• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

Leusis said:
Dorne has 25,000 men..... They're tied with the Iron Isles in terms of strength. Hell if you think about it the Iron Isles are stronger because they have a big navy while Dorne has little.
What source states that? Im curious because i was reading a forum and there was a link to a George RR interview where he claimed that dorne and the vale as well as the north had roughly similar military strength

Lancelot said:
It has been said or at least hinted at numerous times that Dorne has lied about their wealth and power.
Rather the young dragon hinted at far more troops to exaggerate his victory and dorne never bothered saying anything to contradict

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Dorne has stated that they have 50,000 while its commonly believed in Westeros that they only have around 20,000.

Plus if you check the overview there is a link to a list the GMs have created and they have given Dorne 25,000 soldiers in total.

Also if you honestly think a place thats nothing but desert and its wells are running dry can throw out as many troops as the much larger North or the much better off Vale, you're crazy.

Leusis said:
Well Dorne has stated that they have 50,000 while its commonly believed in Westeros that they only have around 20,000.
Plus if you check the overview there is a link to a list the GMs have created and they have given Dorne 25,000 soldiers in total.

Also if you honestly think a place thats nothing but desert and its wells are running dry can throw out as many troops as the much larger North or the much better off Vale, you're crazy.
Im not attacking im asking. I was reading a debate about it so I wanted to know your sources. The Vale is mountainous in many areas and the north is cold and nor was I speaking of outright numbers. I simply stated that in an interview GRR apparently stated at the beginning of the war the Vale, The North, and Dorne had similar military strengths unless he downgraded it later on

Yeah it is kind of like the Stormlands, they don't have much but mountains and forrests but their connections and friends make them quite "rich".

The bastard also said Ibben was the distance England was to Finland. I love GRR, but he is inconsistent with his direct statements about the world.

Dorne has one advantage over every other region and thats the fact they are SUUUUUPER hard to invade. Dorne might not have a big army but even if they lost half that army by going out and fighting outside of Dorne. If they just retreated back with the surviving half they could probably still beat back any invasion due to the fact you have to cross mountains just to get into Dorne and once you're in theres nothing but desert.

Elendithas said:
The bastard also said Ibben was the distance England was to Finland. I love GRR, but he is inconsistent with his direct statements about the world.
Which is why i was hesitant to say something like giving them greater numbers. His statement was they had similar military strength but he never stated how and Dorne hasn't done much in the books under Dorans extreme passiveness so its hard to get a straight answer

Leusis said:
Dorne has one advantage over every other region and thats the fact they are SUUUUUPER hard to invade. Dorne might not have a big army but even if they lost half that army by going out and fighting outside of Dorne. If they just retreated back with the surviving half they could probably still beat back any invasion due to the fact you have to cross mountains just to get into Dorne and once you're in theres nothing but desert.
I don't know about that...

The Knights of the Vale are known to be bred for defence (or at least known for it.)

And The Bloody Gate + The Mountains + The Eyerie means that they can focus many of their troops in areas that they know their enemy wil be forced to attack.

Yes, but the same can be said for Dorne, they know where their enemies would have to enter. And even if they break through Dornes defenses the enemy still has to deal with the desert. If the enemy breaks into the more central area of the Vale there really isn't much keeping them from just raiding and burning everything.

Leusis said:
Except he said military strength not defensive power which ethier insinuates they do have a bigger army then one gives them credit for or their soldier strength is quite high but that doesn't make all that much sense

Leusis said:
Yes, but the same can be said for Dorne, they know where their enemies would have to enter. And even if they break through Dornes defenses the enemy still has to deal with the desert. If the enemy breaks into the more central area of the Vale there really isn't much keeping them from just raiding and burning everything.
I wasn't refuting the point you made I was saying that the Vale has pretty good defences too.

military strength isn't just about how many soldiers you have or how good your soldiers are. How defensive your territory is definitely plays a part in military strength as well as that places allies. Because if somebody attack Switzerland the aggressor wouldn't only be worried about the tiny Switzerland army. They'd also be worried about the fact the terrain is terrible for an assault and the fact literally everybody in the world is Switzerlands ally.

I know that Dornes a pain in the ass to invade, their moral in thier own lands had even common people assassinating soldiers all over Dorne after they rose up after the bed of scorpions and several armies have disappeared into the deserts never to come out, including several armies of the massive reach, including one under the young dragon. Not to mention theres probably a reason they were always able to avoid simply getting wiped out by the reach or Stormlands with how much they atagonized them.

@Lancelot

Oh I know, I didn't mean for it to seem like I was arguing. I was just making a point about the fact Dorne has two terrain advantages while the Vale only has one.

I got the numbers on the spread sheet from various sources so not everything is entirely consistant but I got the Dornish numbers from this video, Elio and Linda aren't my favourite people in the world but they tend to be pretty accurate with this kind of stuff. [media]

[/media]

Leusis said:
@Lancelot
Oh I know, I didn't mean for it to seem like I was arguing. I was just making a point about the fact Dorne has two terrain advantages while the Vale only has one.
Yeah I get that, I could have worded my post better.

The north moat Caitlyn is known to be unassailable and the eyries never been taken except by dragons so its not like they lack massive defenses ethier

I think @Akio believes that military strength is completely based on the size or skill of the places army. Me and Elendithas are saying that there are a lot more variables than the army that makes up military strength for a region.

The eyrie was taken by the Andals, so its definitely been taken by something other than dragons.

I may be misinterpreting the posts but what I have read it seems we were talking about the Military SIZE of Dorne but we all went off on smaller tangents for some reason...

Leusis said:
The eyrie was taken by the Andals, so its definitely been taken by something other than dragons.
The Eyrie was made by the Andals, it has never been taken by a hostile force.

Leusis said:
The Eyrie was built by the Andels, the first men lacked the skill. The gate of the moon is where the first andel kings of the vale resided. Took 8 generations to build the Eyrie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back