Story Mode Network

Alright, so, the human body has a number of hard limits like any biological machine, and expanding those horizons or adding new features is more difficult as an after-market mod.  You're better off commissioning a better human being in utero if you have the resources. 

Neurological enhancements using implanted chips are not an impossible concept - the trick is in ensuring the components aren't rejected by the immune system and can achieve a direct link to the hardware and software.  We are getting better at translating electrical signals in the brain to cogent digital expressions, so if you set it far enough into the future that shouldn't be a huge problem for the chips to interpret synaptic activity and likewise for the host brain to interpret incoming data from the implants - although that half the equation would probably require extended conditioning and training, because it'd be like having a new sense.

Here's a fun fact, see - your ear hears selectively because your brain teaches it what to hear as you grow up.  You can parse phonemes from your native language and dialect as sounds with meaning and distinct structures because your brain has learned to recognize them.  Qualitatively, if we both speak different languages and hear a third which neither of us speaks, we'll both hear the words spoken differently and yet still incomprehensibly.  Any chip would be a bit like that, your brain learning to process the data from the chip.

The thing is, such a chip has limited utility.  It could enhance memory, pattern recognition, and various perceptual functions by giving the brain an additional processing power (because even the most advanced binoculars, for example, are limited by how much visual information the human brain can actually process).  Essentially, they're cognitive enhancement tools which may require a regimen of antirejection meds and possibly heightened nutritional requirements for various neurotransmitters and hormones.

If you want them to affect the rest of the body, it would probably come down to a chip that allows for conscious control of some autonomic processes - choosing to control your adrenaline production and release, for example.  Deciding you need to bulk up and increasing testosterone production for a while.  Stuff like that.

That's about the size of it, though.  If you need more powers and for those powers to be within the realms of hard sci-fi rather than soft, it'd have to come down either cybernetic augmentation or biological engineering.  You could conceivably engineer for additional organs for more complex chemical synthesis so the subjects can consciously flood their bodies with various stimulants or increase the efficiency of existing biological systems, and perhaps managing these features is easier with an intermediary chip to which some of the processing can be offloaded. 

Probably going to have to read that over again, but thank you.

@White Masquerade I don't get a custom title?  :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably going to have to read that over again, but thank you.

@White Masquerade I don't get a custom title?  :(

What you could do is have different types and grades of chips, some control and amplify certain actions and what not while others could be more generalised. I could say more, but I dont really know how the world this tech will be in si like, so I dont want to flood you with so many possibly good ideas. 

What you could do is have different types and grades of chips, some control and amplify certain actions and what not while others could be more generalised. I could say more, but I dont really know how the world this tech will be in si like, so I dont want to flood you with so many possibly good ideas. 

Do it!

well as i said dpeneding you could have lower grades open to the public, while as the amplifications they can provide would be almost negligible they would have the lowest side effects out of the grades. Higher quality chips would only be open to the elite, unless bought on the black market, though much of the chips there would be defective, rarely good quality operational chips will appear and there will be a scramble for them. The military could have specific applications for them or something, much of the chips function will deped upon how fictional you want his to be,

Depending upon the Genre where this takes place you could have companies control and monopolize the chip supply. Also you could have better chips have higher rejection chances, bit that can be offset by extremely exensive conditioning treatments.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Brook

It's not too difficult if you break it up piece by piece. Basically you want to re-train your brain to do other things/give it assistance in doing other things.

Also, you just started talking here 2-3 days ago >_>. Of course there's no title yet Lupin.

• Mama Mia! Now that's a spicy Gabriel!

latest

@The One Eyed Bandit

Okay. Hello to you and welcome. I read your introduction and enjoyed it. I found out a few things about you. Nice to have you here. You may have already, but check out the Proposals we have, and if you feel you have a good idea for what the group could do, please suggest one of your own. Any questions, just ask one of us here. If you have trouble GMing just ask some things and I'm sure others can give you good insight/advice. I hope this group will help you out in some way or another.

@Captain Gensokyo

Hey Captain. You will be accepted in about 30 minutes. Do you have any questions for any of us beforehand?

If i change my pic will the title change or will it stay mistah bear?

I also added more to my response and ideas about the chips Brook if you didnt see.

If i change my pic will the title change or will it stay mistah bear?

I also added more to my response and ideas about the chips Brook if you didnt see.

=P It probably would if you did. Don't let the titles throw you off, haha. They are just a fun thing I like to do for unique flair, nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back