefactor's words, it was the former. Fuck, he thought, bisections.

With difficulty, and one or five grunts and groans— enough to make a man lose dignity, but he didn't have much of that in the first place—, he propped himself up on the sofa, and then he said, eyeing the two women: “What's the deal here?”

Last edited:
‘the day of reckoning calls for salvation by the human flesh and the youth and the energies I will eat FELLOW man thank you gods’
— KARL DENKE (THE FORGOTTEN CANNIBAL), THE VERSES.

That man should've never lived in the first place, or if he had, he should've been killed, god's grace willing: death by accident, strangulation, or victimised in the events of an ignominious robbery gone the south end on 47th of Yakima, Washington. Or, he never should've lived the whole damn lives he'd lived and taken: death during childbirth, both mother and son. Crowley regretted killing Karl— he regretted not killing him earlier, regretted killing him now with a dirty gun and a pouch full of dum-dums, not even saying what he'd rehearsed in his mind a few hundred times before waking up and sending Mr. Käng and his bastard gun off to his funeral . . . he contemplated: no funeral for the killed here, for Greely rotting self in his broke bar with no one out to look for him, or carry his body down to the morgue to give an ice burial, a send-off with a prayer and five Hail Marys. A sky burial? A water burial? Non, non, an ice burial for a killer, an eater. It could be said he deserved his current fate, roasting on the very grills he'd used to go about his grisly work, but Crowley had no affinity for the histrionics of daily life or the dramatic brio of the troubadour killers or the sensationalists. There was one dead man and nobody'd ever notice it— perfect crime, hid in plain sight. He had done the city a favour by removing that crook.

He deposited the smoking gun in the surplus munitions box next to him on the other seat, took off his bloodied Casio watch and tossed it outside the window— the red, hard dirt did not take the offering kindly, but begrudgingly, and with the terseness and totality of mother nature. He locked the doors, pushed up the windows, shuffled in his place, touched the half-leather wheel and then keyed the ignition: the car revved and then he was off, another cog in the grand scheme of things. A vital cog, or better yet, the mechanic who fixes the cogs, makes sure they're well oiled and in mutual acquiescence with each other. The problem was, Mr. Käng had disappeared. He'd figured it'd happen sooner or later: no contact for a few hours, enough to make him sneer. The special communications device from the Edwards Air Force Base, a nascent development of long-distance satellite phones, straight from hell-picked Nevada, Homey Airport in CIA terms, and a few miles away Mr. Käng was getting lynched by Rudy's mob in Las Vegas close to that damned hotel.

Everyone had always said he'd be a government official when he grew up, just like his father, his father before, and right down to the Pinkertons that made sure President Lincoln wasn't rotting with the worms and the mud in some lowdown cellar in an uptown city . . . Nashville Examiner, worst newspaper in this country. He chuckled. Fort Sumter was next— South Carolina, here we come!—, wickerman fortress riddled with holes and bullets. The government influence was low on the lower countries, down the south, just a notch to the right of Texas and the Mexican borders and what people called the vulgar west, manifest destiny, new frontiers, a golden palace called California and the trail of tears leading to nothingness. If that was that place, the south was noble, blue-blooded, rich in honour and tradition; the northerners were just poor suckers, octopi in white, coloured engineers and gunnery sergeants picked from the yeomanry rather than the rich, petty and the shallow— and they won't do it, they just won't, keeping the cotton fields in the seas and the plantations nowhere. They were right. There was no place for this hatred, this old conflict and these antique bodes in the new world: the vulgar west won and saw another say, and the south just decayed to nothingness like the west'd been. A parallel it was, wrong to nobody except the homeaway ghosts getting tramped on by the boots of civilizations and those escaping to the European countries getting themselves pierced with the shamshir of the mosselmen pirates.

Crowley laughed— it there was any comedy in the real world, a stomping of ideals, this was it. East of Hell, East of Fen, the south-west premier for suicide vacations . . . and he'd sent Mr. Käng, that Glasgewian, to his own funeral to act as his own pallbearer. “It's a mirage,” he said to himself. “And I'm its lenscrafter.”

Käng eyed the two women and said: “What's the deal here?”

Nora looked at Kitty. “You didn’t tell him?”

He glanced towards her direction. “I was untold.”

“No, I don't— I figured getting away from the gunfire and shit was more important. I did save his ass,” she said to her. “So, can you fix him up?”

Käng sneered. “Fuck you.”

Kitty gave him a wink. “Maybe some other time, sweetheart.”

Nora looked the man over. “I’ll give it a try. Why don’t you fill him in?”

Kitty ran a hand through her hair and let out a sigh. “Fine, fine. Alright, Mr. Käng, I'll cut to the chase. You have something I want.”

“You've got no business—” he shook his head— “there's no good here.”

“Yeah, yeah, it's a hell hole, but you're here and I am too.”

“I've flied over from Glasgow. I don't know anything about hells or holes.” He looked at Kitty, right in the eyes. “Why?”

“I've been following you for a bit now. You acquired something during your little tourist trip— it's a gun and I want it.”

“I don't have any gun,” he said. “I had a lot of guns.”

“There will be no gunfire,” Nora interjected. “Not in my house.”

He pointed at his empty holster. “I don't have a gun.”

“You had one.”

He grunted.

“How did all of this happen?” Nora nodded at Käng’s wounds as she strapped on some gloves.

“Tourist troubles,” he said.

“Word is, someone pissed off Malcolm.”

He shrugged.

Nora smirked. “I don't care much. You’re my runaway payday now.” She checked his pulse and watched his breathing, and then began examining his face.

Käng inched away. “What are you trying to do?” he said.

“Fix you up.” Her lips parted to a lopsided grin at the irony and prodded around his chest and found some bruised ribs, and felt she was in the vicinity of a broken one. “You were supposed to be a rug.”

He gritted his teeth, grimaced, and pushed her off. “I'm no rug. I don't need your help.”

“You've got a broken rib and low blood pressure.” Nora handed Käng her bottle of Hennessy. “Drink like I’m about to amputate. “

He hesitated a moment, then took a swig. “Fuck.”

“What’s your name, stranger?” Nora strode into the kitchen for moment and returned with a Slim Jim.

“Käng.”

Nora bit into it and, chewing, said, "Kang." She swallowed. "Kang, this is going to hurt."

“The name is Käng.”

“And I'm Nora and that's Kitty. Put this in your mouth.” Nora gave him a rolled hand towel.

Käng tipped his head. “Nora, Kitty,” he said and bit into the cloth piece.

Nora lifted Käng’s shirt— he let her with no scarcity of curses— and squared the broken rib with her gloved hands. She looked at her Slim Jim and took another, larger bite. “I dedicate this sacrifice to— fuck— Steve,” She said as she chewed. “It’s go-time, bud.” Nora placed her hand on Käng’s lower chest, then it happened. The bone beneath, what lied underneath the skin, rippled— each little fragment seared itself back together, a resurrection horror story done in less than a few seconds.

He screamed like a muffled bugger— which, in the given situation, he actually was.

A hairline jagged brand rose beneath Nora’s palm. She lifted it and gave Käng two congratulatory pats on the shoulder. “You did it.” She picked up the Hennessy and necked the rest of the bottle. "If we put some meat back on those bones and some salt on those bruises, we'll have a nice roast."

He heaved and released the towel.

“Shite,” he muttered, wiping the sweat beading on his forehead.

"It's gonna last all night, but we've got alcohol and Aleeve. You should go freshen up. That bathroom is to your right."

He got up. “Fuck.”

Käng looked at himself from the mirror, washed and rinsed, as clean as the shit these people ate, pale, sickly and with black-rimmed, goggly eyes— everything was covered with the satin pallor of cold sweats. He inspected the damage: there was damage but not anywhere near the bones, though the nerves had yet to stop acting up, and nothing enough to killq. He washed his face again, rubbed at his face with the sleeve of his jacket, and then he took off his hat. He looked at himself again, at those eyes, that dim flutter of realization. It wasn't dim. It was sharp. It was enough to make him want to run.

There was live malediction at hand, and he'd just witnessed it. He'd been subject to it: two people right here, wanting to know about the gun, about Crowley, about him, with magick wrapped around their fingers. There was some in this hardbitten, rattlesnake Red Country dug with new sincerity and no shortage of the weird, grotesque and atrocious. But here it was, after him, the flytrap for the weird— he understood what Crowley meant when he said that. It spelled danger, a lot of danger, and more than that, he wanted to curse Crowley and the two punks next doors at the living room discussing the trials and tribulation of curing a person you want to bisect perhaps.

He washed his hands again and got out of the bathroom. The two punks were there, talking about something. He scowled and said again: “Well, what's the deal now? You two are no good samaritans. You've a reason.”

"Katherine, you can't keep running like this."

Kitty rested her head against the pay phone and let out a long sigh.

"Yeah, I know momma. How about you tell daddy to let me go?"

There was a sad laugh from the other end and she could hear the tightness in her throat. She had been crying a lot more on their calls.

"You know I can't do that. . .Your daddy, well he. . .He. . ."

Kitty bit her bottom lip, closed her eyes, took a deep breath and then put on a big smile.

"Don't worry about me none momma. See, I've got this trick up my sleeve that will keep me safe. Plus I'm gonna have another one here real soon."

She could her mother's tension relieve a little and then a deep voice resounded softly through the speaker, calling for her mother. There was no good-bye, just the click and Kitty looked down at the receiver. She hung up and got back into the Kia Forte she had recently lifted, she knew she had to trade it out again soon.

*~*

Kitty felt her stomach drop as she looked at his empty holster and had to restrain herself from lunging to search his body. Instead Kitty stepped away as Nora set about fixing him up. She could feel the darkness writhing within her, threatening to flood forth and consume those around her. Kitty pulled out the small orb from her pocket and watched as it flashed steadily, indicating that she indeed had traveled away from her true target. She had thought she was one step closer to her goal, but now she was closer to her enemy and further from her destination.

Kitty's fingers twitched as Käng's muffled screams resounded through the room. She turned towards the two and watched as Nora drew her magic from the creature attached to her, "Steve", and healed the man right up. Kitty wished her magic could do that, but she wasn't as efficient at healing, her specialty was more the killing sector. Her eyes followed the pale and harassed man as he made his way to the bathroom, cussing a bit.

"This is all fucked Nora. I drove straight through those black bastards to get this fucker and he doesn't even have the gun!"

Kitty let out a frustrated growl and kicked the couch Nora sat on. "How did I fuck up this bad?" She plopped down next to Nora and shook her head. "Have anything else to drink? I need something to take this itchy away or I'll start taking this out on that poor bastard."

Kitty glanced back over at Käng as he exited the bathroom and laughed at his question. "Not obvious enough, brit? I want the gun. You're just the gun holder, or at least you were, and that's why I saved your ass. Do you even know what you have?"

Kitty glowered, wondering how dense this guy was. She had heard the rumor while drowning her sorrows over her latest failure and thought this was the guy who had killed a demon. As far as she could tell, he was just some regular 'bloke'. Kitty felt that itching feel and her fingers twitched, aware of how quickly she could take him out, but her thoughts were drowned out as her ears caught the sound of dozens of motorcycles seemed to be drawing closer. Moments later they had turned down the street.

"Shit!" Kitty's hackles had raised and she jumped to her feet, pushing past Käng and reaching under the bed to grab her big travel bag. She quickly pulled out a black-bladed machete that seem to darken the very area around it. There was cord with various small bones and medallions wrapped around the hilt, helping to keep it hidden from prying eyes. As she stood with the weapon drawn, the deafening engines had pulled up to the small business. Kitty pressed her body against the wall motioning for Käng to do the same as the deep voice of a man called out over the din of motorcycles.

"Nora, we need to talk."

It was loud, but had this silkiness that you didn't get in the South, no this man was definitely not from around here. Kitty looked over to Nora, gauging her reaction before sidling up to the window and pulling out the curtain so she could look out on the large group gathered outside. She could see the same man from earlier that day that had been ready to lynch Mr. Käng. He was dressed in all leather, black glasses covering his eyes and a large, toothy grin spread across his face. Cocky bastard gave her a thrill and made her want to shoot him at the same time. Kitty couldn't keep the smile off her face as she looked over to the other two. "We're pretty fucked."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back