• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy ~The Lords of the Magistone~

"I will skin them myself, thank you!" Cyril retorted, taking a large knife from the cooking satchel. His thin eyes narrowed further in concentration as he pried the fur away, but the prince did a surprisingly tidy job. Seemingly ignoring Rederik's work on the fire, he clapped his hands together twice. "Now shoo, if you'd be so kind. One require's one's space when cooking." With that, he began to fry the rabbit, humming loudly to himself as he swept around the fire, swooping up some herbs from his bag. When did he find them? Skyre pondered. Or did he just steal them from Ethan?

Lapis' laughter caught the redhead's attention, and he realised that it was one of the only times he had heard her speak at all. Her laughter had such a raw quality of happiness that he couldn't stop himself from smiling and chuckling a little too. "I wonder what changed his tune," he murmered to Desiree, peacefully watching the prince hop his way around the fireplace. "More importantly, I wonder how he killed those rabbits. He doesn't even have a weapon!" Chuckling to himself, Skyre rose and sat closer to the fire, greeting the cheerful Lapis. "Morning," he nodded, politely, "Sleep well?"

"Yes, thank you." Lapis said politely. She sifted her long sleeves and flattened her kimono as she sat. She always sat with her feet underneath her, but today she sat with her feet to the side. She smiled and took a strand of hair and placed it between her thumb and pointer finger, twirling it back and forth. She closed her eyes, feeling the wind around her. She was quite aware that Desiree was a wind mage, but she had a sword, she was a warrior. In no way would it bring her down.

Rederik bowed his head at Cyril's request. He rose from his place at the fire and walked over to Skyre and Desiree. Since the redhead was locked in conversation with Lapis, he decided to quietly address Desiree.

"Do you believe we will run into any other survivors?" he asked. She had been the one to suggest increasing their numbers, but due to recent events he was unsure of his feelings. "More so, those we can trust. I have become content in those present and have grown weary of the possibilities. I want to believe other survivors will not be as...impressionable."

Naraya remained at the fireside watching Cyril work. She did not care if he wished for space. Her crimson eyes were fixed on the rabbits he was skinning, her paw occasionally reaching out towards him hesitantly, though falling just short of where he sat. A puff of air escaped through her nose in an attempt to grab his attention.

Desiree regarded the prince with mild disdain. She hadn't liked him from the moment that they had met and his simple display this morning did nothing to redeem him. He was an arrogant, pompous, know-it-all prig, and she felt no remorse at her thoughts at leaving him behind.

Well, that wasn't entirely true. He was a survivor, like the rest of them. No, that wasn't entirely true, either. Cyril was nothing like the rest of them and his antics this morning would probably soon be replaced by the typical personality that they have all come to know since his inclusion with the group.

Desiree sighed and stopped her vain efforts to untangle the last knots from her straight, blonde hair. She noticed Skyre's reaction and posture with Cyril's "new" personality and her brow furrowed in disappointment. Looks like he's got Skyre fooled, she thought as she determined not to let this ass of a prince upset their leader's plans.

She kept her attention on Skyre as Rederick approached her with his query. His concern about trust was a valid one, especially in light of Helia's betrayal.

Desiree smiled and her bright, blue eyes turned to Rederick. "I am ever hopeful," she said with her voice light and unhindered by her earlier brooding over Cyril, "that there are many whom the Shadow King and his ilk had not conquered. While I understand and appreciate your very valid concern about trust, I'm not sure that is a luxury that we can afford."

"While we have Skyre as our de facto leader," she continued in a lower voice, "we don't really have any organization amongst us. To whom do we turn if he is ... incapacitated? We probably ought to set up a loose chain of command or such, but it would need to have everyone's buy-in." Desiree's attention turned back to the fire. "I doubt that his highness would agree to anyone ordering him about, and I'm not so sure that the small level of trust that the rest of the group has with each other is enough to convince them to take orders."

She sighed and crossed her arms. I really miss my quarterstaff, she thought as she used to tap it on the ground as a focus point for when she was concentrating on a problem. Instead, she chewed on her lower lip.

"I don't know what more this group can do to foster the necessary trust within it," Desiree said at last. "We've all been through a hell-storm lately, where we've all had to trust each other to cover our skins, and still there is a palpable mistrust in the air." She smirked lightly at her statement. Of course she couldn't taste or feel that mistrust in her element, but she could easily observe it in the mannerisms and body languages of the party.

"If the last few days weren't enough to earn the trust of everyone here, Helia notwithstanding, then I doubt that we will ever succeed," Desiree concluded with a sour expression. "More's the pity, as we have a solid core group here upon which I envision a significant army of resistance could be built, but I'm not sure that the rest see things with my overly optimistic eyes."

Desiree returned her blue eyes to Rederick, in which calm conviction burned deep. "I have lately come to a much clearer understanding of my element," she said as she kept her voice low for just him to hear, "and I know that, in time, my strength will grow to a point even which I cannot yet fathom. I am much more powerful today than any of my instructors at the university ever were, and it keeps growing. What took significant effort for me in the past is now a mere thought or whim." She paused." But I cannot do this alone. I need time – we need time – to gather our resources and plan our actions with pin-point accuracy. Once the Shadow King's court is stripped from his control, we can strike at him and the power I will then wield will either kill him or me. This destiny has slowly been revealed to me, and you are the only one to whom I have shared it. I haven't even told Skyre, and will probably keep it a secret from him lest his over-protective sense of honor seek to change it."

Desiree's countenance allowed no room for argument. She was set in this fate and Rederick would see that there would be nothing to dissuade her from it.

"So, you see," she continued, "it is imperative that we trust each other if we are to have any chance at all to survive to see that day."

Last edited by a moderator:
Rusar had seen others still waking when she left the cave falling into in some sort of morning ritual that she'd formed the past few days of traveling. Luck had been kind to the group with sizable rivers flowing through the hills an mountains they were climbing. Meaning easy access to fish but also a chance to wash off the dust and dirt that came with traveling nearly the entire day traveling. To some it seemed pointless to wash up just to go on another long venture but the chilled water helped wash away any lingering sleep. The water was specially welcoming since it helped shake free of what was left of Rusars dream.

The huntress sloshed through the water her boots left a shore with her cloak, spread in the sun to allow from drying, and her other belongings. Only thing she kept in hand was her bow and quiver which never left her side. Having no net to fish with had made catching fish more of a challenge but the practice was welcomed. Ru brushed her damn locks a side, the dark blond locks sticking to her neck back and face. She tracked a small school of salmon which were traveling up stream making the slower than other which followed the current. She breathed in as she took aim before letting loss the arrow, the arrow struck true and she let out her held breath smirking slightly as she retried the fish. She chuckled softly realizing she'd caught a smaller fish along side the larger on. "Two fish one arrow." She muttered before pulling the arrow free from the fish tossing her catch aside with the other four she'd already caught. Even if they weren't eaten in the morning they could be cooked and set aside for later on.

A few shots latter her catch total was up to seven, Ru looked up spy sun light flattering through the canopy over head and figured she had been gone long enough. Still there was one thing she wanted to try before going back. While it was nice traveling in a group and much less lonely she also enjoyed her peace and quiet which being on her own brought. Being on her own also meant she didn't have to hide as much. Rusar carefully looked around for any signs of life human or other making she no one was around before she stood still with in the constantly flowing water focusing on the numerous hidden shadows bringing them to her control. She spread her fingers feeling the tendrils of darkness pulling them from their hiding place as if they were clay. She spotted another small group of fish just up stream clustered close together. The magician flicked her wrist pulling up the thing shadows weaving together in a crossing patting effectively trapping the group fish. She pulled her right hand out to the side and floundering fish were dragged to the edge of the river and tossed up beside the other she had caught.

The shadows melted back into their natural position as Rusar released her control leaving no real trace she had even used the dark magic. She smirked slightly, "Somethings are never forgotten..." She muttered "Despite how hard you try to forget it..." She thought sharing at her hand a moment as the tingling sensation of control faded away. She still wasn't too keen on using the magic but wouldn't reject it any more either. She moved towards the shore to start heading back to camp. She let the familiar warmth of her fire magic flow around her evaporating the water on her skin and clothes. She pulled her hair into its usual pony tail before dawning her boots and collecting her belongings.

When Rusar got back to camp almost everyone was awake and the prince was cooking up rabbit, personally she had enough of rabbit for a while, hence the fishing. "Smells good" She spoke up arriving by the fire.

Ethan watched the group waking and the sign of the prince dashing in with rabbits yet covered in dirt was slightly amusing considering the young man's personality. Still there was a deep resentment towards the prince as with any noble their attitude gave him the aura of someone who felt they deserved everything sheer cause they where born into a name. Still he kept quite about it not seeking to cause anymore issue since the battles days before. Even when Ethan had discovered several of his herbs missing he felt it wasn't worth the bother anymore to push his views on someone who's mind was stiff as stone.

The wisp floated slightly towards Ethan's left side as it pulsed, a faint voice whispered "...it's time." as he looked to the orb with a slight curious trait. The same voice that echoed in his dream was now whispering in his head while awake and while it would seem a sign of worry Ethan felt comfort and curious to examine this new found connection this voice gave him. Checking his hat now dry he placed it upon his head and walked down towards the edge of the forest that met the mountain. Bowing his head towards Desiree and Rederick who seemed in their own conversation Ethan looked for more foliage to gather. Removing the gray vials from his satchel they had begun to show a slight golden hue to them which helped Ethan in figuring how many days he was out. Noting it would take another six days for the potions to mature he figured his exhaustion only cost him a day in half. The wisp continued to float back and forth hovering over moss, roots, and the occasional flower.

When he ventured further in he stopped to finally figure out what this voice was all about as he sent his hand out towards the wisp which followed in motion resting softly on his palm. He attempted at first to speak to it directly "What are you?", but the silence and gentle hum was all the ball of light revealed with no change to its appearance. Ethan attempted several more times speaking in various volumes and distance but still it would not react. Finally thinking back to his dream Ethan summoned his magic slowly. Trails of blue like mist rose around him circling his body like streams before he finally opened his now glowing eyes. He then spoke not in voice but in thought once more towards the wisp "What are you?". It was then the wisp's pulses stopped and the light began to flutter brightly and a soft gentle voice spoke from the orb "I am a part of you Ethan." as his heart raced from the message.

He continued to inquire this disturbing new trick fearing if he had fallen under possession like Helia. "Why now do you speak to me if you where always with me?" his thought echoed like that of a voice in a long stoned tunnel. The orb responded back faintly "You have never relied more then you did with your magic till now Ethan. Your body was not capable of this form of communication till now." as he felt his legs get heavy from the drawing of their magic "In time we will do much more but for now know I am with you Ethan..." as he felt the voice fade and the light die out his eyes going back to their natural hue. Leaning unto a tree for support the wisp floated back to his shoulder once more in his control. Its pulses returning back to a faint and slow beat. Ethan took a moment to catch his breath and relax realizing now that whatever this was it wasn't evil, but if what it said was true then he would need to work harder to improve his body and magic in order to grasp this connection. Noting the daylight rising Ethan reached for his satchel and tucked away the remaining herbs, roots, and few tubers he found growing nearby. Figuring the two rabbit wouldn't hold out the group he figured a good soup with the meat may be more lively and stretch the meal further.

Slowly he made his way back to the camp laying the tubers and mixed greens near the fire by Rusar noting her catch of fish. Turning to Ari Ethan sat down quietly smiling at the young short hair girl as he dusted off his hat and cloak. "Did you rest well Ari?" as he removed some mint leaves chewing them lightly to clear his mouth offering one to the woman "I hope you are fairing well as the group looks to be in good shape since that incident." Ethan kept himself in a calm and relaxed form knowing for now even with the betrayal of Helia that his trust in this group was still worth it and hoped that in time he could see them survive this nightmare of shadows. Though the looming thought of his teacher's life hanged in the back of his mind Ethan kept himself focused at the best possible outcome and prayed they would make it through more peaceful days like this one keeping to the present and supporting them in their trek as they move forward.

Rederik kept his eyes on the blonde, his brow furrowed in concentration as he took in the weight of her words. Desiree looked determined in her ideas and confident in what she believed to be the only outcomes. He had never been so sure in life like her, and had always taken in every possible variable no matter how small. She saw the end having only two possible outcomes. But he saw all the other variables and possibilities that could come from such an endeavor. It was in his nature to consider such things.

Worry was something he pushed back from his mind. This was Desiree's decision to make, and the more he thought on it the more it made sense. She was driven and convinced in her beliefs that this was the only way it would go. Rederik believed she was powerful, and likely the most powerful of the group. If she is as confident in her abilities with the wind as she says, it was likely she could just be the one to help end the Shadow King's tyranny.

His gaze turned briefly to Ethan as he left, his head bowing to the alchemist before turning to look upon Skyre. It was likely their leader would not understand the risk Desiree would put herself through. His feelings for her were more and more apparent, and Rederik knew those feelings were the cause of many split-second mistakes. He knew it wasn't a matter of Skyre not trusting Desiree to be able to act and act well, but the possibility of losing her. Love was something Rederik felt he could never fully comprehend.

"I trust in you and your abilities," Rederik said to Desiree quietly. He turned his gaze back to the blonde. "I also trust that you will take every variable into consideration before it is time for you to act. When the time comes, I will follow your lead. I do not believe some will understand."

Given the chance, Rederik knew he would sacrifice himself to end all the evil that plagued Valia. He also knew that he likely would never be given an opportunity with such odds. Desiree, on the other hand, held the potential. During the short time he'd been with the group, he had witnessed her abilities on numerous occasions. She could very well be their best gambit, and he would insure she would be given the opportunity to strike when the moment arises. Her survival, however, rested in no one's hands but her own.

Desiree raked her straight, blonde hair back from her face with her fingers. She nodded to Rederick. "Thank you for your trust," she said with a sincere smile which further lit up the already brightening morning, "and I will do what I can to take into consideration more than just my destiny. The Shadow King's blight affects us all, as will my actions when that confrontation arises."

Rusar's catch of the morning, collected together with Ethan's roots and herbs started a small gathering near the fire as the two of them, along with Cyril, discussed the most efficient use of their combined fare. It warmed Desiree's heart to see them working together. Days before, they had barely spoken to anyone in the group and now they were functioning more like a team.

Or like a family? The inner voice startled her with its question and the slight shock played across her face before she was able to hide it. She hadn't considered the party to be so intimately entwined as to be like a family. But, the definition made some sense in that they all shared a somewhat singular purpose and equally gave and received of themselves for the overall good of the whole.

Desiree chuckled as she regained her earlier composure. "Sorry, just an odd thought," she said by way of explanation to Rederick.

She laid a gentle, warm touch on Rederick's arm and looked at him with her bright, blue eyes full of verve. "Thank you, again," she said with affection in her tone, "for also keeping my secret. You probably can't know the weight that has been lifted knowing that I've been able to tell someone."

Desiree returned her attention to the trio of chefs as they worked together. Even the pompous prince appeared to be making a genuine attempt to be more accommodating and less of an arrogant ass. Well, every family has its flaws, she thought with a gentle smile. As long as Cyril sincerely tried to fit in, then she would work her best to accept him.

She took her leave of Rederick with a nod and a pat on his arm, and exited to the edge of the cave's entrance. The morning sun bathed her in an seemingly unnatural nimbus of light as she held out her arms from her sides and accepted the air around her. Her shirt and cloak rippled lightly in a localized breeze as the wind played over her. Desiree's soft, blonde hair lifted and fell in a waved pattern as the wind ran through it.

Good morning to you, too, she thought to her element as it caressed her cheek and danced gently around her. While communing with the air in this manner, Desiree never felt happier. She and her element were one and the same as she willingly opened herself to it and it to her. To any within the cave who observed her, she gave an almost awe-inspiring appearance of being the quintessential avatar of the air.

With her face to the sun, slow tears eased from Desiree's filled eyes as she contemplated her fate. Losing to the Shadow King would rip her element from her, the earlier loss of which she painfully recollected. It would also mean the deaths of those within the cave behind her, and the knowledge that their lives depended on her success was not an easy burden to shoulder. Desiree had grown fond of them in their short time together and even though Skyre was the group's leader she still felt a deep responsibility for them all.

We'll be together until the end, came the thought, but Desiree could not discern whether it was her own hope or the suggestion from her inner voice. Either way, the idea gave her some small comfort as she resolved that it would simply be so.

Desiree wiped her face with her hands and took a deep, cleansing breath. The currents of air around her dissipated and the nimbus of light diminished. She was, again, simply Desiree Tanner, a third term wind mage with nothing to show for it but the very clothes that she wore.

"Ah, more supplies!" Cyril chimed, taking the fish from Rusar with a charmed smile, and beginning to cook them in the same emphatic style. Having kept to himself for the previous two days, he was now all over the fireplace. Perhaps surprisingly, the meal smelt better than usual - less like scrambled together survivors food and more like a proper meal. The rabbit finished, he removed it from the fire and began to slice it neatly into long strips. Placing Ethan's soup above the fire, he fexed his fingers and his hand was coated with a white glow. Reaching into the flames, he began to carefully debone the fish, seemingly oblivious to being burned. Knelt over, tongue outstretched, it was hardly a position of royal grace, but Cyril seemed full of determination.

Meanwhile, Skyre smiled back at Lapis, but finding himself with nothing else to say, he withdrew to the cave wall once more and watched as various people funneled in and out of the cave. Working in synchronious harmony. Skyre smiled. We're like some kind of wildsman's contraption - we work together just fine, held together by a shared goal, but still not truly anything more than similar acquiantances.

Suddenly his smile fell, and Skyre felt his pulse quicken once more. Not this again, he cursed, visibly unconfortable. That same hallowness as two days before. But why? What's causing it? Scanning around camp, he reassured himself that there was no reason to be concerned - everybody was relatively happy and chatting among themselves. So why did he feel like his lungs were being drained? Why did he feel like the cave walls were collapsing around him?

His eyes fell on Desiree, who was speaking with Rederik. They seemed to be in some kind of intense debate, and he couldn't help but notice that they kept on turning around and looking at him. I wonder what they're talking about, and where I come into it. He contemplated for a brief second manipulating the wind to funnel their conversation straight to his ears, but he wouldn't be so sly. And besides, if he did, Desiree would notice. Something in the way she smiled and touched Rederik's arms as he left doubled his heartrate again. He could almost imagine the softness of her fingers agains his cloak. But the thought didn't make him smile.

If there was one thing Skyre couldn't cope with, it was confusion. Even in the most dangerous of situations, as long as there was nothing troubling him he could stay completely calm. But confusion shut him down like rain on a fire, rain from storm clouds that triple by the minute. Everybody else is happy, so why aren't I? And why can't I put my finger on it?

At the fireside, Cyril was putting the finishing touches to his breakfast masterpiece. For everybody, he had prepared a bowl of Ethan's soup, topped with various leafy vegetables he had collected from somewhere. At the side, two slices of fish, seasoned, stuck out of the side of a larger strip of rabbit. Cyril grinned, a little maniacally. I've prepared the food in a way these chaps and chapettes will delight in! This will most certainly be the best meal they have had in days! "The nosh is up, quit your lollygagging and eat!" he announced, insisting on handing out the bowls himself. The arrival of food was a welcome break for Skyre; he would finally have something else to concentrate on.

Thanking the prince, Skyre sat himself down by the entrance to the cave and examined the grub. It certainly looked more like a properly arranged meal as opposed to a slightly overcooked chunk of meat. Cautiously, he dipped a chunk of rabbit into the soup, and to his surprise, it tasted fantastic! Not normally one to focus on food, he couldn't really describe it, but something about the flavours - the seasoning and the meat - connected superbly. Joyously finishing his mouthful, he tilted his head and watched the prince, amused. Cyril was still stood up, eyes bright, watching the expressions of those who ate.

Who would have known the prince can cook? Skyre smiled. I wonder how he learnt. Still haven't the foggiest how he caught those rabbits though. Turning back to his meal, he shielded his eyes as the sun reflected off of a sword in the cave entrance. A winged sword. Skyre's eyes narrowed as he recognised dull blood stains on his own blade. Thanks for asking, he thought to himself as he sheathed the weapon. There's another thing for the washing up list.

When it was clear that everybody was actually enjoying his creation, Cyril sat back and grinned. His gaze floated around the camp until it fell on Ethan, the alchemist with the rather silly hat. His hatred for me is still shockingly clear, but I suppose I was rather rude to him when we first met. Father would have wanted me to apologise, and I suppose it's long overdue. He stood up, and as casually as possible edged his way over to the alchemist's side.

"A most wonderful morning, don't you think, hat man?" he smiled uneasily, clearly blagging. "Your soup was well appreciated. Erm..."

Lapis accepted the soup, nodding to Cyril. She looked at the plate. It reminded her of her home. She smiled at the plate and murmured, "Just like old times." Before starting to eat. The soup was good, as well as the rest of it. She finished quickly, having been in a slumber for days. She set her bowl down on the floor and looked up at Cyril. She bowed playfully and sat on her knees, just like she used to do. After a few minutes though, her knees hurt like they had been whipped with a belt so she sat cross-legged on the floor. She sighed, her mind flooding with memories of her past. Sad, but sweet they were.

Ari had nodded simply at Ethan's question. She ate silently, unable to take her eyes off of Desiree as she spoke. Part of it was a polite gesture, but there was something else about it as well. Some kind of distant familiarity in Desiree's hair or her eyes or even her voice. Ari vacantly sipped her soup as Desiree rose and exited the cave. Her light hair flowed behind her as she walked, like a ray of sunlight. Or like --

Like the wind mage in her dream. Ari's brows furrowed as her eyes followed Desiree's exit. The dream was almost out of her mind and out of reach when she'd recalled it. There was no way to be certain if it was her, though her voice and magic and the way her hair fell all screamed otherwise. But then again, it was a stretch. So many had died since the fall. It was highly unlikely that any person from her past had survived, even someone she remotely remembered. Yet there was a strange kind of nostalgia in hoping that something, anything from her life before the fall still remained. A reminder that not everything was lost.

She had to know. It occurred to Ari that she hadn't really spoken personally to anyone in the group, save Ethan. And that would have been alright for her, but perhaps it was time to fix that. To create trust where she'd been so hesitant before. Ari set down her empty soup bowl and stood. She left the cave, contemplating a way to bring up the subject that wouldn't sound creepy or awkward.

The brightness of the sun hit her face as she stepped out of the cave's gloom. Ari squinted in the light, waiting for her eyes to adjust. She came to a halt near Desiree, still unsure of what to say. The lightning mage stood next to the wind mage, having approached casually so as not startle her. Though Ari didn't expect that Desiree was easily startled. She looked outward, almost lost in the crisp morning air. "Lovely morning," she remarked. "Did you sleep well?"

Desiree sensed the current of air nearby as Ari approached and the hint of rosemary teased her through the slight morning breeze that carried lightly across the entrance to the cave. She didn't acknowledge Ari's arrival; she simply waited for the lightning mage to speak.

"Every morning that I wake up free to be with my element is a lovely morning," Desiree said nonchalantly. Well, it was true but she felt sorry for being so casual with her response. No one else in their group could possibly understand the symbiotic relationship that Desiree had with the air.

"I'm sorry, Ari," Desiree replied in a kind voice. With a smile of mirth, she added, "I slept well enough. Our palatial accommodations were simply heavenly."

Desiree turned her happy, bright, blue eyes to Ari and tried her best to not seem so intimidating. She was uncertain which members of the party viewed her with trust and which were still concerned about her violent and sometimes erratic displays with her talent. She wanted to tell them all that she was in control now, but doubted that any other than Skyre would believe her until she found the opportunity to prove it. Well, perhaps Rederick now trusts me, she concluded.

"How about you?" Desiree asked politely. She hadn't had much interaction with Ari since the lightning mage mainly kept to herself and away from the rest of the group. Desiree respected her desire to remain apart, but as things progressed she knew that Ari would have to start accepting the rest of them if they were to have any success with combining their talents.

"Did you get a chance to sample our highness' fare?" Desiree asked with a bit of sarcasm.

Ari smirked at the sarcastic remark. She certainly wasn't one to defend Cyril, but poking fun at him was perfectly fine with her. "Oh, yes. Surprisingly delicious." Ari replied, her voice seemingly sincere. "Though I'm sure Skyre would have enjoyed it more had it not been for the rabbit blood on his sword." She appreciated Desiree's attempt to break the stiff politeness required by these first-time personal interactions. "And I slept alright, I guess." She added, returning to a casual tone. "The cave atmosphere is a bit dulling to my magical contact. I didn't realize it until I stepped out, but I don't think I'll be going in again any time soon." It felt strangely comfortable to Ari, sharing such a thing with Desiree. Perhaps it was because she'd had similar experiences. It was a relatable feeling between the two of them, different though their magical disciplines were. And Ari had nodded slightly at Desiree's comment about her morning. Free with her element... she thought. What a curious choice of words. At least to Ari they were, given her whole magic-less, underground in chains experience. She remembered how Desiree had handled her loss of magic, the very day before Ari had a similar (albeit less natural) situation. Perhaps they had more in common than the lightning mage originally assumed.

But the time was well at hand to see whether they had one more thing in common. Ari sat down on the sun-warmed ground, stretching out her legs. "Dreams as usual, as far as sleeping goes. I guess you're no stranger to those."

Naraya yawned loudly as Rederik approached her with a plate of soup and meat. He couldn't recall the last well-prepared meal he had, and the smell was overwhelmingly welcomed. The thought of a former member of the royal party not only knowing how to hunt but how to cook never crossed his mind. He never had the chance to even meet a nobleman before the fall, much less understand their lifestyles. In his mind, the only thought was gratefulness not only for the food but for Cyril beginning to move on from the loss of Gregor. Before taking his leave from the fireside, he was sure to express his gratitude to the prince.

As Rederik sat, Naraya inched closer to him and placed a large paw in his lap. A chuckle escaped him as he offered the first bite of fish to the feline. She quickly devoured the small piece and begged for more, her body leaning heavily on his side as she glanced between his plate and his eyes. It would be easier for her to hunt for her own food, and yet she took to begging for scraps.

Conversations within the cave echoed throughout the hollow. Despite their voices being somewhat magnified by natural acoustics, it was still a blur of words for those outside of the groups. Rederik looked over each individual as he typically did when he had the time. Was Warren still asleep even after all this noise and wonderful smells? Before he could observe the others, his eyes fell on Rusar. He had never properly met the fiery archer, and her bow was intriguing still.

He wondered about her supplies as he finished his soup. Rederik grew up as a bowyer's son, aiding in their craftsmanship when the need arose. It was possible her arrows were just as specially made as her bow, and he did not understand the runes. He understood their application, however, after witnessing her fight. It was incredibly clever, and the concept was one he knew his father would have loved to hear about and would have likely sought out for the maker of such a weapon.

The memory of his father brought back a sadness he had pushed away. The feeling often settled into his soul if he let it linger for too long, making him lethargic and often unwilling to carry on. With a small grunt, he pushed himself to a stand and set aside his meal's remnants for Naraya to clean. There was still a discomfort from his wound he suffered two days ago, but whatever Ethan gave him appeared to quicken his recovery.

"If I may inquire," Rederik began as he approached Rusar, "how fair your supplies? I once worked for a bowyer. If you need more arrows or require repairs, I may be of service."

Desiree smiled as Ari sat down in the grass nearby. "No," she replied, "I'm certainly no stranger to dreams, or rather they are no stranger to me. It's funny, actually, that I've had far more of those lately than at any time that I can remember."

Too many, she thought as she recalled the one about Deckard. And now, another one about her time at the university. Was something trying to tell her something?

As for Ari's sense of dulling of her own magic, Desiree could sympathize. Until she had regained her contact with the air, Desiree felt as if her own senses were dulled in comparison to the clarity with which she communed with her element now.

It still amazed Desiree how simple everything had become since that moment when she had completely lost her magic and then regained it. She recalled in her latest dream how Professor Hagen had manipulated the objects in the room without even making a motion – he just willed it, and it was so.

And now, Desiree had that level of control.

No, it was more than that. Professor Hagen may have controlled the air in the room during her exercises, but Desiree's relationship with the element was .... different. It wanted her to touch it, manipulate it and use it. Desiree's influence over the air was effortless now, although she still had to be cautious as working with her talent would drain her endurance. That was the hardest part for her now: not controlling the element, but rather controlling her use of it.

Desiree returned to the present as she realized an uncomfortable pause had settle between her and Ari. She shook her head and chuckled. "Sorry, you mentioned dreaming and I was remembering the one that I just had last night about ... well, about one time at the university."

She knelt down on the grass near Ari, but not so close as to spook the other mage, and tucked her long, blonde hair behind her ears. "I had one of the worst professors," Desiree said, "and he constantly nagged me about controlling my element. Can you imagine?" She laughed lightly. It was a pleasant, almost infectious laugh. "It seemed every lesson he taught was about control, but I was much less in tuned to things then than I am now."

Desiree leaned in a bit closer and in a lower voice, she said, "But I kicked his sorry ass one day, and never had to listen to his nasally lectures again." Her blue eyes danced in victory as the light from the morning sun shone in them and her face took on an expression of total satisfaction.

Ethan nodded as Ari walked out towards Desiree. Their seemed to be something that drew her attention to the wind mage, but what it was Ethan could not figure. Still he kept to his business not wishing to be rude till a bowl was offered to him by the young prince. Cyril seemed so excited to have made the meal and in all honesty for Ethan it did smell divine. Soaking the rabbit a bit in the soup as he removed some sour roots to mix in Ethan let the flavor soak and coat his tongue. It was a meal that was worth its weight in gold versus the days of quickly cooked meat or cold vegetables this meal warmed the body and the soul.

For the most part Ethan took his time to enjoy the meal till the young prince venture back attempting to make idle conversation with him. Though his cocky tone seemed to have diminished Ethan kept himself guarded so not to fall into another battle of wits. Removing some dry leaves to wrap the fish for later Ethan nodded to the prince as he cleared his throat with some water from the skin pouch. "Indeed it is...and thanks for your skill with the meal." though the words slightly chocked up in his throat Ethan tried to be civil for Skyre's sake not wishing to cause commotion especially since the prince for now has kept himself behaved to an extent. "I hope though it'll give the group enough energy for the journey as I am sure we'll be needing to move out before too long." as he placed his back to the wall and kept his satchel close.

Ethan wasn't one to judge most people but there was something about nobles that always gave him an itch that drove his nerves to no end. Perhaps it was due to the family past or a form of jealous that they had it easier life then his. Still the prince was a different matter entirely, sure his pompous attitude and undeserving nature was like any noble, but perhaps it was more to the fact he was gifted in a talent that Ethan's father had and he was never bestowed. The pain of knowing his dream of being a medicine man was useless in a world where a wave of a hand could cure what ales them. "Calm yourself..." a voice whispered as the wisp floated near his shoulder its light illuminating the cave in contrast with the fire. Ethan took another deep breath then looked to the prince at least for now as just another man "I am sorry about your friend and servant, I am glad to see you are holding up well." as his hand traced his master's symbol on his satchel "...and I hope we both find what where searching for in this world." as Ethan drank up the rest of the soup clearing the warm broth that remained on his lips.

"Indeed," Cyril nodded along to Ethan's words, paying him a little attention but clearly not duly devoting himself to listening. Because his mind was two busy churning through what to say. When Gregor was brought up, he cocked his head with a distant smile, but unlike most didn't seem to be troubled by his friend's death. "Oh, you're sorry for Gregor?" he said, "Then don't be. He died heroically, just as he'd have wanted to, in fact he insisted upon it. There was nothing any of us could have done to stop him. No, I don't feel sad for his loss - he wouldn't want me to waste time on that, and so onwards, merrily, I press, towards our destinies. It was the same with my father."

"Anyhow, I didn't approach you to talk about the dead," the price dismissed the rather serious matter with a wave of the hand, "Believe it or not, I actually came to apologise." He chuckled a little uneasily, stretching out his arms behind him. "You see, in hindsight I realise that I was quite a rotter to you when we first met. It was most appalling, so indeed, erm... thanks." His eyes darted around camp. It was a new experience for him, putting himself below others, and one he was eager not to repeat. He was steadily waiting for somebody to compliment and ask him where he learnt to cook: now there was a gallant tale worth telling!

Rusar was a bit surprised when Cyril rook over the cooking but didn't complain. She honestly didn't pay much mind to the prince's faults which irritated most of the others, Warren specially. But the sudden shift in mannerisms was welcomed and a bit interesting. The meal tasted delicious as it smelled, reminding her of meals she had taken for granted before the invasion. She ate her share savoring the meal "That was very good." She smiled slightly over to Ethan and Cyril. She noticed Warren was absent from the fire place and sighed sightly.

"Be right back" She muttered venturing into the cave greeted by the sound of obnoxious snoring. She reached the sleeping warren smirking slightly before poking his side with the end of her bow. "Hey, Time to get up. Breakfast has already been served"

It was the second time Rusar had not heard Rederik, and as the girl left to wake Warren, he couldn't help but feel strange. He had experienced many negative reactions in terms of his appearance in the past, but he had never been completely ignored as Rusar had displayed. He looked back at Naraya who happily licked the soup bowl clean, her massive paws holding it in place on the cavern floor. Standing where he was made him feel awkward, and so he went back to sit with his friend.

His hand stroked the white fur upon Naraya's neck as he tried to settle the odd feeling his encounter presented to him. Had he done something in their first encounter that would call for her to actively ignore him? Was it his appearance? Old insecurities resurfaced, and he began to miss Jnar and his family. Before the sadness could fully creep back into his mind, he was reminded that there were others accepting of him. Desiree confided a secret to him and no one else, Ethan saved his life in more ways than one, Skyre was accepting of everyone. It wasn't so bad if someone did not accept him, and it felt it was bound to happen anyway.

Warren grumbled, something along the lines of "Dip me in honey and throw me to the bears...just so I can eat em..."

His drool was suddenly sucked up his drool as he was bumped with a....stick?

No, a bow. Ummmm....one person would do that.

"Wwwhat'dya want Rus?" Warren grumbled as he shifted himself awake.

He propped himself up and sat on floor with his back to the cave as he stretched himself awake.

Warren's nose perked up at the smell of food. It wasn't steak, but....rabbit?

Eh, he got sick of rabbit but he guessed it would do. Maybe he should maim another animal with his rock ability.

"Sun's alright up and it's almost mid morning." Rusar chuckled shaking her head noticing the frown on the earth magicians face. "I fished up some salmon so its not only rabbit. Not steak but its something." She smirked having over heard the mans muttering in his sleep but honestly not really surprised by it.

"Huh. I guess I'm not the only one who dreamt of university days last night." Ari remarked, noting how strongly Desiree resembled the figure from her dream with that expression. The lightning mage turned towards the sun, not wishing to be caught staring for any reason. But there was no mistaking the similarity. Ari was almost certain now that Desiree had been the dream assailant. Almost.

"It's funny you should mention that, actually. I could imagine such a thing." She gave a short laugh. "Even in my first year, annoying professors were no oddity. Two of them visited my dream last night. One I didn't know too well. He was a wind professor I'd never had and never would, but that didn't stop it from being funny when he blasted through the classroom walls." She turned towards Desiree with a sly smirk, watching for any change of expression in her face.

Desiree's blue eyes thinned at Ari's mention of Professor Hagen's "accident". It was no big secret that it had happened, but there were pains taken to keep Desiree's name from the account. Had Ari been in the next classroom at the time?

It doesn't matter anymore, her inner voice said. The university was destroyed by the Shadow King's hand, so there is nothing to protect any longer.

Ari's smirk was almost conspiratorial, as if she already knew Desiree's part in the farce. Her bright blue eyes softened as Desiree shifted from her knees to sit on the grass closer to Ari. If Ari wanted the truth, then she would have to deal with Desiree's proximity to hear it.

"Professor Hagen was the absolute worst," Desiree started as her expression lightened in her recanting, "and I suffered such scorn and humiliation at his instruction." Not to mention the scorn and humiliation from his son, she thought, but that was a far deeper secret than she was ready to reveal.

Desiree absently picked at the grass between them as she cast her gaze out beyond the cave's entrance. The sun sparkled over her golden hair where it cascaded softly over her shoulders like rivers of honey.

"Not everyone knows this," she continued as she stared off toward the valley below them, "so I'd appreciate it if you would keep what I'm about to tell you between us." Desiree turned her friendly, sincere eyes to Ari. "Is it a deal?" she asked with a wry grin.

Ari laughed brief, comforting laugh. "I thought it was you!" Her suspicions had been confirmed, though it was true Ari would have been more surprised if it had turned out any other way. Still, it was a relief to think that someone from her old university had survived the fall. Seems it was a small world after all. And it's only going to get smaller... the thought crossed Ari's mind as her smile fell. She pushed it away in an effort to maintain her conversation. Now was a better time than any to make some friends and as long as Desiree was willing to share...

She nodded to Desiree in a promise to keep her secret safe. "My lips are sealed." Ari said in absolute sincerity. She raked her short hair away from her eyes, waiting for Desiree to fill the holes in the story that had been so incomplete until now.

It warmed Desiree's spirit to hear Ari laugh. The girl's laughter was pure and wholesome and Desiree couldn't keep her smile from broadening at it as her blue eyes glinted with life and happiness that the wind mage harbored within her breast.

"Ok, then," Desiree said as she scooted closer to Ari, with their shoulders touching, in effort to keep her voice low and unheard by those within the cave.

"It was near the middle of my third term," Desiree started, "and Professor Hagen (she pinched her nose to mimic the man's nasally voice when she said his name) was my primary instructor. He was a very good wind mage in his own right and had been at the university for more years than most could remember."

"Anyway, since the faculty had determined that my ... unorthodox ... connection with my element was a hazard to other students, I was graced with the professor's sole attention for the term," Desiree said, with no attempt to hide the sarcasm in her opinion of Professor Hagen.

"He tested me rather than instructed me," she said, "usually by throwing objects at me and forcing me to either deflect of avoid them with the air." Desiree's voice became distant as she said, "He never had any idea of the amount of potential I truly had then." With a dismissive hand, Desiree waved away the thought and continued. "I had been secretly studying my talent on my own, outside of class and outside of the professor's supervision, " she said, knowing that Ari would recall this as a cardinal rule at the university that was never to be broken.

"I had become stronger than any other wind mage in my term," she said in a tone meant to not be bragging or prideful, "and many fourth term students as well. I probably surpassed a few of the faculty, too, such was the intensity of my talent."

"But Professor Hagen wanted me to not only manipulate the air, but to control it as well," she said. Desiree's expression changed to one of slight confusion as a small frown furrowed her brow. "He never understood that the wind could never be controlled. The best one could manage would be to to try to manipulate it and hope it worked out. The stronger the mage, the easier it is to bend the element to one's will, but ... well," her frown dissipated only to be replaced by a light blush of embarrassment on her cheeks, "the air ... doesn't really like that."

Desiree sighed a moment and rubbed her face with her hands as she collected her thoughts.

"Sorry, I kinda got off track," she apologized and leaned close in to Ari again. "One day, for lesson, Professor Hagen was trying to teach me that very type of control of my element. I was doing well enough, but he began to increase the number and speed of objects he launched at me. Along with this, he hurled insults at me – ME -- probably his only equal with the wind!"

Desiree's voice, although still hushed, gained in strength. "So, I showed him exactly what I was capable of. I summoned every particle of air in the room, and blasted him through the wall."

Desiree regained that confident smile of victory that Ari had seen before. She was in complete control of herself now, and exuded confidence in her talent. Desiree laughed with a hint of wildness. "I shoved his scrawny ass through that wall, and it felt so good!" she said.

"I don't remember much after that as I had passed out from the exertion," Desiree said, "but I never had Professor Hagen as an instructor again. And, well, later that term ... " She paused. ".... That's a different secret for perhaps a different time."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back