[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] Projects Discussion

Also, I had forgotten myself about Fangs' walls.

CI, would you mind adding that as a completed project in Wonders of the Empire?

JayTee said:
Yes! To the soon-to-be-rebuild Genesis lab! :D
Fangs: "I never really understood the point of a Genesis lab...it really does take all the fun out of creating new life."

Siham: "It would certainly save me time and resources if you wanted to be my dedicated breeding stock. Let me show you the pens."

First we make the fire-eating trees, then the giant garden worms, then we take the protoshinmaic vortex and put it inside...well, anything really. What do we need to have that requires limitless energy, and can also act as a self-destruct device in a pinch?

Kalak volunteers to design it. With Siham's help, given that he's the one with the mad Craft.

Siham will build the Protoshimanic Vortex, and it will go in to the Hand of the Great Maker. However this will only happen after he gains enough XP to buy "The Art of Permanence". That way we never have to worry about it destabilizing.

So I've been talking a lot of smack about my orbital death rays, but haven't shown anything for it. I thought I'd change that by laying out some basic "blueprints" and seeing how much I can get away with at the moment.

Basic model:

Self replicating to save on costs, requires genesis lab to accomplish.

Mote scanners to identify any unknown Essence expenditures in the form of Charms or Sorcery

Elsewhere Lasers teleport chunks of matter out of a target, causing it to implode. Human sized targets are simply reduced to bloody chunks, while more sizable targets have large portions teleported out of key locations (joins, spine, brain, major organs, support structures, engines, cockpits, etc) rendering them immobile and useless.

Elsewhere Lasers can be combined/supercharged to instantly remove extremely large targets, although this forces a cooldown (for example, teleporting Big K in to Elsewhere to solve that problem and put K in a safe place).

EDIT: May or may not be capable of casting pre-programed Terrestrial Sorcery Spells

I think we should break it down.

Part 1) "Self replicating" = alive.

While with all that Agatha left having living beings that react to specific essence pattern is not going to be a problem, what should the detection trigger?

I'll assume that Part 2 will be triggered.

Part 2) There must be some sort of intelligence that a) decides whether the essence user is actually a threat (how?) and b) aims the weapons.

Part 3) Implosion is not really practical given the low density of air.

Still, one would expect that having your chunks of meat Elsewhered would be damaging enough.

The big problem here is that usually you can't really Elsewhere something against its will.

Further, such a system would probably require a local Manse to be powered.

1: Yes, it would be alive (or more accurately a mix of biology and magitech), hence the need for the Genesis Lab. I suppose I could build a non-living version out of whatever Exalted has for Nanotech, I figure having it be alive would make the process easier.

2: The death rays would only scan the essence signature and figure out it's purpose. It would then relay that information to Siham, and he would order a strike if he felt it was needed. The aiming process would be largely automatic, think orbital predator drones.

3: The Implosion is a side-effect of having your bodymass teleported Elsewhere, not an additional effect ;) . I figure mechanically it would be modeled as an unblockable, unsoakable attack. The health levels aren't "lost" due to physical trauma, but because bits of you have been moved Elsewhere.

The Art of Permanence + Essence Capacitor Gems laughs at your silly power requirements. :D

1. If you keep it to purely genesis, these should be the easiest thing.

2. "only scan the essence signature and figure out its purpose" is something machines are really, really, really bad at.

3. Is there anything in the canon where elsewhering can be used offensively?

Care to state where is the Art of Permanence described, before laughing?

1: But biomechanics are so cooooooool

2: Where are you getting this from? I distinctly remember the opposite being true.

3: Lords of Creation, it makes it so your artifact is immune to conventional wear and tear.

EDIT: Re: elsewhereing stuff: Not to my knowledge, but I suppose I can go with boring old lasers if I must :(

1. Yes, but requires more black magic than you can have now.

2. It's AI-grade stuff. Our RL computers can't do it. The problem is that "purpose" is something ambiguously defined.

3. Wear and tear =/= depletion.

1: I has a sad. :(

2: I think we're using the word "purpose" differently. I'm saying that it would recognize that A: Essence was used, and B: what charm or sorcery the essence was used for.

3: I'll think of something else, then

2. Ok, assuming you have a database of all Charms (which means you have to decide what to do when you don't recognize the specific Charm) you get a spike of Lunar Essence, a Dex Excellency. What does your system do?

Well, yeah. It tells me that a Lunar used a Dex excellency, and then I push one of two buttons: Nuke/Ignore. The "Ignore" button just tells the system to ignore it, but the nuke button makes the targeting systems in the satellite focus on the Lunar and start shooting until there's nothing left.

Bugs that live all around and will go frenzy towards a specific essence flavor will solve point 2 as well.

You just notice when those around you start frenzying.

I have to ask, if the target is marked, recognized and destroyed either way, what difference does it make it I use essence canon satellites or bugs?

(Bugs were an option I considered, to be honest, but I figured I already had a fully functional magitec lab)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back