Story Mode Network

Yeah! You hit my favorite sci-fi passion right on the head. Apfel is right, there are already bio-mechanical things going on in the medical sector of life. Nothing extreme because the area is really, really, young (even prosthetics linked to the nerves are slow and clunky right now), but with some time, there will be some great things out there. If you check out the DARPA (Advanced Research) site and information on it, they have created bugs that can be controlled by a remote. Basically they inserted and control device into the bug's brain =(.

So if they are doing things like this with animals, it is not extremely far off from being implemented in humans. There are Olympic runners who can run faster than normal humans because they have spring-legs. Bionic powers would absolutely work for a semi-futuristic roleplay.

Does anyone understand how a bionic chip would work? Like it would be 'installed' into the user.

Does anyone understand how a bionic chip would work? Like it would be 'installed' into the user.

*slips in*

From my (limited) understanding, the brain functions with an electro-chemical process that involves sending charged signals along a neuron which fires across a gap to the next neuron in a process involving the transfer of sodium and potassium (or something like that). I believe that implants, such as the bionic chip you're suggesting, are usually placed on the surface of the brain. The implants that are being used in humans are generally used to repair connections in damaged areas in the brain, and they do this by allowing a signal to traverse over the interface in the same way that the neuron would fire the signal if it was still functioning. It creates a sort of "bridge", in a way. I don't really think that the signal could be enhanced very well, given that neurons have a set threshold that they fire/don't fire at, but I suppose it could be argued that a chip is more durable and reliable than a neuron, so perhaps if enough chips were placed in key portions of the brain (or even in a particular place, if you wanted to give them super hearing specifically, or super vision, or something like that), then a person might be able to process information quicker or more reliably. The technicalities of how it would "enhance" aren't really worked out, since mainly what they do is repair what is broken, but you could use what exists as a springboard for imagining how such a chip could enhance a person's cognitive abilities.

Woow. Apfel went in deep and gave you the real scientific side lol. When you say bionic chip, what exactly does that mean? What are you trying to do?

Woow. Apfel went in deep and gave you the real scientific side lol. When you say bionic chip, what exactly does that mean? What are you trying to do?

Was going to start it off with the players being stuck in a lab with scientists that are trying to enhance the abilities of a bionic chip. I was walking in the living room like two weeks ago and my little brother was watching some Disney show and they were using bionics on kids. They had no mechanical parts but the bionics gave them 'abilities.' Like I think one kid had super intelligence and super strength. I was already set on bionic prosthetics but if I could find a way to implant the chip IN their body. What Apfel said is only a small portion of what I want. All this bionic stuff is new to me so it's hard to explain. 

Was going to start it off with the players being stuck in a lab with scientists that are trying to enhance the abilities of a bionic chip. I was walking in the living room like two weeks ago and my little brother was watching some Disney show and they were using bionics on kids. They had no mechanical parts but the bionics gave them 'abilities.' Like I think one kid had super intelligence and super strength. I was already set on bionic prosthetics but if I could find a way to implant the chip IN their body. What Apfel said is only a small portion of what I want. All this bionic stuff is new to me so it's hard to explain. 

Gotcha. Then the only possible way I know of that some way working, is if this chip did an override of the brain's functions. Naturally, the brain limits the body FROM doing extraordinary things unless we force it to, or really need something in a life/death emergency.

The problem is if this Bionic chip put the brain on overdrive, like ALL the time, the person would die very, very quickly because they're body is freaking out or doesn't have the endurance to handle all of it.

BUT, this is fiction sooooo, you can make it work however you want =P

Gotcha. Then the only possible way I know of that some way working, is if this chip did an override of the brain's functions. Naturally, the brain limits the body FROM doing extraordinary things unless we force it to, or really need something in a life/death emergency.

The problem is if this Bionic chip put the brain on overdrive, like ALL the time, the person would die very, very quickly because they're body is freaking out or doesn't have the endurance to handle all of it.

BUT, this is fiction sooooo, you can make it work however you want =P

Couldn't there be a way to make the body handle it?

It would also depend whether their are prosthetic nerves, muscles, or the like, thus making one capable of atleast temporarily withstanding the burning out of your muscles and stuff due to overclockin it.

Since I won't have the necessary details for the roleplay, I'll just work on basic plots and characters.

This kind of subject is my jam.  Give me twenty-four hours to recover from the convention and I can talk you through some useful stuff.

*sits back in chair*

*places hands behind head*

*looks up to ceiling*

*purses lips*

*grunts*

*exhales*

*shakes head*

*nods yes*

*leans forward over table*

*clasps hands*

*places clasped hands to lips*

*taps index finger 5 times on table*

*slams desk with one hand*

Alright.

You have twelve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel obliged to say that I know the name of this disney show, slightly embarassed, however. @Brook

And, in my opinion, prosthetics are a million times cooler than chips.

EDIT: @White Masquerade What is up with this custom title. I'm trying to figure out what It means, but I can't.

I feel obliged to say that I know the name of this disney show, slightly embarassed, however. @Brook

And, in my opinion, prosthetics are a million times cooler than chips.

EDIT: @White Masquerade What is up with this custom title. I'm trying to figure out what It means, but I can't.

Prosthetics can't give you what chips can. Am I wrong? Plus chips seem more 'neat' to me.

And I found the name of the show just in case I can get any ideas from it.

*sits back in chair*

*places hands behind head*

*looks up to ceiling*

*purses lips*

*grunts*

*exhales*

*shakes head*

*nods yes*

*leans forward over table*

*clasps hands*

*places clasped hands to lips*

*taps index finger 5 times on table*

*slams desk with one hand*

Alright.

You have twelve.

NElW3Ex3w06Fon_2_b.jpg

179794-4104-spider-man.jpg

spider_man_homecoming_poster_by_goxiii-da06flq.jpg

@Mr. Gideon

You are on fire today. Yes there would have to be (hopefully) some conditioning before the chip's installation. From the inside-out, a person would definitely need prosthetic copies to swap in so they can withstand the changes. And finally, yes, Head's title is "head" because Dullahans are headless  :)

@Dullahan Shinigami

Gideon is correct on everything. Now if we're talking chips, prosthetics and a little sci-fi, I'll say my favorite kind of human-machine connection would be exo-suits. The kinds that have an array of sensors feeding data direct to your brain and functions as a personal assistant. The Iron Man Suit or a human sized Gundam suit is the idea. I don't know why but it's just so fascinating. I like the concept of a human still keeping their humanity while being greatly aided by sophisticated machines. I really dislike the idea of a human and machine in some way fusing together.

@Brook

The simplest answer to your question would be what Gideon said, replace a person's normal innards with materials that can withstand the pressure and strain. Remember that the brain's attention is only 100%. If 90% of that is going towards giving a person super-strength, other functions of their body are going to turn off. You need to find some way to keep those active.

@Mr. Gideon

You are on fire today. Yes there would have to be (hopefully) some conditioning before the chip's installation. From the inside-out, a person would definitely need prosthetic copies to swap in so they can withstand the changes. And finally, yes, Head's title is "head" because Dullahans are headless  :)

@Dullahan Shinigami

Gideon is correct on everything. Now if we're talking chips, prosthetics and a little sci-fi, I'll say my favorite kind of human-machine connection would be exo-suits. The kinds that have an array of sensors feeding data direct to your brain and functions as a personal assistant. The Iron Man Suit or a human sized Gundam suit is the idea. I don't know why but it's just so fascinating. I like the concept of a human still keeping their humanity while being greatly aided by sophisticated machines. I really dislike the idea of a human and machine in some way fusing together.

@Brook

The simplest answer to your question would be what Gideon said, replace a person's normal innards with materials that can withstand the pressure and strain. Remember that the brain's attention is only 100%. If 90% of that is going towards giving a person super-strength, other functions of their body are going to turn off. You need to find some way to keep those active.

I was saying as human have rarely shown to use a 100% of their body, but the nerves and stuff can burn out and render one a near vegetable in various ways. It also depends abput whether we are going the nanite route or not as well as they could repair damage and funcion as a rosthetic at times.

@Mr. Gideon

@Dullahan Shinigami

@Brook

So they would be a cyborg?! I might have to use that but I'm trying as hard as I can to use as little tech (other than the chip) in the body. Let's say I do have to replace some innards. What would they be?

So they would be a cyborg?! I might have to use that but I'm trying as hard as I can to use as little tech (other than the chip) in the body. Let's say I do have to replace some innards. What would they be?

If you replace the insides with machines then yes they would be cyborgs. If not  machines but just artificial materials, then they could still be considered human.

Gideon brought up Nanites. That could help your story as well. That might be the easiest route to go as they could potentially keep repairing the body and running some of its functions.

It will all depend upon the lore and whatnot, as we could go with the route that the chip or whatever is widely avalable, but over use is cautioned, but the more privileged or soldiers or whatnot could have the Nanites and the Chip, thus repairing any of the burnout whilst still remaining mostly human, though again depending you could have those taht take cybernetic type enhancements for the story if you wish, it really all depends.

It will all depend upon the lore and whatnot, as we could go with the route that the chip or whatever is widely avalable, but over use is cautioned, but the more privileged or soldiers or whatnot could have the Nanites and the Chip, thus repairing any of the burnout whilst still remaining mostly human, though again depending you could have those taht take cybernetic type enhancements for the story if you wish, it really all depends.

I was going to have the roleplayers have the enhancements themselves. Nanites seem cool but i'll wait until I hear from Grey to make my final decision.

Alright, so, the human body has a number of hard limits like any biological machine, and expanding those horizons or adding new features is more difficult as an after-market mod.  You're better off commissioning a better human being in utero if you have the resources. 

Neurological enhancements using implanted chips are not an impossible concept - the trick is in ensuring the components aren't rejected by the immune system and can achieve a direct link to the hardware and software.  We are getting better at translating electrical signals in the brain to cogent digital expressions, so if you set it far enough into the future that shouldn't be a huge problem for the chips to interpret synaptic activity and likewise for the host brain to interpret incoming data from the implants - although that half the equation would probably require extended conditioning and training, because it'd be like having a new sense.

Here's a fun fact, see - your ear hears selectively because your brain teaches it what to hear as you grow up.  You can parse phonemes from your native language and dialect as sounds with meaning and distinct structures because your brain has learned to recognize them.  Qualitatively, if we both speak different languages and hear a third which neither of us speaks, we'll both hear the words spoken differently and yet still incomprehensibly.  Any chip would be a bit like that, your brain learning to process the data from the chip.

The thing is, such a chip has limited utility.  It could enhance memory, pattern recognition, and various perceptual functions by giving the brain an additional processing power (because even the most advanced binoculars, for example, are limited by how much visual information the human brain can actually process).  Essentially, they're cognitive enhancement tools which may require a regimen of antirejection meds and possibly heightened nutritional requirements for various neurotransmitters and hormones.

If you want them to affect the rest of the body, it would probably come down to a chip that allows for conscious control of some autonomic processes - choosing to control your adrenaline production and release, for example.  Deciding you need to bulk up and increasing testosterone production for a while.  Stuff like that.

That's about the size of it, though.  If you need more powers and for those powers to be within the realms of hard sci-fi rather than soft, it'd have to come down either cybernetic augmentation or biological engineering.  You could conceivably engineer for additional organs for more complex chemical synthesis so the subjects can consciously flood their bodies with various stimulants or increase the efficiency of existing biological systems, and perhaps managing these features is easier with an intermediary chip to which some of the processing can be offloaded. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back