The Wanderers {Open}

Maggie pursed her lips. "Why on earth would me having a stupid, retarded, kindergarten crush on someone who's made it clear he doesn't like me change anything?" she replied.

Luke blinked in surprise, not really expecting her to say something like that. "You have a crush on someone?" He asked stupidly, completely oblivious to the fact that she was talking about him.

Luke just stood there in confusion for a moment before quickly following her, "Wait, who is it? You can't just tell me that then not tell me who it is!" He exclaimed, feeling like he might be pushing it too far. He couldn't help it, he was curious.

Maggie shook her head slowly. "Actually, I can. So please, just drop it," she replied, getting out some fruits and vegetables to chop. She knew she was on the brink of getting frustrated, and when she was frustrated, her face had a tendency to get blotchy and she always teared up, to her complete humiliation.

Luke fell silent running a hand through his hair as he tried to just let it drop. He couldn't help but continue to think about it though. That was one of his biggest flaws, he could never deal with secrets being kept from him. "Pretty please can I know?" he asked softly after a moments pause. He really didn't mean to bug her and he knew he must be getting annoying but he just really wanted to know and couldn't help himself from inquiring her about it.

Maggie shook her head. "No. No, no, no, no, no," she replied, covering her face with her hands as she started to tear up. Good grief, was he entirely oblivious?

Luke's eyes widened and he immediately enveloped her in a hug, not sure of what else to do. "Oh no, don't cry. I'm so sorry! I'll stop I promise, just please don't cry," he said, feeling horrible. Why was he such a bad person? He should have just let it go instead of bothering her about it but no, he had to go and make it worse.

"I'm really sorry," Luke said again, stepping back since it was just not easy to hug someone when you had a guitar in your hand. He instead brought a hand up to cup her cheek, brushing over it with his thumb. "I didn't mean to make you upset... I'm just a little too nosy for my own good," he said with a frown.

Maggie reflexively closed her eyes and leaned her cheek into his hand before flinching back slightly and wiping at her cheeks again. "It's fine. Honest." Not interested. She repeated those words through her head like a sort of mantra.

Luke noticed the movement and his eyes widened with realization. "Wait... your crush isn't... me, is it?" he asked slowly and uncertainly. He silently hoped she would laugh and tell him no, since he really really didn't want to have to tell her the truth. Besides, he wasn't much to crush on. She could definitely do better than him and he almost expected her to say that he was wrong.

Maggie turned bright pink and stepped back, turning around to continue making lunch for everyone. She didn't trust her voice at the moment, and so she remained silent.

He silently gaped at her, surprised with her lack of answer. If he had been wrong she would have told him so, so did that mean that he really was her crush? "...Maggie?" He asked quietly, the question still hanging in the air.

Luke did as he was asked, grabbing the tomato and setting it down beside her. He stepped closer to her and took her face in his hands forcing her to look at him. "Maggie am I your crush?" he asked again, 99 percent sure that the answer to that question was a yes but he needed to hear it from her first.

Luke sighed squeezing his eyes shut. "Look Maggie... I'm sorry," he said softly, "I'm really really sorry because you're so nice and sweet and pretty and you'd be the perfect girlfriend but I just..." he trailed off, not sure how to finish that sentence.

Maggie shook her head. "But you're not interested," she finished his sentence for him. She put down the knife she had been using to slice the bread before heading to the door.

"Maggie wait! It's not...It's not that," he called, reaching to stop her. He had to tell her. He just didn't know if he could get the words out considering he'd never admitted this to anyone yet and had only just recently admitted it to himself.

Luke shook his head, "No, no you're perfect and I really would like you back if I...if I liked girls," he blurted out, biting down hard on his bottom lip as he waited for her reaction. That was his first time admitting he was gay to anyone and he was afraid that she would judge him for it.

Maggie almost laughed at her rotten luck. Of course he was gay. Because she just couldn't catch a break. She dropped down into one of the chairs, trying to keep from bursting into tears at the fact that yet another she had allowed herself to like would never like her back.

"I'm really really sorry Maggie," Luke said, his eyes glued to the floor. He felt so bad for possibly leading her on without knowing. He had never wanted something like this to happen...

Maggie breathed in deeply. "It's fine. I mean, it's not like there's anything you can do about it. I'm going to go upstairs to my room now," she said, standing back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back