• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Song of Ice and Fire RP (Game of Thrones)

I understand the distaste for more skilled fighters, truly I do. But some people need to understand what worth a weapon such as a spear really has in Medieval combat.

Pros:

• Reach
  • Can be turned into a projectile
  • Easy to repair (Mostly made of wood)
  • Cheap.
  • Can be used as a club/long grip to block.

Cons:

• Primarily a thrusting weapon, not always ideal.
  • Typically less effective in single combat. Superior maneuverability with a blade can keep a spear head away or break it.
  • Read above, it's a cheap weapon meant for the masses. It's not built to last.
  • Combat is close to finished once the reach advantage is lost
  • Typically ineffective against armored opponents*

Akio's Dornishmen uses a spear, which for all intense and purposes is about as good a weapon a levy or peasant could hope for. Axes (to an extent,) and swords would not be given or bought by the commoner being called to war. In single combat, where Aiko's Dornish Prince excels, is a place where most spearmen flounder and fail. It speaks for his skill but at the end of the day his weapon of choice, barring poison, is less reliable and arguably effective than a sword. For all his skill can bring, in combat, a man in well situated armor and with skills to tangle with him would and should win.

This is no slight on you or your character @Akio, but this is the reality of the situation. He's good, he's made a name for himself with a peasants weapon. But just judging by his weapon/armor choice (assuming it's typical dornish attire,) the spear and light armor in most Westerosi conditions** is in fact inferior to a sword/shield, or an axe in some cases.

Add in his asthma, and what is impressive before just reveals a bigger weakness. Someone who needs to end fights quickly will meet stark resistance against most of Westeros' more capable ("Tier 4/5") knights.

* - While it's true the spear may be able to dig into revealed visors, joints between armor plates and other vulnerabilities, most weaknesses in full plate metals of the High Middle Ages were in the rear. Exposes legs/rear, larger cracks between joints where they need to bend, et cetera. Unless the opponent is turned around, the spearmen is fighting a wall of metal hoping to catch an opening from a presumably skilled fighter.

** - The Reach, Westerlands, Stormlands, Crownlands, Riverlands, Vale to an extent and North to an extent all favor heavy armor. Dorne can be mixed, with the upper North and Ironborn likely selecting key components and replacing the rest with boiled leather, for obvious condition reasons.

Let's not attribute the skills a character has to who or what they are. A man can have many different talents in life, or be talentless, but that doesn't decide how they act, which is the primary quality every character should focus on.

It doesn't matter if someone is this great musician, who can win any lady for his heroic looks. If he's someone who's friendly and amicable, enough so that every man speaks highly of him. If he's kind and charitable to even the lowest of people, with talents with weapons that surpass 99% of Westeros. Or even if he comes from this elaborate family of prestige and wealth. Despite it all, at the end of the day they can die and lose everything to someone objectively inferior, even with all the titles, glory, gold, and love he has acquired. E.g. Rhaegar v. Bobby B.

I'd just say focus on your own characters, and it probably does more harm than good when comparing fighters or leaders. It makes something a competition that really shouldn't be, the world is big, wide and full of surprises.

Ned Stark (Good enough of a fighter)

The Black Fish (Close to if not on Jaime's Level)

Jaime Lannister

Oberyn Martell

Robert Baratheon

Rhaegar Targaryen

Just all the characters from major houses that lived in the same time, and are considered some of the best fighters Westeros has seen. Not including the Arthur Dayne's, The White Bull's, Qhorin Halfhands, Mance Rayders, The Mountains that also roamed during that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheAncientCenturion said:
I understand the distaste for more skilled fighters, truly I do. But some people need to understand what worth a weapon such as a spear really has in Medieval combat.
Pros:

• Reach
  • Cheap.

Cons:

• Typically less effective in single combat. Superior maneuverability with a blade can keep a spear head away or break it.

Akio's Dornishmen uses a spear, which for all intense and purposes is about as good a weapon a levy or peasant could hope for. Axes (to an extent,) and swords would not be given or bought by the commoner being called to war. In single combat, where Aiko's Dornish Prince excels, is a place where most spearmen flounder and fail. It speaks for his skill but at the end of the day his weapon of choice, barring poison, is less reliable and arguably effective than a sword. For all his skill can bring, in combat, a man in well situated armor and with skills to tangle with him would and should win.

This is no slight on you or your character @Akio, but this is the reality of the situation. He's good, he's made a name for himself with a peasants weapon. But just judging by his weapon/armor choice (assuming it's typical dornish attire,) the spear and light armor in most Westerosi conditions** is in fact inferior to a sword/shield, or an axe in some cases.

Add in his asthma, and what is impressive before just reveals a bigger weakness. Someone who needs to end fights quickly will meet stark resistance against most of Westeros' more capable ("Tier 4/5") knights.

* - While it's true the spear may be able to dig into revealed visors, joints between armor plates and other vulnerabilities, most weaknesses in full plate metals of the High Middle Ages were in the rear. Exposes legs/rear, larger cracks between joints where they need to bend, et cetera. Unless the opponent is turned around, the spearmen is fighting a wall of metal hoping to catch an opening from a presumably skilled fighter.

** - The Reach, Westerlands, Stormlands, Crownlands, Riverlands, Vale to an extent and North to an extent all favor heavy armor. Dorne can be mixed, with the upper North and Ironborn likely selecting key components and replacing the rest with boiled leather, for obvious condition reasons.

Let's not attribute the skills a character has to who or what they are. A man can have many different talents in life, or be talentless, but that doesn't decide how they act, which is the primary quality every character should focus on.

It doesn't matter if someone is this great musician, who can win any lady for his heroic looks. If he's someone who's friendly and amicable, enough so that every man speaks highly of him. If he's kind and charitable to even the lowest of people, with talents with weapons that surpass 99% of Westeros. Or even if he comes from this elaborate family of prestige and wealth. Despite it all, at the end of the day they can die and lose everything to someone objectively inferior, even with all the titles, glory, gold, and love he has acquired. E.g. Rhaegar v. Bobby B.

I'd just say focus on your own characters, and it probably does more harm than good when comparing fighters or leaders. It makes something a competition that really shouldn't be, the world is big, wide and full of surprises.

Jaime Lannister

Oberyn Martell

Robert Baratheon

Rhaegar Targaryen

Just all the characters from major houses that lived in the same time, and are considered some of the best fighters Westeros has seen. Not including the Arthur Dayne's, The White Bull's, Qhorin Halfhands, Mance Rayders, The Mountains that also roamed during that time.
So... Changing the subject, Centurion have you ever seen Titanic?

Pros:

• Reach
  • Cheap.

Cons:

Jaime Lannister

Oberyn Martell

Robert Baratheon

Rhaegar Targaryen

giphy.gif

Well said.

@TheAncientCenturion

Stop trying to make us not debate on literally everything that pops up and try and focus on our own characters! Maybe I want to talk about other peoples characters instead of just focusing on doing some kind of post in IC with my own! (except @Darth Gangsta still hasn't replied)

Yeah, did the action just freeze IC in Westeros? It's been a while so I'm not even sure who's suppose to post anymore lol

WanderingJester said:
Yeah, did the action just freeze IC in Westeros? It's been a while so I'm not even sure who's suppose to post anymore lol
Still waiting on the Shields, the more we argue the more Centurion has to intervene therefore the slower it goes, by my estimation it'll be done by next January. Also waiting on @Archon for the Baratheon storyline but he is busy, and I'll be writing something for Velaryon tomorrow hopefully.

I did mention @WanderingJester and @Hypnos that I have problems replying on time and quickly. I got other things that keep me down, and when I am free I'm not always in the mood to write. I have 2,000-2,500 words done for the next post, and I'm off tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it done then. But I am keeping two or three story lines frozen by accident.

Kuvira also never replied. God damn it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hypnos said:
Still waiting on the Shields, the more we argue the more Centurion has to intervene therefore the slower it goes, by my estimation it'll be done by next January. Also waiting on @Archon for the Baratheon storyline but he is busy, and I'll be writing something for Velaryon tomorrow hopefully.
It'll be out before Winds, still.

Leusis said:
@TheAncientCenturion
Stop trying to make us not debate on literally everything that pops up and try and focus on our own characters! Maybe I want to talk about other peoples characters instead of just focusing on doing some kind of post in IC with my own! (except @Darth Gangsta still hasn't replied)
Sorry, my laptop broke. It's pretty hard to post on a phone xD . But I shall try my best, I assure you.

I did mention @WanderingJester and @Hypnos that I have problems replying on time and quickly. I got other things that keep me down, and when I am free I'm not always in the mood to write. I have 2,000-2,500 words done for the next post, and I'm off tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it done then. But I am keeping two or three story lines frozen.
Kuvira also never replied. God damn it.
Kuvira has replied I do believe.

Leusis said:
@Akio
I can understand that, but Ive also had to change character concepts tons of times so that the character would better fit in with whats going on, even when I REALLY wanted to make a certain type of character. And trust me, we've already dsicussed that how under the right circumstances a tier 3 could destroy a tier 4 in a fight. So its not like even if you do get nudged down a bit you'll just lose all validity as a combat character.
But he would lose around he was originally based off. He has one goal in life which is to sail around the world, see the next horizon. But all those things require a skill not only to sail but protect yourself, and he knows that so being a fighter is as important as his sailing. He was built around the two points of combat and sailing, even command is secondary to those two things

Pros:

• Reach
  • Cheap.

Cons:

Jaime Lannister

Oberyn Martell

Robert Baratheon

Rhaegar Targaryen

I agree the spear is normally a peasants weapon and one of the easiest weapons to learn but one of the hardest weapons to master it has great potential. A custom made spear can get rid of the disadvantage of it being not build to last especially someone with his resources and poison means even a small cut could turn a battle on its head. Im an average rper but combat both long distance command and short distance fights has always been the one point ive been best at and the lower the tier the more restrained i feel like one of my best attribute in an rp is. Its not impossible to be top tier with a spear even against the most heavily armored knight as Oberyn proved but with a lower Tier i feel like i must act more and more restrained with how i roleplay my combat. Ill take tier 3 if i have to and the gms say i must but i certainly don't have to like it. I don't even like assigning tier as someone who roleplays combat especially in an rp like this where everyone is human on the same level. Id always feel like if im forced to fight some their 5 or 4 guy as a tier 3 the only option to make it fair is lose and that bothers me.

Akio said:
But he would lose around he was originally based off. He has one goal in life which is to sail around the world, see the next horizon. But all those things require a skill not only to sail but protect yourself, and he knows that so being a fighter is as important as his sailing. He was built around the two points of combat and sailing, even command is secondary to those two things
I agree the spear is normally a peasants weapon and one of the easiest weapons to learn but one of the hardest weapons to master it has great potential. A custom made spear can get rid of the disadvantage of it being not build to last especially someone with his resources and poison means even a small cut could turn a battle on its head. Im an average rper but combat both long distance command and short distance fights has always been the one point ive been best at and the lower the tier the more restrained i feel like one of my best attribute in an rp is. Its not impossible to be top tier with a spear even against the most heavily armored knight as Oberyn proved but with a lower Tier i feel like i must act more and more restrained with how i roleplay my combat. Ill take tier 3 if i have to and the gms say i must but i certainly don't have to like it. I don't even like assigning tier as someone who roleplays combat especially in an rp like this where everyone is human on the same level. Id always feel like if im forced to fight some their 5 or 4 guy as a tier 3 the only option to make it fair is lose and that bothers me.
I personally use the Tier system as a muse, it's neat, but it's too clean for our RP.

You can be Podrick Payne and still kill a Kingsguard, a Kingsguard. Your character can kill anyone or be killed by anyone, depending on the conditions. You don't need to lose, it's all about circumstances. What the Tier system does is just isolate everything and put it in a contained room with no outside elements. Unrealistic, fun, but not entirely accurate to what will happen in the RP.

I mean, who's going to predict/account for Walder Tully beating Viserys by intentionally having his left arm be cut off by Blackfyre, and have the Tully blood blind Viserys as Walder digs a shank into the True King's throat.

@TheAncientCenturion

Thats similar to how I always viewed the tier system and why I stated being lowered 1 tier doesn't just suddenly make Cayden invalid as a fighter. Just because he would lose to somebody if no tricks were allowed and they were set in an open area with no outside influence doesn't mean he couldn't slaughter that same person in a different scenario. And poison is also a huge part of that. Sure somebody might be able to beat you in a certain situation, but so long as you even give them a very minor cut theres a chance the fight could do a complete 180.

Mhhhm.

It's much more enjoyable to think up crafty ways to defeat your opponents, anyways. Disregard the tier system as anything more then fun chatter for now, and focus on marryingprotecting a Targ.

I personally use the Tier system as a muse, it's neat, but it's too clean for our RP.
You can be Podrick Payne and still kill a Kingsguard, a Kingsguard. Your character can kill anyone or be killed by anyone, depending on the conditions. You don't need to lose, it's all about circumstances. What the Tier system does is just isolate everything and put it in a contained room with no outside elements. Unrealistic, fun, but not entirely accurate to what will happen in the RP.

I mean, who's going to predict/account for Walder Tully beating Viserys by intentionally having his left arm be cut off by Blackfyre, and have the Tully blood blind Viserys as Walder digs a shank into the True King's throat.
Even then it represents a definite gap and honestly if by luck or situation i beat a tier 5 fighter because they missed something I feel like someones gonna be pissed. "How can a tier 5 lose to a tier 3?" and all that. I feel like someones gonna complain so having him in a ranking where technically he has a chance to beat anyone around is a nice forstall to that

Leusis said:
@TheAncientCenturion
Thats similar to how I always viewed the tier system and why I stated being lowered 1 tier doesn't just suddenly make Cayden invalid as a fighter. Just because he would lose to somebody if no tricks were allowed and they were set in an open area with no outside influence doesn't mean he couldn't slaughter that same person in a different scenario. And poison is also a huge part of that. Sure somebody might be able to beat you in a certain situation, but so long as you even give them a very minor cut theres a chance the fight could do a complete 180.
Then why have the tier system at all? It just seems to create unnecessary and apparently only creates problems about the who, what, where, and how and balance.

Mhhhm.
It's much more enjoyable to think up crafty ways to defeat your opponents, anyways. Disregard the tier system as anything more then fun chatter for now, and focus on marryingprotecting a Targ.
Except everyone says hes probably gonna die with his current route :P

Desgran is the only one that will be marrying a Targ! Any objections will be met with a horde of short hairy men at your doorstep with clubs. They just want to talk, I swear.

Elendithas said:
Desgran is the only one that will be marrying a Targ! Any objections will be met with a horde of short hairy men at your doorstep with clubs. They just want to talk, I swear.
How fast is Desgran dying btw? Like what's his life expectancy at this point anyways? Just remembered that point from his bio.

@Akio

Because if we didn't have tiers at all anybody could just say their character is even with everybody else even if they make a 12 year old with no hands. It might not be an all powerful list of who beats who, but its a good starting point for speculation on who could beat who depending on circumstances.

Akio said:
Even then it represents a definite gap and honestly if by luck or situation i beat a tier 5 fighter because they missed something I feel like someones gonna be pissed. "How can a tier 5 lose to a tier 3?" and all that. I feel like someones gonna complain so having him in a ranking where technically he has a chance to beat anyone around is a nice forstall to that
Then why have the tier system at all? It just seems to create unnecessary and apparently only creates problems about the who, what, where, and how and balance.

Except everyone says hes probably gonna die with his current route :P
The RP is not about who is the best fighter. You can be good, you can be cocky, maybe even a legend in your later years, but how fast you swing or jab an edge doesn't make character A better than character B. You're acting like it does.

Ignore tiers altogether if it bugs you, it's a fun side thing, again.

If a character dies it can be due to many causes. It happens, this is a GoT/ASOIAF RP. We're all familiar with the memes that populate the fandom, no one is safe, and those you expect to be untouchable always fall. Hard. Over and over again. Down the stairs.

Not to mention how good someone is, isn't fixed in the current. The Mountain Lion might become a fat fuck soon, and Walder Tully a Greek God among men. It happens.

Leusis said:
@Akio
Because if we didn't have tiers at all anybody could just say their character is even with everybody else even if they make a 12 year old with no hands. It might not be an all powerful list of who beats who, but its a good starting point for speculation on who could beat who depending on circumstances.
Except my the logic we just put out the 12 year old might get lucky and tear the guys throat out with his teeth

The RP is not about who is the best fighter. You can be good, you can be cocky, maybe even a legend in your later years, but how fast you swing or jab an edge doesn't make character A better than character B. You're acting like it does.
Ignore tiers altogether if it bugs you, it's a fun side thing, again.

If a character dies it can be due to many causes. It happens, this is a GoT/ASOIAF RP. We're all familiar with the memes that populate the fandom, no one is safe, and those you expect to be untouchable always fall. Hard. Over and over again. Down the stairs.

Not to mention how good someone is, isn't fixed in the current. The Mountain Lion might become a fat fuck soon, and Walder Tully a Greek God among men. It happens.
Then ill probably just ignore it, and rp my fighter with his asthama problems and move on with my life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back