• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Sea of Spells OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
I’ve updated it to more clearly outline the limitations as I realise they got a little lost in the description of her magic.
Seems fine seems fine. A picture for your character should be all I need then. I will ask, are you doing things like growing Vines to attack enemies, or is it all potions and charms?

Seems acceptable. If Sebastian can cast holy magic in general, is it safe to assume warding, exorcism, and spells which harm evil spirits/demons in general are within the repertoire?

Regardless, he seems perfectly acceptable to me.
Warding, spells against evil spirits, yes. or at least rituals, to protect him and his crew. it isn't the violent and blatant magic of the Inquisition, no brimstone, it is a magic of protection, strength, and wisdom, rather than things that are more on the offensive. He's not very magic reliant, think a paladin in dnd. sometimes he'll use Lay On Hands or Devine Smite, but he's not a primary caster.

Warding, spells against evil spirits, yes. or at least rituals, to protect him and his crew. it isn't the violent and blatant magic of the Inquisition, no brimstone, it is a magic of protection, strength, and wisdom, rather than things that are more on the offensive. He's not very magic reliant, think a paladin in dnd. sometimes he'll use Lay On Hands or Devine Smite, but he's not a primary caster.
Ahhh dex faith caster. A Paige if you will?

Ahhh dex faith caster. A Paige if you will?
What system are we talking? im sorry, im really just a dnd guy. oh, also, I should mention in terms of his powers, it isn't physically draining to use them, but they take effort, preparation, and concentration, with more time necessary for the more powerful and complex spells.

What system are we talking? im sorry, im really just a dnd guy. oh, also, I should mention in terms of his powers, it isn't physically draining to use them, but they take effort, preparation, and concentration, with more time necessary for the more powerful and complex spells.
Lol I was just throwing together terms from multiple things. Ignore me

Trying to catch up to my players, but I should be able to finish my sheet by tonight after work and we can start by tomorrow!

cinnarinn cinnarinn EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1 okay, I am ready with my sheet now all. I know how Ayama will enter the roleplay, and I'll be playing Helena's crew rejecting him.

For you other two, how would you be spending your time in port royal to start? Just so I know how to lead you to Abel.

Abel himself will be actively recruiting his crew on the beach. The only qualification: you must be able to incapacitate Abel either by magical or physical means. Three on one battles allowed. Eventually all of you will walk past, and by chance join up as a group of three to have a scrap with Abel. Don't worry! Any wounds will be healed by a nearby Voodoo Priest after the fight! And obviously, the three of you will prevail in the end, so don't get worried if abel starts beating you up at first!

So what I'm more looking for is exactly what the demon is capable of. How much damage it can take before it is returned to hell, how much it can lift, how fast it can run. If it can throw fireballs. That way I know if I need to kill it with a cannonball, or dropping a house on it. After that description for the main fiend and the imp, I'll accept raf as well!
I would say it can lift 2-3 people on average, but if Raf gives it his life energy it could go up to 7 or 8 (of course in that case Raf would come close to death or just outright kick the bucket). Usual top speed would probably be close to 90mph, though it would get tired quickly. With the Raf life energy boost, maybe up to 150mph, but burnout very fast. Fireballs would be cool/fun, but feels OP in a naval battle, so Imma say it's just strong enough to fell a mainmast with a strong enough weapon/hit (if it can get up close), but no fireballs. It would be able to take a few hits from cannonballs, but after 3 of them it would weaken very quickly (can take more hits in berserk mode but, again, Raf would probably die). So yeah, 3 cannonballs or, like, 20ish sword-fully-through-the-body type stabs, and it would have to dematerialize and return to limbo. Need a full day before it could be summoned again, and would still be weakened.

The imp is insignificant- kick it hard enough and it goes poof xD

(Oh I forgot to mention top speeds are for the demon alone- slows down considerably if it's carrying anything/anyone. Also not that this is relevant to stats, but I'll be writing out inner telepathic dialogue between Raf and the demon as well, Venom-style >] )

I would say it can lift 2-3 people on average, but if Raf gives it his life energy it could go up to 7 or 8 (of course in that case Raf would come close to death or just outright kick the bucket). Usual top speed would probably be close to 90mph, though it would get tired quickly. With the Raf life energy boost, maybe up to 150mph, but burnout very fast. Fireballs would be cool/fun, but feels OP in a naval battle, so Imma say it's just strong enough to fell a mainmast with a strong enough weapon/hit (if it can get up close), but no fireballs. It would be able to take a few hits from cannonballs, but after 3 of them it would weaken very quickly (can take more hits in berserk mode but, again, Raf would probably die). So yeah, 3 cannonballs or, like, 20ish sword-fully-through-the-body type stabs, and it would have to dematerialize and return to limbo. Need a full day before it could be summoned again, and would still be weakened.

The imp is insignificant- kick it hard enough and it goes poof xD
Perfect, let's lower that first top speed to 70mph. Other than that you're golden. That's the top speed of a cheetah, and seems more attainable for other mages. In terms of fireballs, go read my character's newest power descriptions for current scale. You're good on that one. We can assume they'd do as much damage as a flaming cannonball to straight up wood. Think about the fact that a normal pirate could make a Molotov cocktail and burn a sail just as easily as we cast a spell. Not to mention there's sure to be a pyromancer or two amongst all the mages out there.

I’m thinking Sholem is restless, walking the beach and the ports, trying to settle his heart, and probably stumbles upon him.

Seems fine seems fine. A picture for your character should be all I need then. I will ask, are you doing things like growing Vines to attack enemies, or is it all potions and charms?
All potions and charms, her magic is primarily healing, with a splash of protection thrown in. I'll find a suitable picture before I leave the house

cinnarinn cinnarinn EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1 okay, I am ready with my sheet now all. I know how Ayama will enter the roleplay, and I'll be playing Helena's crew rejecting him.

For you other two, how would you be spending your time in port royal to start? Just so I know how to lead you to Abel.

Abel himself will be actively recruiting his crew on the beach. The only qualification: you must be able to incapacitate Abel either by magical or physical means. Three on one battles allowed. Eventually all of you will walk past, and by chance join up as a group of three to have a scrap with Abel. Don't worry! Any wounds will be healed by a nearby Voodoo Priest after the fight! And obviously, the three of you will prevail in the end, so don't get worried if abel starts beating you up at first!
Nessa would likely be going around trying to find anyone who would be willing to take her aboard their ship, and receiving many many rejections.

Ayama Ayama I'm sorry to request an edit, but I had actually been planning on playing Helena. Would you mind rewriting so that you're walking on board the Harpy? In general I'll prefer to play any NPCS I've mention unless I otherwise say

Isn't the point to get the crew together? Having Raf get in extra posting arc with Helena just for setup seems unnecessary and like it'll offset everything compared to everyone else. Why set up your guy on the beach if you don't want us joining him to get things rolling? :/

Isn't the point to get the crew together? Having Raf get in extra posting arc with Helena just for setup seems unnecessary and like it'll offset everything compared to everyone else. Why set up your guy on the beach if you don't want us joining him to get things rolling? :/
It’s about narrative for me. Helena is a character I created to have a specific role in the story. I stated in advance I’d be playing her when she rejected you, because I was going to take the chance to do some characterization. Since you conveniently brought her up in your motivation, i thought it could be a good chance to introduce her. With the way you’ve written it, I don’t have the opportunity to introduce a core character in the story the way I had intended. The way you wrote her and her crew is not the way they would act, or what they would say. So now, when I write for them, it will seem inconsistent.

I only plan on making a single post as her before you can leave the scene on the harpy. Just one reply to your request to join. It won’t hold up the story at all. To me, it’s kind of like if I took control of Raph for the first scene, played him how I wanted to, and then handed him off for you to play differently.

It’s about narrative for me. Helena is a character I created to have a specific role in the story. I stated in advance I’d be playing her when she rejected you, because I was going to take the chance to do some characterization. Since you conveniently brought her up in your motivation, i thought it could be a good chance to introduce her. With the way you’ve written it, I don’t have the opportunity to introduce a core character in the story the way I had intended. The way you wrote her and her crew is not the way they would act, or what they would say. So now, when I write for them, it will seem inconsistent.

I only plan on making a single post as her before you can leave the scene on the harpy. Just one reply to your request to join. It won’t hold up the story at all. To me, it’s kind of like if I took control of Raph for the first scene, played him how I wanted to, and then handed him off for you to play differently.
Seems like a bit of an extreme comparison to me. It isn't like I decided to write the entire scene with them- all I did was attribute a couple of typical lines and that's it. If those lines are what's bothering you, I'm happy to switch them to a version that doesn't contradict your vision.

Hey everyone. I’m in the hospital with my girlfriend tonight. Been here a few hours. I’ll get right to continuing this when we get discharged, as she’s not in any danger. Still, she does need my full attention right now. I hope you all are having a great day.
of course, completley understandable! I hope she gets better soon :)

Ayama Ayama I've had a little time to reread my messages. The LAST thing I want to be is the "my way or the highway," DM. I will admit with everything going on in my personal life, I made this seem like a WAY bigger deal than it was. Please forgive me for that.

The reason I care isn't even necessarily the line itself. I should have explained myself better, so please allow me to try again:

I had a scene planned around Helena meeting Raphael specifically. I had worked out several details in my head that could be referenced later. Foreshadowing, that sort of thing. I was actually very excited that you included Helena in your motivation for this reason. It allowed me the perfect opportunity to introduce her without any shoehorning, or revealing any plot. Not to mention, Raphael is the only one in the cast that ACTUALLY WOULD be allowed to join Helena's crew. He fits the aesthetic perfectly, so I had to come up with a specific reason to turn Raphael down and I really liked what I came up with.

I didn't tell you ANY of this. Instead I just got upset you jumped ahead of me, and didn't even tell you why. That was fucked up. Again, I'm really sorry for that.

I can understand you probably want to get to character interaction, and don't want to be left out of the friend-making. I totally get that. I won't stop you from walking onto the beach right away if you still want to, and we can retcon the line.

However, I did have a plan to delay the other players until Raphael got there, so that the 3v1 recruiting fight could happen. If you'd indulge me in my character introduction of Helena, I think it would add to the story rather than take away from it.

Either way, I do need you to not take control of any character that isn't yours in the future. Speaking as Abel was definitely crossing the line. That isn't how this scene goes down, or how Abel is going about recruiting. In this instance, you are more actively obstructing my ability to run the game. If you create another character/npc I approve of, or I give you express permission, are the only times you should speak as one of my characters. I hope I explained myself properly, without ruining the fun for you. If I didn't stress it enough, I like Raph! And demon! And I think the interaction between he and Helena has potential to be an interesting read. But still no metagaming going forward. Simply ask or let me know if you intend to do something like that in the future, please. That's my bottom line. That goes for other player characters as well.

Last edited:
Ayama Ayama I've had a little time to reread my messages. The LAST thing I want to be is the "my way or the highway," DM. I will admit with everything going on in my personal life, I made this seem like a WAY bigger deal than it was. Please forgive me for that.

The reason I care isn't even necessarily the line itself. I should have explained myself better, so please allow me to try again:

I had a scene planned around Helena meeting Raphael specifically. I had worked out several details in my head that could be referenced later. Foreshadowing, that sort of thing. I was actually very excited that you included Helena in your motivation for this reason. It allowed me the perfect opportunity to introduce her without any shoehorning, or revealing any plot. Not to mention, Raphael is the only one in the cast that ACTUALLY WOULD be allowed to join Helena's crew. He fits the aesthetic perfectly, so I had to come up with a specific reason to turn Raphael down and I really liked what I came up with.

I didn't tell you ANY of this. Instead I just got upset you jumped ahead of me, and didn't even tell you why. Again, I'm really sorry for that.

I can understand you probably want to get to character interaction, and don't want to be left out of the friend-making. I totally get that. I won't stop you from walking onto the beach right away if you still want to, and we can retcon the line.

However, I did have a plan to delay the other players until Raphael got there, so that the 3v1 recruiting fight could happen. If you'd indulge me in my character introduction of Helena, I think it would add to the story rather than take away from it.

Either way, I do need you to not take control of any character that isn't yours in the future. Taking control of Abel to call out to Raphael is not how this scene plays out. If you create another character/npc I approve of, or I give you express permission, are the only times you should speak as one of my characters. I hope I explained myself properly, without ruining the fun for you. If I didn't stress it enough, I like Raph! And demon! And I think the interaction between he and Helena has potential to be an interesting read. But still no metagaming going forward. Simply ask or let me know if you intend to do something like that in the future, please. That's my bottom line. That goes for other player characters as well.
Appreciate the explanation- at least it gives a bit more context. You did specifically say it was fine to bunny your characters so, since Abel is out on the beach recruiting, and Raf is unlikely to just walk up and say 'I wanna join your crew, random stranger', it didn't seem like an issue to give Abel an obvious, generic line. Again, if you want me to edit the 3-4 non Raf/M lines in the post, just tell me what I need to change them to.

As for the whole scene with Helena, since it seems so important to get it out there, why don't you just PM me about it and we can collab' on a side/short-while-ago flashback post that can introduce whatever you want to introduce without requiring me to rewrite my entire intro post or jump out of the post order and current interactions?

EDIT: Oh wow I just realized what happened. The bunnying thing is from the other RP I've been looking at joining at the same time as this one, and I just confused one for the other. I'm so sorry about that- this sort of thing usually doesn't happen to me, but I'm so exhausted and overwhelmed that stuff I would normally be on top of just falls through the cracks x.x Anyway feel free to PM me about those edits xD

Last edited:
This Name is unavailable This Name is unavailable your Shield-sister is more than welcome in our ranks. However, currently she's a bit underpowered compared to our other mages. Let's assume two things to get past this:

1. You can continue coming up with ideas for rune-abilities or enhancements as we play and just run them by me before we put them in action in-character.

2. Astrid is way stronger than your average pirate, even the big ones. Like beat them in arm wrestling in a half second, lift them over her head, snap them in half on her knee, strong. Meaning "double her strength," is a lot.

Do you even want more powers or? Up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back