• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The long-lasting thread building

One idea that I've always liked was a mesh of steampunk-styled machinery and magic. For example: a more traditional fantasy world with steampunk elements or vice versa

Mykinkaiser said:
One idea that I've always liked was a mesh of steampunk-styled machinery and magic. For example: a more traditional fantasy world with steampunk elements or vice versa
Oh. The style of magic me and Apfel were cooking up would go nicely in a steam punk environment.

CalamariHero said:
Oh. The style of magic me and Apfel were cooking up would go nicely in a steam punk environment.
HYPE

Steampunk is one of my favorite genres and unfortunately I've not found many rps about it

hmmm....kinda hate it, personally. Still, if everyone else wants it, I won´t be the ass to ruin the fun for y'all.

It really depends on how steam punky it is. I don't like it really, either, but I am okay with it if it is diluted in something else.

What kind of steampunk where you talking about, @Mykinkaiser?

Edit: I was really uust stating the realistic magic that me and Apfel made would work well with it, I didn't necessarily intend to promote a particular subgenre.

Last edited by a moderator:
I more meant the technology, I'm ok without the rest of it I just really like steampunk gadgets and weaponry and the like

Gadgets as in what? Is it the technological construct of the steampunk gadgets what attracts you or just gadgets in general?

Mykinkaiser said:
I more meant the technology, I'm ok without the rest of it I just really like steampunk gadgets and weaponry and the like
So like, guns and gizmos with gauges and pipes?

Idea said:
Gadgets as in what? Is it the technological construct of the steampunk gadgets what attracts you or just gadgets in general?
CalamariHero said:
So like, guns and gizmos with gauges and pipes?
Yeah, it's the technology itself and how it works that interests me. Also, I tend more towards the more physical side as in I'm not a huge fan of steampunk rayguns and the like.

Mykinkaiser said:
Yeah, it's the technology itself and how it works that interests me. Also, I tend more towards the more physical side as in I'm not a huge fan of steampunk rayguns and the like.
The unnecessary and exposed clockwork and steam pipes and the brown and brass colored machinery doesn't really do it for me. I prefer things to be more sci-fi and efficient (The reason for pitching the idea of grounding magic in reality.)

This isn't a "no" on my end... More of a vaguely negative indifferent.

Ok, however @Mykinkaiser , bear in mind that this roleplay will be, genre-wise, a fantasy first and foremost. That was the idea anyway. Just stating so we don't run into science fiction territory right from the beggining.

CalamariHero said:
The unnecessary and exposed clockwork and steam pipes and the brown and brass colored machinery doesn't really do it for me. I prefer things to be more sci-fi and efficient (The reason for pitching the idea of grounding magic in reality.)
This isn't a "no" on my end... More of a vaguely negative indifferent.
It's not really all of that but more the idea of that sort of machinery that via such unadvanced components manages to produce fantastical results

Idea said:
Ok, however @Mykinkaiser , bear in mind that this roleplay will be, genre-wise, a fantasy first and foremost. That was the idea anyway. Just stating so we don't run into science fiction territory right from the beggining.
I figured, just throwing an idea out there. If it's not taken so be it :)

Idea said:
Idea said:
@CalamariHero I guess the above applies to you too
To be fair, we really didn't declare a genre, beyond this being in the fantasy section. That being said, fantasy is a horrifically massive genre. I don't see how me generating a magic system falls outside of fantasy.

CalamariHero said:
To be fair, we really didn't declare a genre, beyond this being in the fantasy section. That being said, fantasy is a horrifically massive genre. I don't see how me generating a magic system falls outside of fantasy.
It doesn't. I am not saying we can't do anything else. In fact, if in the process of world building and brianstorming we end up reaching the conclusion that other genres fit better than fantasy, so be it. But that is something to do by the end...until then we are under the assumption this is a fantasy at core. Even if it has other genres, it is to remain a fantasy at heart not scifi or such.

Idea said:
It doesn't. I am not saying we can't do anything else. In fact, if in the process of world building and brianstorming we end up reaching the conclusion that other genres fit better than fantasy, so be it. But that is something to do by the end...until then we are under the assumption this is a fantasy at core. Even if it has other genres, it is to remain a fantasy at heart not scifi or such.
That is fine, I know how world building works. But all I've done was create a justified magic system. I didn't declare sci-fi by any means, or any genre for that matter. It was a system to combat "because magic". And I only stated, as a retort to steampunk, I would prefer a more sleek veneer to our rp.

CalamariHero said:
That is fine, I know how world building works. But all I've done was create a justified magic system. I didn't declare sci-fi by any means, or any genre for that matter. It was a system to combat "because magic". And I only stated, as a retort to steampunk, I would prefer a more sleek veneer to our rp.
I know I just said what I said as to avoid it happening (since it didn't yet, but it could happen)

Idea said:
I know I just said what I said as to avoid it happening (since it didn't yet, but it could happen)
Okay then. Anyhow. Back on topic, I suppose.

We should probably talk about what our magic is later; save what we have and put it on hold, as it were. Shall we start with what our environment is? Perhaps either a realistic planet or an abstraction of mythology. If the latter, we may have to work backwards and start with our culture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure this counts as an "environment," but I've had this idea in my mind since I heard about this and I wanted to save this until we started brainstorming ideas. Perhaps we could have a modern society mixed in with fantasy elements and creatures. Like the world will be on a planet like our own and may have advanced technology (or steampunk like you mentioned earlier which sounds interesting), and the technology can also be merged with whatever sort of magical elements or powers the fantasy races and creatures use. For example, regular machinery such as cars and lights being powered by electricity, but also some powered by the creature or race's own magic powering that machinery or technology around them.

Like I said not sure if this can be considered an environment but it's worth a shot putting it out there.

Looks like there are a couple people who want guilds (looking forward to some guild warfare or something xD ). Also magic will be interesting to explore.

Technology wise, I'm down with steam punk tech or similar levels. Is prefer not to go too modern, but if we do then implementing various fantasy races will spice things up. I do have a soft spot for classic high fantasy that can be designed in a unique way though.

Maybe we can have various tech levels around? Sort of a battle royal between the various types of fantasy (tech wise)?

I'm gonna throw out here again that I would prefer fantasy in a modern or futuristic setting, or at least not in a setting that rearranges the furniture in Tolkein's attic. Ones I'd really like to explore include:

• Post-WWII Japan (or in any nation that was devastated by war)
  • Mesopotamia
  • Early China
  • Far-future anywhere in the Middle East (I know we're not doing sci-fi, but... magitechnology, anyone?)
  • Given what I've been reading in the thread, it sounds like we're not going to have a setting on our Earth. And that's fine with me. I mean a setting based off of one of these would be interesting.
  • As for technology levels, that would probably correspond to whatever time period we're basing this off of. I don't really have a stake in that besides "medieval times are way overdone can we please not do that".

One thing I would like is multiple cultures, even if we do end up doing one of the suggestions @Mollisol posted. Just like with multiple races, having multiple cultures sets up a world better and allows for a more living world imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back