Keychain of Creation

Oh, that.

Well, I suppose that is true... on the other hand, it is a little annoying, in a small way, when you go through an archive and, after the last page, end up seeing the same comic twice; or, conversely, click "back" on the main page (if, for example, you missed an update), and see the same comic again in that instance. Which is what would logically happen if you placed the most recent comic on both the main page and its own archive page.

It's only an inconvenience, I know, but it does increase as one's loading speed decreases. Additionally, it just kinda seems - to me, at least -  a bit sloppy, design-wise, and I would personally think it more annoying than the alternative.

Have a look around at some other online comics about the place; you'll find that most of the best have decided the same.

Jukashi said:
Have a look around at some other online comics about the place; you'll find that most of the best have decided the same.
A bad practice still sucks, no matter how many people do it.

Is Marena a Beastman(women), or does she just have a really big Tell? I thought the former, but the latest bonus comic seems to imply the latter.

It's a fairly common thing on most web comics to put the current comic as the main page and archive it when the next one comes out.  Doing otherwise is a break in time honored 'net traditions and you don't want to upset the internet gods, do you?

Is Marena a Beastman(women)' date=' or does she just have a really big Tell? I thought the former, but the latest bonus comic seems to imply the latter.[/quote']
She's a lunar and she might have had a tail for a tell. ^_^

That and the oldman might just have had enough of a MDV to bypass the tell's defenses.

wordman said:
A really simple fix is to put the current comic in the /archives directory right away, and then replace the contents of index.html with the following:

Code:
<html><head><meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" content="0; url=http://keychain.patternspider.net/archives/koc000X.png"></head></html>

This will automatically (and more or less transparently) redirect all comers to keychain.patternspider.net to the current comic's permanent location, where it can be easily linked to from the get-go.

The index.html will only need a minor edit to point it to the newest comic with each update.

wordman said:
But I don't consider it a bad practise, see?

Flagg said:
This will automatically (and more or less transparently) redirect all comers to keychain.patternspider.net to the current comic's permanent location, where it can be easily linked to from the get-go.
Wouldn't that mean anyone accessing the main page would get sent straight into the archives? If you did that no-one would ever see the newsbox, and there might sometimes be important messages there.

It could happen!

Also, wouldn't it mean that if someone bookmarked the main page - so that they could come back for each new update - that their bookmark would now be directing them to an archives page, requiring them to click forward to the latest comic every time they visited the site? I've seen some comics do this and it's very annoying.

Is Marena a Beastman(women)' date=' or does she just have a really big Tell? I thought the former, but the latest bonus comic seems to imply the latter.[/quote']
She is currently in her standard human form. The tail, ears and peculiar hair colouration are all part of her (very large) Tell.

Jukashi said:
Also, wouldn't it mean that if someone bookmarked the main page - so that they could come back for each new update - that their bookmark would now be directing them to an archives page, requiring them to click forward to the latest comic every time they visited the site? I've seen some comics do this and it's very annoying.
True. A better way to accomplish the same thing would be to make index.html a symlink to the current comic, but I don't think that's something you'll be able to do via ftp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Jukashi said:
But I don't consider it a bad practise, see?
Yes, but your readers aren't interested in your opinion, only their own petty needs. Welcome to publishing.

wordman said:
Yes, but your readers aren't interested in your opinion, only their own petty needs. Welcome to publishing.
Who was that guy who wrote that "users are an inferior form of existence"?  :lol:

wordman said:
Allow me to rephrase. I think this method will better serve the needs of my readers, at least when compared against the alternatives. And it's my opinion that matters, because it's my job to decide how best to facilitate their entertainment.

And if you don't like it... go crack some books and set up your own game. :P

Jukashi said:
wordman said:
Allow me to rephrase. I think this method will better serve the needs of my readers, at least when compared against the alternatives. And it's my opinion that matters, because it's my job to decide how best to facilitate their entertainment.

And if you don't like it... go crack some books and set up your own game. :P
You'll fall like Rome underneath the waves of fans :P

You'll fall like Rome underneath the waves of fans :P
After hundreds of years of great accomplishments, crumbling slowly under the weight of corruption and decadence towards the end until attacks by various so-called barbarians finally do me in, then leaving a legacy of inspiration to various reknowned artists?

Brillance as always. Loved the "would you believe...." moment, reminded me of Get Smart. Keep it up!

And another. Perhaps I don't need to make note of each update anymore?

Anyway, this one I'm not too happy with, as I remark in the news section. The "joke" is a bit hard to get, but I couldn't really think of any better way to do it. Oh well. The next one will be better.

Awww... Secret is so adorably cute xD

Admitedly, her daiklave kind of looks like a crow-bar from the angle it was at...

Dai-crow-bar?  :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back