• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic UEEF Marines - OOC Thread

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
In the book series Wearing the Cape, there is a military squad that guards a gateway that are called the Scoobies, because their squad patch is a three-headed Scooby Do. I picture that in the book every time I hear Cerberus squad.

The relative quiet of the hall is shattered by the sound of energy weapons being discharged up ahead, making the refugees in the hall scream and huddle in close to one another in fear for their lives. Following the sounds of the gunfire, you look down the passageway to see the back end of ten Invid mecha, three Shock Troopers and seven Armored Scouts, engaged with a pair of Robotech Master Bioroids that are shooting back at the Invid from positions of cover. From this angle, you cannot see the Invid's weak sensor eye, since you are behind them.
Sherwood Sherwood O.K.. I've an observation here I'd like to talk shop about.

Our team came up on an enemy that has no idea our team is about to attack. We arrive at their backs and they have no clue we are here, right? Plus, this enemy is distracted further increasing our jump on them.

Shouldn't this be a Surprise Round for us as we ambush them from their rear?

cthuluneedsahug cthuluneedsahug Eonivar Eonivar Psychie Psychie
Did we ever come up with any votes for a squad name? I like either Cerberus or Chimera. What does everyone else think of that?
1. Forgive me if I've played too much Mass Effect. Cerberus is the human terrorist organization there (or the three-headed dog of Greek mythos). Sorry, I'm not partial to it.

2. The Chimera is another three-headed beast from Greek myth. It's a fire-breathing monster with the heads of a goat, a lion, and a dragon (in D&D mythoi) or the three distinct parts of a goat, lion, and serpent in non-gaming Greek mythology. Why would we want to be called this? I don't have anything that "grabs my goat" if you will here. It's just a name to me.

But in the spirit of solution-making, let me not just be a naysayer here, but a contributor. Either of these creatures sounds like choosing a name just for the sake of choosing a name. I recommend we select a name that means something. Maybe stands for something good. For example, the Wild Cards of Real Life (a name being used by our team in my Robotech game) is taken after a professional bunch with a sense of humor with the motto, "All Aces, No Jokers." Now, that speaks something to me. It's not just cool for the sake of being cool. If we want this game to last, I say let us choose a name that at least has some kind of meaning to it.

We could go old-fashioned military-style Japanese-anime-before-anime-was-cool and call ourselves the "Star Blazers" after that legendary 1980s series that surely helped bring Robotech, our very game, to life. They were a family-become-force that was trying to save Earth. With Sherwood's permission, we could say that Star Blazers was a show in our game just like it is in Real Life. If you want meaning for a bunch of UEEF people, I think we could do far worse.

From Real Life military squad names, we could pick from any number of euphemisms or plain-neat-sounding names and add a meaning of our own. Take for examples, "Fist Bumping Ghosts," "The Unredeemable," or (tell me this one doesn't make you think), "Resolution Consultants."

We can take from Real Life History.
Hell On Wheels

2nd Armored Division, US Army: The 2nd Armored Division was active from 1940 to 1995 and was once commanded by Gen. Patton. It played an important role during World War II and was deactivated shortly after the Gulf War. Gen. Patton gave the unit the nickname after witnessing its maneuvers in 1941.

Gunslingers

Strike Fighter Squadron 105 (VFA-105), US Navy: This squadron was originally commissioned in 1952 as the “Mad Dogs” and was decommissioned in 1959. It was recommissioned as the “Gunslingers” in 1969 to participate in combat operations in the Gulf of Tonkin and has remained active ever since.

Kickin’ Ass

148 Fighter Squadron, US Air Force: Based out of Tucson Air National Guard Base, AZ, this F-16A/B Fighting Falcon squadron’s main role is to train foreign military pilots.

I don't know about you guys, but Cerberus and Chimera look a little tame to me after some of these.

But what do you think?

Sherwood Sherwood O.K.. I've an observation here I'd like to talk shop about.

Our team came up on an enemy that has no idea our team is about to attack. We arrive at their backs and they have no clue we are here, right? Plus, this enemy is distracted further increasing our jump on them.

Shouldn't this be a Surprise Round for us as we ambush them from their rear?
You are in a surprise round; I'm just going in order to see who acts first.

To be honest, I never did declare it, so how would you know?
So that's why I wondered after all! I thought I'd missed something. The curve balls life throws us sometimes... =)

Well, on one side, the Invid can sense active Protoculture, making it possible to spot you coming up. But on the other hand there are a lot of active reactors up right now, and your Cyclones are not in any way the most powerful out there right now.

A few questions before I do Onni's action.

1. Have the armored scouts turned to face the party?

2. It requires a "called shot" to hit the eye, since a called shot is 2 attacks, do I have to use this action as an aiming action until he can fire next round, or am I just using two attacks for this action?

3. Onni is planning to use his 80mm beam cannon to bullseye an armored scout, can he use a three round burst for the called shot at the eye or must he use a single shot here?

A few questions before I do Onni's action.

1. Have the armored scouts turned to face the party?

2. It requires a "called shot" to hit the eye, since a called shot is 2 attacks, do I have to use this action as an aiming action until he can fire next round, or am I just using two attacks for this action?

3. Onni is planning to use his 80mm beam cannon to bullseye an armored scout, can he use a three round burst for the called shot at the eye or must he use a single shot here?
Only two have. They others are still focused on the two bioroids.

I play it that it simply burns through your two actions in one attack, so it is not a case of "wait to shoot" before your action goes off. Don't forget that you are at a -4 to hit the eyepiece in the heat of combat.

Single shot only for the Called Shot, so no bursts can be used.

a quick look at your character didn't show you have the Critical Strike From Behind bonus from your HtH skill. If I am wrong, I'll edit this post accordingly.
Sherwood Sherwood This is correct. The Jeet Kune Do 2.0 that I created never gets Crit' from Behind.

So how many missed rolls do I have to roll before I start calling Bull Shit?

At least with Exalted I can burn a willpower to squeak out one success...is it statistically sound that every shot has a 20% chance to automatically miss? No matter the amount of technology and training?

Not mad at the GM or players, I just do not like the system. I will live. I have had a very stressful week this week and it is not this game or any of the people in it's fault. So I am venting a little here.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you had a rough week.

I am willing to use my own dice to make rolls for you in the same way I do for Dannigan. All you have to do is let me know and I'll happily do so for you.

No I am good. I will continue to use the post dice. They gotta turn around sometime. Silly RNGs.

Thanks for offering though. Things are getting better for me now that the week is over. And the the Stanley Cup Playoffs are going on. ;-)

I know far more about the Stanley Cup than I could ever want. My wife and daughter are both big hockey fans, and they strong-armed me into joining in and filling out a playoff bracket, despite the fact that I can give two shits about sports and just guessed at all the teams for who would win.

Haha, I have been a huge hockey fan since I went to college. My wife and I’s first date was a hockey game.

Yeah, I never got into sports at all. It is kinda funny to me how much my whole family is into our team while I don't care at all. Its not that I don't want them to do well; I just have other things to worry about than what player is our starting goalie this time around.

Sherwood Sherwood Are the armored scouts close enough together for plasma mini-missiles to hit more than one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back