• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

In the Dojo (O.O.C. Chat - Session Zero)

Hee hee! I bet that'll bring a smile to his face!
Certainly did!
That is a good one, giving some nice bonuses. But until we hear what's on his mind, Sil might decide to go with something completely different!
Thus far, I've gone with the approach of 'let's see what we roll and choose then'. Now that we have that, I gotta take a closer look. Guerrilla caught my eyes before, though, so maybe that's interesting.

Anyhow, please use the new dice for this game, Purr Purr - those look cool!

Hey folks, short question: What exactly are brute and beastly strength doing? I can't wrap my head around what their exact purpose is...

Also, I might want to pick up some sword fighting instead if marksmanship. Still pondering, though. Feels like her focus might go more into Choy-Li-Fut. Thanks for sharing that one, by the way!

On another note, Ms. Kaerri Kaerri I am wondering what background you are interested in for your fox. Is there one that I have rolled that you would like? I am, of course, hoping for one of those Academic Underground ones.
I'm actually not sure. I know some of the skills I want, but Purr and I have discovered that Rogue skills just aren't available (except as Secondary) to most of the backgrounds, which is... awkward, for a ninja. The two which do have Rogue skills listed under Primary Skills are Raised by Bandits (81-85%) and Villagers and Townies (41-65%). (Also Raised on the Frontier, but that only gives you 1 so it isn't feasible). Later today I intend to make a list of skills Kiseko needs, those she ought to have, and those she just wants, and see which background will do best to give her those. At the moment it's looking like the Bandits, unless I just accept that her Rogue skills will be Secondary (counterintuitive, but the options are limited).

Hey folks, short question: What exactly are brute and beastly strength doing? I can't wrap my head around what their exact purpose is...
Starting from basics, normal Physical Strength (P.S.) indicates how much the character can lift and carry, as well as whether they receive a bonus to hand-to-hand combat damage. A character can carry 10 times their P.S. (in pounds) and lift up to 30 times their P.S. Hand-to-hand combat damage as per the chart on page 12.

From what I can tell (bearing in mind I just started reading the book yesterday), Brute Strength appears to be just a special name to indicate a particular score of Physical Strength. In the attributes section: "Any character with a P.S. of 17 or greater is considered to have Brute Strength and can carry 20 times their P.S., as well as lift 50 times their P.S. Their maximum P.S. is 30." (30 is the normal, human-level maximum for any Attribute in a Palladium system.) Mind you, it also says (on the very next page, page 13), "A physical strength of 40 is the absolute P.S. limit for normal humans and humanoids, including aliens, mutants, and mutant animals."

Beastly Strength and Crushing Strength (which you didn't ask about, but is part of the answer anyway) are Mutant Animal Powers that may be selected by some animal types. Sherwood's elephant Moyo, for example, has both available (though not automatic) on his Mutant Animal Powers list. These are both a form of "Extra Physical Strength," as explained earlier in that chapter (starting on page 69 but carrying over to page 70).
- Brute Strength, as mentioned earlier (but again described in this section), is still within human range. If, for example, Sherwood's Moyo chose to put the 21 he rolled into P.S., the +10 bonus for being an elephant would still limit him to 30. Unless I'm misreading the Attribute section and the limit at this point is 40, in which case Moyo would have a P.S. of 31.
- Beastly Strength appears to be the next step up. "Available only to characters with Beastly P.S.!" (Which I take to mean, your character has this on their list of Mutant Animal Power options.) "Characters with Beastly Strength is roughly the same as Extraordinary P.S. and can carry 100 times their P.S. and lift 200 times their P.S. Their maximum P.S. is 50." So, it both changes the math that tells you what your character can do with their strength, and it increases the maximum. So, for example, if Sherwood's Moyo chose to put the 21 he rolled into P.S., the +10 bonus for being an elephant would give him a P.S. of 31 because his new limit would be 50 instead of 30 (or 40, I'm still confused on that).
- Crushing Strength is the next step up from Beastly. "Available only to characters with Crushing P.S.! A character whose strength is Crushing is the same as Supernatural, and can carry 300 times their P.S. and lift 500 times their P.S." There's also a table because characters with Crushing/Supernatural P.S. use a different chart for unarmed damage. It does not mention increasing the maximum P.S., either here on page 70 or in character creation on page 13, though the damage chart goes up to "P.S. 51-70."

Edit: Note that the damage chart on page 70 gives the bonuses for P.S. starting at "15 or less," so it seems Beastly and Crushing don't necessarily indicate a minimum P.S. However, they do improve what your character can do with the score they have, even at lower numbers.

The Attributes sections advises the reader to "see the super abilities Extraordinary P.S., Superhuman Strength, and Supernatural Strength for abilities that transcend the boundaries of ordinary humans," but as they either forgot to put those in the book or put them somewhere I have not yet deciphered their logic to find, I can't say more about them. It does say in the next line, "Superhuman characters have no limits on their P.S. and can do amazing amounts of damage with their bare hands, even damaging metal and stone structures (see below)." (Note: it is not below. Possibly they're referring to the chart on page 70, under Crushing Strength, though it's my opinion this is a copy/paste from another book and they just forgot to bring along the "below."

Hopefully that answers more questions than it raises? Purr will probably have a better answer when he gets up.

Last edited:
Thanks, Kaerri Kaerri - that helps! Found some of the text you found on my search, but got confused along the way. And missed pieces, in true Palladium fashion. But it makes sense that they increase the maximum value - I'll be far enough away of those that I didn't pay them any attention and thus wondered what the heck the point was...

By the way, I love the fact that they included mutant humans organizing in gaming groups...

Beastly Strength almost seems to be a waste, since it does not add to your PS like Extraordinary PP or Extraordinary PE does. It just adds the amount you can carry without changing your base number. If I didn't have a high PS above 30, I wouldn't take it at all.

Silanon Silanon
Physical Prowess Attribute (15 +1d4): 3.
All other Attributes: 09, 15, 19, 21, 21, 22, 27 (Hot dang! Sil! Look at this! Nice choice in choosing the Turtle dice!)

Here are the rolls!
6655 22
624665 27
4665 21
5545 19
2141 09
51655 21
2555 15

Hit Point roll for 1st level: 2
Education results (1d100 x 4): 52 65 76 91

Kaerri knows this, but I think it's worth sharing here: Kiseko now definitely has access to the Villagers & Townies (which while "Raised by Bandits" is a little more focused on Rogue skills, Villagers & Townies provides an Apprenticeship! That might come in useful sometime!)

Certainly did!
I'm glad! =)

Anyhow, please use the new dice for this game, Purr Purr - those look cool!
Boy, did you call that one on the money!

Short answer? Kaerri has it. The different types of strength dictate how much a character can lift/carry (or manipulate if you prefer the term).

From the Palladium forums (some of whom are Palladium's own writers ):

"ATB Brute Strength"
1) If I have a Mole with PS 7 and use BIO-E to get Brute Strength, what does that do? Just increase carry/lift? Increase PS to 17?

Accepted answer: All of the strength powers in ATB2 increase one's weight capacity (and base unarmed damage in the case of Crushing strength), but don't change one's actual P.S. score. Brute strength merely happens to be possessed automatically by anyone with a P.S. of 17 or greater.

2) If I have a Mole with PS 20 and use BIO-E to get Beastly Strength, do I have to pay full BIO-E cost or just the difference from Brute to Beastly since the high strength automatically give Brute Strenght?

Accepted answer: Unfortunately not. Having a power by default (whether it be strength level, natural weapons, leaping, etc.) doesn't give you a discount on upgrades."

Also, I might want to pick up some sword fighting instead if marksmanship. Still pondering, though. Feels like her focus might go more into Choy-Li-Fut. Thanks for sharing that one, by the way!
Choy-Li-Fut practitioners come with W.P.s Sword and Paired weapon. See my changes and notes just above the Choy-Li-Fut description? =) Now if you want to increase it with say, Fencing (in Physical), that's your option too. =)

Hopefully that answers more questions than it raises? Purr will probably have a better answer when he gets up.
I'm up! I swearz! =)

Looking good! Anyone in need of academics? Think I'll be perfectly happy with my guerilla warfare, so it's up for grabs! Or did someone else still need guerilla? Then I'd take a look what you folks have available!

Also: Feel free to grab villagers and townies if that's your preferred choice - there's no point in having spare ones!

Looking good! Anyone in need of academics? Think I'll be perfectly happy with my guerilla warfare, so it's up for grabs! Or did someone else still need guerilla? Then I'd take a look what you folks have available!
I would like the Academics one, and I'll gladly part with my Elite Militia one for Psychie. Are there any numbers that I have that someone else wants?

I would like the Academics one,
It's all yours, then!

First draft on how to spend my Bio-E:
70 base
10 guerrilla
10 reptile brain: predator
10 diet: carnivore

100 total to spend

10 full hands on wings
10 speech: full
5 looks: partial
10 3d6 talons on feet
5 2d6 talons on feet
15 3d6 talons on hands
10 3d6 beak
15 soaring flight
20 raptor flight
5 advanced vision
10 internal compass
5 extra pp (or is that one restricted? That's the one you wanted to keep low)
10 size 5

125 total
100 total

Any suggestions? Things that I should consider? Tried to have a mixture of natural weapons, flight abilities, size and non-combat abilities - kinda tough to get it all in there, though, and the other flaws really don't match well with the character I have in mind. Predator is in - sorry in advance if it ever screws us over, folks (it will), but it's too fitting for the character to not take it.

I'm curious whether Basic Flight needs to be taken before the other kinds of Flight? It doesn't seem to specifically say it's required, but it does say that in the base bird mutant animal, you can't fly unless you take Glide or Flight -- and it does just say "Flight" without specifying type, in that paragraph. So I'm not sure whether you have to take Basic, or can take any Flight, in order to fly.

Other than that, looks like a good mix to me!

Good question - the way I read it, soaring flight is a kind of flight, and it also works like basic flight, just slightly better. Figured that'd do the trick, but... who knows. Well, Purr Purr does, or he'll figure it out - happy to do adjustments! Thanks for pointing it out. Kaerri Kaerri - better safe than grounded by accident.

That's going to be one heck of a speedy tiger.

Can I also get a 4d4 roll for Speed, and 8d6 for SDC?

EDIT and 1d4 for PS

Last edited:
Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon
Any suggestions? Things that I should consider?
That Size 5... I forget where I learned it from, but I thought human sizes were from Size Levels 5-9. I think I read wrong or was perhaps looking in After the Bomb 1st Edition or TMNT & Other Strangeness. Either way, that seems off to me. I think it's closer to (and this is in general) Size Levels 7-12.

Looking up your falcon (battle birb!) I see that Size Level 5 is at maximum a 40 pound/18 kg creature). Size Level 5 Medium means "36 + 2D6 inches." You are welcome to choose that; just understand that there are going to be a ton of human tools your character is simply too small to operate. Like driving a car, using any standard-sized two-handed weapon, wearing typical human clothes, and so forth. Please be aware of that because there will be goodies your fellows can (probably) use that you'll (probably?) be missing out on (and I don't like PCs missing out on loot for any reason!). =)

Can I get some more rolls from you? 4d4 for Speed, and 2d6+15, from Extraordinary Speed. Thank you!
My pleasure! Running rolled 8, Extraordinary Speed is a total of 23. With 31 points in Speed even before you place an Attribute in there means your character gets that sweet, sweet Initiative bonus of +4 (the Max). =)

EDIT and 7d6 for SDC
Is this for Wrestling, Gymnastics, and Running perhaps? Those would work nice with Tiger Claw Kung Fu (which doesn't have a grappling game on its own). 22 S.D.C. total!

EDIT: Changed my Skill guesses in that first sentence. =)

Forgot to say, thank you to Sherwood for the Elite Militia background.
The way you asked him was sooo cute, Psychie! I laughed out loud big-time! It's still funny! =)

Can I also get a 4d4 roll for Speed, and 8d6 for SDC?

EDIT and 1d4 for PS
What Skills are you taking for Moyo? Running obviously, but the others?
11 Speed, 26 S.D.C., and 3 for P.S..

Also, I'm still making the character sheets I'd like everyone to use (maybe I'll get lucky get them finished tomorrow?). =)

Last edited:
I'm almost done with the write-up in my Personal Workshop. I can share him with you now if you'd like.

• Name: Moyo
    Race: Elephant
    Nature: Penitent
    The Penitent exists to atone for the grave sin she commits simply by being who she is. Penitents have either low self-esteem or traumatic past experiences, and feel compelled to “make up” for inflicting themselves upon the world. Penitent Archetypes are not always religious in outlook; some truly want to scourge the world of the grief they bring to it. Repentant sinners, persons with low self-esteem, and remorseful criminals are examples of the Penitent Archetype. Penitent Kindred include those who scourge themselves of the Beast like medieval monks, vampires who stand up for the rights of mortals, and those who subsist entirely on the vitae of animals.
    — Regain a point of Willpower whenever you feel that you have achieved absolution for a given grievance. This redemption should be of the same magnitude as the transgression — the greater the crime, the greater the penance. The Storyteller is the ultimate arbiter of what constitutes a reasonable act of reparation.
    Demeanor: Guru
    Your enlightenment draws others to you. You may be a mentor of a particular Path of Enlightenment, a priest with the Church, or merely an idealist. Whatever the case, your presence motivates and moves others to engage in spiritual or ideological pursuits. Your peers view you as calm, centered, and “with it,” even when you are preaching violence as a means to an end. Cult leaders, Zen masters, and Pack Priests are examples of Gurus.
    — Regain a point of Willpower whenever someone seeks out your help in spiritual matters and your guidance moves that individual to an enlightened action that he normally would not have taken. Also, regain a point of Willpower whenever you achieve an epiphany that relates to your personal philosophy.
    Educational Background: Academic Underground

Iq: 20 - +6% to all Skills
    Me: 20 - +3 to Save vs Psionic Attack
    Ma: 15
    Ps: 36 - +21 to all HtH SDC damage
    Pp: 21 - +3 to Strike, Parry and Dodge
    Pe: 15
    Pb: 9
    Spd: 22

Hit Points: 16
    SDC: 91
    Level: 1
    Experience: 0

Attacks Per Melee: 5
    Strike: +3
    Parry: +5
    Dodge: +7 to Automatic Dodge
    Roll With Punch: +7
    Initiative: +1
    Perception:
    Critical Strike on a Natural 20
    Critical Strike from Behind

Last edited:
I'm almost done with the write-up in my Personal Workshop. I can share him with you now if you'd like.
Sure! Sherwood Sherwood

Penitent and Guru ought to work great together!
If you're playing an Academic, and if Elephant offers it, I don't mind Academics (or just plain really brainy characters) getting Extra I.Q..
Re: Computers. I have to say it - remember we're dealing with Nintendo NES and even Playstations haven't been invented it. There, I said it. =)

Questions
1. Ah! You went Mechanic instead of Artisan, I see! Why the change? =)
2. How are you getting +3 on W.P. Shotgun?
3. Did you convert the 15 Chi to 3 points of Mental Endurance?

That Size 5... I forget where I learned it from, but I thought human sizes were from Size Levels 5-9. I think I read wrong or was perhaps looking in After the Bomb 1st Edition or TMNT & Other Strangeness. Either way, that seems off to me. I think it's closer to (and this is in general) Size Levels 7-12.

Looking up your falcon (battle birb!) I see that Size Level 5 is at maximum a 40 pound/18 kg creature). Size Level 5 Medium means "36 + 2D6 inches." You are welcome to choose that; just understand that there are going to be a ton of human tools your character is simply too small to operate. Like driving a car, using any standard-sized two-handed weapon, wearing typical human clothes, and so forth. Please be aware of that because there will be goodies your fellows can (probably) use that you'll (probably?) be missing out on (and I don't like PCs missing out on loot for any reason!). =)
I'll see if I can free up a few XP somewhere. Probably means losing out on something she ought to have, but hey - can't help it, sometimes. Think I'd be fine without the things you listed, but there'll be more at some point - don't want to make things difficult. Before I get to that - thoughts on the flight question Kaerri Kaerri raised?

Sure! Sherwood Sherwood

Penitent and Guru ought to work great together!
If you're playing an Academic, and if Elephant offers it, I don't mind Academics (or just plain really brainy characters) getting Extra I.Q..
Re: Computers. I have to say it - remember we're dealing with Nintendo NES and even Playstations haven't been invented it. There, I said it. =)

Questions
1. Ah! You went Mechanic instead of Artisan, I see! Why the change? =)
2. How are you getting +3 on W.P. Shotgun?
3. Did you convert the 15 Chi to 3 points of Mental Endurance?
Hmmm. Computers. I had forgotten the date. I’ll take a look at the skills.

1. I thought that the mechanic might be better for the team, being able to help out fixing things.
2. It’s in the modern weapon bonuses in the After the Bomb book. All the modern weapons have those bonuses.
3. Yes, thank you

Hmmm. Computers. I had forgotten the date. I’ll take a look at the skills.

1. I thought that the mechanic might be better for the team, being able to help out fixing things.
2. It’s in the modern weapon bonuses in the After the Bomb book. All the modern weapons have those bonuses.
3. Yes, thank you
Re: Computers. I mean, home PCs are still in their infancy and this *is* a TMNT game (if they have robots, they'll have computers). I honestly haven't worked out to what level the computer/tech is - I just don't want you having any illusions or wasting any Skills! =)

EDIT: On second thought, I'd keep them! While computers didn't play a big part in Big Trouble in Little China, the same cannot be said of TMNT! Baxter Stockman and his company is a perfect example. Yeah. Computers will play a larger role, but there will be no Internet and the like. I recommend at least Computer Operation. Beyond that, well, how much of a computer nerd is Moyo? Heh!

1. Oh, and how! =)
2. Ah! As I suspected, you guys and gals will know more about some parts of this new game than I will. =)
3. Good! 6 Willpower Points is a really nice start (especially when the average is closer to 3-4). =)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back