Story Mode Network

@Grey

The length put me off too before I started. You're right, a lot of anime don't have that many episodes. The ones that do, as you say, suffer from dwindling quality. Hunter x Hunter however, I speak very highly of because it was an unexpected gem, from start to finish. It was what got me into RPing. No Hunter x Hunter, I wouldn't be here. The beginning is very slow as it builds the characters, but once things get rolling, it is gripping all the way down to the end. It's my standard for anime and everything else I've seen pales in comparison.

What long-running shows have you seen?

I have completely forgotten.  Only The Simpsons and Dragonball Z spring to mind - the former just became uninteresting, the latter was bafflingly awful.  And Friends, I suppose. That went on far too long. 

@White Masquerade I may check it out - my standard was set by stuff like Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Elfen Lied, and most recently Psycho-Pass was up to muster. Kino's Journey was enjoyable in a different way.  Gainax usually get me to watch, as well; Kill La Kill and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt were guilty pleasures while they lasted. 

I have completely forgotten.  Only The Simpsons and Dragonball Z spring to mind - the former just became uninteresting, the latter was bafflingly awful.  And Friends, I suppose. That went on far too long. 

@White Masquerade I may check it out - my standard was set by stuff like Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, Elfen Lied, and most recently Psycho-Pass was up to muster. Kino's Journey was enjoyable in a different way.  Gainax usually get me to watch, as well; Kill La Kill and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt were guilty pleasures while they lasted. 

Gotcha. It won't quite be in the same vein as those (possibly Elfen Lied), but it does occasionally explore the not so nice parts of the human psyche. It's more a "coming of age" anime and the struggles that come with that.

It definitely won't be like Kill La Kill and Panty, Stocking, and Garterbelt. Though if you enjoyed those, it's a good sign you may enjoy this one.

Panty, Stocking, and Garterbelt was so good ^_^ Though definitely something I enjoyed much more when I got older lol. It made me a bit squeamish as an innocent middle schooler(? I might have gotten the timeline wrong lol). I still need to watch Kill La Kill. My friend had the anime club watch the first episode, but I was too paranoid as the club's semi-official president that a teacher would walk in to really appreciate it I think :P  

You could watch the rest on crunchyroll

@Riuma

I can't think of any streaming site at the moment that will have Hunter x Hunter.

@MedievalMethods

Hey there. I see you joined. GO ahead and post an introduction. You won't get away with that  :$

Also to all, my activity here will spike on weekends. If you ask me a question or are waiting for something, it will probably be on the weekend!

@Riuma

KissAnime is where I've taken to watching all my anime now, when I get around to watching. No ads and I'm pretty sure it has Hunter x Hunter.

Fullmetal Alchemist is probably my favorite out of all the animes I've watched. Though I think Inuyasha was my first introduction to anime (193 episodes). Long running historical fantasy adventure with romance, action, and also tells a coming of age story of sorts, it had a bit of everything if you don't mind the older animes. I also enjoyed D-grayman and didn't regret watching it...though the end will leave you craving for more that'll never come. 

I was, and still am, thinking off starting an RE-themed RP that is semi-freeform. So, I tried to make a system despite my lack of experience. Just need a review and some suggestions on this. 

For combat with guns and other ammo-based equipment, we roll a d4 for every bullet used. 1 is a hit and 2-3 is a miss. 4 is a headshot, which instantly kills regular enemies.

For close-combat quarters (knife fights, hand-to-hand, etc.), we roll a d6. The result of the roll is the number of the attacks that connected. To dodge/parry incoming attacks, we roll a d2. 1 is success, 2 is a fail.

Enemies will use the same attack rolls, but they have no dodge/parry rolls.

Our characters have 10 Health. Being hit by a regular enemy's attack will reduce it by 1. If a character's health goes down to 1, they will be incapacitated (like in left 4 dead) and will require an ally's help to get back up. If a character's health goes down to 0, they die obviously.

When you have 3 or less Health left, you will recover 1 Health once you are out of combat. Healing packs and first aid kits will help recover a character's Health by 2 and 4 respectively. 

Now, our characters are not immune to the virus strain that has created the bio-organic weapons, they can be infected. If you are attacked by an enemy when you are below 5 Health, you will have an infection.

Infection goes up to 100, and starts at 1. For every two posts we make, the infection increases by 1. To cure an infection, we must use an SS stimpack. It is a one-time consumable which immediately cures a character's infection. A character can only carry 1 SS stimpack at a time.

Our enemies will drop loot. Once we defeat them, we will roll a d6. If we get a 5 or a 6, we get to do another d6 roll, which will dictate what loot they have dropped. Below is a reference.

1 - Ammo (5 bullets)    4 - Ammo (Consumables E.g. Grenades)

2 - Ammo (10 bullets)  5 - 1 Healing Pack (Heals 2 Health) 

3 - Ammo (15 bullets)  6 - 1 First Aid Kit (Heals 4 Health)

There are also objects which can be destroyed. For every scenario we are in, we will roll a d12. The result will be the number of these destroy-able objects, which drop loot, using another d6 with a different reference located below.

1 - Ammo (10 bullets)         4 - 1 Healing Pack

2 - Ammo (15 bullets)       5 - 1 First Aid Kit 

3 - Ammo (Consumables)  6 - 1 SS Stimpack 

Also, for every scenario, we will roll a d4, which will determine how many times we will roll a d10 to determine the amount of regular enemies to be encountered. The number of special enemies will be done in a secret roll for a surprise.

I'm trying to make it as simple as possible, but not so simple that it's super dull. 

First off; single die models are too random. You might as well flip a coin, especially for a 1d2 which is literally a coinflip simulation.

Which can be fine, as long as you remember it is both unfair and unpredictable in a way which is not realistic.  You get a much better probability curve out of two or three dice.  

Although Chronicles of Darkness' combat engine would be perfect for your close quarters combat I know you've taken a look and, presumably, found you didn't want to use it.  I'd basically be inclined to say you are guaranteed to take damage from CQC and the roll merely dictates how bad it is (unless teamwork saves you), since the regen and recovery mechanics seem like they'll render it tense without being too punishing.  Might verge on trivial with that kind of recovery, but that's situational. 

The loot/infection delay mechanics are really gamist, which I'm not sure is what you'd want, but Resi was full of arbitrary nonsense like that so I imagine it to be an intentional callback. 

Honestly I feel like some variation on Apocalypse World would work fantastically for a Resi-style scenario. Hrm. *adds project to the list*

Anyway- I'd say consider just standardizing rolls to 2d6, which gives you an average of 7.  7+ is good! Maybe even every increment from 7 up is damage. 6- is bad. 

Just make a simple chart of bonuses and penalties and that'll be fine - like, broken arm? -1 from the result of your roll.  Hopped up on combat drugs? +1!

3d6 gives you an average of between 9-12 which is handy for weighting in players' favour but does require you to prepare for a higher ceiling. 

Did you look at Unhallowed Metropolis in the end?  That also is good for Resi and has a deceptively simple system, easy to boil down for something like this. 

I Had an idea about a fantasy tavern based rp, but i havent been able to post here. Good job to those here who made the gm guide.

Here, is the hook/flavortext, i made for it:

“Hello, Traveller and welcome to the Dragon’s Head Tavern. This place has been here a long, long time, and I have seen many people like you pass through here, You are different however. You have a spark others lack, I can see it in your eyes. This tavern is known by another name, The Tavern of Legends. Many others have passed through here, some for trade, others for adventure. Of the adventurers few have made it back to here, but those that have, are now legends, perhaps, traveller, it is time for yours.”

You would play as a new adventurer using the Tavern as your Base of Operations or a member of the Staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Had an idea about a fantasy tavern based rp, but i havent been able to post here. Good job to those here who made the gm guide.

Here, is the hook/flavortext, i made for it:

“Hello, Traveller and welcome to the Dragon’s Head Tavern. This place has been here a long, long time, and I have seen many people like you pass through here, You are different however. You have a spark others lack, I can see it in your eyes. This tavern is known by another name, The Tavern of Legends. Many others have passed through here, some for trade, others for adventure. Of the adventurers few have made it back to here, but those that have, are now legends, perhaps, traveller, it is time for yours.”

You would play as a new adventurer using the Tavern as your Base of Operations or a member of the Staff.

Good! Now what else. What's the adventure about?

Good! Now what else. What's the adventure about?

Well, i still am not quite sure, but i was thinking that i would have a mission system type thing with requests sent and put up at the tavern, and have the IC divided into more than one thread, possibly per adventurer group. It will be mostly freeform, but will have an ultimate ending.

Well, i still am not quite sure, but i was thinking that i would have a mission system type thing with requests sent and put up at the tavern, and have the IC divided into more than one thread, possibly per adventurer group. It will be mostly freeform, but will have an ultimate ending.

Good Lord Gideon. Do you have the energy for all that?

Will this have more of a fantastical setting rather that realistic with people who can manipulate energy, perhaps have anthro individuals, and allow the typical fantasy creatures? 

@Mr. Gideon 

What reason would this selected tavern be used as the base for the roleplay? 

Will this have more of a fantastical setting rather that realistic with people who can manipulate energy, perhaps have anthro individuals, and allow the typical fantasy creatures? 

@Mr. Gideon 

What reason would this selected tavern be used as the base for the roleplay? 

I was thinking more fantastical setting, will have swords, magic and the like.

I am still typing out the history, but the term adventurer had changed over the years in the world of the rp, and it was people who frequented the tavern originally, that caused the term adventurer to be what it is now. Adding onto the fact it is a popular location for adventurers due to the lore and ambiance it has. The tavern itself is in a prime location it is near several dungeons and is along a trade route through the three countries that intersect near it.

Mmm I see, I see. Good, good. I've always been interested in that kind of idea. 

Sorry for the late reply, my PC broke down and using my phone was not an option.

First off; single die models are too random. You might as well flip a coin, especially for a 1d2 which is literally a coinflip simulation.

Which can be fine, as long as you remember it is both unfair and unpredictable in a way which is not realistic.  You get a much better probability curve out of two or three dice.

I'd basically be inclined to say you are guaranteed to take damage from CQC and the roll merely dictates how bad it is (unless teamwork saves you), since the regen and recovery mechanics seem like they'll render it tense without being too punishing.  Might verge on trivial with that kind of recovery, but that's situational.

That is actually a better idea. The regen is not really that bad, but I wanted to give a dodge/parry mechanic at least, for fighting against heavy-hitters or bosses and whatnot. 

The loot/infection delay mechanics are really gamist, which I'm not sure is what you'd want, but Resi was full of arbitrary nonsense like that so I imagine it to be an intentional callback. 

I understand, but I made the loot to make sure that the characters don't run out of ammo permanently. It'd be horrible if that would occur, and would make missing a shot extremely punishing. The infection was to remove the "immune protagonist" stereotype, but give the players enough room/time to react before they lose their character.

Anyway- I'd say consider just standardizing rolls to 2d6, which gives you an average of 7.  7+ is good! Maybe even every increment from 7 up is damage. 6- is bad. 

Just make a simple chart of bonuses and penalties and that'll be fine - like, broken arm? -1 from the result of your roll.  Hopped up on combat drugs? +1!

3d6 gives you an average of between 9-12 which is handy for weighting in players' favour but does require you to prepare for a higher ceiling. 

I haven't thought of that. Having buffs and debuffs sounds good, I'll get more info on creating and managing them, then try my best to make a pretty decent list.

Did you look at Unhallowed Metropolis in the end?  That also is good for Resi and has a deceptively simple system, easy to boil down for something like this.

No, not yet. I'll take a look into it.

Glad to have helped.  I understand your rationale for the loot, and I thought anything I might suggest would over-complicate matters.

I am absolutely onboard with characters getting infected, it's just that the mechanism seemed arbitrary. 

Do people pick up any cool mutations when they slide into the last twenty points or so?

All this talk of taverns reminds me of an RP I've been meaning to run for years - a fantasy kingdom tavern where the players are the family who own it, dealing with all the cliche fantasy nonsense that comes through their doors. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back