• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy From Once There Was. [Accepting]

It depends, I have certain ideas and themes I want to keep regarding locations, but there is a lot of room for players to 'discover' new creatures or hidden places, even artifacts, if things get that far in.

That sounds fine with me, I won't be bypassing whatever theme you'll set up anyway. :D As for hints of ideas, I'll be more wary when handling them.

Aye I had more time than I expected and finished my character! Well, I still need to write the backstory haha but im waiting for my muse to think of something more solid than the random pieces I have floating around in my head lmao

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great! Don't worry about the time, I am just happy to see good and inspired characters, so take as much as you need. :) Just based on what's on the sheet already, I can tell you it's already accepted. You can finish it as you please.

Just a note though, since he is a Maegus, he wouldn't be trained as extensively in melee combat as a Knight. Of course, nothing is stopping him from using the knives, but expect him to be more brittle than the typical knight. Not that I'm picking on you. I simply have to establish these things and make it clear because it allows for weaknesses and thus reliance on each other, which in turn gives way for more character development and relationship building.

Fun for everyone!~

RyuShura said:
That's great! Don't worry about the time, I am just happy to see good and inspired characters, so take as much as you need. :) Just based on what's on the sheet already, I can tell you it's already accepted. You can finish it as you please.
Just a note though, since he is a Maegus, he wouldn't be trained as extensively in melee combat as a Knight. Of course, nothing is stopping him from using the knives, but expect him to be more brittle than the typical knight. Not that I'm picking on you. I simply have to establish these things and make it clear because it allows for weaknesses and thus reliance on each other, which in turn gives way for more character development and relationship building.

Fun for everyone!~
Awesome! I'm excited to join the crew :)

Ah gotcha! Nah no worries at all, I completely understand. Although are you talking about the daggers instead of the knives? The daggers would be used for close combat while the throwing knives would be used as ranged attacks

Yeah, that's what I meant. Ahh! D:

And don't worry, I like your concept of semi-martial spell caster. Tossing runic knives as an extension of his unique method of spell casting is a very cool idea! :)

RyuShura said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. Ahh! D:
And don't worry, I like your concept of semi-martial spell caster. Tossing runic knives as an extension of his unique method of spell casting is a very cool idea! :)
Haha sounds good, I just edited my character.

Ahh thank you! That means a lot :)

@RyuShura Oh man, runic knives are something i've been contemplating for a couple days now! Crag would have simple spells like ignite on the knives while his research notebook would have runes scribed in next to the varying gas clouds he's fiddled with. Like a simple flammable mist coupled with ignite knives would be pretty effective in terms of setup time. Seeing as @Semblance is rocking those, time to think of some other unique method :^)

Deccimo said:
@RyuShura Oh man, runic knives are something i've been contemplating for a couple days now! Crag would have simple spells like ignite on the knives while his research notebook would have runes scribed in next to the varying gas clouds he's fiddled with. Like a simple flammable mist coupled with ignite knives would be pretty effective in terms of setup time. Seeing as @Semblance is rocking those, time to think of some other unique method :^)
Great minds think alike! But please, feel free to go ahead and use that idea anyway. I wouldn't want the fact that I thought of the same thing to hinder you, especially if you had been contemplating it for a couple days now

Haha, I just had the impression Crag would like that sorta thing. =P

@Deccimo

Updated abilities for is accepted! Tattoos are a common practice among the Circle, but poison is not! The more I read him over, the more I imagine him working under the darker wards research in Ciro. Perhaps Crag is working to concoct a cure for the plethora of diseases that plague the inhabitants of this dying world, more being discovered each day? Or could it be he is working to improve his own deadly art? The mystery! I like it! :)

EDIT: Just as a note to all those with runic tattoos, while there is a benefit, using such a method has also a backfire. While the accessibility of them allows for quicker use of spells, if they are damaged or tampered with, the runes could potentially go unstable and release the channeled Aether direct unto the user. Hence why they are more popular among Maegus, long-ranged casters, than any other chapter. Not to say one couldn't use them as a melee fighter, but caution is highly advised. One mistake might cause a RIP.

@RyuShura

I was thinkin of somethin', along the lines of augmenting Francine's shield so it can somewhat mitigate magic as well. Is there such a method?

Hey, @RyuShura, small question.

When we use aether in spells such as Maegus, is the manifestation rigid for any conjuration? Or do spell casts happen in conjunction with the manifestation? For example, someone with Ignis manifests an iridescent corona of flames or something whenever they use their aether. If they cast a fireball, is the fireball iridescent or can they change the color/other physical properties of it?

@simj22

Yeah, Knights can employ more defensive based Arcana. Sources don't need runes to cast their Aether. The reason for runes is to channel the Aether into more large and powerful 'spells'. Since knights only have to focus in a small area, they can invoke Arcana quickly, while not nearly as powerful because the lack of runes, it is compensated by their martial prowess that allows knights to position around rapidly in combat.

Or you can just simply have it be etched by runes, giving it extra strength.

@Fenn

Aether is the essence used to perform Arcana, as such, the Arcana is what determines the quality and effect the Aether manifests as. But the natural appearance is still retained despite quality. So yeah, if a user's raw Aether are iridescent flames, this quality would indeed translate when manipulating the essence into a spell.

But you cannot change the look, nor effect of the spell. And also, someone who possesses flame-like Aether cannot perform Arcana from other schools because the conflicting nature of their Aether.

Typically most users don't deviate much from each other, Ignis users bearing red flames or Ventus Maegus producing wispy-colored air, but I'm allowing exceptions to the player characters to have unique-looking Aether. Because where's the fun in abilities being the same as the background characters? :D

Ay.. Character is complete. Idk why but creating characters is always really fun.

@RyuShura

Also, can you describe the Catalysts in a little more detail? I'm pretty stupid I don't quite understand xD

I'm just a little confused on how it works... And what exactly a catalyst is, like is it a gem, a rune, a random stone, etc. Like could I stick one on the Spark Launcher for example and make the clubbing part ignite?

@AssassinHD

They are objects that contain Aether, typically gems or crystals. Most are natural, but there have been discoveries lately whereby synthesized Catalysts are being tested and experimented. Think like a magical battery. Most technology in this world relies on this power. Not to say some real world principles are nonexistent, it's just Aether serves as the Fallen's primary weakness, so Alchemists often employ this into their tools in some way.

Catalysts are simply put, anything that prompts a reaction. In this case, the alchemists' tools/equipments are catalysts that prompts the activation of Aether, since they themselves are untalented in that regard and have difficulties doing it without external assistance. I may be wrong about the whole thing tho. Edit: Oh Ryu already got it covered.

Also, Louie's parents died in a freak potion accident, but his uncle continued to allow the little boy to continue with the practice despite his more experienced parents perishing and then even made him learn by himself through trial and error? Irresponsible!

RyuShura said:
@AssassinHD
They are objects that contain Aether, typically gems or crystals. Most are natural, but there have been discoveries lately whereby synthesized Catalysts are being tested and experimented. Think like a magical battery. Most technology in this world relies on this power. Not to say some real world principles are nonexistent, it's just Aether serves as the Fallen's primary weakness, so Alchemists often employ this into their tools in some way.
@RyuShura

Ohhhhh I see. thanks

Fenn said:
Catalysts are simply put, anything that prompts a reaction. In this case, the alchemists' tools/equipments are catalysts that prompts the activation of Aether, since they themselves are untalented in that regard and have difficulties doing it without external assistance. I may be wrong about the whole thing tho. Edit: Oh Ryu already got it covered.
Also, Louie's parents died in a freak potion accident, but his uncle continued to allow the little boy to continue with the practice despite his more experienced parents perishing and then even made him learn by himself through trial and error? Irresponsible!
@Fenn

Louie's uncle was dead. Louie tought himself through trial and error. At least that's what I meant to say, sorry if it's unclear.

Also, would it be better if I made it that the parents were sabotaged?

You should definitely write the events in chronological order or else you're going to get information jarring like this. First time reading I thought Louie murdered his parents in a freak accident. Regardless, the rest is alright, doesn't really matter too much. That and said, you should definitely try to simplify your explanations. The spark launcher, for example, was more longwinded than it needed to be.

@Fenn Louie was an infant. Probably kept well away from alchemical stuff. Again sorry if I'm not clear writing isn't my strong suit.

No I already realized things weren't in order. Though, he was still 6 when he started on potion brewing, which I'm sure his uncle didn't permit him to use any dangerous chemicals at the start. If he trialed and error after his uncle died then that's fine, it's on him. Also yeah, just keep practicing. Just work on grammar and organization - it's important we understand what you're trying to convey.

6 seemed to young. Changed it to 9.

Also, it's been editied. I hope it's a lot smoother now.

Thanks for the help @Fenn !

Really appreciate it!

Definitely more steady compared to before. Also I did nothing, only showed the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back