[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

Kacie said:
Thanks - I know how Mirror will react, but I'm going to wait to post until after Arynne/Flicker replies. Mirror is focused on Flicker and the orichalcum daiklave.
I have a baaad feeling about this. :D

xarvh said:
@Feantari: does it annoy you so much? :confused:
Sort of? Its more of a story discontinuity thing. Just having to reconcile past decisions the character made in the face of the new character sheet. I'm not all rawr everything in stone now grrr or anything. Just that Siham has had some pretty major re-works and it rather changes how the character would have likely acted in past scenes. (which in turn makes it hard to refer to past events in character and not break something)

I care myself fire continuity, which is why I didn't allow jaytee to remove stealth.

Still, this is not a one man work, and wehave to compromise.

On my part I think that Siham, as a character, had plenty of time to grow up abs his recent recent successes more than justify a new and more confident attitude.

If you have a better suggestion on how to maintain consistency while allowing a player with an inherited character to play on his terms, please share your ideas.

I don't, but since we aren't expecting another change of hands it would be nice to limit future reworks of this scale imo.

What are thoughts on dino character? Is to happen soon? I have such itchings for infernal type things, but would be rather morally grey.. seems like that fits in well now though.. :-P

Yup. He could come in handy now.

As for rewrites... I like where jt is going, and that xarvh is keeping it real.

Uhhh, this could be interesting.

Who would like to play a couple of Raptoks from Ankss?

I may also be able to fit an autobot or two...

I think both Mirror and Fangs are trying to take their cues from Flicker. I suspect we'll need our own scene eventually, but that can wait.

@Arynne - Is there a way to help Flicker deal with this emotionally? A long post-crisis chat with Fangs on the nature of Lunar-ness?

I too thought the gods were Dragon Kings. Since they are humans, Fangs sees no reason to let this run it's course. Its...

Sexy Social Combat Time.

Edit to my previous post incoming.

Yeah, Flicker needs some sisterly advice.

Especially if she's going to the big Lunar powow when it happens.

Indeed. Flicker was just about to start shouting and trying to wave an unattuned Grand Daiklave around, and that could not have ended well.

When all you have is a hammer...

While it does make a great scene to have Flicker & Fangs chat, I find Flicker’s… recurrent flickering a bit disturbing.

Doesn’t she feels too fragile for someone who’s been trained by Dragon Kings (not commonly known to be the most cuddling of mentors) and chosen for the Full Moon Caste ?

It’s not as bad as HAM, and she’s not as weakened by her solar Bond to Malek as Fangs is with Mirror but still.

cyl said:
While it does make a great scene to have Flicker & Fangs chat, I find Flicker’s… recurrent flickering a bit disturbing.
Doesn’t she feels too fragile for someone who’s been trained by Dragon Kings (not commonly known to be the most cuddling of mentors) and chosen for the Full Moon Caste ?

It’s not as bad as HAM, and she’s not as weakened by her solar Bond to Malek as Fangs is with Mirror but still.
Keep in mind that a Lunar's caste isn't a "calling" like a Solar's is. It's "We have to pick one and lock you in it or you'll turn into a gibbering probability monster". That's all it is - River and Fangs sitting down one say and going "You seem the violent type..."

This is also why Cunning Fangs is an utterly shit priestess, despite the fact that she's a No Moon.

As for her wavering - I think it's perfectly legitimate to play coming out of Relentless Lunar Fury as a somewhat horrifying experience, and given Flicker has a very strong protector vibe, identifies heavily with the Dragon Kings, and has been trying to bring Ankss to something resembling a peaceful resolution, I think having the outcome of her actions be a failure to protect Ankss from the swiftly coming Fangs/Mirror war, having killed an elder Dragon King (it's one thing to talk about it in theory, and another to actually do it), the Dragon Kings of Ankss looking at her with such disgust that they discard their traditions rather than respect her, and had the aftermath descend into viciously violent human-on-human riot would be a pretty serious blow to anyone's character.

You also suggest that the Solar Bond is the source of Fangs' weakness, but is also the source of the absolute, unassailable certainty that there is one being in Creation who is fully "on her side". Flicker very clearly doesn't have that.

I'm also not going to give anyone grief about how they choose to play their character. That road ends up nowhere good.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this DK thing... I put up a draft sheet awhile ago, granted as it being one of the eggs grown up. I'll work up some back story type things.. how should I handle char creation? IIRC there are things to do with age or enlightenment or some such.. don't have the book in front of me atm...

Echoing Crazy Ivan and Xarvh. This scene is critical for Flicker - she's both won and lost horribly.

@Arynne - if you want to chat or bounce ideas, please feel free to PM me. I'm happy to act as a sounding board.

Well, I'm certainly glad my roleplaying choices meet with the Storyteller's approval! *whew*

CrazyIvan said:
Keep in mind that a Lunar's caste isn't a "calling" like a Solar's is. It's "We have to pick one and lock you in it or you'll turn into a gibbering probability monster". That's all it is - River and Fangs sitting down one say and going "You seem the violent type..."

Precisely. Steel Falcon, the incarnation she remembers and identifies with the most, was a Half Moon.

As for her wavering - I think it's perfectly legitimate to play coming out of Relentless Lunar Fury as a somewhat horrifying experience, and given Flicker has a very strong protector vibe, identifies heavily with the Dragon Kings, and has been trying to bring Ankss to something resembling a peaceful resolution, I think having the outcome of her actions be a failure to protect Ankss from the swiftly coming Fangs/Mirror war, having killed an elder Dragon King (it's one thing to talk about it in theory, and another to actually do it), the Dragon Kings of Ankss looking at her with such disgust that they discard their traditions rather than respect her, and had the aftermath descend into viciously violent human-on-human riot would be a pretty serious blow to anyone's character.
This.

CI is right -- most of Flicker's vacillations come from the multiple conflicting areas of stewardship she has, where helping one seems to involve betraying the others.She has multiple factions and individuals with a claim on her, frequently with very different needs, goals and priorities. She attempted to balance them in this scene, only to have...a less than fantastic outcome. And now everyone seems to be giving her conflicting messages again. For someone whose loyalty and reliance on traditional values are her strongest characteristics, this is literally maddening.

I don't see her reaction as out of place for a student of the Dragon Kings. Ever since her arrival, she's been getting everything she believed and expected completely turned upside down, from the behavior and attitudes of her mate to the racist and irrational Dragon Kings of Ankss. Now she tries to solve a situation by appealing to traditional, honorable behavior, and seen it all go grotesquely wrong and have her very victory inspire further hatred. I guarantee, a DK in her place would suffer even more cognitive dissonance.

You also suggest that the Solar Bond is the source of Fangs' weakness, but is also the source of the absolute, unassailable certainty that there is one being in Creation who is fully "on her side". Flicker very clearly doesn't have that.
This again. The last time she had absolute, unassailable certainty of anything was when she was in the Lost Valley. No, Dragon Kings aren't "cuddly", but her (or her Exaltation's at least) relationship with Lat'c and Eneg Erag dates back literally to the beginning of time. Plus, Flickering Claw herself is basically a direct-actionist. Such subtlety as she possesses has been acquired through contact with more devious minds. And the Valley was a place of clear objectives and undivided loyalties.

@Arynne : so you mean that, despite all the signals, Flicker still had some hope that this Ankss business was going to be handled using reason and the weight of sacred traditions ?

If so, yeah I understand better the way it went down in her head. She had hope and was proven oh so wrong. It must be a sad moment for her indeed.

Forget I said anything, didn't see things from that perspective. :)

@CrazyIvan : I speak of that bond because while the mate is different with every incarnation, Fangs' bond isn't. Mirror could have been a complete asshole (see Widow / HAM...) or could be tormenting Fangs like her mate did in the First Age because solars and their twisted versions have that kind of independence over lunars who can be loyal to a flaw.

That certainty is an "illusion" dictated by the shard... and on principle, I have no idea how or if a Lunar can lower their solar bond, or if it is even acceptable to raise it through xp... somehow, I'm guessing it isn't.

The bond is indeed less strong between Flicker / Malek as it always has been. The two have been working together for thousands of years, but they have no problem leaving each other side in critical moments to further their common objectives. We've been playing the "emotional connection" on the human side with Arynne, and less the shard-past lives stuff.

It's a very different kind of connection, and obviously it takes more time to develop into something as strong and overwhelming as Fangs' bond, and there are obviously often hiccups down the road, but I highly disagree with that "on her side" point.

Apart from the monster thread where Malek pushed things veeeeery far to protect all the parties involved from a nuclear conflict, Malek has been nothing but supportive with her.

I'd even go as far as saying he tried to stop her from getting to that place she's in right now suggesting other ways besides the duel, considering it had a rather small chance of success.

Obviously after his little detour in the Labyrinth, his reason for supporting her are nothing like what it was before he got brain-raped, but still. He knows she needs to be on top of her game if the two of them are to go anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back