[OOC] Around the Fire - for any ooc discussion. [A Missing Flame]

My character sheet itself is basically done, though I'll probably want to change a few things around. I was just waiting for a response before I finish everything up, post the sheet, and write up a backstory and fanfic, but those shouldn't take too long.

I'm still waiting on a detail or two from you but otherwise I'm golden. No pun intended. :D

Divideby0 said:
Immensely, thank you.

I finally finished it' date=' and though I admit I haven't done more than skim through most of the character sheets, I thought it was pretty good.[/quote']
Heh, yeah, might've gone overboard on it... Thanks for the reply, though.

Just to keep the character generation topic free of unrelated discussions,

It jumped into my head the moment I read of your character there. They'd go well with Nazir too but, then, I have a tendency for high Compassion characters, which will make my sudden inversion of it for an Abyssal game later rather interesting.
Hah, I know how you feel. I have a similar problem, except with both Compassion and Conviction. So far three of my four Exalted characters are Compassion/Conviction > Valor > Temperance, and I have two more characters in mind that would likely fit best as the same.

if we're discussing this, I can honestly say that I've played characters with almost any type of virtue high, though never Valor as the highest. It really, for me, depends on the type of character I want to play. There are benefits and disadvantages to each choice.

I'm playing a high Valor Fair Folk in another game, if that counts. Or I should be, at least, if the game survives. The deathknight I plan to make will probably end up high on the Conviction/Valor side of things and very low on Compassion. An established element of his character is making hand-puppets from his victims.

The interesting thing is what happens when you don't play to the stereotypes of these virtues. For example, a character high on Compassion may need only be compassionate about things they believe matter (Infernals actually have a Charm to facilitate this), not everything. A character high in Temperance might come from a culture with odd taboos and have self restraint for the weirdest things (such as not facing West when they sit down) yet eat rather gluttonously. A character high on Conviction might stick closely once they set their mind to somethign but that doesn't mean they're exactly the planning type.

Night Surgeon, said Abyssal, is going to be high Con/Val but he's going to avoid combat much of the time and his only real goal is his amusement.

How I see it:

High Compassion

Benefits: You can have empathy toward others(when you are helping people, activating the virtue gets you a lot of dice!)

Drawback: You can't ignore suffering of others and might get yourself into trouble or get sidetracked during your mission.

High Conviction

Benefits: You are a set on getting what you want(You get more chance to regain willpower back each Day!)

Drawback: You might kill your family and sell your soul to devil to achieve what you are after.

High Temperance

Benefits: You are not easily swayed by other's words and illusions

Drawback: You might be overly cautious, cynical, or judgemental.

High Valor

Benefits: You don't get easily scared in combat, or easily intimidated.

Drawback: You have a hard time turning down a fight or a challenge.

Speaking of that, are Virtue rolls used often in second edition apart from when they're being channeled? From the little I've skimmed through the first edition rules I've seen some effects where you have to roll a virtue to resist something, but I don't remember seeing anything that requires or even suggests Virtues are rolled that way in second edition, though I've seen it done in games.

In the tabletop games that I've played in virtue rolls are somewhat common. The storyteller's will put in things that will warrant a virtue roll. Sometimes is plays off of the virtue itself - hey solar with the high compassion look at those dragon-blood immaculates kicking that puppy - or by your motivation or intimacies - I've successfully made my rolls to elude the wyld hunt but I hate dragon-bloods and I like puppies - it's all a part of dramatic storytelling. You see it in the movies all the time like when the hero goes back to rescue his friend (we all go home or no one goes home) or the sidekick agrees to the crazy plan (I am going to regret this later).

Oh, another question, this time about the "one Charm per action without using combos" rule... does that mean that you can only use that one Charm you activate as many times as you want before your next action? For example, could a character use a Dodge Excellency against each attack in a flurry without using a combo?

For some reason I was under the impression you could only activate one Charm once, but the combat example I've been reading seems to contradict that.

A character can use one charm multiple times to dodge each attack in a flurry. You can keep using that charm for dodging until your next tick.

Oh' date=' another question, this time about the "one Charm per action without using combos" rule... does that mean that you can only use that one Charm you activate as many times as you want before your next action? For example, could a character use a Dodge Excellency against each attack in a flurry without using a combo?[/quote']
The short answer is yes. The full answer is that without a combo, a character can activate only one charm each action. Simple and extra action charms may only be activated once each action, supplemental charms may be activated whenever they apply to an action you take during that action, and reflexives may be activated at any time, subject to the timing of the charm, and as many times as you are able. [Core p182-183]

I've just been waiting for a response, so I could decide what to do with Merits and Flaws... if it's a problem, though, I could just go ahead with it anyway. I don't think there was anything very important for my character to have, and... I don't think anyone else was using them, either.

We still don't have Merits and Flaws for the 2nd Edition, unless they're custom or based from 1st Ed...

I believe it was said that we can use the ones from 1st Edition, as long as we get them approved by the Storyteller.

100 XP + 9 BP is enough for anyone, and this is a large party. You can easily reach end of martial art trees, or essence 4 and celestial sorcery... I don't know what we are going up against, but unless it's a bunch of deathlords or demons of 3rd circle...I am not sure why one would need any extra points.

rolling 35 dice is fun at first, but it gets old quick.

High-level First Age games? With high enough Essence and an Excellency it would be easy enough to get more dice than that, I think.

Also, crafting an artifact with the help of some assistants could add up to a lot of dice.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, do Lunars get any Medicine-related Charms? I could have sworn I saw some a while ago, but I can't find anything like that now...

Well, yes, but I meant in our relative power level. I'm also fairly certain it's a reference to combat.

As for Lunar charms, I shall check and let you know if I find any.

Xormis said:
100 XP + 9 BP is enough for anyone, and this is a large party. You can easily reach end of martial art trees, or essence 4 and celestial sorcery... I don't know what we are going up against, but unless it's a bunch of deathlords or demons of 3rd circle...I am not sure why one would need any extra points.
rolling 35 dice is fun at first, but it gets old quick.
Because there's no such thing as enough points.

what I am trying to say is, if you spend an eon creating your characters. Though world shattering and mighty they might be. You'll never get to play...

It's fine if you keep trying to optimize from all the obscure sources you can find, it takes time. But if people can't finish their character sheets, we can't play...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back