Story Mode Network

I might use that test thing White, for the Tabletop esque rp i had planned. have it be taken in Character to choose the characters class, cold be interesting.

EDIT: I have decided on my first rp here. It will be a variant of the Tavern of Legends i had talked about before, set in the world i made for the DnDesque fantasy rp i had talked about before.

Also opinions on this idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
i was thinking of making the Tavern rp, be a bit slice of lifey and casual, to an extent, but stil with a general plot.

i was thinking of making the Tavern rp, be a bit slice of lifey and casual, to an extent, but stil with a general plot.

It definitely sounds like an interesting idea. 

I've seen a few versions of the semi-out-of-character cafe go up in the last week or two, but this seems like it would be more intriguing. Though I fear a lot of the RPG tropes would go straight over my head!

This ^. This is exactly what I meant by having roleplay goals. That is the main thing that's going to trip you up before you even start. Ask yourself what you want to accomplish with the roleplay, Gideon. At least a vision for it. From what you said, I can already tell that RP is going to be disjointed =/

@Greenbriar

Hello. For you Green, I read you said you're going to hopefully make a roleplay in the future. How come not now? Is there something you're nervous about?

@White Masquerade

Very much so!

All the same, I was making plans to do it anyway and make sure I had the bandwidth to keep doing it after The Grand Launch (which was due on the 15th actually).

Unfortunately life happened, and my energy dropped to the floor with my spirits. Both are recovering (slowly) and I've already done all the prep, so I imagine I'll launch it at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
@White Masquerade

Very much so!

All the same, I was making plans to do it anyway and make sure I had the bandwidth to keep doing it after The Grand Launch (which was due on the 15th actually).

Unfortunately life happened, and my energy dropped to the floor with my spirits. Both are recovering (slowly) and I've already done all the prep, so I imagine I'll launch it at some point.

Understood. Good to see you haven't given up. If you have Grey vouching for you, then I look forward to seeing what you have. It's always a happy time when I come across RPs that keep their players engaged. I hope you can give a good and unique experience to those who join yours.

Thanks White,

I was and am really excited about this, just have to get my head on straight again. 

Grey is very kind, and I was running a number of my ideas past him (and Silvertongued) earlier before I settled on this one. He also has more faith in my GM abilities than I do, which is partly why I'm running this one first as it has a clearly defined in-game duration and I'm guessing I should be able to wrap up within a few months. Which means it's less devastating personally if I flub something out of inexperience and it dies than if I lose one of my longer story arcs to the same cause. It's all a learning experience!

Thanks White,

I was and am really excited about this, just have to get my head on straight again. 

Grey is very kind, and I was running a number of my ideas past him (and Silvertongued) earlier before I settled on this one. He also has more faith in my GM abilities than I do, which is partly why I'm running this one first as it has a clearly defined in-game duration and I'm guessing I should be able to wrap up within a few months. Which means it's less devastating personally if I flub something out of inexperience and it dies than if I lose one of my longer story arcs to the same cause. It's all a learning experience!

This is a good sign. I can definitely tell you are coming at this from the right place. Either you have very good vision or got really good advice. Maybe both  ^_^ . I wish you success. And you probably already have your own zone for info, but feel free to use any of the resources here in this group if you think it could help somewhere.

This ^. This is exactly what I meant by having roleplay goals. That is the main thing that's going to trip you up before you even start. Ask yourself what you want to accomplish with the roleplay, Gideon. At least a vision for it. From what you said, I can already tell that RP is going to be disjointed =/

@Greenbriar

Hello. For you Green, I read you said you're going to hopefully make a roleplay in the future. How come not now? Is there something you're nervous about?

How do you mean disjointed?

It will be set in a fantasy world, follow the days of the adventurers and the staff of the Tavern. At least the versio here

I think he's talking about the purpose of your roleplay - is there a core vision about what you want to do with the roleplay, or is it more a matter of what you want it to be; ie, be a location where things can happen.

I'd suggest making it a story about entirely one world or the other, if that makes sense?

1. The adventurers who operate out of The Important Tavern. There is an evil or a wild that infests the area around this tavern. Maybe there's not even a town in the area, just this tavern on a long and semi-important road. It has a few regular residents, among whom are the heroes but the story follows the heroes as they return again and again to their recurring location. It is a story with some recurring characters at the tavern, but the spotlight is firmly on the heroes as they have to stay around and deal with the fall out from their adventures. A story about "home" and what that means.
  2. The staff of The Important Tavern. They're used to being overlooking by regular travellers, merchantmen and nobles in their droves - and they've all seen band after band of colourful misfits on a desperate voyage to "save" whatever version of the world they feel is important. Sometimes they're little more than glorified grave robbers, and though you all look harmless enough (except the cook, who frankly terrifies even you) you managed to stand off the Felis raiders when they came vengefully after the group that had desecrated their holy site. Adventurers come and go. The real heroes are the ones who stick around day after day; these are their stories.

Or maybe I'm way off.  ^_^

I think he's talking about the purpose of your roleplay - is there a core vision about what you want to do with the roleplay, or is it more a matter of what you want it to be; ie, be a location where things can happen.

I'd suggest making it a story about entirely one world or the other, if that makes sense?

1. The adventurers who operate out of The Important Tavern. There is an evil or a wild that infests the area around this tavern. Maybe there's not even a town in the area, just this tavern on a long and semi-important road. It has a few regular residents, among whom are the heroes but the story follows the heroes as they return again and again to their recurring location. It is a story with some recurring characters at the tavern, but the spotlight is firmly on the heroes as they have to stay around and deal with the fall out from their adventures. A story about "home" and what that means.
  2. The staff of The Important Tavern. They're used to being overlooking by regular travellers, merchantmen and nobles in their droves - and they've all seen band after band of colourful misfits on a desperate voyage to "save" whatever version of the world they feel is important. Sometimes they're little more than glorified grave robbers, and though you all look harmless enough (except the cook, who frankly terrifies even you) you managed to stand off the Felis raiders when they came vengefully after the group that had desecrated their holy site. Adventurers come and go. The real heroes are the ones who stick around day after day; these are their stories.

It will be mainly about the adventurers the staff option was mostly for coOps/GMs and/or rpers who want to be involved but can only have a temporary or transient character.

I may not even use that here.

That's already sounding more focused to me, you know who you want (most) of the players to be. 

Do you want the story to follow the adventurers when they leave, or split to cover each group of characters where they are?

No, no, you are spot on. You have a theme/course of play.

@Mr. Gideon

I say disjointed because you have an idea and setting, but no direction. Let me translate what you told me into something you can understand better:

How do you mean disjointed?

It will be set in a fantasy world, follow the days of the adventurers and the staff of the Tavern. At least the versio here

Translated: White. I want to draw a picture. And it's going to be a city during the sunset.

It will be mainly about the adventurers the staff option was mostly for coOps/GMs and/or rpers who want to be involved but can only have a temporary or transient character.

I may not even use that here.

Translated: I am going to draw it in a way that people can get a good look at the city, but if they wanted to appreciate the sunset, that would be possible too.

All you've told me is, you want to do a fantasy roleplay about adventurers set in a tavern. What else? All you've told me is you wanted to draw a picture of a city during the sunset. What else? You see where I'm going?

Will you be using colored paper for the picture? Or will it be white? Will the colors be vivid in the picture, or will they be dark? How much of the picture will the city be taking up? 50, 60, 70%? How far up or down will the sun be? Early sunset? Or late sunset? Will you use colored pencils? Or paint? Will you be using any special techniques when drawing the picture (such as chiaroscuro)? What visual art style will the picture be (Cubism, Surrealism, Reductionism?)

Just like with the picture, your roleplay is one big general idea. You can't get very far with that. The problem is when you begin the roleplay, you're going to be jumping back and forth between how you want to see it play out. You're going to add things in the middle of it that weren't there, or weren't supposed to be there before. That is what's going to make it disjointed. <--- This is what causes a GM to not know what the heck they're doing, and scared of leading an RP. They have no direction. They don't know what's acceptable and what's not. They don't know the end game and the ways of getting there. They are thinking about how to set things up in the middle of an active role-play. Unless you are VERY good at thinking on the fly, that will murder you.

@MedievalMethods

Well. Better late than never, lol. Welcome to you! I am in the process of thinking a nickname for you, but have nothing yet. Be on the lookout for your custom title xD. There are a few proposals open already; go ahead and take a look at them! If you have any to suggest yourself, go for it my friend.

No, no, you are spot on. You have a theme/course of play.

@Mr. Gideon

I say disjointed because you have an idea and setting, but no direction. Let me translate what you told me into something you can understand better:

Translated: White. I want to draw a picture. And it's going to be a city during the sunset.

Translated: I am going to draw it in a way that people can get a good look at the city, but if they wanted to appreciate the sunset, that would be possible too.

All you've told me is, you want to do a fantasy roleplay about adventurers set in a tavern. What else? All you've told me is you wanted to draw a picture of a city during the sunset. What else? You see where I'm going?

Will you be using colored paper for the picture? Or will it be white? Will the colors be vivid in the picture, or will they be dark? How much of the picture will the city be taking up? 50, 60, 70%? How far up or down will the sun be? Early sunset? Or late sunset? Will you use colored pencils? Or paint? Will you be using any special techniques when drawing the picture (such as chiaroscuro)? What visual art style will the picture be (Cubism, Surrealism, Reductionism?)

Just like with the picture, your roleplay is one big general idea. You can't get very far with that. The problem is when you begin the roleplay, you're going to be jumping back and forth between how you want to see it play out. You're going to add things in the middle of it that weren't there, or weren't supposed to be there before. That is what's going to make it disjointed. <--- This is what causes a GM to not know what the heck they're doing, and scared of leading an RP. They have no direction. They don't know what's acceptable and what's not. They don't know the end game and the ways of getting there. They are thinking about how to set things up in the middle of an active role-play. Unless you are VERY good at thinking on the fly, that will murder you.

so you want me to be more specific, essentially? I have a series of adventures planned out, that will lead upto plot points, though decidions in the rp may affect the word of the rp and thus the plot, though only slightly.

@Greenbriar I was planning to have it follow the groups of adventurers, wherever they may be, whether on an adventure or at/around the tavern, itself.

I was planning to have it follow the groups of adventurers, wherever they may be, whether on an adventure or at/around the tavern, itself.

Then it is no longer a tavern RP. If that is what you plan to do, then it would be better to transform it into a fantasy-adventure RP. 

Focusing on the adventurers removes the essence of the tavern. It makes it just some meeting point of the protagonists.

Tavern RPs have the tavern as the focus, it is the main, and in some cases, the only location where events occur. It does not give emphasis on the character's adventures, rather it focuses on character development through interaction. It's like an OOC for the characters.

Having the story follow the adventurers wherever they go and having the story follow the adventurers' time in the tavern are two different things.

Like White said, your concept, so far, contradicts itself.

@Reinhardt

Yes! You got it!

@Mr. Gideon

Not exactly more specific. Focused, would be a better word. Going off what Reindo said, know what direction you want to go in so your story doesn't trip over itself. Adventurer's journey? Or Tavern RP?

I was planning to have it follow the groups of adventurers, wherever they may be, whether on an adventure or at/around the tavern, itself.

Here, you are waiting for the RP to give YOU direction. Reverse that. YOU need to give the RP, direction. Set what you want to do in the RP and go for it. If players want to do something different, trust me, they will let you know xD .

I don't know, I think there's still room to make the story Tavern-centric. Call it my inexperience if you like, but the tavern is the heart of a broader location (or it can be - bear with me here). If it's the sole base and anchor of the characters at the beginning and end of each adventure I'd say there's room to tell a different class of story than if it was just a place where we first encounter the characters.

For me, it all comes down to how much the characters retread the same ground and how much their actions change the region, whether "for better" or "for worse". If they live the impacts, I wouldn't call it a standard fantasy adventure.

THat is what i was trying to go for Green.

Also guys(or whatever gender/sex you may be)bear in mind that this was.originally intended for my other site, i know the rpers there, here i dont so besides what White has said that will be a semi major hurdle at least.

I don't know, I think there's still room to make the story Tavern-centric. Call it my inexperience if you like, but the tavern is the heart of a broader location (or it can be - bear with me here). If it's the sole base and anchor of the characters at the beginning and end of each adventure I'd say there's room to tell a different class of story than if it was just a place where we first encounter the characters.

For me, it all comes down to how much the characters retread the same ground and how much their actions change the region, whether "for better" or "for worse". If they live the impacts, I wouldn't call it a standard fantasy adventure.

Yes. It's not so much as whether it's a Tavern RP, Fantasy Adventure, or mix. More so that Gideon knows what they're doing; whatever it may focus on.

THat is what i was trying to go for Green.

Also guys(or whatever gender/sex you may be)bear in mind that this was.originally intended for my other site, i know the rpers there, here i dont so besides what White has said that will be a semi major hurdle at least.

That's why discussion is good! Refine and keep a good atmosphere of what you want to go for.

*Walks close to you with a raised eyebrow and smile*

"So you like Dragons?"

I've discovered the perfect pick-up line to win your heart Headless. Lemme read your results. The lust is not as devastating as Brook's, but it's up there. You don't seem that evil so I will vouch for you. You're O.K. in my book. As for your powers, I can't tell yet if they match. I haven't seen you unleash a dragon still, even after all this time. I have to see you at your best in a natural habitat, head. For now I'd say it'd match, tentatively. If this class comes off as one that likes to conceal themselves and is secretive about their methods, I can say yeah, you are!

*Walks close to you with a raised eyebrow and smile*

"So you like Dragons?"

I've discovered the perfect pick-up line to win your heart Headless. Lemme read your results. The lust is not as devastating as Brook's, but it's up there. You don't seem that evil so I will vouch for you. You're O.K. in my book. As for your powers, I can't tell yet if they match. I haven't seen you unleash a dragon still, even after all this time. I have to see you at your best in a natural habitat, head. For now I'd say it'd match, tentatively. If this class comes off as one that likes to conceal themselves and is secretive about their methods, I can say yeah, you are!

Dragons are cool, I guess. As for summoning them, that'd be pretty useful. That way I don't have to do much and the damage done on me would be minimized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back