[Emperors of the Fading Suns] [Emperors of the Fading Suns] OOC Thread

It definitely won't prevent me from playing or enjoying the game, but still doesn't make much sense.

Eh, at the end of the day, Wood spiders are dickish forrest critters, so it's the same either way.

It really doesn't make much sense...unless the Wood Spiders were stolen from another elemental family originally, like the Serpent-and-Egg elementals were?

Edit: read the post; looks like it was just a typo and he meant to say "Wood".

What exactly aren't you liking about 3E? Everything I've heard about it is making me want it more.

Aw yeah, rolled... my bad ^^

I must say, I'm not really comfortable with that practice.

There are elements of choice in the focus of a character when it comes to rolling dice in Exalted.

You've got so many ways to alter the result of a roll (powers, wp, virtue channel and simply stunts) that rolling for the players kind of deprives them of involving their pcs in what is going on in the scene.

It sure isn't really practical in pbp mode, but even as a ST it's good to leave that sort of things to the players, because their level of focus/involvement (and success) can push you to find new directions because you have to make more shit up that you originally planned for...

That... and we don't get extra xp if we don't get a chance to make a cool stunt :P

BTW who in the group has learned that the Widow was "hiding" inside Juggernaut ?

Not that I am very enthusiast about getting Malek near that damn thing or Words again anytime soon, but that chick kinda holds one important card for our future and she seems like a valuable asset... we might want to get in touch with her if she still breathes that is...

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually I roll for trivial knowledge, it makes things go faster.

HAM gave the Widow's location away to Flicker.

No, but you can have all my love and esteem instead.

Uh, actually, scratch that.

I still have to give you the XPs for three Scenes.

Have been two days without sleeping. T_T

Hey guys, check out my latest post about Ankss.

I think I have found a decent enough strategy to win on most sides, get Wlfsam back in the game with quite a nice and fitting role, and have a full group scene (it's been a while).

It's not 100% secure because a lot of things can go wrong (which is why the whole group should be present if we're caught in an epic battle instead of a single duel) but I think it is worth a try... and if it doesn't work out, wel... either we seize control after the DK turned on us, or Fangs & Mirror can have their way with Ankss later on once we have made it clear to Two Wolrds that they are not representing Cross.

Hey - I'm back from my vacation, and caught up IC & OOC.

Mirror is waiting on the Ankss situation right now.

As a refresher, Mirror's main goals are to retrieve Barek's artifacts, and to reclaim the Manse. She would *like* the head of the being that killed her predecessor, but that's a point she's willing to negotiate on and to give up if needed. The artifacts and the manse are her Must Haves.

She has no opinion on the Autocthonians.

Manse, absolutely, Artifacts eeeeeh not so sure.

Considering they are made of soulsteel, and probably regarded as unholy it's likely the DK sent them away or hid them, but I'll look into it.

Who knows, maybe they like to keep trophies... they did send us his head in a box after all.

Malek is really conflicted about the DKs responsible for Berek's death... on one hand they killed his friend and butchered him, on the other hand, they were misguided, so considering the whole self development theme Fangs introduced him to, I don't see him seeking revenge.

Plus If we do kill them, then Tirana and the guys from Sanctuary who offed Callen because he was trespassing are next.

Welcome back Kacie!

Speaking of Artifacts, I want to build two of them and need some feedback.

First Artifact - Siham's Tome: A magical book that holds all the knowledge of Agatha's library. (Basically a backup in case we're forced to destroy the library, lest it fall in to the wrong hands)

Second Artifact - Scrolls of Shared Pages: Seven rolls of paper that never seem to run out. Anything written on one of them is automatically shared between the other six. (basically a texting system for the Exalts of Cross to share notes and keep each other updated)

The head DK also has one of Mirror's First Age predecessor's major Artifacts, that orichalcum sword he carries on his back. She will insist on that, too.

And yes, she wants the soulsteel bow as well. It's a weapon, she needs it. It's better than the jade powerbow she's borrowing from the Cross. The DKs have no need of it, and from a certain point of view, they brought this on themselves by refusing to see/meet with Barek. Barek attempted to free the slaves without resorting to violence - it was his attempt to do right and also refute the Neverborn's thirst for violence.

They proved him wrong, by resorting to violence and killing him. Now they have to deal with Mirror instead, who has absolutely *no* problem with using violence. The cycle of (re)incarnation is at play here, and the DKs didn't respect that. This chapter is also the story of that coming back to bite them, hard.

Edit: Think about if this had happened to Malek (the DKs killing him, sending his head back to the Cross, keeping Malek's artifacts). I know it's hard to project to the next incarnation without having made the character, but however the next incarnation feels about the situation, it's going to be pivotal for them and for Flicker. Even if the next incarnation is ready to forgive and forget.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Think about if this had happened to Malek (the DKs killing him, sending his head back to the Cross, keeping Malek's artifacts). I know it's hard to project to the next incarnation without having made the character, but however the next incarnation feels about the situation, it's going to be pivotal for them and for Flicker. Even if the next incarnation is ready to forgive and forget.
You do realize that Malek just got captured, tortured, almost converted to the Void and got all of his shit stolen right ? :D

And yet neither Arynne nor I have made a single IC comment about taking any step towards revenge so far.

This kind of personal story arc is well and good when you have ample room to maneuver, but we (the Circle) honestly do not.

The might of Ankss was not enough to overpower us because we are badasses, but if they had previously engaged us, they would have dealt some serious damage before we stopped them... if we had let you engage them earlier, we would have made dangerous enemies but it still was more or less manageable.

Now Two Worlds are involved, the situation has changed. Radically.

It's not all about Mirror & Fangs anymore, it becomes about the Dominion, the most important character in our story and when he's involved we simply have to step aside when we must.

I understand that this is personal and important for both Mirror and Fangs, Malek has now 3 major enemies he'd like to take care of: Legion for sacking his hometown, Void Heart for taking him down and Words for breaking him. trust me, he aches for revenge even more so than Mirror can, because this happened to him in the here and now... and he has been hurt plenty.

Probably as much if not more than Fangs I'd say.

But it doesn't matter. He chooses not to give into that cycle of hatred because Fangs came along and said "let it go bro, walk on a higher path", and it means dropping his personal aspirations to do what's needed, with a mind now unclouded by anger.

If avenging a friend's death means exposing fragile Cross, then he'll sit on what he wants and do what the Dominion needs... that's pretty much his whole theme right there: selflessness.

Now... it's not written in the stars that things will unfold like Malek has planned...

Fangs & Mirror may still get their vengeance either when the DK go berserk or afterwards when an alliance with Two Worlds is secured... I'm not shutting doors, I'm trying to open new ones.

Manse, absolutely, Artifacts eeeeeh not so sure.

Considering they are made of soulsteel, and probably regarded as unholy it's likely the DK sent them away or hid them, but I'll look into it.

Who knows, maybe they like to keep trophies... they did send us his head in a box after all.
First - Flicker has traveled to see her sifu, got his blessing for the ritual challenge, and Mirror has placed her trust in Flicker to handle this situation via the ritual challenge. Flicker does the challenging, and it's within the DK culture that she can do so; likewise, from what has been discussed, Flicker can set terms, too. This challenge bypasses the issue of the Autocthonians, as it's DK ritual, not an ambush or a declaration of war. If the DK respect it, then the Autocthons need to as well.

Second, what's it to Malek if Mirror gets a soulsteel bow? You were telling me to go up the archery tree just the other day.

Again - replying to the lecture above - Flicker initiating a DK challenge isn't a declaration of war, and is a good way to nip the DK-Autocthon alliance without starting a war.

JayTee said:
Naw, I'm of the philosophy that we should convert what we can and kill what we can't.
Normally I'd agree but it doesn't work that way in Exalted because of one simple thing; reincarnation.

Your most powerful enemies never stay dead for long... so killing them is just a way to delay their inevitable return... but if you capture them and cut them from the source of their power (normally motes), then you truly dominate the situation.

All we need is the proper application of strength and cunning, a few hundred pairs of 4 dots Manacles of the Night, we lock our enemies in a Orichalcum Prison (Jade is for sissies :D !) and voila, Creation is ours again.

First - Flicker has traveled to see her sifu, got his blessing for the ritual challenge, and Mirror has placed her trust in Flicker to handle this situation via the ritual challenge. Flicker does the challenging, and it's within the DK culture that she can do so; likewise, from what has been discussed, Flicker can set terms, too. This challenge bypasses the issue of the Autocthonians, as it's DK ritual, not an ambush or a declaration of war. If the DK respect it, then the Autocthons need to as well.
That is one big if. I don't think they are dumb enough to not consider that we have twisted their code to take advantage of our power and that therefore we weren't as honorable as we claimed to be.

Finally I kind of remember having the impression that he really didn't like her, especially for trying to mimic a Raptok... which is why I thought of Rhapsody who can fight and at the same time deliver essence charged public speeches like no one else as a potential candidate.

If she wins a duel vs the Elder, then the Raptoks are more likely to stay and be converted by her... dunno what Arynne thinks of it, she's still the one calling the shots here, I'm just giving her options.

Second, what's it to Malek if Mirror gets a soulsteel bow? You were telling me to go up the archery tree just the other day.
I was pointing out that you should not automatically assume that Berek's stuff is still in Ankss, because you might be disappointed in the end, and I was offering to check for you if it still actually was... what made you think I was hostile to the idea of Mirror getting Berek's bow back ?

Again - replying to the lecture above - Flicker initiating a DK challenge isn't a declaration of war, and is a good way to nip the DK-Autocthon alliance without starting a war.
If the DK respect the ritual, which isn't exactly a given because they are not really respecting solars like they used to be so maybe they don't care about duels anymore...

Their leader is proud and fierce and if he did a good job at brainwashing his younger brothers, they might solidarize against us.

It is a risk, and if it becomes a reality then we'll have to face them and then face the consequences of facing them.

Ankss has already declared to Two Worlds that Cross is a threat to the DK... if things go bad and we kill them all we may lose any chances of befriending the Autobots.

The real point I'm trying to make here is that it's not that we conquer Ankss that matters, that is going to happen one way or another, it's that we need this alliance with Two Worlds for the future and we may deteriorate our situation if we are not careful with the way we take Ankss. Which is why I suggested that we should invite them to be witnesses at the duel, to show them that we are not the bad guys Ankss told them we were and that we do not do things that will make them lose opportunities behind their backs.

If the DK do turn on us and people from TW are there to see that, then Ankss becomes the bad guy and Cross looks strong and healthy.

Considering what happened the last time they contacted us (the Legion just rampaged through Cross with her ghosts while the Traveller was rigging the Library with explosives and snatching Agatha's notes away...) and that we never saw each other again... I think we could really use earning some good points with them.

It it works, it's a big win: we get your stuff back, a potential additional territory, DK troops and one step further down the path of securing an alliance with a significant Dominion.

If it doesn't and the DK turn on us, we only lose the DK... unless we go non lethal... and then managing several dozen DK captives throughout reeducation is going to be a bitch.

Cyl, if you're talking about Dragon Kings reincarnating, then it's a moot issue because no matter how hard they try, they'll never be a real threat to us.

If you're talking about other Exalts, I might be inclined to agree with you if their reincarnations worked like the Dragon Kings. But they don't, each newly incarnated Celestial Exalt is effectively a blank slate.

So, convert them to our cause if we can, kill them if we can't and try again on their next incarnation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back