Mission Reports

For the Dance Dance Revolution challenge I figured that Cat's 27 PP would win out over Vanessa.

Everyone, post as you want to share any details about your day that you care to.

Maybe. But she's also a woman, and perceptive.

And, Cat has mellowed out... a bit. She didn't bite of Mayhew's head when he tried to calm her down. She listened to him. That is different. But then, she doesn't have to fight him anymore. I think they've worked out that he is definitely her ally, not her enemy.

My character Cody is "telling me" that he's willing to provide an honest opinion (like he would to any lady-friend), but only if he's provided some kind of clear picture?

@ehmygirl Would you provide a Google image or something to give us at least a rough idea of what look Cat's going for?

Thanks, Ehmy! =)

They didn't hang around for Cody's opinion. Oh well. =)

I laugh at my wife sometimes when she pulls outfit after outfit from the closet when she's getting ready to leave the house. I tell her that she is beautiful in my eyes no matter what she wears, but it makes no difference. Sometimes I think that being a guy is so much easier than being a girl.

That is never helpful Sherwood. Yes, we want to hear how beautiful you think we are. The fact of that matter is, it's not fair to ask a man to judge us as we would as a woman. Men don't get what we want, and when they give an answer, it's not right because you're not women. And thank god for that cause there should be only one woman in my love life and I'm it.

Another example of the differences between men and women.

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]In Theo's mind, right now:
[media]

[/media]
Captain Hesperus

[/QUOTE]
And that Ladies and Gents is some capital 'T' Truth!!!

I don't get it.

See, I wasn't raised this way. I have never understood this argument. I don't see huge differences between men and women. Yes, we have some, but I must see the person behind the gender first. To me, character matters, not race, gender, origin, creed, sexual orientation, handicap, etc. Those are important things, yes, but let the human being come first.

A Phil Donahue show comes to mind in which a crowd mainly composed of women were arguing on just how different men and women eternally were (as guys can be towards women - it goes both ways). Boy, was this crowd all riled up about it! I kept thinking, but what about how similar we are? Doesn't that count?

At one point, Donahue puts the microphone in front of this lady, and the question gets put before her, "Imagine you're at home. What would you do if your husband asked you to go into the kitchen and get him a beer?" "Well," she replied, "I'd tell that man to shove that beer up his ---!" And the crowd went crazy in support. Basically, she's saying that he can go and get it himself.

After this, another woman is asked the same question. She replied, "Well, if he asked me for one, I'd get him one... because I know he would do the same for me." The same crowd kind of quieted after that.

I'm with her. That's love. Love never fails (at least in my experience). This is how my lady and I have operated for years. I will get her whatever she needs and wants, and not just because she has done that for me, but because that's what one should do. I love her. You want a drink? Sure! What else can I get you? How can I add to your life? It's not about me "me" - it's about "us." That compassionate approach has worked wonderfully for us for quite a long time. I'm very grateful to have found someone to share my life with who also thinks this way. Very blessed, too.

Neither gender is better than the other; they're just different in some ways, and those differences can be shared. If a person tries to tell me, "Well, you just won't get it. You're not <insert creed, origin, religion, handicap, race, gender, what-have-you here>." O.K. maybe I don't know from experience, but I am trying to understand you. Help me relate to your world. Don't shut me out just because I was born unlike you. I can't help that anymore than you can help being born a little different than me. But we're both human beings, right? Can't we share and grow stronger from it? It works!

So, when I hear guys talking about women, and women talking about guys, I just...

...I don't know. I just don't get it.

Sorry, friends. I didn't expect this to turn into a rant (for lack of better word).

Game on!

P.S. Oh! And Ehmy, don't worry about your character and Vanessa not waiting around for ol' Cody's opinion - the shopping horn cannot be resisted! *blows conch shell with the word "SALE!" on its side* DUN DUUUUUUUUN! (To the tune of "Come All Ye Faithful) "Come all ye shoppers! Come and spend your money! Come, come and shop and dress and look dynamite!" Hee hee! =)

I have never understood why it's okay for women to bash men but it's not okay for men to bash women. Yes, men and women are different, we think differently and that is okay. That's how it should be. But then, we females are in constant flux. Our hormones are never the same, they're always changing from hour to hour and from day to day. They change with the tides, and like the tides, they can't sometimes catch us unprepared. It's also what gives us the ability to have children.

But I do agree with you in that, we need to look at the person. If my Captain asked me for a beer chances are, I'd get it for him. Although he usually asks for coffee. There have been many times when he's brought me a Diet Coke simply because I didn't want to get it myself. But this is how love works, you do something for someone, not because you feel as if you have to, but because you want to. You want to make that person happy and if getting something for your beloved that s/he can get for him/herself so what, who cares? I often had a cup of coffee waiting for him when he came home from work simply because he needed it and providing that need made me feel good and it showed him that I care.

And it's the small, every day, little things that shows how much you love someone, not the grand gestures that come once in a blue moon.

As for Cathleen, she will flip if their men are all 'cowboy'd' up.

Definitely. The "little" things mean a lot. =)

Re: Men all 'cowboy'd up'. I can't take credit for that one. It was "Cody's" idea. =)

There are some differences and we can't deny then for several reasons. The trick is to understand that different does not mean bad--sadly some people think that way. Most of the following statements are general and there are always exceptions. Men for instance tend to have a "nothing" box and can sit there fishing for hours doing and thinking about next to nothing (exceptions, as always apply, there are men who can't do that and there are women who can). By the same token women tend to like to talk about their problems and men like to brood and think through them themselves and want to be left alone for a bit to think (again exceptions of both genders apply). This can cause issues when some men don't understand why women want to talk about their awful day and some women can't see why some men don't want to talk about their awful day. Sometimes our differences are why we are attracted to each other (imagine if everyone of both sexes looked exactly alike!!), but if we are not careful they can cause schisms (again because of the tendency of some --far to many IMO--to make different equate with bad).

The fact of the matter is that in order to perceive our world we need to categorize things, to place them into groups so we can navigate them, understand them, and discuss them with others. We do it by color, red, green, and blue. We do it by relationship, family, friends, co-worker's, acquaintances, and strangers. Fellow countrymen, and foreigners, And so on and so forth. The problem arises when all we see are the differences and we use those to justify the awful things we do to each other, be it racism, jingoism, ethnocentrism, or religious discrimination. The mantra becomes: if you are not part of my grouping you are the "other" and the other is bad. Virtually every instance of humans being awful to each other can be traced to this root cause( Yep, you guessed, exceptions apply again). Some times we do it with out even realizing we are. For instance we may find ourselves annoyed when someone chews with their moutn open thinking they are rude (I get this all the time, I have a major sinus issue and can't breath thru my nose, I don't do it to be rude it is a life long habit due to my condition I try to be as sublte as I can but there is is.). Or we may think loudly belching in public is rude when another culture my see it a normal or even expected. Some people at this point will say, "Well if they are in our country they should adhere to our ways." To which I replay, what if they are only visting--how can they be expected to know every cultural nicety? And the question must be asked, if we take that attitude are we reenforcing the idea that our way is the right way and different is bad? "Blend in or you are wrong?" When we tell someone from another culture, "Well we don't do that here," we are calling out a difference and in essence saying it is incorrect, or bad, even if that is not what we intend. (This is, of course, not meant to condone things from other cultures that are considered repugnant or illegal, such as wife burning or Female Genital Mutilation). When we say "This is America learn English," whether or not you think that is right or wrong, or "You don't look professional with tattoos or piercings," no matter how true these things may or may not be we are bolstering the idea that different is not acceptable. So long as we do that some people will carry that a step further to say, " All or most differences are bad". Because of this as humans we often focus on our differences rather than our similarities.

The other part is Gender and Ethnic studies 101. In our modern PC world most white males have never had to face discrimination while most minorities and women have (even if they have not realized it--and again with exceptions applying--I can't say that enough because I personally don't believe in blanket statements so if any of these sound like that--it is not my intent). In our modern world this can be subtle. At a company I worked for for 13 years they we able to identify a pattern of one hiring manger of discrimination, she turned away qualified applicants based on race on a number of occasion but documented that the other candidate were "more qualified" a later audit found that this was not the case the the only link between the applicants that had been turn ways was their minority status. She got so confident over the years of not getting caught she turn away a guy who had several year more experience and education that any other applicant and that is what got her caught. Few people are foolish enough to come out as say they will discriminate against minorities or women, some have just learned to do it and mask it as something else. Heck I just did research paper on the subtle ways women are discriminated against in our society and was shocked by these slight little things I never realized (In fact in my research several women were also shocked when these things were pointed out to them--most saw them but because they were so inured into our culture they did not understand them until they we pointed out explicitly). The point being that white males are the only group you can safely bash in our culture without some sort of outcry, it's not right, but there it is nonetheless. Now I'll preface this by saying I'm black and it annoys even me when they cast a black or Asian actor for a traditionally white role and call it colorblind casting. But cast a white guy in a traditional ethnic role and people lose their damn minds. Anyway I say vive la difference, so long as we are careful to celebrate it rather that repudiate it.

Well that was long winded of me.

Claimer [yep I mean claimer nor disclaimer]: Not all of the above applies to everyone or every situation this is my opinion and personal experience from anecdotal evidence and research, your mileage may vary all tips, tolls ,and, fees extra--this message is not endorsed by any major league sport--or for that matter by anyone but me, if this message causes any abnormal rash or itching consult your physician. This can be considered as free advice and is therefore worth exactly what you paid for it.

All, Re: Real Life: Last Friday, Kaerri's grandfather passed away and tomorrow we bury him with full military honors. That will take up more time, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else given the circumstances. I hope to be able to post tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

May he rest in peace and may his family find some small solace in the knowledge that there are those who appreciate his service. Both my grandfathers were WWII vets who passed away in the 90s--never any easy thing.

@JayTee, are you getting updates for the board? Haven't seen you post in a little bit.

Here is the definitive guide to how to play a role playing game:

simple-gaming-flowchart_zpsfa7b5ea6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back