• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The long-lasting thread building

Mykinkaiser said:
One thing I would like is multiple cultures, even if we do end up doing one of the suggestions @Mollisol posted. Just like with multiple races, having multiple cultures sets up a world better and allows for a more living world imo
agreed. I think that is point a lot of us share, actually.

Idea said:
I´ll second this
based off of them how?
Like... in terms of culture and technology levels. Like, I'm not sure if you're familiar with Choice of Games, but their game Choice of the Petal Throne was inspired by Mesoamerican culture, and their Heroes Rise series is implied to be on another world but mirrors a far-future version of America.

Idea said:
agreed. I think that is point a lot of us share, actually.
Figured that, but thought that I might as well put it out there. Especially since I am still interested in European inspired settings and most of what I've heard is pulling away from that. Not that I'm against the use of other cultures, I just also want to include those ones.

Mykinkaiser said:
Figured that, but thought that I might as well put it out there. Especially since I am still interested in European inspired settings and most of what I've heard is pulling away from that. Not that I'm against the use of other cultures, I just also want to include those ones.
We could include some of a European inspired culture, some of a culture (perhaps) that I've suggested, and some others. I for one am not opposed to European cultures themselves, just a specific time period that also uses specific races/"classes".

Mollisol said:
We could include some of a European inspired culture, some of a culture (perhaps) that I've suggested, and some others. I for one am not opposed to European cultures themselves, just a specific time period that also uses specific races/"classes".
Works for me :)

And while I do enjoy medieval european fantasy settings I am in several of those types atm so I completely support a modern fantasy setting, haven't really done that before and it sounds interesting.

so far, in respects to everyone´s wishes, I think we´d be looking at a class-divided kind of atmosphere in a futuristic fantasy. modern, futuristic and steampunk seem to be the most wanted tech degrees , with medieval having an almost unanimous rejection. Modern has also been specifically requested to not appear and steampunk could appear in the form of lower classes who can´t afford the latest tech and have to work with scraps.

As for cultures based off of the current ones, I only have one small objection: If you are gonna make similar cultures, you´ll need a background that is similar enough to justify it. However, European culture namely was highly influenced by Christian beliefs, which would break my limits to use or try to mimic. One thing we could do would be try to reproduce a polytheistic religion of sorts to those cultures and try to adapt the events that lead to the cultures people want to mimic adapted to that one.

Idea said:
so far, in respects to everyone´s wishes, I think we´d be looking at a class-divided kind of atmosphere in a futuristic fantasy. modern, futuristic and steampunk seem to be the most wanted tech degrees , with medieval having an almost unanimous rejection. Modern has also been specifically requested to not appear and steampunk could appear in the form of lower classes who can´t afford the latest tech and have to work with scraps.
As for cultures based off of the current ones, I only have one small objection: If you are gonna make similar cultures, you´ll need a background that is similar enough to justify it. However, European culture namely was highly influenced by Christian beliefs, which would break my limits to use or try to mimic. One thing we could do would be try to reproduce a polytheistic religion of sorts to those cultures and try to adapt the events that lead to the cultures people want to mimic adapted to that one.
I have a feeling we might want to make multiple religions - so that it's balanced, but also because cultures tend to be influenced by religions, although maybe not to the degree European culture was by Christianity.

Mollisol said:
I have a feeling we might want to make multiple religions - so that it's balanced, but also because cultures tend to be influenced by religions, although maybe not to the degree European culture was by Christianity.
true, we may. I think it´s a bit overused to associate the religion with the magic, though.

Idea said:
true, we may. I think it´s a bit overused to associate the religion with the magic, though.
I agree. I have voiced my ideas and opinioms on magic, so I won't delve into detail.

And in regards to Europe being largely influenced by Christianity, that is mostly western Europe. East Eastern Europe is a bit different. Although largely christian now, Finland and the baltics were largely shaped by polytheism. Russia (which I realize partly in asia) was influenced quite a bit by Islam, (it's second biggest religion). That all being said, in contemporary times, yes, the majority are christian, and contemporary influences are christian.

Edit: And, it is worth noting, that the prominance of religion correlates inversely with the era. As the years go by in magnitudes, religion and it's morals change and dissipate.

Last edited by a moderator:
CalamariHero said:
I agree. I have voiced my ideas and opinioms on magic, so I won't delve into detail.
And in regards to Europe being largely influenced by Christianity, that is mostly western Europe. East Eastern Europe is a bit different. Although largely christian now, Finland and the baltics were largely shaped by polytheism. Russia (which I realize partly in asia) was influenced quite a bit by Islam, (it's second biggest religion). That all being said, in contemporary times, yes, the majority are christian, and contemporary influences are christian.

Edit: And, it is worth noting, that the prominance of religion correlates inversely with the era. As the years go by in magnitudes, religion and it's morals change and dissipate.
I think it is worth noting that, given the context, what was being referred to was the more general European culture which was almost entirely given great influence from Christianity. This is not to say other religions didn´t play a part in it´s culture, just that the majority was Christian.

And either way, my point back there was simply that in an RP I make, there isn´t going to be religion unless it´s made up, and that copy-cat religions (at least as far as monotheism goes) will not ring with me either, in the sense that they will break my limits.

Idea said:
I think it is worth noting that, given the context, what was being referred to was the more general European culture which was almost entirely given great influence from Christianity. This is not to say other religions didn´t play a part in it´s culture, just that the majority was Christian.
And either way, my point back there was simply that in an RP I make, there isn´t going to be religion unless it´s made up, and that copy-cat religions (at least as far as monotheism goes) will not ring with me either, in the sense that they will break my limits.
And perfectly understandable that is.

I was making some point related to something someone else had said in conjunction to what you were saying, but to be honest, I lost that train of thought.

So yes, of course we aren't mimicking religions.

Now that I think about it. I think my post was more about european culture and it's influences, and less so religion itself. Something like that.

anyway, I´ll be gone tomorrow, but after that I´ll set up a new tab to write down the agreed upon ideas. At the time, I will also set the first pool so we can determine what those are.

Sounds good, also I totally agree with you as well about the religion thing, I'd much rather have a made up religion rather than one based off of some other one in real life.

Mollisol said:
It's been a while; am I not getting notifications? Am I in the wrong place?
I haven't been getting notes either. Idea expected occasional inactiviy, but we should have gotten something up by now. I don't think we're in the wrong place either. Idea would've tagged us otherwise.

first set of voting then:

What time and tech setting would be best fitting for our roleplay? (please choose three options and detail if you answer C,D or E.)

A. Steampunk

B. Futuristic

C. A division of some kind in the society which would drive differences in the tech level among groups

D. A division where the society has a certain tech level and a given group has a different tech level

E. the same as D except that group consists of our characters.

This roleplay should take place in... (please pick two options)

A. Our world

B. A world based of our own

C. A world we come up with together

The culture of this world... (please pick 2-3 options)

A. Should be a single, unifying culture

B. Should be a series of cultures with one singular religion

C. Should be a series of cultures based on the cultures of our world

D. Should be a series of cultures each with their own religions and beliefs

Notes: You do not need to specify the reasons you choose a given option unless requested. You may still do it if you want to, though. To vote, post the questions of the latest set of voting, with the letters corresponding to your chosen answers next to them. The most chosen answers will be implemented and most likely not going back. In case of a tie in something that reasonably only has one answer, there will be a showdown of the options. The options presented here are the ones that, from my interpretation, were actively proposed and never rejected by the group.

@ApfelSeine @NinjaCat @billthesomething @PinkUnicorn @Mykinkaiser @CalamariHero @Mollisol @SomeAnimeWeirdo

note: sorry about the delay, I had to reread the entire thread with notes and in-depth thinking and stuff on top of everything else.

my answers:

1.What time and tech setting would be best fitting for our roleplay?- (B), ©, (D)

2.This roleplay should take place in...- (B), ©

3.The culture of this world...-(B), (D)

I didn't get notifications either. I only came back to check on this thread out of curiosity. Sorry for being inactive because of that O.o

1. What time and tech setting would be best fitting for our roleplay?

A, C, D

2. This roleplay should take place in...

C, B

3. The culture of this world...

D, C

ApfelSeine said:
I didn't get notifications either. I only came back to check on this thread out of curiosity. Sorry for being inactive because of that O.o
1. A, C, D

2. C, B

3. D, C
note: Please read the rules below the question set. There it says that before the answers, you should write the actual question they are answering. This is because there might be page shifts after the answers or responses in between answers, which can make it inconvenient to have to scroll to the questions every time.

I'm going to. I can't copy and paste right now since I'm on my phone. I'll edit it when I get back. Sorry, I should have specified that.

1.What time and tech setting would be best fitting for our roleplay?- A, C, D

2.This roleplay should take place in...- B, C

3.The culture of this world...- C, D

1. What time and tech setting would be best fitting for our roleplay? (please choose three options and detail if you answer C,D or E.)
    B or C or D; in the case of C or D, perhaps we should have socioeconomic class differences driving technology differences - and in the event that we use magic and possibly entwine it with technology, perhaps the people on one side of the divide use magic to make up for their lack of advanced technology.
  2. This roleplay should take place in... (please pick two options)
    B or C
  3. The culture of this world... (please pick 2-3 options)
    B or C

Mykinkaiser said:
1.What time and tech setting would be best fitting for our roleplay?- A, C, D
2.This roleplay should take place in...- B, C

3.The culture of this world...- C, D
Continuation to number 1. In regards to C we could also divide tech by culture/race, such as how in many conventional fantasy worlds the dwarves have better tech than other races, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back