[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

My RL future prospects suck, so I make no promises about me and Exalted.

This said, I am waiting for someone to do something in Miracles of Life.

This is an atlatl:

Atlatl.jpg

It hurls darts -- longer than arrows, not as long as javelins. It doesn't have the Range of a bow, but does twice as much Damage. Flickering Claw's hunters use them.

Considerable time skip in the Miracle of Life thread for Fangs' stuff. And yeah, not using the built in roller for the volume of dice a demon summoning requires.

Arynne said:
Flicker is a claw strider, a beast used as a mount by Southeastern barbarians. The book doesn't give their land speed, but it says, oddly enough, that a tyrant lizard used as a mount can cover 50mi a day, although nowhere else are tyrant lizards described as beasts of burden...

Can I assume they meant a claw strider?

Or you can shift into a bird and hop on my shoulder while my horsie does the rest. It can go fast and is tireless as long as I spend 1m for 2 hours of efforts.
With nothing but a day's advance on foot we should be on him quickly.

@Arynne: it seems strange to me that a claw strider with a load can go at 2.5 times the speed that a charmed Solar reaches with a horse. oO

Also, the Tyrant lizard has better Sta and Res than the Strider, and its large stride is useful on difficult terrain.

(I'm considering Core numbers, I imagine that RL T Rex would be far clumsier and less resistant than Raptors).

Arynne said:
Not particularly good for tracking somebdy, though, as you've said. And what wbout Walker?
He can ride in the back... good thing about the charm is that there is no exhaustion from the mount due to efforts.

If the tracks are obvious enough (heavy combat boots + firedust smell) we could reach a reasonable speed with a trot.

Even if you take out 75% of the maximum speed allowed for tireless horse due to terrain and trotting to avoid loosing the tracks, we can still cover 150 miles within a day's ride.

As for the maximum distance covered by claw strider / tyrant lizard, considering the rules for physical exhaustion and long distance running use stamina + resistance, the horse rates at 5, the claw strider at 9 (considering the horse can cover 30 miles per day, I'd say 50 miles for a claw strider is a pretty reasonable estimation), and the Tyrant Lizard at 16 (that beast has dexterity 3, just like a horse so it can walk !).

Ok, so we have Malek and Walker on Malek's horse and Flicker in totem form, going at 30 miles per day?

Well if you consider Flicker can go all 50 miles per day, we can go that way, and if she shifts into something lighter we can go up to 600 miles / day.

cyl said:
if she shifts into something lighter we can go up to 600 miles / day.
Xarvh, would that add to our tracking difficulties?

*kicks herself again for not taking Blood on the Wind*

Obviously, which is why I suggested a reduction of 75% of the maximum distance... which still gives us a solid 150 miles per day.

Arynne said:
Xarvh, would that add to our tracking difficulties?
Wait, I'm confused.

So the idea is to go all on Malek's horse?

The firedust smell is much reduced after a few kms, so most of the tracking is done by eye, the footprints are decently easy to follow, as well as the broken vegetation, you should be able to go on without Flicker's smell.

Most of the path so far is still in Didee's jungle.

Well, if Flicker shifts into a smaller form we could continue our pursuit with a greater speed.

But if you say "no" to the horse in the jungles (which I could completely understand), then we're stuck with the 20 miles per day from my survival charm, which means we could catch up within 2 to 4 days (assuming he suffers penalties from the jungles and we do not thanks to Trackless Region Navigation).

The jungle is not so dense that it prevents the horse to walk, but it won't be able to travel much faster than a human.

Okay so we're using Trackless Region Navigation and getting the 20miles / day.

Hopefully he'll travel -25% - 50% slower, and we'll get him quickly.

Posting tonight.

Should River come along to help? With her aerial forms, it wouldn't be too hard to keep up the pace.

Sherwood said:
Should River come along to help? With her aerial forms, it wouldn't be too hard to keep up the pace.
Unless you want a scene all for yourself, you have better join along.

xarvh said:
The jungle is not so dense that it prevents the horse to walk, but it won't be able to travel much faster than a human.
Stat-wise, I think horses have a dexterity of three. Rhapsody's simhata has a dexterity of 3. Do animals have different mobility ratings?

Short distance sprints are based on dexterity + athletics, and long distance running uses stamina + resistance.

Creatures with ridiculously high stamina and a regular dexterity like tyrant lizard are serious threats not to be underestimated.

Claw striders are very well balanced creatures, and far superior mounts than horsies... and slightly better than simhatas IMHO

Their sprinting pool is 8 (horsie has 6) and their long distance pool is 9 (horsie has 5).

The only "problem" is they do not eat veggies... they need meat !

Also however cool they might be they are not really low profile mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back