[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

Oh, lots.

Personally, I wish we could just herd all the warghosts into one of Cross's streets and have you and Fangs cast DoOB from each end...but coordinating that could prove tricky. :P

And he plans on taking them as far away from the city as possible...

Defeating the numbers is not the real issue we can do that with time sweat and blood, having minimal casualties is more problematic here.

I would like a description of this RP to be sent to me via PM that is no longer then 100 words but at least a bit longer then what you have.

Which is "Glory is for those who build it".

Oh, yes, uhm... I guess we'll need also a logo or something?

Guys, suggestions?

What do we write for game description?

@Sher: Can you actually cast sorcery from inside the warstrider? oO

Oh well, if you can use the Claws... oO

Uhm, you are quite a peculiar unit (Mag 0) but I don't see why Walker can't tell River how to direct DOOB in the most effective way.

It would work pretty much as with Fangs.

I think that the mechanical effect we obtained is coherent with what described in the Core and what makes sense.

Now, we could argue whether DOOB is too powerful or not, especially because it could possibly be cast by a mortal, and it probably is and it is strange that supernatural armies do not prepare for it.

AFAIK, a warstrider counts as regular armor as far as any Charms, so why wouldn't it be the same for sorcery?

cyl said:
Simply the toughest, roughest, most interesting game ever ?!
I'll take it as a compliment.

Yet, I think the new boss wants something longer, more descriptive...

It can't be too descriptive with only 100 words. I had to do one up for my new game. I wonder how it will look when its all done.

IRL sucks for me right now, can't line up two straight thoughts.

Gonna take the week to post a clever post for Malek... but if you need to see what's going to happen with him: he's going for the jungles trying to get the ghosts to follow him (calling them a lot of names).

Also quick question: can praying to Didee do any good ? Malek doesn't know she's catatonic, but I figured, he saw her acting up once, maybe she can summon her army once again for the right reasons this time ?!

"In which a half-a-dozen Exalts, good intentions, and a small town at the ass end of Creation leads to death, fire, more than one animal mauling and hilarious hijinks" ?

xarvh said:
I think that the mechanical effect we obtained is coherent with what described in the Core and what makes sense.

Now, we could argue whether DOOB is too powerful or not, especially because it could possibly be cast by a mortal, and it probably is and it is strange that supernatural armies do not prepare for it.
I'd argue for a couple reasons why DOOB isn't actually too powerful, musing about it. In my entirely unbiased way of course.

• Sorcery has to be good for something. Beyond a few grossly easy to abuse spells, Demon of the First Circle and Imbue Amalgam, I'm looking at you - sorcery seems to fall into two clear categories. Utility spells, and City Busters. I'd suggest that the second category suggests that sorcerers should be good in mass combat, given they're especially *bad* at single combat and the Exalted were designed as weapons.
  • Yes, DOOB is castable by mortals. So is its counter-spell.
  • I'd guess supernatural armies do prepare for it. If we were facing Dragon Bloods, or some chittering Infernal horde, the odds of someone capable of going mano-a-mano with Fang's combat casting is pretty high. The Dead are just particularly ill suited for the task.
  • It doesn't scale. DOOB is always DOOB. A Full Moon Lunar can eventually pick up knacks and abilities that make them an Essence magnitude mass combat unit all their own.
  • It's weak against Exalts and heavy troops. It's relatively easy to defend against. Against heavy Realm troops, a half-decently equipped combat DB, Gunzosha, etc. it's only mildly dangerous.
  • Really, I think it may only look powerful in comparison because we, as a party, are utter chumps in combat. :oops:

I agree, especially with that last part :D

DOOB also has a nice effect in that its range can ultimately result in a chain of hits, it does not stop at the first unit, all the 30x100x10 area of effect get the full blast.

And IMHO, in battle, I can't picture a decent use for anything but a solo terrestrial level combat sorcerer in the front lines.

Just look at the spells and their effects, you really don't want to be around when they start casting, and most are only useful if the sorcerer is surrounded by enemies.

A simple fix would be to add a Maximum Magnitude Rating trait to spells and charms...

cyl said:
A simple fix would be to add a Maximum Magnitude Rating trait to spells and charms...
To be frank, in most games, I wouldn't be opposed to this.

But Exalted?

Bigger units just mean bigger combo points flashing on the screen.

Max Mag is not necessary.

Should Fang cast her screaming fireball, I'd never concede the full Magnitude+1 multiplier.

It is kinda arbitrary, but it makes easy to take into account the troop density and such.

Anyway, I'm happy that you guys are satisfied with the new mechanics, I think the solution is elegant and practical.

@cyl: Didee is not cathatonic, is badly sick due to a blight area within her domain.

Would that work out to be one attack for River and one for Walker?

Guys, you are speed 3 anyway...!

The rules do not contemplate the Leader attacking on his own, and I have just bent things to allow you two to act as a complimentary unit.

This is the reason you don't have a sorcerer lead a unit.

If later we want to review the rules, no problem, but I'd like to finish this scene without making a mess with mechanics.

Ok, ok. So maybe I'll fire off super death arrow at Legion on 22, and then at 25 River can go smashing again.

EDIT: Just to make absolutely sure I don't mess this up, do I make use of the same dice pool River is using, since we are a unit? Or do I use my smaller die pool since it's technically a special character attack?

xarvh said:
Max Mag is not necessary.
Should Fang cast her screaming fireball, I'd never concede the full Magnitude+1 multiplier.

It is kinda arbitrary, but it makes easy to take into account the troop density and such.

Anyway, I'm happy that you guys are satisfied with the new mechanics, I think the solution is elegant and practical.
Considering this bit, Brilliant Raptor seems...a markedly inferior spell, all told, than DooB. It looks like the initial nasty impact is a single target, with only the ensuing firestorm being AoE, and even that's only a 3 yard radius and 4L/Trauma 3 damage. It's got a nice DoT effect on it, but with that much of a smaller area, it seems better suited to single-target or very small unit attacks.

This is not a complaint, but rather a request for someone to check my math.

@Norts: You use Dex+Ability for your attacks as normal, and Wits+War to coordinate the attacks of others.

So your arrow goes with your normal dicepool, Dex+Archery.

@Norts: You use Dex+Ability for your attacks as normal, and Wits+War to coordinate the attacks of others.

So your arrow goes with your normal dicepool, Dex+Archery.

@CrazyIvan: Indeed.

3 yard radius against such large units would barely grant a x2 on the Trauma damage, if that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back