• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Qᴜᴀʀʀʏ ᴀᴛ ᴅᴀᴡɴ, 𝙝𝙤𝙧𝙧𝙤𝙧. [IC]

lost & found

ALTON CHAMBERS & JONATHAN EVERGREEN
T
here were consequences for his actions, and Alton knew that. So, he shouldn’t have been surprised when he woke up with a nasty crick in his neck from trying to read before sleeping. The book had been buried somewhere in the sheets, but he had remained partially upright. How? It was a mystery. Why? Karma, probably. One of the first things he thought about was Morgan. Now that some sleep had cleared his head, he probably needed to apologize to the other guy. Yet, when he glanced around the cabin, which hurt due to the aforementioned neck crick, he didn’t see him. Well, they were here for two weeks, it’s not like he’d miss his chance to get his apology out.

The next thing that had occurred to him in the clarity of a deep rest was what to do with the bottle of pills. Duh. Give them to Jonathan. The man was Renee’s father, after all, and he probably would appreciate being given his daughter’s medication. Alt would have to fight the urge to pry, but boy, did he want to. Not that he thought Jonathan would give anything away. He always seemed to put a strong barrier between being a dad and everything else. Fortunately, being interrupted by Libby and Marquis had not given him time to anonymize the bottle. Instead, he just showed up flaunting a knife. So, Alt couldn’t be accused of doing anything suspicious… with the pill bottle. Brandishing a knife was suspicious enough.

Alt stood, stretched, and tended to his morning routine. Washing up, applying moisturizer with some SPF to his face, fixing his hair, sliding on his clothes, and—well—he hesitated over the bug spray. Instead, he pocketed the small bottle in his black hoodie. He didn’t want to smell of citronella and eucalyptus right out of the gate. His blonde hair was not as shockingly pale as usual. Some low lights from his roots were coming in. He fixed it a little bit, purposefully giving it a messy look. Then, for a bit of drama, he applied a small amount of black eyeliner on his bottom eyelids to hopefully abate the questions about looking tired. Alt then grabbed his book, pocketknife, and fished the pill bottle from its hiding place. He slipped on some boots and considered himself done.

Alt did his rounds, put the pep in some of the camper’s steps, and was on the lookout for Morgan. He was making his way down Hallows Trail, when he heard Jonathan’s voice, along with someone else’s. Alton hesitated. The angel and the devil on his shoulder argued for a second before they swore they heard a chipper, flirtatious feminine voice. Immediately, they both agreed that Alt should snoop. Alt got as close as he could without being seen. That is when he saw a girl, possibly a new counselor, alone with Jonathan, looking flustered. That’s when she hugged him–tightly. And Jonathan returned it reflexively and warmly. “Ew,” was all he could get out at that moment. “What the fuck is going on there? He–” Alt silenced the words in his throat before he was caught. He heard a commotion as more people joined in on their group. Alt didn’t move as they talked, not wanting to draw attention to himself. A beat or two passed, and then he realized he was standing stock-still like a weirdo as Jonathan left the group.

“Fuck. The medicine.” Alt barked at himself and then hustled down the way, making sure to avoid–who he was sure was Leon–as he made his way down Hallows Trail.

It only took half a minute before Alt caught him walking. “Jonathan—” he remarked before coming to a stop. He was hot. The hoodie was a mistake. He started clawing it off his body, but then he realized how stupid that looked. “Hey,” was all he said halfway through undressing but the entire way through embarrassment.

Jonathan turns in surprise at Alton’s voice, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his trousers. His gaze travels just behind the man, to the group still loitering around the end of the trail but their attention focused elsewhere, and back to Alton. “Alt—” He notes the hoodie halfway off his body, black of all colours. “Black in the middle of summer? You’ll overheat before the day is through.” He remarks with a chuckle, stepping forward to help tug at the sleeves.

The hoodie came off shortly after that, the contents rattling to the ground. Alt smoothed his shirt down. It was just a plain gray tee underneath. “That’s the plan. Just Easy Bake Oven myself until I can just lay in the nurse's office all day. And seeing as I’m one of the nurses, I get all the juice boxes I want.” Alt didn’t know why this was what he was starting with. He had so many questions for the man, but first things first. He squatted down and scooped up his things. The book, pocketknife, and bug spray went back into the pocket of the hoodie, and then the hoodie was draped over his shoulder. “Look, I need to give you something, but first… how are you?”

Jonathan chews on his lip in thought and snorts a laugh at Alton’s comment. Being honest would take some much needed weight off his chest and Alton was bound to find out shortly in any case. “Lisa Xander is missing. So, you can imagine how I might feel at the moment.” His voice is clipped, the tiresome nights catching up to him now as he reveals the harsh truth of what his week has looked like. Standing in the site of his daughter's disappearance, with an added potential kidnapping on top of it.

“I’m sorry? Another person is missing? Jesus Fucking Christ.” Alt said that before realizing how insensitive it sounded. “I’m an idiot–I’m sorry.” The pill bottle felt like a ten-pound weight in his hand, and his fingers clasped over it so tightly it made them paler than usual.

Jonathan shakes his head reassuringly at Alton’s slip-up. There wasn’t a blueprint on what you should and shouldn’t say to grieving parents and he was forced to understand that in the first few weeks following last summer. “Billie Lennon is replacing her. I just walked her into camp, right there.” He nods at the group still at the path, noting Leon and Billie trading the plastic bags back and forth.

“I’m sorry,” Alt repeated as once was far from enough. “Billie?” he half-asked-half-said. So, that was the name of the counselor who had hugged Jonathan earlier. She had a look about her like she was staring at a high school crush when she had given him that hug. Alt felt disgusted, to say the least. “She seems enthusiastic.” He tried not to let a tone bleed into his words.

Don’t be sorry, Jonathan wants to assure but switches gears as Alton’s tone alters slightly when he mentions Billie’s enthusiasm.“What do you have for me?”

“Yeah. I found this.” Alt extended his hand and uncurled his fingers around the pill bottle. “I felt like it was only right to give it to you.”

“She’s a kind girl. Really helped me out by taking the job, I think she’s just excited for the opportunity.” He gives him a pointed look, one that says don’t be like that and takes the bottle from Alton’s hand, fingers skimming over his palm. His eyebrows pinch in recognition. Renee’s prescription drugs.

Despite Jonathan leveling a look at him, Alton was going to be like that. But it would be later and not under the watchful eye of the camp owner. He’d find out precisely what Billie was up to. And maybe she was just an excited “right place, right time” sort of hire. But it all felt very suspicious. Usually, Alt wouldn’t give a shit, but if Lisa’s disappearance interfered with his community service–he’d have to shovel trash in a ditch somewhere. Honestly, the insults to his ego wouldn’t stop.

“Thank you… for returning it.” Had the police not thought to grab this? Disgruntled by the evidence of the department's refusal to be thorough, and who they’re lobbying at him as their person of interest in Lisa’s disappearance, Jonathan’s mood sours completely. Once upon a time, it was Alton they were telling him might be the most likely suspect in his girls’ apparent deaths—before it had even hit twenty four hours missing—and he shot it down at the earliest opportunity, knowing Alton’s temper would never evolve into becoming physical. He didn’t appreciate what he heard, but it was just words.

“How about you? I’m sure not many are happy to see you’ve returned.”

“No. They are not. On the bright side, I think me blowing up at everyone takes precedence over the assumption that I’ve had anything to do with–well–everything. I–” He paused momentarily, his eyes searching Jonathan’s face as his lips searched for the right words. “Want to thank you for letting me do my community service here. I know everything has been rough.” He looked over his shoulder to the commotion further down the way and stepped into Jonathan. “But this does not mean we are even, favor-wise,” Alt spoke under his breath as he said this.

“We’re in public.” Jonathan cautions him with another pointed look, taking a reluctant step backwards. “It has been rough and I appreciate the concern. I’ll be in town to speak more with Officer Jones about Lisa and your community service.” Stealing a quick look around, Jonathan drops his voice, “you can meet me this weekend at the Motel Del.”

Alt, with his back turned to everyone, made a face that was a mix of frustration and teasing. He chewed his lip a little but conceded, sliding one hand into his pocket. He hated this feeling. It was a mixture of knowing what he wanted but not getting it. He was told to wait. Alt always had to wait. Wait to be gay. Wait to be angry. Wait for medical school. But, at least here there was a light at the end of the tunnel. “Of course,” he remarked, looking like the saddest puppy at the pound. “I’ll be there with bells on, as they say.” He sighed, the cadence of his voice returning to normal. He no longer masked it under his husky breath. “Officer Jones, I see. I’ll work on getting my game face on.” He chuckled. “But seriously, I hope he can actually help. You’ve been through enough.” Sure, that last bit was said at average volume, but who would disagree?

“So have you.” Jonathan wasn’t a stranger to accusations. The general public of Easthallow’s assumption rested with him—that he would kill his own daughters, for what? The theories were endless. He empathised with Alton’s situation, all things considered. “I, unfortunately, have an appointment to attend to.” Jonathan took hold of Alton's hand, the one that returned his daughters belongings, and threaded their fingers together. “This weekend.” He promises.

All of that bravado immediately evaporated when Jonathan slipped his fingers between Alt’s. The contrast of his pale skin against Jonathan’s own made him feel more like porcelain. It didn’t help that his gruff demeanor softened, and his cheeks elicited such a bright blush that one might have thought Alt had come down with a fever. Even with the pinkish-red scarring that marred his face, it was apparent that Alt was flustered. It was sad that he so quickly turned into a wobbly fawn of a person, but Alt had one button and it was firmly being pushed.

His thin fingers pressed against the back of Jonathan’s hand, and he brought their palms together. As much as he wanted to do so much more, it was already dangerous that they were this close. And as much as Alt enjoyed bucking against authority, he respected people’s rights to privacy. It would be ironic if he didn’t. “Of course,” he remarked blandly for every emotion that stuttered through his chest. “But I didn’t lose anyone close to me. If anything, I gained someone.” His eyes focused on Jonathan’s lips before he exhaled. “This weekend.” He confirmed. As much as he wanted to do something else to delay the point and keep Jonathan here, he also didn’t want to tax what they had. This wasn’t some insouciant fling, but he knew others would assume so if they saw them together. It was strange; Alt loathed that he wasn’t headed off to medical school, but at this moment, he was pretty content being here. “I don’t want to keep you, but I keep meaning to ask. Why did you reopen camp?”

Reluctantly, Jonathan pulls his hand free. The skin of his palm prickles to seek out that warmth again, so he stubbornly shoves his hands into his back pockets. “Hope, I suppose. My daughters are still here. Someone might have seen what happened, or… remember something, a memory might come back.” A whole lot of maybe and hopes propelled him into the decision of reopening—selling wasn’t an option, closing permanently certainly wasn’t an option, no matter the risk he was putting others through.

Swallowing hard, Jonathan takes a step away, putting himself into a position to leave—he didn’t want to leave him waiting. “Keep your wits about you. It’s not safe.”

It wasn’t safe? What the hell does that mean? Maybe he meant it because of what happened to his daughters. Despite his extreme dislike for Renee, that didn’t mean she needed to be wiped from existence, and Paige felt like an accidental bystander in all of this. Alt would have called him stubborn and fool-hearted if he actually thought that. No, he thought something else–he felt something else… deeply.

Alt curled his fingers into his palms, the warmth leaving his hands almost immediately. He hated that. Honestly, he wasn’t a needy lover–desperate for attention. But it was hard to stand in the middle of the woods and not do more. This felt like a high school dance where they had to put Jesus between them. At that time, Alt noted the lack of noise and turned his head to see that Leon and the gang had moved on. Much like when a child wrapped themselves in a blanket to feel brave, Alt wrapped himself in the forest's silence and decided to be courageous. He closed the gap between him and Jonathan, fully intending to pull him into an embrace that would hopefully take away some of the other man’s weariness and depression. Yet, when he brought his hands up, two figures crept into his vision.

Fucking Miriam. He didn’t recognize the other person. And that… guy. Alt dropped his hands. “Thought I saw a bug,” he said flatly. “My mistake. Anyway, I hope you have a good day, Mr. Evergreen. Thanks for answering my question.” He lifted a hand as if to politely wave goodbye, trying to focus away from the encroaching couple and back at Jonathan. He smiled a soft little smile at the man and mouthed something that only he could see before turning his attention to the intruders, immediately scowling.

Jonathan clears his throat at the misplaced comment of his welcoming committee from Hugo’s very own son. He smiles tightly, pursing his lips and thinking I deserve that for entertaining this as long as I have. “See you, Alton.” Waiting until the two pass by, he mouths to Alton, this weekend and heads down the trail, towards his appointment.

Alt hesitated, letting Jonathan leave, and New Guy and Miriam get far enough away before he cautiously slid his hoodie back on. He pushed the hood away from his hair, idly fixing it with his fingers. He took the bugspray from his pocket and spritzed his skin. He held it gingerly in the hand that Jonathan had touched and scanned the label, almost as if looking for an indication--an answer as to why this was his life. Alt threw the bottle as hard as he could, the joint in his shoulder tugging before feeling like it snapped out of place. He didn't care. He grunted as he tossed it, a visceral and pained noise between his clenched teeth.

Then he pulled back and punched the nearest tree, the bark shredding his knuckles. Blood started to pool around the parts that looked like pale ground meat, but he did it again. The pain snapped him back, and he cradled his hand for a moment before pulling his hoodie sleeve over it. Dejected and angry, he moved towards the dining hall.

outfit:

leon m.

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

filler

• home (filler tab)

noah kahan

the view between villages

An awkward tension simmers just under the surface of his welcoming facade. It was a relief knowing there'd always be more people to pick up the available positions, to keep the camp alive even if it failed in return. He rubs the back of his neck, anxious about this next part, and leads what is left of his group—namely Billie by his side with Vivienne trailing behind—towards the Dining Hall, half-remembering to stop every few seconds and point out landmarks with a rough explanation of who, why, what, when and where.

Inside the Dining Hall, his nervous energy reaches a fever pitch. He searches for Levi in the crowd, swallowing his unease. This is how I have to tell him about Lisa? His eyes find Lisa's inner circle, feeling a stab of guilt. Connie, his friend, inconsolable after losing Ricky and Paige in one fell swoop. Ramona, the two inseparable. God, Rowan. . . Leon gestures for the group to find a seat, too far gone in his overwhelming thoughts on how to approach the situation to muster up any words that wouldn't be fuck this, why is this my job—

Paige. That's why.
Knowing he's going to fail her twice now, Leon awkwardly shifts to the middle of the Hall, between the campers and counsellors' seating. "Good morning, guys! Uh, hopefully we're all settled and adjusted after yesterday. Today will be a little slow moving," he sorts through the papers until he finds the schedule, holding it with shaky hands, "at nine thirty we have Arts & Crafts with Leilani and Isla at the helm. Nature with our new addition to the counsellors, Miriam Berry." Finding some confidence, Leon throws a stern look at choice campers in the tables, ones that like to pick on who they deem 'fresh meat'. "Fifty kids assigned each, campers had their schedules sent ahead of time and if you need a new copy, check in with Liberty at med-bay to make a note for Eva to print new ones for you, got it?"

Waiting to hear the 'yes, Leon' from the campers, he continues. "Free time. Lunch. Times have been pushed up by thirty minutes to accommodate the curfew we now have. I expect each of you to stick to it." Hypocrite. "At one thirty, we have Sports—a little bit of a roster change again. Rowan, Ricky, and Levi," campers look between themselves and whispers of, 'Levi's not teaching music?' echo around the hall. His smile is involuntary, finding his best friend in the crowd with a reassuring wink. "Clarisse is now a substitute. She's too well-rounded to be delegated to only one job so all of you will be seeing her a lot more often." Which offered some peace of mind for Leon. He wouldn't be running around and grasping at straws with Clarisse to fall back on.

He swallows as the schedule nears the end, nearing the inevitable. "Um. And then... swimming, another roster change." He takes great care not to roll his eyes as he says, "Johanna Auer will be the sole swimming instructor. We're all aware by now that Juliette has been moved to the kitchen. A thirty-thirty split this time around. Lowering our numbers on account of um, well—" How much could he even say? "Safety."

"Finally, at four thirty we have Survivalist activities with Riley, Jason, and Nicolas—Hugo Burns' son, a warm welcome from all of you is expected. It won't be me you have to worry about."
Another stern look. If Hugo frightened him, he expected the campers to have the good sense to know better than hound on Nicolas. "Archery won't be held until tomorrow, but Kayden will be around as an extra set of hands. Don't bug him about shooting bows and arrows all day, surviving is more than that."

"Farming. . ."
another swallow, his chin dimpling with the effort to not choke up. He couldn't be expected to deliver this news. To watch the people who loved her most wrestle with reality. "A lot of changes, actually. Ramona stays the same. Uh, then we have Lou and Billie—" his stern look lacks conviction with his stomach performing concurrent backflips. "Lisa Xander will not be returning." And he drops his hands, signalling the end of Orientation until the campers finish eating their breakfast.

Normally, he would take his seat beside the nearest counsellor and strike up a conversation with the campers, force food down the throats of everyone with a physical activity that day so they'd burn the energy they needed. He longed to sit beside Levi, to sneak him the news before the others—but the campers would hear and Leon was too chicken to reveal publicly how not safe this camp is. Instead, he takes his position by the door, leant up on the wall besides the bulletin board and stares at the papers in his hands, playing the scene in his mind of how. How am I supposed to tell them this camp lost another girl?

Once the campers file out one by one, he gestures for each counsellor about to follow suit to hang back. When the room is clear, he drops his bravado and slaps a hand to his forehead, rubbing at the tension building there. "Uh, I'm sure there's questions about Lisa. She's. . ." just spit it out. "She's been declared missing. Six days. The police are working on it, but," but that meant nothing when Renee and Paige haven't been found yet. "If any of you have heard from her in the past few days, or even last month, then tell Eva or head to med-bay to use the phone and call Officer Jones. I'm sure anything helps."

Stomach pinching uncomfortably, he offers, "tradition stands. Truth or Dare at the Sunspot, costumes on as usual. I'm sure we could all use the distraction and a drink."

♡coded by uxie♡

MOOD: juliette (nervous, but relaxed) marquis (comfortable but optimistic)

OUTFIT: n/a

basics
INTERACTING
Wyll Wyll
tags
TL;DR marquis and juliette make breakfast together. we thinking- waffles? (+ leon dropping a bomb)
tl;dr
morning breakfast
marquis solis & juliette yorkes
For Quis, the rest of the early morning and into the morning devolved into a restless and spiraling cycle of taking a short nap, waking up to check the window, trying to go back to sleep, rinsing and repeating until the sun started looking back at him.

Annoyed by the sun marauding his eyes of their sight as he made the naive mistake of looking directly into the star, and far too mentally tired to even attempt finding some way to fall back asleep, he tumbled, gracelessly, out of bed. That wasn’t an exaggeration either: he did in fact *tumble* out of bed, landing on his back and filled with such apathy that even the fall couldn’t knock the wind out of him. He just let out a slow, resigned, defeated sigh as he pulled himself to his feet, mouthing an apology to any cabin mates he had woken up.

The sun was still in the stretching phases of waking up, the sky still decorated with pink and orange and purple hues kissing the clouds; clearly nowhere near the start of the camp day, but it was close enough for Marquis. The zombie dragged himself to the shower, his feet scraping across the floor lightly, but - thankfully - not enough to cause more of a ruckus than he already had. When he emerged, he was an entirely new creature, almost as if some transformative work had happened in that shower. In fact, all that happened was him making up his mind to fake it until he made it. Business as usual, really.

I could probably get used to this, Juliette thought as she started her morning, so different from past summers. Normally, she’d be curled up in her bunk, letting the day slip by while she caught up on sleep. But things have changed this year. There were new responsibilities—ones she felt surprisingly ready for, even if it meant sacrificing some of her favorite activities like swimming. It’s probably for the best.

Still, she reminded herself why she was here, why she was given this chance. Jonathan Evergreen had been more than gracious, allowing her to return despite…everything. The sisters, her mind whispered, a cringe forming at the thought. Why am I even thinking about that right now? She shook her head, swallowing the uncomfortable memories as she ascended the stairs that led to the kitchen.

Her mind drifted back to the night before. It had been unexpectedly pleasant, Clarisse helping to clean up after dinner. Could’ve been worse, she mused, her lips curling into a brief frown as she remembered Mona making her way to the dining hall at night—could have spoken to Mona, again.

Shaking the disturbing thought from her mind, Juliette navigated her way through the kitchen with newfound ease. Her gaze flickered to the oven, checking the time. Something simple today, and quick, she decided, making a beeline for the pantry. Humming softly to herself, she tapped her fingers thoughtfully against her chin. Cereal? She wrinkled her nose at the thought. Too lame, even for me.

Her eyes darted to the side, catching sight of bottles of syrup on the counter. Waffles. A small grin tugged at her lips as the idea settled. Perfect. She wasted no time, gathering the ingredients, eager to keep herself busy. The familiar rhythm of cooking was comforting, a welcome distraction from the “what ifs” and the weight of the past she’d been trying to shake off.

Marquis walked without direction and without purpose, pretty much steered by the wind. He needed something to do with all the restless energy that was bubbling under the surface - adrenaline from the scare earlier battling his sleep deprivation and, for right now at least, the adrenaline was winning. Still, he had no idea where he was going or how he would burn the nervous energy.

Until a streak of blonde arrested his attention, that is.

His heart skipped several beats, thinking it was one of the sisters at first. The resemblance was striking and rendered him unable to move as waves of panic and joy; disbelief and relief; crashed over him. He wanted, with everything in him, for it to be one of them; for the nightmare to be over; for it to turn out that they had played one massive, year-long prank on everyone.

However, when he did manage to collect his thoughts and calm his rampaging heartbeat, the reality of the situation sat with him. Juliette. A sad smile carved itself on his face as he watched her make her way to the kitchen. Of all the people he had missed from camp, she was one of the ones he had missed the most. He couldn’t understand why she’d dye her hair though - her natural flame-kissed hair had suited her so well. The blonde still looked good on her, but he surely would miss the auburn locks.

Whatever the case may be, he had a direction now. He’d been wanting to catch up with her for a while and hadn’t seen her yesterday in order for him to do that. Perhaps this was his chance. I remember hearing something about her being the camp cook this year? Maybe she could use some help. She was one of the few people he would actually go out of his way to help, plus, it was something to do.

She had a pretty big headstart on him, but long legs helped him cover distance. He got to the kitchen about the same time as she finished gathering her ingredients. He was about to swing the door open when he got a genius idea.

A wicked grin climbed his face as he started creeping towards the door, making his steps as silent as possible. He gently urged the door open, sliding in soundlessly as he continued his approach toward her. He’d been so focused on trying to sneak up on her that the kitchen stool to his left hadn’t appeared in his vision and, as such, he stubbed his toe against it - hard enough for it to immediately bring him to his knees and loud enough that Juliette definitely heard. Even if she didn’t hear him stub his toe, she most definitely heard the groan that was pulled from his throat as he tried not to cry out in pain.

Juliette let herself get lost in the baking, whisking the ingredients into the bowl while occasionally cracking a few eggs, her hands working on autopilot as the quiet of the morning enveloped her. Today, the silence in her head wasn’t as unsettling as it usually was. In fact, it felt…peaceful, a welcome break from the whirlwind of emotions that had overwhelmed her yesterday.

She let out a soft sigh, hoping today would be a bit more manageable, less chaotic. No dramatic outbursts, no racing heart. She shuddered at the memory of how her anxiety had taken over, how she’d spiraled—thinking about Renee. Always Renee. No one understood what they had, what they were. It was easy for people to comment on her new look—the bleached blonde hair that had replaced her old rusty orange curls—like it was just a style choice. They didn’t see how much more it meant, how much Renee had shaped her. Put a pin in it.

Juliette cringed. Yesterday had been something, but today…today could be different. She hoped.

Just as she was about to head towards the other end of the room, Juliette froze mid-step, a faint noise catching her off guard. Her grip on the mixing bowl tightened as she spun around, her eyes landing on the figure that had startled her. "Jesus—what are you doing here, Quis?" she huffed, trying to mask her surprise with a snort.

Placing the bowl down on the counter, she approached Marquis, eyebrow raised in mock disapproval. He was sprawled on the floor, looking sheepish next to a stool that had toppled over beside him. Juliette couldn't help the laugh that escaped her, even though she tried to hold it back. "Did you really try to scare me?" she mused, shaking her head. "And—" she gestured to the stool, unable to stop the small smile that formed. "Are you okay?"

Quis needed a moment before he would be able to respond to any line of questioning. All he could hear right now was the pain in his foot - the fact that he could hear pain should probably have been an indication that he had stubbed it harder than normal, but he wasn’t quite comprehensive enough to put those pieces together.

He held up a single finger, requesting the much needed moment through gesture, as speech was still unavailable to him. It took a few seconds but, eventually, the pain quieted just enough for him to begin breathing again.

Her arms uncrossed as she extended a hand, offering to help him up. "You planning to help with breakfast, or is everyone waiting on me?"

He looked up and, seeing a hand, gratefully accepted it. Being bigger in just about every metric, he had to be careful that he didn’t just pull her down with him, so he ended up doing most of the work anyway. “Oh, nobody’s out there,” he replied, slowly walking with her towards the counter where she had been working. “Half the camp is probably still in bed. Just came to keep you company. Figured it must get kinda boring in here. Especially in the morning. Plus I…” He trailed off. I couldn’t sleep? I can’t tell her that! It will lead to way too many questions that I just don’t have answers for. “I was up anyway.”

Juliette trailed a few steps behind, her eyes fixed on Marquis as he moved toward the counter where bowls of batter sat waiting. "Was...just up, huh?" she asked, her tone light but probing. She and Marquis had a history that extended beyond camp, and she'd gotten pretty good at reading him. Something seemed off, but she knew better than to push too soon.

Instead, she joined him at the counter, quietly retrieving the waffle maker and sliding it between them. "I won’t push it, but I hope everything’s alright," she added, flashing him a small, tight-lipped smile before diverting her gaze, focusing on plugging in the waffle maker. The quiet hum of the appliance filled the silence between them as they waited.

“I appreciate the help, though,” she said, her voice softening as a flicker of nervousness washed over her. She absentmindedly pushed some loose strands of hair out of her face, her other hand rubbing at her elbows. “It’s kind of weird being back.” Her words hung in the air, the unspoken truth heavy between them. With no Renee.

Quis was grateful that she had decided not to dig any deeper into why he was here and why so early. Partly because he didn’t have any satisfying answers, and partly because he wanted to get whatever had happened earlier in the morning out of his head. In fact, he would be doing his utmost to avoid Mr. Evergreen today, just so he didn’t have to be the one to inform him.

He hummed in agreement to the fact that it felt weird being back. They had all tried to be “adults” and move past it but it felt like whatever progress they had each made the last year was undone by coming to camp and now they were all trying to make their way back up. It wasn’t all bad though. It was good to see everyone back and trying to move forward. And, so far - minus the little thing with Liberty yesterday - things seemed to have been going well. If they could keep that up for the rest of camp, this might turn out amazing.

He wondered, briefly, if this was the right time to also mention that he’d missed her and was worried about her and was sorry he hadn’t reached out the entire year. However, that felt a little…much for this being the first time they saw each other the camp year. If it came up later, then he’d deal with it then. For now, he was going to try and not make it awkward. “So. New hair, huh? I like it.”

The silence stretched between them, comfortable but thick with unspoken thoughts, until Marquis finally spoke up. His comment about her hair caught Juliette off guard, and she turned to him, her expression softening into a genuine smile. “Oh, you like it?” she asked, her hand reflexively reaching up to fiddle with the strands, a hint of nervousness creeping in. It seemed like everyone had something to say about her new look, especially the blonde color that Joey had helped out with over the summer.

"New year, new me," Juliette joked, though her laugh was a bit stifled, hoping it wasn’t some jab. She busied herself with pouring batter into the waffle maker, watching as Marquis followed along. “I got sick of the orange,” she admitted, it makes me feel closer to her.

He heard the hesitation in her laugh and offered an encouraging smile, bumping her shoulder a little bit. “Hey, I mean it,” he affirmed. “Like, don’t get me wrong, I’ll miss the orange a lot. But a change of pace now and then can be good.” He began getting busy with the waffle maker as well, closing it once Juliette was done pouring, as he talked. “Plus. You have one of those faces that would look good even if you were bald.”

Juliette couldn't help but smile, her mood lightening as Marquis bumped into her shoulder playfully. "Thanks, Marquis," she said, glancing at him with a raised brow, catching his cheeky comment. "Please, me bald? Yeah, right." She bumped him back, her snort breaking through as she returned to their task.

Shaking her head with a grin, she added, “Quit being a flatterer, you,” though there was a hint of amusement in her tone. Perhaps today wouldn’t be so bad afterall.

He flipped the waffle maker and paused, a thought crossing his mind. He pursed his lips and crossed his arms. “However…that does leave us without our resident camp redhead.” He paused for a little bit before throwing his glance at Juliette and pulling up a strand of his hair. “...think I could pull it off?”

Juliette leaned against the counter, elbows resting on the surface as she watched Marquis flip the waffle. A flicker of surprise crossed her face when he brought up the "resident camp redhead" joke, a small inner joke between friends. She smiled at the familiarity of it, but her eyes followed as he tugged at his own strand, clearly gearing up for another playful remark. Shaking her head, she held back a laugh of her own. "Hmm, probably not," she mused, narrowing her eyes at him with a mock serious expression. "Blonde, maybe though."

“Blonde, huh?”
He let the thought sit for a while before shrugging. “Knowing me, I'd probably find some way to mess it up. I'll go for blonde and end up with…I dunno, neon yellow or something.” He shuddered at the thought. “Yeah, no. I think I'll stick with what I've got.”

He noticed the sun slowly climbing and glanced around, finding the time on the oven clock and humming as he did some calculations. People would start waking up soon and, while they probably had enough time, it might by cutting it close. Especially if they kept goofing around.

He'd seen her grab the waffle maker, so he moved to that cabinet, squatted to reach it and pulled the doors open. A disappointed frown settled upon his face as he muttered. “I could have sworn that I saw a second one in here. Hmm…” He looked back up at her, his head tilting to one side. “Any clue if we have a second waffle maker in here? Maybe a third and a fourth? Should help us save time. Plus, I won't feel so bad if I end up accidentally having a few.”

Juliette froze in place when Marquis asked his question, her mind quickly catching up as she furrowed her brows. Of course, there were more waffle makers. How did she forget that? "God, you’re so right," she muttered, flashing him an apologetic smile before heading towards the back of the kitchen. Why did I only bring out one? Idiot.

As she passed by the key rack, her eyes flickered over it briefly before refocusing on her task. When she reached the cabinet, her gaze zeroed in on the two extra waffle makers sitting on the shelf. Standing on her tiptoes, she stretched out her hand, fingers brushing the cool metal as she carefully nudged one of the appliances closer. With a victorious grin, she pulled it down, quietly cheering herself on before grabbing the second one.

Marquis watched her struggle to get the waffle makers down from where they were, an amused smirk on his face. He could, technically, have gone over to help her, but this was the more amusing option and so, it was the option he chose. Plus, it seemed like she was extremely proud of herself for being able to get down the waffle irons, he didn’t want to take that away from her. Maybe he’d offer to help when they were cleaning up after breakfast. But for now, he simply watched.

Returning to the kitchen with a grin on her face, Juliette caught Marquis' attention. “I’m such an idiot—we have three of these,” she said with a sheepish laugh, holding up the extra makers as she moved back to the counter and plugged them in. "Definitely won't be much longer until breakfast now."

“Hey, no. None of that. I don’t have any friends that are idiots. So, either you’re an alien that took control of my friend’s body. In which case…cool, but I’d also like you to give her the body back.”
He half-joked, but his eyes made it clear that he wasn’t about to accept her calling herself an idiot, even if she didn’t fully mean it.

“Oh, please. I’d make a pretty cool alien, I won’t lie.” Shaking her head, she thought, he must be in a better mood. When she asked him about orientation, her smile softened with curiosity. "Are you…excited? New summer, and all.” To start over, move on. But Juliette knew that wasn’t entirely true.

At the question, be paused. It was a longer pause than he expected as he went through the very many feelings he felt being back at camp this year. Right now, it seemed to only serve as a reminder of everything that happened last year and how helpless he was to save two people that were right in front of him. However, he was choosing to believe that this year would be better, almost like a chance to make up for last year’s failure.

Juliette sensed the hesitation lingering in the air, an unspoken weight between them, the only distraction being the steady sizzle of the waffle maker. They both fell into a rhythm—pour, flip, remove, repeat. Her thoughts wandered as she worked, and she couldn't help but feel a twinge of uncertainty herself. Maybe I'm not the only one who's clearly beaten up about being back.

She glanced sideways at Marquis, catching the quiet tension in his movements. Sometimes, she wondered why she even bothered coming back to camp. New hair, new her—sure, but there was still the overwhelming need to understand what really happened that week. What set Renee off so badly? You already know.

Juliette’s lips pressed into a thin line as the familiar weight of confusion settled in. She opened her mouth, ready to dismiss the thought entirely, maybe even tell him to forget about it, but before she could speak, he did.

He couldn’t say all that though. She definitely didn’t need such an emotional dump and it was a side of him that was still a little too raw for him to trust others with. “I’m…excited for a better camp than last year.” His gaze softened and his smile grew as he turned to look toward her. “And to spend the summer with some really amazing people.”

Thank god. Juliette let out a small breath of relief when Marquis finally responded, the tension in the silence melting away. She hadn’t realized how much it had been getting to her, building up anxiety for no real reason. She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear as she listened to him, nodding slightly in agreement. “Yeah…hopefully better than last year,” she echoed, her voice softer, more thoughtful. Although she was coming into this year not entirely too trusting of others, she also wasn’t exactly going to be nearly as strong or forthcoming as Renee either.

At his playful comment, a smirk tugged at the corners of her lips. “Oh? Amazing people, huh?” She quirked a brow and shot him a glance as she moved to grab the trays, ready to start placing the freshly made waffles into them. “Do I get to know who these ‘amazing’ people are, or is it some big secret?” she added, her tone light as she began organizing the trays.

He chuckled and shrugged, beginning to place waffles in the trays as Juliette got them organised. “Mmm, nah, I think I'll keep that information to myself. Can't have you stealing them from me, y'know. Maybe I'll change my mind if you're nice to me.”

“Hmm, maybe.”
Hopefully, we’ll see. Juliette gave him a small look as she helped stack the trays before stepping away to grab a handful of prepped syrup bottles, placing them beside the completed trays. “Besides, I’m always nice.” Ask Renee, she wanted to say, but a frown broke out as her thoughts inevitably returned to Renee. Yorkie.

Swallowing her words, she spun on her sneakers to face Marquis, her smile now a bit more forced. “Think we’re done and ready to head down?” Her eyes scanned the many stacks of trays, anxiety simmering deep inside. Who said being a cook was easy, knowing people were waiting on you? “This job is so daunting. I really do appreciate the help.”

Marquis grabbed two of the trays, lifting them up with relative ease as he smiled and nodded at her. “Yeah, I’d say we’re ready. And yeah, it’s no joke. You might just be seeing me around more often. Can’t have you trying to use just one waffle iron again,” he teased, a small laugh leaving him. “Come on. Let’s go feed some people. I’ll help you clean up later.”

Unsure whether they’d carry the trays down by hand or whether they had a cart, Marquis resolved to follow her lead but was watching carefully. He wanted to actually be able to help out. Plus, he’d had fun while doing so. He’d even almost forgotten about the incident earlier in the morning…almost.

"Hardy har har," Juliette rolled her eyes playfully at his comment, already unplugging the waffle makers and setting them aside to cool off. “But seriously, I’d appreciate the help. I can definitely see myself getting cabin fever, being cooped up in here for too long.” Her joke was weak, but she did her best to match his sense of humor, flashing him a small grin.

Marquis gasped in mock horror as she mentioned cabin fever. He would have even gone as far as grabbing his chest if his hands weren’t already preoccupied. “Cabin fever? I hear that can be very deadly. We can’t have you coming down with that. I guess now I have to be in here. I simply couldn’t live with myself otherwise.”

As she glanced over at him holding the trays, a thought struck her. We’ve got carts by the stairs, don’t we? "Oh—let me get us some help," she said quickly, brushing past him a little hastily. Spotting the cart, she wheeled it back into the kitchen, giving a light, playful gesture toward it.

He laughed, appreciating the little theatrics. It had been a while since he had the pleasure of seeing this side of her. A warm smile settled on his face but he got busy placing the trays on the cart before he ended up staring for too long.

Without another word, she helped him load the trays onto the cart, adding bottles of syrup beside them for good measure. Once everything was in place, she gave him a quick nod, her good mood still present. “Ready to serve breakfast?”

He nodded, a confident smile on his face as he began pushing the cart out. “Born ready.” It didn’t take long before he could hear Leon’s voice. His smile grew even brighter, the sound of Leon’s voice like a lighthouse letting him know they would soon be making their grand appearance. He smiled back at Juliette. This was shaping up to be a pretty good day after all.

Juliette matched his energy, a confident smile settling into place as they made their way down the stairs. She kept a steady hand on the cart, helping guide it down carefully before they split off to handle their respective tasks. She pointedly ignored a few glances from people she wasn’t keen on seeing this early in the morning, saving her pettiness for later in the day.

As she moved around, placing trays on the tables, Leon’s voice drifted faintly in the background. He was discussing the new arrivals and what was to come, and—

“-declared missing. Six days.”

What? Juliette froze, her body going rigid as the once-bustling dining hall fell into somewhat of an eerie silence. Slowly, her eyes flickered toward Marquis on the other side of the room, a frown settling on her face. It’s happening again.

Marquis made his way back over to Juliette after dropping the waffles and instinctively stood between Juliette and the rest of the crowd. He met her gaze with equally confused eyes yet managed a smile. There was a warmth in the smile. It was the kind of smile that said Hey, it’s okay. I got you.

After last year, he had resolved that it would be impossible for him to save everyone. That was too much pressure for him to bear on his shoulders alone. But the person right in front of him, Juliette. At the very least, he could protect her. He stood a little closer to her, almost as if acting as the shield between her and whatever bad news was out there.

He wasn’t of the opinion that she wanted or even needed a “savior”, but he simply refused to feel as powerless as he did last year. This was as much for him as it was for her.
code by valen t.

Parting with Liberty, Clarisse simply stood by herself to give herself time to think after getting a cup of coffee. Ricky and Liberty had been great companions for the morning, proving to be a great distraction. She did want to prevent herself from being too alone, too into her own thoughts— but amidst the campers and counselors, the idle chatter between them all proved enough to pull her away from herself. Some older kids were telling some new ones about what to look forward to. Clarisse thought back to when she was younger, sitting at the same seats they were, listening to Renee rattle on about the camp with Paige nodding along and providing context. She held those memories close to her heart; back when they were so much younger and everything was a lot simpler.

When had those conversations gone from the activities the counselors were preparing to talking about their fellow campers, vile rumors taking root in the minds of everyone around them?

Clarisse shifted awkwardly in her stance and, thankfully, Leon was already making his appearance. She didn't claim to know him all that well but she grew up around him— his presence becoming calming just like... well, that was if she could put what happened between him and Joey aside. Still, Leon had seemed oddly nervous. Was it because it was his first time taking on the supervisor role? But he was more than used to making announcements. Did something happen, Leon? The mere thought that there was something else caused her to tense up.

He rattled on about the schedule and everything was normal so far and that lulled her into some sense of calm. Maybe she was just overthinking things? A couple of schedule changes, a couple of new people, and new assignments— Clarisse let herself wonder about the new counselors for a moment. They weren't at the orientation the day before, they probably just arrived. She scanned the counselors who were sitting down, indeed spotting some new faces. There were two other people assigned to their cabin. I wonder if they're both in our cabin. Clarisse tilted her head, her gaze lingering on the brunette. Maybe it would be nice for that to be true.

She shifted her attention back to Leon as he went on to talk about swimming. Knowing that Joey was coming back gave Clarisse some peace of mind. No matter what others might say about Joey, her energy and eccentric nature kept her oddly grounded. She should catch up with her later. Clarisse didn't get many chances to visit Joey as much as she did before because of the... circumstances regarding the Evergreen family and she had always felt a little guilty for that.

"Lisa Xander will not be returning."

The way he had said it, the way Leon just stood by himself as the campers continued to eat, everything felt wrong. Was this just a matter of Lisa quitting? No, that wouldn't have been the phrasing. Some part of her wished that it was only her paranoia talking, that she was too wound up because of what had happened to Paige and Renee. That all of this was just a big misunderstanding. When the campers filed out, she closed in on Leon who was calling them all to gather.

And there it was. The news.

Clarisse gripped her mug tighter. Six days? It had been six days and they only tell us now? She wasn't close to Lisa at all. In fact, they kept their distance from each other as much as possible. The farming counselor had no love for the Evergreen sisters— any of them— which would naturally cause friction between the two of them. All that to say, losing another counselor so soon? This was what she had been talking about. Camp still wasn't safe and now they were paying the price for it. But... six days...?

"She went missing in Easthallow?" She couldn't help but say out loud. Clarisse hadn't kept up with the news in Easthallow, or most of everyone who wasn't in the immediate area aside from a select few. In all her years visiting Oregon both in and out of the summer, she barely heard something as big as disappearances happening in the small town of Easthallow. Now they had Renee and Paige last year, then Lisa this year? Was it just a freak coincidence? Or was there really just a mystery person, the rumored "serial killer", still around and loose and wreaking havoc?

Maybe she wasn't thankful that Joey was here after all. In fact, she hoped that a lot of them didn't return to this camp. And what about the campers? They were young and reckless, she should know she was one of them before, and this meant that they were in more danger than most of them. This was too much of a safety risk. The mere idea of losing any more people made her feel sick to her stomach. Is this really worth it, Mr. Jonathan? Is it really the right choice to open the camp again?
clarisse

INTERACTIONS: Leon, Counselors

TAGS: lostbird lostbird
code by valen t.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back