• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

In the Dojo (O.O.C. Chat - Session Zero)

Purr Purr Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Silanon Silanon

After consulting with Purr, I've moved all posts past a certain post into a new thread (this one you're reading now!) to mark the start of the new game. It doesn't look like the system knows to give you alerts for it (aside from tags) so you'll need to "watch" it. ^;3^

Last edited:
Awesome sauce. Do we have a character thread to put our sheets in yet?
No. Sil's got Real Life. I want all of you guys on the same page. =)

What's your take on my earlier question, you guys? =)

I like a combination of Big Trouble and Other Strangeness, giving homage to both the RPG and the movie that we are drawing inspiration from. My two cents worth.

Heya, the name works for me! I've got three more busy days ahead of me - then I'll be on vacation and hopefully able to get some creativity done here.

Also watching the thread now - thanks for the change and note, Kaerri Kaerri !

I like a combination of Big Trouble and Other Strangeness, giving homage to both the RPG and the movie that we are drawing inspiration from. My two cents worth.
I do too. Sounds cool. I'm just afraid that homage will draw people I don't know (or trust).

Thanks for the votes, you guys/gals! =)

Yer welcome!
Yeah. One day, RP Nation might have the ability to hide games like mine from the general public. Then we could name it whatever we want. =)

But in the meantime, I was thinking of changing the name of this thread to "In the Dojo" or something similar. =)

But in the meantime, I was thinking of changing the name of this thread to "In the Dojo" or something similar. =)
Slow Motion Yes GIF by MOODMAN

Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

Two things today!

1. Shop Talk idea. Skill Accumulation!

What if... at every level, a PC/NPC receives a Skill slot? Not an instantly-earned grab-of-knowledge or proficiency, but just the slot?

All they have to do then is go somewhere and learn the Skill they want, like a gym, library, or maybe a friend or mentor (even a fellow PC)? But this? This seems like something that a few of us will have to exit our comfort zones with, but... like in Real Life, with the work comes the reward.

All the PC has to do is mention who or where they learned the Skill from - the idea is interaction. Don't worry about training times or costs or anything like that. Just... who taught you? How did you come to know? These little things can create stories all on their own and with stories and interaction come bonds of friendship! That's the real reason I like this idea. =)

2. A little story! In an effort to prepare you for a large amount of incoming silliness help you get to know Papa-san and Mama-san Hirawi (The Savior), here is a little bed-time story they would tell you when your characters were just learning the martial arts. Every Skill your characters have learned, you have learned from them. You may have learned of Skills from other sources, but Mama-san and Papa-san knew just how to teach you every Skill, every proficiency, and every Martial Art technique you know! The one thing no one seems to know is... how old are they? Well, with life comes stories. Here is one! =)

I think this is a good time to share this with you. Enjoy!

As members of the Great Guardians of Chinatown, Mom and Pop Hirawa know their demons well! There was one incredibly-powerful demon - one whose chi could not be touched, whose body could not be harmed, and whose resolve had but one all-encompassing weakness - the ever-curious demon could not stand puns! Papa and Mama Hirawa are filled with this form of humor. When either of them tells a joke, the two of them start laughing like a little kids. With their knowledge and love of humor, they fought a demon so greedy, he was intent on robbing all of Chinatown to the point that all who lived there would have to live like beggars and starve!

It went like this:

The eight-armed scaly demon rushed in to viciously attack pop but Pop raised his finger and asked a question, "Hey Demon! Do you know this one?"

Demons are sometimes too curious for their own good. He replied, "Before I pulp your face into sauce, old man, what are you talking about?"

"You say you know all martial arts techniques, yes?"

"Yes! I am the greatest demon ever! I know all techniques! You cannot beat me! So what if I know them all?"

"A family visited a famous Taekwondo kicker! They went inside his house, but could never find him! You have any idea why?"

"Huh? Why?"

"Because he roundhouse! Get it? He always around the house!"

The demon winced and the pain surprised him. "Urgh! Was that pain I just felt? That hurt! I'll kill you!"

"Wait!"

"What now?"

Papa-san raised his finger and motioned with his hand. "A injured man could not move his arm, but still he kept trying to reach into his pocket! Why?"

"Eh? Why? Tell me!"

"Because he couldn't find the key to his joint lock!" The married couple paused and laughed heartily. "Eh heh heh heeh!"

But the demon was not laughing. "Aiiie! The paaaain! You know my secret!"

Papa Hirawa opened his arms. "Do you vow to leave San Francisco and never return?"

"N-- no! I-- refuse! The treasures of Chinatown must be mine!" He moved to attack again!

"Oh, demon?" Mama called.

"What?! You too?!" the demon cringed.

"What is the one hand technique you can never rely on?"

"No! No please! D-- don't tell me!"

"The Palm Strike! Because it's always 'on strike!' Get it?" Mama-san acted like she were walking around with a sign. She and Papa-san laughed like little children as the demon wailed.

"That's it! You win! I am leaving Chinatown! You two should feel bad about yourselves! Demons have feelings too!"

"Only leaving Chinatown? The deal is for all of San Francisco! But wait! There is more!"

"Nooooo!" The demon begins to run as fast as he can but Mama and Papa chase after him.

"Hey demon! Why couldn't the Chinese lord of the land catch his breath?"

Gasping, the fleeing demon cried, "Whyyy?!"

"Because he was Cho King! Get it?" Mama held her hands to her throat. "'Choking?!'"

"Aaaaah!"
The demon tried to cover his ears, but still his uncontrollable demonic curiosities forced him to listen.

"Demon! You are not running fast enough! We do not believe you! Oh, honey?"

"Yes, dear?"

"How poor was the hungry boxer?"

"I do not know! How poor was he?"

"He could not even afford..." Papa-san held up his fist, "...a knuckle sandwich!!"

"AAAAAH!! No more! I will never return to San Francisco! I sweaaar!!" And that was the last time San Franciscans ever saw the greedy demon!

"Another victory for the Great Guardians of Chinatown!" Mama and Papa cheered and hugged each other with immense joy! Together, they walked hand-in-hand happy to have made beautiful San Francisco a safer place for all. =)
Thanks, Kaerri and Psychie for the Great Scene and Well-written! That feels good! =)

Heya, the name works for me! I've got three more busy days ahead of me - then I'll be on vacation and hopefully able to get some creativity done here.
I hope you have a terrific vacation, Sil! Full of rest and fun! =)

Gang? Anyone have any ideas for a cool name for Sil's birb?

Well, it doesn’t have to be anything “bird” specific, so it could be anything. You could go for something exotic, or stick to the more mundane. Where are you saying you are from? If there are any language changes there, that can be a bit of inspiration for you.

What kind of person are you going for, Sil? Haoyu has astronomy as a skill because his name refers to the stars in Chinese. Moyo means heart, if I recall correctly.

A question for you, Purr Purr . You have said that we are not starting with chi powers and stuff like that, but are we aware of such things existing in the game world? I don’t want to have as a goal to be able to develop chi powers if we have no idea that they exist.

Thanks for the input, folks! Finally got around to do a bit of thinking. Tried to figure out whom I'm playing, still in the works - but here's a glimpse at a rough draft.

Alya.

To ascend, in Hebrew.
Sky or heaven, in Arabic.

That's how you know her. A fitting name, one might say, for someone constantly drawn towards the horizon. A restless soul, that one. Never quite content with how things are. And one who'd rather take flight than to challenge mankind's taint for too long. Her words, those - 'mankind's taint'. Spoken in one of her darker moods. She's one to struggle with her unnatural nature. With the clash between bird and human mind. Sometimes, the only thing those two seem to agree on is that problems are best observed from a save distance. Not because she doesn't care. But because she cares too much about too many things, and there's little hope to ever figure them out all at once.

Hers is a mind that's at its best when it's focused on a single task. Like the predator she is, with only her prey in mind. On the hunt, in the dojo, and whenever she feels like she could make a difference. A dangerous mood, that one. Hard to get her off-course, then, no matter whether she's on the path to destruction or salvation. Hard, yet not a thankless hassle. Hers is a fierce loyalty, one that each family member has quite certainly earned over the years. There are few she trusts - those in the family, quite frankly - but for those, she'd fly through fire without a second thought. Better don't make her, though. A grounded Alya might be the most insufferable thing in this world, and wing injuries come easily...

What's more to know about her? A single framed picture hangs right next to her hammock: A mighty river, connecting two oceans, and at its shores a city on two continents. Istanbul at night. The place that, once upon a time, spewed out a bird that became aware of mankind's flaws. Other than that - barely anything noteworthy. Hers is a life that only reluctantly adopts to mankind's beneficial inventions. The bare minimum of furniture leaves enough room for a battered punchbag, the large window is never closed, and there's always a half-empty can of dried meat around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back